Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food Fight Forum

tek

Re: Food Fight Forum

Post by tek »

Oddly enough, ms and I had hotdogs with sauerkraut tonight.. not something we've ever had at home before, but seemed like a good idea.

She had hers with mustard and sauerkraut, I had mine with cheese and sauerkraut.

The kraut we had was Silver Floss (the brand my grandmother always used for Polish cooking), but it was "Bavarian" ... which it turns out is a bit sweeter and has caraway. We liked it.

This has been your Sunday afternoon hot dog report.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like the Silver Floss, but I've gotten to where I put caraway in any sauerkraut I get. That's a German sauerkraut, I think, if it has caraway in it.

If you add caraway to stew, you have goulash! :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

My mother always added sugar to her kraut.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I made lasagna
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm
America’s Taco Capital Isn’t Where You Think

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandonsch ... 6400a4ebff

I’m from KC (MO) and I approve this message.
That article is B*** S*** from start to finish.

TUCSON ARIZONA is not only the Taco Capital of the USA, it is the Mexican Food Capital Of The World!

And the United Nations says its so: UNESCO designates Tucson as World City of Gastronomy
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:21 pmI made lasagna
Send some over...
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I would if I could!
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Food fight from the North. Poutine, Tim Horton’s, and Caesars. ;)

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Every area has what others consider to be weird food. That would qualify. Here, they put fries and, sometimes, cole slaw on sandwiches (not my cup of tea). I try to taste new things when I'm somewhere new. In Barcelona, I tried french fries with a fried egg on it. It was actually pretty good. Sometimes if you try it, you will enjoy it. But not always. ;)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

coleslaw on a pulled-pork sandwich is awesome. That reminds me, I need to acquire a pork shoulder..
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

tek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:38 pm coleslaw on a pulled-pork sandwich is awesome. That reminds me, I need to acquire a pork shoulder..

Also too, there’s the Rachel, which is a version of the famous Reuben sandwich. That one substitutes coleslaw for sauerkraut. My very favorite is a turkey Rachel, which I now prefer to either corned beef or pastrami.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like any kind of Rachel/Reuben sandwich! My favorite Reuben is in Chicago, and with any luck, I'm going to have a chance at one next month. But I've had LOTS of good ones.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I like a Cuban sandwitch (which originated in Florida, not Cuba). Ham, Pork, Pickles, Mustard on Cuban Bread.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:07 pm I like a Cuban sandwitch (which originated in Florida, not Cuba). Ham, Pork, Pickles, Mustard on Cuban Bread.
:like: :pickle:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

tek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:38 pm coleslaw on a pulled-pork sandwich is awesome. That reminds me, I need to acquire a pork shoulder..
Cochon da lait! My favorite sandwich in the world.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sunrise wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Also too, there’s the Rachel, which is a version of the famous Reuben sandwich. That one substitutes coleslaw for sauerkraut. My very favorite is a turkey Rachel, which I now prefer to either corned beef or pastrami.
Down here the grouper Reuben is big, with coleslaw.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

we have a wonderful BBQ place called Bite Me BBQ

they have fish tacos with coleslaw on them....sooooooooo good
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:10 pm
Sunrise wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Down here the grouper Reuben is big, with coleslaw.

I LOVE grouper. So I gotta say I would LOVE that!
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:25 pm Every area has what others consider to be weird food. That would qualify. Here, they put fries and, sometimes, cole slaw on sandwiches (not my cup of tea). I try to taste new things when I'm somewhere new. In Barcelona, I tried french fries with a fried egg on it. It was actually pretty good. Sometimes if you try it, you will enjoy it. But not always. ;)
I was about to say "not Colorado" but then I remembered Rocky Mountain Oysters, which I have actually seen on a menu at least once. :eek:
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

FiveAcres wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:28 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:25 pm Every area has what others consider to be weird food. That would qualify. Here, they put fries and, sometimes, cole slaw on sandwiches (not my cup of tea). I try to taste new things when I'm somewhere new. In Barcelona, I tried french fries with a fried egg on it. It was actually pretty good. Sometimes if you try it, you will enjoy it. But not always. ;)
I was about to say "not Colorado" but then I remembered Rocky Mountain Oysters, which I have actually seen on a menu at least once. :eek:
When I lived at the Lake of the Ozarks, they had an annual Testicle Festival. We went once, moseying in about two hours after it started.

And they were out of everything, not counting beer, natch.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Everything sounds delicious (except the prairie oysters :lol: ). I’d love to try all those sandwiches!
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

FiveAcres wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:28 am
Aha! Rocky Mountain Oysters. As someone who has dined on Armadillo roasted whole over a fire in the indigenous mountains of Panama, RMO seemed a mild leap. Once back to the less wild mountains near Volcan, Panama, I saw them in a local meat market. Twenty-five cents a pound. Before heading home I stopped at the internet cafe and did the Google for tips on cooking them.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the bullocks in for one minute and transfer to ice water. Slip the outter membrane off. Slice, season, bread and fry.

RMO have a taste between chicken gizzards and chicken liver with a texture also in between. I liked them very much.
Attachments
Testicles.jpg
Testicles.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:11 am Aha! Rocky Mountain Oysters. As someone who has dined on Armadillo roasted whole over a fire in the indigenous mountains of Panama, RMO seemed a mild leap. Once back to the less wild mountains near Volcan, Panama, I saw them in a local meat market. Twenty-five cents a pound. Before heading home I stopped at the internet cafe and did the Google for tips on cooking them.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the bullocks in for one minute and transfer to ice water. Slip the outter membrane off. Slice, season, bread and fry.

RMO have a taste between chicken gizzards and chicken liver with a texture also in between. I liked them very much.
Um. I just have to say that doesn't sound appetizing. But, hey, to each their own.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'll try almost anything once. But I don't think I could ever eat frog legs.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:20 am I'll try almost anything once. But I don't think I could ever eat frog legs.
Taste like chicken.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”