Depression, Anxiety, and other challenges

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Depression, Anxiety, and other challenges

Post by jez »

PG brought up the thought of a topic on depression a few days ago. I've been looking for it since, but haven't seen it set up yet, so here it is.

To start: I picked the title I did because it's about more than depression, especially these days. Anxiety is a big part of the mix. There is being overwhelmed, panic attacks, all the fun stuff. There are anger issues since every thing seems so unfair when people lose their jobs or loved ones through no fault of their own.

So, here we go.

As anyone that has been on this board for a long time knows, I have major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and probably a few other things my shrink wasn't able to diagnose before I left Texas (still haven't found someone here... I should check to see if Dr. Meyer is doing video sessions). I have problems with appropriately expressing emotion at times, for the most part during social situations but also anything that involves strong emotions. I usually say the wrong thing or too much or not enough. But I'm learning to live with it.

Since I no longer have a shrink, I no longer have the good meds that he would prescribe to me. I have no Xanax to help with the panic attacks generated from the anxiety. I also am on older antidepressants, but they do help stabilize my mood, so that helps. I'm still depressed. Still have days when I don't want to get out of bed, but have to force myself to. I get agitated because I am feeling useless and hopeless and all other kinds of less. But I make it through.

If anyone ever needs someone to unload to, I'm a PM away. You are not alone in how you feel, even if it seems that you are. You are not crazy. You are not insane. You are not a failure for not being able to control your emotions or thoughts. I will listen if you need to talk. I have no advice because what works for me may not work for you.

As a conclusion, here are some resources:

(US) National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 800-273-8255
International numbers: https://www.opencounseling.com/suicide-hotlines

Cry if you need to. Yell if you feel like it. Get it out of your system, then take a breath, have some tea, and carry on.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Depression, Anxiety, and other challenges

Post by raison de arizona »

:bighug:
I suffer from Other Challenges, although both depression and anxiety are parts of it. Speaking of too much or too little, I'll leave it at that.

But :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Thanks, Jez. I didnt even know where to start. I had watched a short piece on EMDR Therapy where Prince Harry spoke about how it helped him with the trauma and grief of losing his mother. Grief is a challenge that often wraps itself around and hides anger, depression, anxiety, etc. EMDR sounds as if it might be helpful, at some point. Time did not heal Prince Harry, and though time has eased it for me, it has manifested itself into other harmful issues.

I remember the shock of realizing that I hadn't felt sad or thought of Mister for a couple of days. Then being slammed with guilt for that. It's a cruel roller coaster.

Anyway, I thought I would share this info for general digestion. Also, too, and otherwise, the place I found the most helpful for grief was whatsyourgrief.com.

EMDR article Excerpt:

"In 1987 psychologist Francine Shapiro developed a new type of psychotherapy known as EMDR, which stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. EMDR therapy has become a more common treatment in recent years as a treatment option for people suffering from anxiety, panic, PTSD, or trauma.

According to the EMDR Research Foundation, “EMDR is an integrative psychotherapy approach that has been extensively researched and proven effective for the treatment of trauma. EMDR therapy includes a set of standardized protocols that incorporate elements from many different treatment approaches. To date, EMDR has helped millions of people of all ages relieve many types of psychological stress.”

What is EMDR?
EMDR therapy is a phased, focused approach to treating traumatic and other symptoms by reconnecting the client in a safe and measured way to the images, self-thoughts, emotions, and body sensations associated with the trauma, and allowing the natural healing powers of the brain to move toward adaptive resolution. It is based on the idea that symptoms occur when trauma and other negative or challenging experiences overwhelm the brain’s natural ability to heal, and that the healing process can be facilitated and completed through bilateral stimulation while the client is re-experiencing the trauma in the context of the safe environment of the therapist’s office (dual awareness)."

https://www.psycom.net/emdr-therapy-anx ... sd-trauma/
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I love to Necro old threads, but it's been a challenging few months.

I guess I've overshared a few times about my fight with Hidradenitis Suppurativa a few times. The last few months, it has decided to set up camp in my left buttock and it's been a constant round of abscesses, drainage, another abscess (same spot) more drainage, ER visits, surgeries, and so on. To say I'm getting tired of it is the understatement of this century. Last Tuesday, I had an "exploratory" surgery that removed a good amount of the troublesome tissue, some tunnels/fistulas, and a couple of cysts. I'm on the mend, in a lot of pain with large incisions and two drains. But I'm hopeful that this will help alleviate the worst of the symptoms.

I've also finally found a psychiatrist, of sorts. Olivia is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. My intake session with her was a couple of weeks ago and I like her. We talked for over an hour and seemed to click. I'm glad I won't have to run around searching for someone any longer. One thing that kind of impressed her was my ability to seamlessly and effortlessly move from subject to subject about 10 times in 15 minutes. And then circling back around to the original subject. After talking for awhile, she came to the conclusion that I more than likely have ADHD, which helps feed my anxiety, my depressions, and my imposter syndrome. So, I'm now taking Adderal and we'll see how it's working. So far it has helped me focus a bit better, though we are starting me on a fairly low dose (only 10 mg). We are going to see if alleviating the ADHD will help with the anxiety and depression and if it doesn't we are possibly looking at adding Effexor to the arsenal.

The ADHD diagnosis does make sense in hindsight. I have always had trouble concentrating. I get distracted easily and do not have a traditionally linear thought pattern. I've found myself the last couple of weeks being able to stay on that linear path a bit better.

So, hope might be on the horizon. Maybe? :confuzzled:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

jez wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:33 pm

So, hope might be on the horizon. Maybe? :confuzzled:
It sounds as if you've found someone who actually listens to you. That is always hopeful. I do hope you can get the physical problems sorted out, as that sounds horribly painful.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Jez and Patagoniagirl-

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

You are my sheroes.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”