Gavin Seim

Northland10

Re: Gavin Seim

Post by Northland10 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:54 pm
On the other end of the spectrum: if you've got 600 years to spare, you can head to Halberstadt, Germany and hear a live performance of "As Slow As Possible". It started in 2001, but you've only missed the first six or seven notes.
I'm an organist so I remember the exciting news when they started the blower. :rockon:
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:17 pm

boots wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:23 pm
Gavin's been blabbering about how Mexico is freer than the United States for over a year now.

In that time he has documented:

4. He can't legally own a car because of tranny rules and regulations
I think I read that wrong. :bag:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 am

Off Topic
Because of a poot misspelling, we often use 'tranny' instead of 'tyranny'. But if that offends some people, maybe we should stop. That's a little different than 'baned' or 'brunt toast'.
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 am

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 am
Off Topic
Because of a poot misspelling, we often use 'tranny' instead of 'tyranny'. But if that offends some people, maybe we should stop. That's a little different than 'baned' or 'brunt toast'.
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=8839&p=838101&hilit=Libety#p838101
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 am

Off Topic
Ah yes, thanks Maybenaut!
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:54 am

Off Topic
But "Tyranny Hunter" just doesn't quite cut it as a book title.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:24 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 am
Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 am
Off Topic
Off Topic
TBH, I really wish the usage would go away. I get the joke, but find it really cringy and I have to be careful about showing threads to my trans friends.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 am

I could set the word censor to change tranny to tyranny, but is tranny really a slur? I remember when I wouldn't allow the word 'fag' (or maybe it was faggot?) and one of our gay members was offended that he couldn't use the word. Us poor victimized straight white old men have trouble navigating these things. :violin:

Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:53 am

libety-or-tranny.jpg
For those who have not seen this piece of pootery :daydream:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Delusion: A poot who thinks that he/she is one of "we the people." ;)

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 am
I could set the word censor to change tranny to tyranny, but is tranny really a slur? I remember when I wouldn't allow the word 'fag' (or maybe it was faggot?) and one of our gay members was offended that he couldn't use the word. Us poor victimized straight white old men have trouble navigating these things. :violin:
Personally I would not be in favor of censoring it, but I think it is worth bringing up now and then since it is an active slur still used against trans peeps with significant meaning.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Foggy wrote:
Words can have multiple meanings, and in the case of this one, the meaning used on TFB is pretty clear. It is rude and inconsiderate to refer to transfolk as 'trannies'. But we're not referring to them, we're mocking the illiterate RWNJs and their notoriously poor spelling.

Perhaps a compromise would be to make a .gif or smiley of that 'tranny' sign and use that when commenting here.
I've heard this bull before.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:11 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm
Foggy wrote:
Words can have multiple meanings, and in the case of this one, the meaning used on TFB is pretty clear. It is rude and inconsiderate to refer to transfolk as 'trannies'. But we're not referring to them, we're mocking the illiterate RWNJs and their notoriously poor spelling.

Perhaps a compromise would be to make a .gif or smiley of that 'tranny' sign and use that when commenting here.
I think it caught on for mocking RWNJs in part because many of them despise LBTQ people and claim "Judeo-Christian" values while traveling with guns, pink dildos, and a Tranny Hunter tape.

This is not intended a an opinion for keeping or not keeping the use. Just an observation. If it is problematic, I will avoid using the term.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Raven

Post by Raven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Foggy wrote:
Given that we live in an era where words or phrases increasingly develop multiple meanings I would personally think that the context of how a word or phrase is used would be the determinative factor in whether or not it is being directed towards a particular group.

My reading of how tranny was used in this situation was clearly not directed towards a group targeted for their sexual/gender orientation.

Somewhere along the way in todays society, good old fashioned reading comprehension and understanding that the context of the same word and/or phrases does matter in determining if something is offensive or if it is just a blanket taboo in lieu of accepting multiple meanings do exist.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Raven wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Given that we live in an era where words or phrases increasingly develop multiple meanings I would personally think that the context of how a word or phrase is used would be the determinative factor in whether or not it is being directed towards a particular group.

My reading of how tranny was used in this situation was clearly not directed towards a group targeted for their sexual/gender orientation.

Somewhere along the way in todays society, good old fashioned reading comprehension and understanding that the context of the same word and/or phrases does matter in determining if something is offensive or if it is just a blanket taboo in lieu of accepting multiple meanings do exist.
As Burt would put it, mocking the euphemisms of educational jargon, I'm exceptional - a democratic term used to avoid the damning labels of gifted and deprived (which used to mean bright and retarded) and as soon as exceptional begins to mean anything to anyone they'll change it. The idea seems to be: use an expression only as long as it doesn't mean anything to anybody.
-- Flowers for Algernon

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 pm

Raven wrote:
Eh, but we are also talking about a 'multiple meaning' created by this (general) community because they (a) thought it was funny and (b) did not find it personally offensive.
No, but it is the same word, and using it so lightly is really not cool.
Would you be as comfortable with this if someone grabbed another more mainstream offensive word used to describe people of colour, or jews, or even homosexuals and said 'hey, this word is really funny, let us use it as an insult, but it is ok because we are not applying it to the marginalized group that historically has it used against them, context absolves us!

Raven

Post by Raven » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:18 pm

neeneko wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 pm
Raven wrote:
Eh, but we are also talking about a 'multiple meaning' created by this (general) community because they (a) thought it was funny and (b) did not find it personally offensive.
No, but it is the same word, and using it so lightly is really not cool.
Would you be as comfortable with this if someone grabbed another more mainstream offensive word used to describe people of colour, or jews, or even homosexuals and said 'hey, this word is really funny, let us use it as an insult, but it is ok because we are not applying it to the marginalized group that historically has it used against them, context absolves us!
My short answer is that taking something deliberately out of context to in effect manufacture an offense is not just bizarre but is in and of itself offensive.

My truck has a tranny in it. Should that be taken to mean slang for a transmission or a sexual inference?

Yes context and thus reading comprehension and analytical skills do matter.

boots

Post by boots » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:23 pm

I can see why some might not want us to use that term, hadn't thought of those angles. I'm ok with whatever. I have a transgender family member, and mean no offense when I use it (which is only on this board where it carries a specific meaning); to me it means to illustrate the stupidity of poot subculture, but there are plenty of other words for that.

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Raven wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:18 pm
So does awareness of a larger context. I can recall years ago listening to people get a big laugh out of using 'niggardly' to make fun of people, and if anyone pointed out the racial connotation they would get out their dictionaries and talk about how it means 'stingy' so it was fine for them to use, and we were taking them out of context because we wanted to be offended.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Gavin has a few other posts (and photos) about his daughter's ballet recital. "One picture is worth a 1,000 words."
"cool meeting room" = positive description. But it is really just an other pathetic attempt to insult the USA. :roll:
Gavin Seim
17 hrs ·
The cool meeting room where Anna had her ballet recital. I know in the USA parents would be offended by the art on the wall, but you have to remember that the most easily offended tend to be the most insane and abusive and the USA is king in that area. Just enjoy the view.

► Show Spoiler
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Off Topic
Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 am
Off Topic
Ah yes, thanks Maybenaut!
You know what Foghat. The first transsexual that I had the pleasure of meeting, her name was Kim. I was 23 years old and mostly out and proud. I could not wrap my head around the concept of trans -- I was too young.

Kim (real name), was a father, with teenagers at home, and husband. Fell in love with a dear friend of mine, Linda. She is gay.

I remember trying to process this? "You are a dude wanting to be with women, but you want to be a woman?" I found truth, but it was a process. And his teenage kids were confused.

Kim died of heart failure around 50 yo. They attributed the death in part to the hormone treatments and part that she didn't take care of herself. :boxing:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Gav is not familiar with art, apparently, or he might have recognized one of the most famous paintings in the western world. Think I may start calling him Mr. Haney.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:09 pm

He managed to use ONE Spanish word. :roll: His English is crappy also.
bunch of photos FROM instead of OF ??
MADE all of these instead of TOOK ??

hermosas
Translations of hermosas
adjective
beautiful

photos from all the beautifuls

#dumbazz
Gavin Seim added 72 new photos.
13 hrs ·
Latinos like every type of dance from around the world. Anna is doing Ballet this year and here's a bunch of photos from all the hermosas at her recital. I made all of these on the XT3 with a 90mm f2

<not posting his photo album = Anna's Mexico Recital 2019 >
<the album title seems weird to me. I would use "Anna's Ballet Recital" and maybe more details.>
► Show Spoiler
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:08 pm
Gav is not familiar with art, apparently,
What? :shock: Have you not seen his photography?

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm

neeneko wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm
Raven wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:18 pm
So does awareness of a larger context. I can recall years ago listening to people get a big laugh out of using 'niggardly' to make fun of people, and if anyone pointed out the racial connotation they would get out their dictionaries and talk about how it means 'stingy' so it was fine for them to use, and we were taking them out of context because we wanted to be offended.
I was just waiting for that word to come up. There is no racial connotation to that word. It's been in use since the mid-1500s, hundreds of years before slavery became an issue in Europe, much less in the (then non-existent) US.

There used to be an urban legend claiming that 'picnic' was a racist word. No, that isn't either, despite people who continue to believe otherwise.

Photoguy

Post by Photoguy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:52 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:08 pm
Gav is not familiar with art, apparently, or he might have recognized one of the most famous paintings in the western world. Think I may start calling him Mr. Haney.
I don't think they covered that in home school. Probably spent their time dealing with more important things like what kind of dinosaurs Jesus rode.

Return to “Sovereign Citizens, Private Militias, and Citizen Grand Juries”