Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

You first! Scary Bridges!!!!!!!!

qbawl

Re: You first! Scary Bridges!!!!!!!!

Post by qbawl »

Gregg wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:02 am Seven Mile Bridge in the Keys, we drove over this bridge during Hurricane Agnes when I was a kid. I've been afraid of it since. The old one, the built a new one next to it in 1982.

and Jeremiah Morrow Bridge, just 10 miles from my Cincinnati home. Incidentally, a very old friend of mine who anyone who is a pilot in Cincinnati knows, just lost her Pilot's Certificate when Highway Patrol traffic cams caught her flying under it. The 'also ran' Cincinnati Airport, once the busiest airport in the world, is named after her father. https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/news/t ... -a-bridge/

I know that bridge well. I've travelled under it via bike or canoe almost as often as I have over it maybe more. Would have loved to have seen her do that though it probably would have freaked me out especially if I was in the middle of the river.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Azastan wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:44 pm For less scary bridges, how about a trip on any of the four floating bridges located in Washington State?

:snippity:

The Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge. This is the successor to the oldest floating bridge longer than one mile. It's the second longest floating bridge in the world, second only to the Governor Albert D. Rosellini Bridge—Evergreen Point bridge. This bridge sank in 1990 during reconstruction efforts. It re-opened in 1993.

It's parallel to the Homer M Handley Memorial Bridge. The view is looking east from Seattle towards Mercer Island. The Lacey V. Murrow Bridge (aka the 'I-90' bridge) is on the left, the Homer M Hadley Memorial Bridge is on the right. The Murrow bridge carries eastbound traffic, the Hadley bridge carries westbound traffic.

I90 bridge and Homer M Hadley Memorial Bridge.jpg
The Hadley is my sentimental favorite. I lived on Mercer Island as a kid, and that bridge symbolizes going on adventures and coming home. Also going to and from school, because I went to a private school off island for 4th-6th grade.

Added bonus for a kid, when going to Seattle, you got to go from the bridge right through a tunnel.
Image Image Image Image
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 am All of these bridges are gorgeous! My husband white-knuckles anything taller than a step stool, but my biggest complaint about bridges is the walls are always too high to see over. Tunnels, on the other hand.....my shoulders tense up just thinking about that. The Mobile Bay tunnel is about the most I can muster without wigging out.
The Hurricane Deck bridge I posted above was designed with low guardrails for that very reason, which is why it freaked me out. I have a terrible fear of heights.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

From my old Patagonia hometown I present a different kind of bridge.

jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:18 am
Start at about 4 minutes to see what it's all about: 20 miles of switchbacks down a canyon on a dirt road with no guardrails.
I'll take your word for it......sez the skeerty cat.
How about the Niagara Whirlpool cable car, TRL? We can do it after the Bruce Trail hike. :P ;)

https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/pla ... -aero-car/
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:18 pm
Start at about 4 minutes to see what it's all about: 20 miles of switchbacks down a canyon on a dirt road with no guardrails.
How about the Niagara Whirlpool cable car, TRL? We can do it after the Bruce Trail hike. :P ;)

I missed that, hang it all. I did go on the Maid of the Mist a few years ago. My family was afraid to.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:26 pm

I missed that, hang it all. I did go on the Maid of the Mist a few years ago. My family was afraid to.
I have never been on the Maid of the Mist or the Hornblower (Canadian side) and I grew up here! Sometimes I forget that I live so close to such a tourist attraction. I think my parents took us to mainly free attractions. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

And then you have a bridge made out of duct tape (yes, Mythbusters). Jamie is not fond of heights so his crossing was a bit rough.

101010 :towel:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I'm not fond of driving over bridges
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

runways (21L and 21R)
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Gregg wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:19 pm On that bottom one, where is the part of the bridge that moved for the sub? is like a retractable telescoping magnet?

The Hood Canal bridge has a section which is raised for marine traffic, and the other part of the bridge retracts under the raised section. You can see the raised section and retracted section on the left side of the bridge in the photo.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

These are more of the type of bridge in the Pittsburgh area. The black one is the railroad bridge. I don't find these scary at all. I've ridden and walked over these.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/all-about-pit ... es-2708399
With more than 400 bridges, it’s no wonder Pittsburgh is called the City of Bridges. Surrounded by rivers, Pittsburgh needs a lot of bridges and over the years, they’ve also become an iconic part of the city’s skyline. In fact, Pittsburgh has even more bridges than the city of Venice and there are three in particular that are especially loved by locals.

History of the Three Sisters Bridges

Together, they’re called the Three Sisters Bridges, and they span the Allegheny River between downtown and the North Side. The trio of bridges is named after three famous Pittsburghers—an athlete, an artist, and an environmentalist.

First, the Sixth Street Bridge, called the Roberto Clemente Bridge, is nearest to the Point and PNC Park. Next is the Seventh Street Bridge, called the Andy Warhol bridge, which runs near the Andy Warhol Museum. The Ninth Street Bridge, called the Rachel Carson Bridge, runs the nearest to her Springdale hometown.

The bridges are the only trio of nearly identical bridges in the United States and were built between 1924 and 1928. According to records from the Library of Congress. They are also the first self-anchored suspension spans in the nation. “The bridges' design was a creative response to the political, commercial, and aesthetic concerns of Pittsburgh in the 1920s.” In 1928, that design won the attention of the American Institute of Steel Construction who named the Clemente Bridge “The Most Beautiful Steel Bridge of 1928.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

This came up as a recommendation in YouTube. It’s a hard no for me!

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:59 pm This came up as a recommendation in YouTube. It’s a hard no for me!

Yeah, hard pass.

I have a younger cousin who is very afraid of heights (phobia)... I managed to get him up on a flat-roof three story building a couple years ago (up a 60 ft ladder);They (the others) wanted him up on a slopped roof... I refused. If he has a panic attack on a slopped roof? No. So flat roof it was --- Neon called it

But this. -- will never happen. Well, I can do it...but not make my cousin do this.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:59 pm This came up as a recommendation in YouTube. It’s a hard no for me!
► Show Spoiler
Since 2000, as of March 15, 2021, 13 people have died from falling while hiking the trail.[8]
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

How wild... this is like the most fastest/popular thread evar!

Impressive.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 am
Since 2000, as of March 15, 2021, 13 people have died from falling while hiking the trail.[8]
You are safer with me and my 60ft ladder. (actually, I think it's 55ft) I don't let people fall.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You first!!!! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Central Arkansas has six bridges across the Arkansas River. I have walked across 4 of them. The picture is of the Big Dam Bridge which is part of the central Arkansas hiking trails.

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/medi ... dges-8750/
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arka ... idge-trail
extra_large_3e206e2ed250a64b49d06e809cbe3bc8.jpg
extra_large_3e206e2ed250a64b49d06e809cbe3bc8.jpg (374.62 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Angels Landing was a big hell no ten years ago. It will be another big hell no next month. :roll:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Crib Goch

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:03 pm Crib Goch

Scariest part of that is the afterburn. 8-)
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I could probably actually handle this last one. It's a sharp drop on the right hand side, but the left mostly slopes. I think psychologically I could handle that. Or at least most of it. :mrgreen:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

NOPE! :cantlook:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”