Offensive Language

Patagoniagirl

Re: Offensive Language

Post by Patagoniagirl »

sterngard friegen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 pm I'm not so easily assuaged by anything less than a full apology and a commitment to stop using slurs. The excuses and purported explanations have been pathetic. There is no apology and there is no commitment to stop. Those of you who have given this poster a pass either condone or encourage him doing it again. Or someone else doing it.

I don't appreciate this site becoming a cesspool of racial, religious or sexual slurs.

STOP IT!
Well, I think you are just wrong. To out-of hand dismiss an attempt to discuss the meaning and reasoning, and attempt to have a discussion about this subject just ignores the importance of having a discussion! This is how we learn and grow.

I dont like some of the words, and some of the posts here from time-to-time, because I find them offensive. But to say this site/forum is becoming a cesspool of racial, religious or sexual slurs is just isn't true. You just dont like Gregg, and you seem to not want to engage in an honest discussion about why, unlike some of us women who have done so- and to which he has responded.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

sterngard friegen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 pm I'm not so easily assuaged by anything less than a full apology and a commitment to stop using slurs. The excuses and purported explanations have been pathetic. There is no apology and there is no commitment to stop. Those of you who have given this poster a pass either condone or encourage him doing it again. Or someone else doing it.

I don't appreciate this site becoming a cesspool of racial, religious or sexual slurs.

STOP IT!
I've said I was sorry at least 6 times.

Fine, you win, I'm sorry.

I won't darken your doorstep again.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Come on, it's over..or I'm going to have to start playing music

We all good? Or do we need music?
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

“Stop it” in all caps with an exclamation mark from some one who professes to never use them. It’s frustrating when everyone else won’t grab torches and pitchforks when you demand it.
Got it.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:56 pm Come on, it's over..or I'm going to have to start playing music

We all good? Or do we need music?
Stop.

roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

SlimSloSlider wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 pm As someone raised bilingual in Ireland, my swear words are not your swear words.
Québecers use religion-related words - calice, tabernac, sacrement, hostis - chalice, tabernacle, sacrament, host.
Completely inoffensive in English, they may be strung into a rosary of inflammatory invective that peels paint from walls, sours milk and puts the child in the cradle crying. Mon ostis de calisse de tabernac de saint sacrement!
Urdu may be the best language for swearing - but mostly sexual and involving camels.
Language is a delicate dance and as a neophyte in the US and having lived among Cockneys, I appreciate the abhorrence of a word equating someone to female genitalia casually tossed.
Best learn to swear in some language nobody will understand.

Thalla is cagainn bruis!
ní i ndáiríre, tuigim é
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Eaststander

Post by Eaststander »

LM K wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:16 pm When I see or hear the c-word, I ask myself if the person using the word is from Great Britain. The word simply isn't offensive across the pond, thus the role of intention becomes important.
LM K, that just isn’t true. I know nobody over here who would use the word, and a word to the wise: don’t use it here! Admittedly, I tend to move in more genteel circles than some of our residents.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Gregg wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 pm

STOP IT!
I've said I was sorry at least 6 times.

Fine, you win, I'm sorry.

I won't darken your doorstep again.
I was one who was shocked to see the c* word used here, but I, for one, sincerely accept you apology. I do appreciate your posts. Please continue to share your insights and opinions. :bighug:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Um, you all need to do the dance thing... trust me on that one. :wink:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Somehow I got locked out of the forum for a day. Did I miss anything? :bag:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:07 am Somehow I got locked out of the forum for a day. Did I miss anything? :bag:
:lol:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:07 am Somehow I got locked out of the forum for a day. Did I miss anything? :bag:
Steve stopped by and said he ran a coyote off his property.. other than that, it's been pretty quiet. :towel:
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Eaststander wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:58 pm
LM K wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:16 pm When I see or hear the c-word, I ask myself if the person using the word is from Great Britain. The word simply isn't offensive across the pond, thus the role of intention becomes important.
LM K, that just isn’t true. I know nobody over here who would use the word, and a word to the wise: don’t use it here! Admittedly, I tend to move in more genteel circles than some of our residents.
Thank you, Eaststander! My Brit friends use the term but I have no doubt there are many Brits who would never use the term.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Use the British multi use, multi functions word "bollocks" a word for almost all seasons and remarkably flexible from term of admiration, (almost) endearment to blistering profanity based on context...... A wonderful word rooted in the original slang for the dingly dangly portions of the male primary sexual characteristic

"What a load of bollocks"......."I'm terribly sorry but I disagree with some or all of your thesis/statement but I won't kill you over it"

"That's a load of old bollocks"..."I feel much more agitated with your views, statements or opinion and fisticuffs are likely to be very much on offer"

"BOLLOCKS"....."Ouch"

"Shit, Fuck, Toss, Wank, Bollocks"..."I believe my owie may require urgent hospital attention, pardon my words, could you dial 911 as I am incapable"

(sotto voce) "bollocks"...."Oh dear, One has indeed been a silly billy......" (May be used in situations as varied as forgot keys up through "I thought cutting the RED wire DISARMED the thermonuclear weapon")

"That, is the dogs bollocks"..."That is truly excellent, congratulations"

"You're full of bollocks" (not infrequently in a raspy mean Glaswegian accent"... "You sir are nothing but an oxygen thief, waste of skin and I believe removing both from you is the appropriate and apposite reaction"

In the next instalment of "Words don't necessarily mean what you thing they do" we will look into competitive swearing and the construction of the shortest sentence that can insult the widest range of individuals and how the efficacy of a single vowel change can lead to insulting or not insulting dependant on nationality, race or geo-location see passim "F*CK" and "TW*T"
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

My maternal grandmother, born in 1898, was from a small village in the county of Devon. She was a churchgoer, secretary of the local British Legion, and a quite formidable character if the situation required it. I spent many holidays staying with her and got used to her using the term “bugger(s)”, usually prefixed by “daft” or”silly” or some such, quite often referring to myself. She obviously did not see it as a “bad” word. I well remember the first time I used it at school and my incomprehension at the reaction :faint:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm probably the least educated here so, speaking for the unwashed masses, may I say that, like it or not, word meanings change, or expand. Take literally v figuratively. We all know literally shouldn't be used in place of figuratively, but a lot of Americans do, and we usually let it slide. Because to correct the offender usually results in eye rolls as opposed to, "Thank you, I'll never make that mistake again."

As for the most offensive of swear words, don't they all originate from sexy time? Yet, when I use them, I'm never referring to sexy time. If I call a guy a dick, it's because he an asshole. Oh wait. It's because he's a dumbass. Damn!....... Prick?

As for substituting vagina for the c-word, I actually found that more offensive because when I associate (in my head, not out loud) so and so is a c-word, I'm not thinking of sex. But vagina does make me think of gynecological issues, so, in my own little bubble, that made me a little uncomfortable. I still vote for auto-censure to change that to asshole, or something gender-neutral. I have no problem calling women (and men) assholes when deserved. And, to be fair, that's a slur on assholes, which are actually very important and if they shut down, boy howdy!

As for bitch, I don't consider that a swear word. I reclaimed it years ago, as in "he didn't know which bitch he was dealing with." When arguing with a misogynistic (prick?) at the Ozarks who thought he could bully me into surrendering part of my lake-front property, he called me a bitch. I laughed and said thanks. Confused, he asked me why I thanked him. I responded, "Because that means I won." (he put his house up for sale a couple of weeks later).

So words, correctly or not, mean what they mean to each individual. The best I can offer is to note which words offend people and behave myself.

Funny side note. One word that gags me is (ahem) crud. My favorite cartoon, Fairly Odd Parents, uses it all the time, and that's on Nick. I'll say crap 20 times a day but crud turns my stomach. weird, huh?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:34 am Take literally v figuratively. We all know literally shouldn't be used in place of figuratively, but a lot of Americans do, and we usually let it slide.
That’s how a living language lives, I suppose. Virtual used to mean real and now it means fake.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:34 am So words, correctly or not, mean what they mean to each individual. The best I can offer is to note which words offend people and behave myself.
Was this thread started in response to an exchange between Sterny and Gregg?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ummmmmmm........yeeeeeaaaaaaaah?

More specifically, so people could make their thoughts heard, and others could act/react accordingly.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:54 am Ummmmmmm........yeeeeeaaaaaaaah?
Ummmmmm......weeellllllllll - no biggie. Just wondering, and going to the OP for confirmation. I wasn't aware of the "disagreement" until page two. Granted, I don't read every thread. I may have even read the specific exchange but glossed over it because my mental filters block that stuff. But, I will add it to my list of whom not to seat together at the banquet.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

So, to put a bow on this, is there anyone who still thinks they are Samuel L. Goddamnmotherfuckin Jackson and can anything they want?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:50 am So, to put a bow on this, is there anyone who still thinks they are Samuel L. Goddamnmotherfuckin Jackson and can anything they want?

:whistle:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Gregg wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 pm I won't darken your doorstep again.
Don't let the self-appointed, self-righteous political commisars chase you away. Nobody is in trouble on this website unless I say they're in trouble.

Let's end with a funny.

I can't possibly censor enough werdz to prevent offensive comments. Y'all just have to use good judgment.

Example: My friend 7rob7, on another forum entirely, became exasperated by a truly insane lady we all found exasperating, and one day she told him he couldn't understand her point because it was "too complex".

He said that "[She] wouldn't recognize 'complex' if somebody drove through a complex mud puddle and it flew into her beard."

OMG, I almost hurt myself laughing. :rotflmao:

Now ... which words in his comment could I reasonably censor? :shrug: You don't need profanity or racial slurs to write offensive language. I could write offensive language all day long without either.

But let's not.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:50 am So, to put a bow on this, is there anyone who still thinks they are Samuel L. Goddamnmotherfuckin Jackson and can anything they want?
My favorite Samuel L quote is from a movie nobody saw (panned by critics but one of Hub's favs)*. It's relevant:

(Samuel L to Gina Davis after her recovery from mild-mannered amnesiac to assassin): When I first met you, you were all "Oh phooey, I burnt the darn muffins;" now, you go into a bar and ten minutes later sailors come running out.

*Yeah, it's a rip-off of the Bourne Identity but, hey, it's Samuel L.

ImageImageImage x4
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Foggy said:
"You don't need profanity or racial slurs to write offensive language. I could write offensive language all day long without either. But let's not."

Still that sounds like a great concept for a competitive event thread. A kind of 'Can you top this . . .' thread.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”