Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Strange But Random Events In Your Everyday Life

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Strange But Random Events In Your Everyday Life

Post by RTH10260 »

Why? Future archaeologists green slimy creatures will try to answer the question: why did humans keep their Gods in jars?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Brains in jars was a punchline in the Jokes thread.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Azastan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:55 pm A few years ago the Puyallup Fair became the Washington State Fair, and the Fair Board wanted to introduce a new exhibit--Horse Breeds of the World. I volunteered to take myself and Azastan to be ambassadors of the Arabian breed, and we were there at the fair for part of a week, allowing the public to meet (and illegally pet!) an Arabian horse.
Are you planning to take Azastan back to the Puyallup? I wanted to meet him back in 2016 or 2017, but I had a conflict and couldn't get out to the Fair.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Azastan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:55 pm A few years ago the Puyallup Fair became the Washington State Fair, and the Fair Board wanted to introduce a new exhibit--Horse Breeds of the World. I volunteered to take myself and Azastan to be ambassadors of the Arabian breed, and we were there at the fair for part of a week, allowing the public to meet (and illegally pet!) an Arabian horse.
Are you planning to take Azastan back to the Puyallup? I wanted to meet him back in 2016 or 2017, but I had a conflict and couldn't get out to the Fair.
I'd like to, if given the opportunity. Last year, of course, no fair. I'm not sure if they are having the Horse Breeds of the World this year or not, assuming that the fair will be open for business. If they do, I will volunteer Az to be there to do some Arabian meet n' greet, because she really enjoyed being the center of attention!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:28 am :snippity:

He told me we're probably going to be extinct in 200 years. :shock:

Maybe I need to revise my plan.
I give civilization about 50 years and another hundred at most of Mad Max sequels.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:42 am
I give civilization about 50 years and another hundred at most of Mad Max sequels.
I knew there was a reason I was saving those assless chaps.... :think:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

All chaps are assless.
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:48 pm All chaps are assless.
:cantlook:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:48 pm All chaps are assless.
I always giggle when I see people talking about 'assless' chaps, because you are correct.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

MOST people have no idea what chaps look like, so it helps to provide the visual. :mrgreen:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

How about this rain?

Enough with assless chaps unless you work Zooey Deschanel in the sentence.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Last Friday was an example of Life telling me to slow down and breath.

A gamer software company's ten year old carrier class multigigabit microwave we put in died during the Big Heat a couple weeks ago. NLA/NLS. The market has comparible products, but none compatible. Gotta buy new. Carrier class equipment still costs about $19K, but of course the web sells "the same thing" for $600. Okay. Well, it sounds like you have made your decision. Good luck, and call me if I can be of assistance.

Next stop - PDX. New construction, and I'm on a build schedule, but stuff isn't arriving on schedule. It's a step forward, and a half step back the entire project. Friday was going to be a half step forward at best. Slog through traffic, slog through security, slog through the other trades as they close areas for their exclusive work making my path to my area circuitous, and slog through project managers who were glad to see me - do you have a moment? But, the simple task got completed.

Next - meet a new OEM rep on a hilltop site to show him an important client's system equipment. He's new to the work, new to the area, and super eager to download my brain. But, I found out he has The Touch of Crap, and he's dangerous with a screwdriver. A normally well behaved low maintenance site suddenly experienced cascading failures. On a Friday afternoon. It doesn't bode well for him. My Angels must have taken the day off for the beach leaving us with his Demons to ravage the machines. I got a couple Angels back, and restored service, but it was not what I wanted to have happen.

It's the end of the pay period, and I have to run back to approve time sheets. More Friday traffic. More last minute requests before folks head out the door for the weekend. But, it got done by 7pm.

Fine. That means traffic should be done. Should be an elevator ride home. Nope. Maps says the arteries are clogged with accidents. But, I have a path home on other streets. Everyone else's Maps said the same thing, and I putt home in first and second gear behind landscapers, moving trucks, and semis that should not have taken this road at all. A nineteen mile commute took an hour ten to happen.

Fill up the gas tank, and decide Domino's is a good choice for dinner. Make the order, and pay the price while at the station. CLICK. The pump stops. All the pumps stop. Everything is dark at the station. Fuggit. I paid by credit card. I'm outta here. Cradle the nozzle, and head down the road despite the mulings of the young attendant. I'm getting dinner dude.

Hi. I'd like my Order. (What name?) Bill (uhhhh ... phone number?) 503******* (Uhhhh ... just a minute ... so what do I do ....blah blah - oh okay ... so sir, the system has been acting up and we don't have your order .....) Fine. Goes with the day. Place the order in person at the counter, pay for it again, and wait outside because this Dominos is still enforcing Covid protocols. This actually went right. They had me taken care of in fifteen minutes, and I was on the final leg of my trip home. Woohoo.

Oh, but wait. I have to step through the door before it counts. And that means parking the truck, bringing in the garbage cans, and trying to avoid neighbors. FAIL. Two neighbors want to catch up in the driveway, and tell me about their day. ! There goes twenty minutes, and I have not successfully barracaded myself inside yet.

Mrs was concerned I was so late. It was like told days of me leaving at 0630 and not getting home before 8pm. Got her up, made her dinner, got her meds, kibbitzed for a bit while we ate. I am used to luke warm pizza. It was good to breath.

When Life says slow down, just go with it.
filly

Post by filly »

My sympathies that you live where you have to eat Domino's pizza.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:21 am

When Life says slow down, just go with it.
Yeah, that.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Sadly, even though I have some good pizza places around here which I order from, I also find myself ordering from Dominos from time to time. :oopsy:

This probably goes along with my tendency to sometimes have Chef Boyardee ravioli (though I do add some extra spices and sometimes some mushrooms, but they are non-fresh as well). I guess somedays, there is always room for mass-produced comfort foot.
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I miss pizza. I’m allergic to cheese. & Pizza has a good vegan cheese, but there’s not one anywhere near here. I can make my own pizza, but the grocery stores around here don’t carry vegan cheese (I do stock up whenever I travel to Northern VA).

I can also make my own vegan cheese, but it’s a lot of work.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We did our trip to Australia and New Zealand through a tour company called Vantage. It was a small group of about 20 people, and we got to be friendly with most of them, but bonded most with a couple from New Mexico. We kept in touch loosely for a while by email. Hubby and I planned another trip on a ship up and back the coast of Norway with Vantage for the following March, but my Mom got sick, and I just got too busy to get back to Judy about the trip. Mom was fine by our trip, but I hadn't reconnected with Judy. We got to Bergen, Norway, early in the morning, went out and looked around the city, and came back. There, checking in, were Jim and Judy.

Judy and I and Jim and hubby could have been family. Judy grew up in PA, about 3/4 of the way across the state, but still PA. On that trip in Norway, we learned much more about each other. Judy and I shopped the same places, liked the same foods, were both very liberal, read the same kind of books. It went on and on. Jim had spent 30 years in the Army, becoming a Colonel before he retired, and they moved to New Mexico. He was an engineer and started his own business in New Mexico as a consultant dealing with water rights in the state. My husband is an engineer, and had started his own consulting business here, although it dealt with mechanical issues. They could talk engineering for hours, and Jim was the best story teller I've ever known, endlessly entertaining.

By the end of the two-week + trip, we had become fast friends and felt as if we had been friends our entire lives. We began traveling together at that point, and, although we didn't travel nearly as much as they did each year, we traveled almost every year together, and visited them in New Mexico several times. We always had an absolute blast, and always learned about even more things we had in common. Sometimes, it got downright spooky.

When Jim died almost two years ago, we cancelled our trip with them to China, and went instead to New Mexico for Jim's funeral. It was as if we had lost a life-long friend, although it was less than ten years since we met them. We are still close to Judy, and are traveling together again for the first time next month. I'm thrilled to be seeing Judy again, but I think Jim's absence will be difficult.

We have lots of friends we have made over the years, mostly here, but there's a bond with Jim and Judy that no other has matched. I wish we had met earlier, but I'm very thankful for the time we had together and for the time we will have with Judy in the future.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

filly wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 am My sympathies that you live where you have to eat Domino's pizza.
Better than anything that comes from Pizza Hut....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:59 am Sadly, even though I have some good pizza places around here which I order from, I also find myself ordering from Dominos from time to time. :oopsy:

This probably goes along with my tendency to sometimes have Chef Boyardee ravioli (though I do add some extra spices and sometimes some mushrooms, but they are non-fresh as well). I guess somedays, there is always room for mass-produced comfort foot.
omg! Hit the frozen food section! Even Lean Cuisine makes decent ravioli! One filled with butternut squash is divine! Cook two if one is not enough food for you,
filly

Post by filly »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:26 pm
filly wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 am My sympathies that you live where you have to eat Domino's pizza.
Better than anything that comes from Pizza Hut....
Ya know I became a pizza snob when I lived in Chicago. My husband loves pizza but when the options were those two we just didn’t eat it. Now in Houston we found a place close by owned by an Indian family. The wife makes the sauce from scratch daily and you can actually taste the fresh basil. My husband picks it up. Here near the arctic we have a Jet’s franchise and Detroit style pizza is very good. If the guy in Houston goes out of business we just won’t eat pizza. I used to make my own but it is a lot of work, even with real cheese!
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:59 am Sadly, even though I have some good pizza places around here which I order from, I also find myself ordering from Dominos from time to time. :oopsy:

I get cravings for the Chef Boyardee pizza kits that we used to have when I was a kid. They don’t sell them in Canada any longer. :cry: :(
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:22 am I miss pizza. I’m allergic to cheese. & Pizza has a good vegan cheese, but there’s not one anywhere near here. I can make my own pizza, but the grocery stores around here don’t carry vegan cheese (I do stock up whenever I travel to Northern VA).

I can also make my own vegan cheese, but it’s a lot of work.
I checked the website and it says Wegmans carries a variety of vegan cheese (ETA) if you have one of them nearby. I've never used it but Wegmans has the best selection for lots of stuff, I love their garlic tuscan bread and they make really good sushi that they will happily make to order :thumbsup: MrD loves his sushi.

https://shop.wegmans.com/search?search_ ... &sort=rank
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Nearest Wegmans to me is over an hour away. I go to Mom’s Organic Market in Herndon or Whole Foods in Reston and stock up.
Off Topic
At first I thought this was off-topic until I remembered that getting food allergies as a result of a tick bite is both strange and random.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

filly wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:40 pm I used to make my own but it is a lot of work, even with real cheese!
I still do once and a while, and damn right, it is a lot of work [minimum half day for me] :lol:

Trent Reznor
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I happen to like their pizza. But, I agree - I have had great pizza, and Dom's ain't it. OTOH on Friday, when I'm tired, and don't feel like cooking, it can taste fabulous.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”