Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Stupid Thread

FiveAcres

Re: The Stupid Thread

Post by FiveAcres »

We are having to find a new dentist. Guess why? The one we have used for years is a COVID denialist. And the cherry on the top of the ice cream sundae was the copy of the Epoch Times displayed proudly on the coffee table in the reception area. My partner didn't even know what the Epoch Times was, because he doesn't follow the extreme RW fringe the way I do, but he had heard of the Galun Fong, so there is that.

What is it about dentists?
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

It is the cocktail of exposure to nitros, fluoride and halitosis...
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

FiveAcres wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 pm
My oldest brother (may he rest in peace) was a dentist. He fervently believed that Hillary Clinton murdered Vincent Foster. Had he not died in a motorcycle accident in 1998, I can state with confidence that he would have been screaming, “Benghaaaaaazzzziii!” and “Lock her up!” along with the rest of the RWNJs.

He was my brother and I loved him with all my heart. And from what I gather, he was a pretty good pediatric dentist. He specialized in fusing cleft palates on infants, and a lot of parents told me at his funeral that he saved their kid’s life because before the procedure they couldn’t eat. I had no idea. Whenever I asked him what he’d been up to, he’d just say, “you know, same old, drilling and filling.” He also donated a ton of his time doing exams and procedures on the kids in juvenile hall.

It is really difficult for me to reconcile the kind and well-educated man I knew him to be with the crack-pot I also knew him to be. But there it is.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:01 pm
FiveAcres wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 pm
My oldest brother (may he rest in peace) was a dentist. He fervently believed that Hillary Clinton murdered Vincent Foster. Had he not died in a motorcycle accident in 1998, I can state with confidence that he would have been screaming, “Benghaaaaaazzzziii!” and “Lock her up!” along with the rest of the RWNJs.

He was my brother and I loved him with all my heart. And from what I gather, he was a pretty good pediatric dentist. He specialized in fusing cleft palates on infants, and a lot of parents told me at his funeral that he saved their kid’s life because before the procedure they couldn’t eat. I had no idea. Whenever I asked him what he’d been up to, he’d just say, “you know, same old, drilling and filling.” He also donated a ton of his time doing exams and procedures on the kids in juvenile hall.

It is really difficult for me to reconcile the kind and well-educated man I knew him to be with the crack-pot I also knew him to be. But there it is.
Good people aren't immune for believing crazy things.

At one point after I got out of the Corps, and was living in Montana, I had a few militia types approach me to join. They came with an offer of a job, teach people how to shoot and basic field tactics, ect. As a dumb@$$ 20 year old kid, their anti-gov propaganda sounded "right" to me at first. It took the weekend after they approached me for me to remember my oath, and next time told them I wasn't interested.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:01 pm It is really difficult for me to reconcile the kind and well-educated man I knew him to be with the crack-pot I also knew him to be. But there it is.
Welcome to the ying and yang of Life. These are the dynamics that keep us alive and vital.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Am I a bad person for giggling over this post?

► Show Spoiler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Note that was posted on Twitter from an iPhone.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Let's track Mike's obituary :twisted:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

At least he lived to tell the tale.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

a state governor lacking basic computer education
Missouri Threatens to Sue a Reporter Who Flagged a Security Flaw
The governor warned that he would take legal action against a journalist who identified a vulnerability that exposed teachers' Social Security numbers.

MISSOURI GOVERNOR MIKE Parson Thursday threatened to prosecute and seek civil damages from a St. Louis Post-Dispatch journalist who identified a security flaw that exposed the Social Security numbers of teachers and other school employees, claiming that the journalist is a "hacker" and that the newspaper's reporting was nothing more than a "political vendetta" and "an attempt to embarrass the state and sell headlines for their news outlet." The Republican governor also vowed to hold the Post-Dispatch "accountable" for the supposed crime of helping the state find and fix a security vulnerability that could have harmed teachers.

Despite Parson's surprising description of a security report that normally wouldn't be particularly controversial, it appears that the Post-Dispatch handled the problem in a way that prevented harm to school employees while encouraging the state to close what one security professor called a "mind-boggling" vulnerability. Josh Renaud, a Post-Dispatch web developer who also writes articles, wrote in a report published Wednesday that more than 100,000 Social Security numbers were vulnerable "in a web application that allowed the public to search teacher certifications and credentials." The Social Security numbers of school administrators and counselors were also vulnerable.

"Though no private information was clearly visible nor searchable on any of the web pages, the newspaper found that teachers' Social Security numbers were contained in the HTML source code of the pages involved," the report said.

The Post-Dispatch seems to have done exactly what ethical security researchers generally do in these situations: give the organization with the vulnerability time to close the hole before making it public.

"The newspaper delayed publishing this report to give the department time to take steps to protect teachers' private information and to allow the state to ensure no other agencies' web applications contained similar vulnerabilities," the article said. The news report was published one day after the "department removed the affected pages from its website."

https://www.wired.com/story/missouri-th ... rity-flaw/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Egyptian man arrested after broadcasting face during robbery
Published 4 hours ago

Egyptian social media users have hailed a man who inadvertently broadcast his face to thousands of people while stealing a journalist's phone as "the coolest thief in Egypt".

Mahmoud Ragheb, a reporter for the news site Youm7, was livestreaming a report on social media when the thief drove by on a motorbike and seized his phone.

The broadcast then revealed the young thief's face as he sped away from the scene casually smoking a cigarette.

Police have since announced his arrest.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-58980533
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I love this picture.
► Show Spoiler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:45 pm Image

I love this picture.
► Show Spoiler
Natives React covered it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

followup, revealing how stupid the state government is
RTH10260 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:06 pm a state governor lacking basic computer education
The governor warned that he would take legal action against a journalist who identified a vulnerability that exposed teachers' Social Security numbers.

comment by Steve Letho

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Most officials resent being revealed as incompetent, and their protracted retaliation generally proves it.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Utah town filed criminal charges against residents who didn't get licenses for dead dogs

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-town-f ... -dead-dogs
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:cantlook: :doh: second followup, revealing how stupid the governor of the state of Missouri is
RTH10260 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:06 pm a state governor lacking basic computer education

new current status

Governor Mike Parson wants a journalist prosecuted for looking at website source code

By Alex Cranz
Dec 31, 2021, 10:31am EST

Mike Parson, Governor of Missouri, does not understand how websites work. He held a press conference earlier this week in St. Louis to once more reiterate his desire to prosecute a St. Louis Post-Dispatch journalist for looking at the source code of a state-run website.

In October 2021 reporter Josh Renaud reported that the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website source code had exposed the social security numbers of over 100,000 school teachers, administrators, and counselors. He published the story only after he’d reported the problem to the state and the vulnerability had been resolved.

:snippity:

In fact...gimme a second....boom, I just hacked Facebook.

While a gross misunderstanding of how websites work by both a state agency and the governor of said state might be funny, Governor Parson's behavior since the paper first published its story is anything but. According to public records obtained by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Vandeven had initially planned to thank the paper for finding the vulnerability. Her tone only became accusatory after meeting with the governor’s office.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol, whose superintendent is appointed by the governor, initiated a probe into the newspaper’s story. They turned the case over to Cole County Prosecuting Attorney Locke Thompson on Monday, December 27. Governor Parson then held a press conference on Wednesday, December 29, where he cited a state statute related to computer tampering and repeatedly suggested Thompson should use it to prosecute Renaud and the paper.

In the press conference, he compared Renaud’s actions to a person using a lock pick to enter a person’s home without permission. Which is in no way an appropriate analogy. Websites are public-facing. They’re akin to public buildings, not homes. A more apt analogy would be if a person is in a state-owned building and walks by a locked room, and sees someone posted a bunch of sensitive information in the window for anyone to see, regardless of whether or not they have keys.

Personally, I would want someone to knock on the door and point out the problem without fear of prosecution by an embarrassed man with no grasp of how websites work.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/31/228 ... ource-code
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Litter Boxes for Students Who Identify as Furries? Not So, Says School Official
A Michigan school superintendent debunked the rumor after a video from a December school board meeting resurfaced in which a speaker airs concerns about students who “identify as cats.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/23/us/p ... tw-nytimes
It started with a comment at a school board meeting, which was later amplified by a Michigan state Republican leader, and culminated with a school superintendent explaining that, no, there were no litter boxes on school grounds for students to use if they identified as furries.

“It is unconscionable that this afternoon I am sending this communication,” the superintendent of Midland Public Schools, Michael Sharrow, wrote on Thursday in an email to parents that was also shared on Facebook. “However, our Midland PS stakeholders may be confused about a false message/accusation that has resurfaced this week and is gaining traction in the social media realm.”

A member of the public who spoke at the meeting, Lisa Hansen, says in the video that she was informed by someone the day before the meeting that litter boxes had been added to the “unisex bathrooms” for students who “identify as cats.”

The school board members at the meeting did not respond to Ms. Hansen’s comments, but her remarks gained traction after Meshawn Maddock, a chairwoman of the Michigan Republican Party, shared a video of the school board meeting and the comments on Facebook on Thursday. “Kids who identify as ‘furries’ get a litter box in the school bathroom,” Ms. Maddock wrote in a Facebook post sharing the video of the board meeting. “Parent heroes will TAKE BACK our schools.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like the furries. They hold a convention here every summer, and it's amusing to see them around town.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Midland. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

ETA, some may be wondering about my Midland crack. I don't know that much about the town but some things about that town have always made me go hmm.

- Home of Dow Chemical (and parent Dow, Inc.)

- I remember driving by on US-10 many times ad there was a billboard from somebody who was clearly mad at the DEQ/DNR/EPA etc. and made sure their angry outright right-wingness showed in full ugly art glory (I assumed it was some landfill owner but could have been pushed by Dow).

- Home of the Mackinac Center for Teacher Bashing Public Policy.

That area has not always been my favorite.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”