Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fire!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Fire!

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -wildfires
Smoke from wildfires in the west caused hazy skies as air quality index surged to 157 in Manhattan, well above threshold of 100

New York City air quality was among the worst in the world as cities across the eastern US were shrouded in smoke from wildfires raging several thousand miles away on the country’s west coast.

State officials in New York advised vulnerable people, such as those with asthma and heart disease, to avoid strenuous outdoor activity as air pollution soared to eclipse Lima in Peru and Kolkata in India to be ranked as the worst in the world on Tuesday.

Smoke from more than 80 major wildfires burning in the US west has caused hazy skies and plunging air quality in eastern American and Canadian cities including Philadelphia, Washington DC, Pittsburgh and Toronto, as well as New York, causing fiery sunrises and even bathing the moon in an unusual red tinge on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday morning, the air quality index surged to 157 in Manhattan, well above the threshold of 100 where health is considered to be threatened. Vulnerable people include pregnant women and the elderly, although even healthy people outside these groups can experience breathing difficulty, throat irritation and runny eyes when exposed to air this bad.

I didn't think about it when I took sunset photos at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon last month, but my photos show extraordinarily oranges in the sky. The colors were almost certainly caused by the fires out West. (On this trip, we never saw any fires burning, but the road we took from Flagstaff to the South Rim had only opened up a few days before we drove it because of a large fire.)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The smoke in the east is making national news. Surprisingly, it's not noticeable at all in the Seattle area.

If it's that bad and one doesn't have AC, the HEPA air purifiers can help. Not perfect, but they do help.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:58 am The smoke in the east is making national news. Surprisingly, it's not noticeable at all in the Seattle area.

If it's that bad and one doesn't have AC, the HEPA air purifiers can help. Not perfect, but they do help.
I may have gotten fantastic photos of the sunset at the North Rim; back here, it's just a weird looking sky, overcast with odd sunsets.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I can’t see the valley from my deck, it’s so hazy here.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We’re sharing with youse guys. :batting:

I can’t remember my sky ever being as blue in July as it was yesterday. SoCal is usually more hazy than clear in the summer.

Our turn is coming. :?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Years ago, I was on the 15th floor of my day job office in the Chicago area when I started thinking, I smell smoke. Soon after, an announcement came over saying don't worry about the smell. It is not from the building but is coming in from the north. When I went to the train station, it was very noticeable (reminded me of the fall in places where they still burn leaves but even stronger).

It turned out, from the north meant, from the fires up in the boundary waters area of Minnesota. I suspect the lake air to the east caused the smoke to congregate in the Chicago area.

When I was in Glacier National Park, on the first day everything was hazy from fires in Washington. It stormed that night and suddenly, all haze was gone.

Day 1
Glacier day 1.JPG
Glacier day 1.JPG (22.43 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Day 2
Glacier day 2.JPG
Glacier day 2.JPG (79.48 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Looking at the current weather front and the wind streams, it looks like the northern winds are coming down in the midwest from a high-pressure system in Canada. This is pushing up against a cold front that runs from mid-Illinois over to New York. I wonder if that is pushing the smoke down into the lower altitudes instead of passing by higher overhead.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's really windy outside today, so I'm surprised it's still as hazy as it is, but I think it's going to start clearing out with the weather change coming tomorrow.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I do feel for you guys. A couple of years ago there was a big wildfire in Canada and the smoke came our way. Nasty nasty stuff. At least these days, everyone has a mask at hand :)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Fire in BC.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Rep. Bentz (R-OR) on wildfires: “People tend to blame climate change” but the “true cause” is the “amount of wood.”

File this under Whoa Duh! If only we made our forests out of better materials. (sigh)

I'm sure there is an argument for increased logging in here someplace, but the video post probably edited that out.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Amount of wood? Wrong! You don't rake enough :!:

:twisted:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The smoke is particularly bad in Minnesota today. Smoke from Canadian wildfires.

Fire and Smoke Map
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It's really strange looking in the Twin Cities today. All the smoke from the Canadian wildfires makes it look like a light fog, but it's like the air and the sky have a yellow tinge.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not exactly Dunkirk but a scary way to end your vacation.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fires still raging in the west. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I understand that Greenville had many historic buildings... :(

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-06/ ... /100354910

Greece PM blames devastating wildfires on climate change as ancient Olympia comes under threat

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has blamed the nation's devastating wildfires on climate change, as firefighters waged a round-the-clock battle to save a former royal palace and the birthplace of the ancient Olympics.

Key points:
Areas north of Athens and in southern Greece are under the greatest threat from fires
The EU sent 40 French firefighters and tonnes of material to help Greece's emergency efforts
Greek officials say it's the nation's worst heatwave since 1987
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Turkey on blaze, hit tourist regions
'The animals are on fire,' say devastated farmers as wildfires sweep Turkey

By Gul Tuysuz and Arwa Damon, CNN
Updated 0545 GMT (1345 HKT)
August 2, 2021

Manavgat, Turkey (CNN)In the small village of Kacarlar, on Turkey's southern coast, farmers are facing apocalyptic scenes as wildfires continue to sweep the country.

"The animals are on fire," 56-year-old resident, Muzeyyan Kacar, told CNN. "Everything is going to burn. Our land, our animals and our house. What else do we have anyway?"

Hundreds of miles west, in the tourist hotspot of Bodrum, more than 1,000 people were evacuated by boat on both Sunday and Saturday to escape the wildfires.

At least eight people have died in more than 100 blazes that broke out earlier this week, according to the state-run Anadolu news agency. The flames have been fueled by scorching summer temperatures and conditions that experts say have been worsened by climate change.

Seven people were killed in the fires in Manavgat, Antalya Province, and the eighth victim died in Marmaris, Anadolu reported. The latest victims include a Turkish-German couple who were found in a house, it said.

Two firefighters died battling the blazes on Saturday, according to the Turkish Agriculture and Forestry Ministry.

The ministry said that 111 fires have burned across the country since Wednesday, while six fires are still burning in three different cities as of Sunday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/31/worl ... index.html
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:

That's horrible.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

different view of ferry landing direct on the beach

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”