Barbeque, Smokers, Grills and Related Good Things

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Barbeque, Smokers, Grills and Related Good Things

Post by Reality Check »

I got a Kamado Joe Classic II for birthday and have just scratched the surface on what it can do. The steaks and burgers top anything I have ever done or had in a restaurant. I also have a Smokin' It electric smoker that I use for ribs, chicken, pork shoulder, etc.. I am anxious to compare the two on something like ribs or brisket. I like watching all the YouTube videos on smokers and grilling. There are some great channels out there. Please post your recipes, tips, techniques and ideas here.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Barbeque, Smokers, Grills and Related Good Things

Post by neonzx »

I've been blown away by what I can do with my new grill vs the old-school propane. Enjoy.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:18 pm I've been blown away by what I can do with my new grill vs the old-school propane. Enjoy.
Ceramic grill?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I have a Weber Genesis Silver grill which I won as a door prize in 2000. My husband loved using it. I haven't touched it since my sweetie passed away 3 year ago, but I did have my nephew check it out a few weeks ago and it works just fine, so I think I'm going to experiment with using it this summer. I look forward to any recipes, tips, etc. which you experienced folks have to share.
tek

Post by tek »

I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker back in Mass, but did not ship it down to FL.
I have a pellet grill here in FL.

Moisture is the name of the game when smoking meats, IMHO. The Masterbuilt had very low airflow, so with a small pan of liquid I could keep a moist environment.. the pellet grill has much more airflow, so I have to smoke for a while for flavor and then wrap with some liquid to get things done and tender.

A turkey breast doesn't require this, though.. rub with your fave rub, stuff a quartered lemon in the cavity for moisture, and then smoke til done. Two weeks ago I had a neighbor ask "can you smoke a turkey breast for us?" (and I did)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Reality Check wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:25 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:18 pm I've been blown away by what I can do with my new grill vs the old-school propane. Enjoy.
Ceramic grill?
Nope, It's not that fancy... still more work to clean-up compared to just shutting off the valve on the propane. But worth it.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:40 pm :snippity: Nope, It's not that fancy... still more work to clean-up compared to just shutting off the valve on the propane. But worth it.
I think any charcoal grill beats propane grill for high heat cooking. I kept my old Char-Broil propane grill for doing things quickly like hot dogs and shrimp kebobs.

The Kamado Joe is not too bad to clean up. When you shut off both the upper and lower air controls the fire goes out quickly, I always have unburned charcoal left over to start the next cook.A quick brushing with a wire brush will clean the grates.The amount of ash is surprisingly small.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

My husband thinks his Big Green Egg is the best thing ever. He makes pizza with it. And brisket!

I'm just glad he likes to cook, because cooking just isn't my bag.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Here in North Cackilacki, grilling is a science and a religion. On a forum like this one that is long dead and gone, a bunch of us contributed recipes, and I compiled them into a pdf. Later today I will post it, gotta search around to find it.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Found it:

The headings are the names of people on that erstwhile forum who submitted the various recipes. Some of them are really funny, but all are worth reading. The second one by "justfacts" makes the most delicious chicken I have ever had. I just about ALWAYS have some chunks of chicken marinating in Italian dressing in one of my fridges (we have one in the kitchen, one in the garage).

Enjoy.

grilling_recipes.pdf

Whoa, look at the document properties, I made that back in 2006! That's like, 10 years ago or sumpin'!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”