Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
bob

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

Post by bob »

filly wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:01 pm A huge problem with this discussion is that the Defendant’s advocate does not know what the word “evidence “ means in the context of a legal proceeding.
Or how to use rhetoric in an attempt to persuade instead of just trying to score points. E.g.:
andersweinstein wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:00 amthat just on its face, abundant evidence strongly suggests he was no kind of extremist, had no hostility to the protestors, but was a purely defensive shooter acting out of genuine fear for his life.
Good thing it wasn't "clearly" or "obviously." :roll:

Self-defense cases are about circumstantial evidence, i.e., what evidence suggests a fear of immediate harm, and credibility, i.e., I believe the defendant did honestly fear even if those fears may have been unreasonable.

How this kind of evidence is interpreted is highly dependent on who is doing the interpreting -- different people can interpret and weigh the same evidence differently. Reasonable people acknowledge other reasonable people might have differing views; unreasonable people insist there is only one correct view.

So an oft-wrong, unlistening, arrogant demand that there's only one way to interpret such evidence is unsurprisingly unpersuasive.

Yet here we are.

But it looks to me like a lot of the pushback is coming from people who are just not that informed on the facts
Never insult your jury and then expect them to vote your way, "counselor."
Image ImageImage
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

bob wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:41 pm
Self-defense cases are about circumstantial evidence, i.e., what evidence suggests a fear of immediate harm, and credibility, i.e., I believe the defendant did honestly fear even if those fears may have been unreasonable.

How this kind of evidence is interpreted is highly dependent on who is doing the interpreting -- different people can interpret and weigh the same evidence differently. Reasonable people acknowledge other reasonable people might have differing views; unreasonable people insist there is only one correct view.
I agree 100% with this. It could be a problem with the jury.

If someone is familiar with info we have about the case, in particular has watched video of his behavior that night, and comes to a different conclusion, so be it.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Let’s assume that the criminal case against him fails.

Can he be sued for wrongful death?

If so - can his bail money be the target?
bob

Post by bob »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:28 pm Let’s assume that the criminal case against him fails.

Yes; just ask OJ.
I assume his assets will have long since been hidden away by the time there would be a civil verdict.
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

Thanks

The reason I asked about the bail money is that I assume that would be only identifiable asset until he gets book deals and paid appearances.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

First, i do hope he tells the IRS about that money he go funded. I suspect it might be taxable income.

That would be fine by me., by the time the lawyers, bail bondsman and the tax man take their cut he might not have a golden parachute.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 pm Thanks

The reason I asked about the bail money is that I assume that would be only identifiable asset until he gets book deals and paid appearances.
Do IL and MO have "Son of Sam" laws?
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:28 pm Let’s assume that the criminal case against him fails.

According to the Kenosha News story from February below, by law the $2 Million bail money will be returned to the person who paid it, which is John Pierce, who was the attorney who handled Kyle's release. It says he paid the bail with a cashier's check from his firm, listing his own home address on the paperwork.

It was raised by Lin Wood's "Fight Back Foundation" which is some sort of charitable entity. Pierce parted ways with that organization some time ago. Pierce has also been fired by Rittenhouse as attorney and criticized by his currently constituted defense fund.

I guess it ought to go back to the FightBack foundation which raised it. But it wouldn't be surprising if legal action will be required to recover it.

Dispute brewing over future of the $2 million bond posted in Rittenhouse case
Dave from down under

may the grifters fight it out in court for decades..
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:23 pm may the grifters fight it out in court for decades..
This sounds like a job for Orly Taitz! How do we hook her into this? Maybe give Lin Wood her number? This could be another Liberi v Taitz :P

LOVE your writing Maybenaut, so much respect for you. And Sugar, your points are always a pleasure to read. Not knowing enough about this, my thought is with Dave from down under that Foggy agreed with: "Criminal with illegal gun deliberately shoots people. The end." But that's for the trial to work out, and as Maybenaut said, as long as it's a fair trial, I'm good with the result.

Will Sommer did a piece on Pierce:
He Repped Kyle Rittenhouse, MAGA Monkey Owners… and Capitol Rioters
“He’s not a defense attorney, and therefore he’s not an especially good defense attorney,” one journalist who has covered lawyer John Pierce’s filings said.
Will Sommer Politics Reporter
Updated Aug. 02, 2021 11:11AM ET / Published Aug. 02, 2021 3:50AM ET

The U.S. Capitol riot launched one of the largest investigations in Justice Department history, with hundreds of defendants now facing charges. But the lawyer who’s put himself at the center of nearly 20 of the legal defenses has plenty of problems of his own—from a bizarre legal strategy and looming debts to a struggling case defending a handful of chimpanzees.

Once a high-flying civil attorney, lawyer John Pierce has reinvented himself, in the face of mountains of debt, as a go-to lawyer for conservative causes célèbres. After being fired from representing accused Kenosha, Wisconsin, murder suspect Kyle Rittenhouse over a financial dispute, Pierce has become perhaps the most public legal face of the Jan. 6 defense, representing more than a dozen clients as he tries out unorthodox legal strategies and jousts with his critics on Twitter. But even as his star rises on the right, Pierce has been undermined by a bizarre tweet appearing to threaten federal officials, an employee facing felony charges for allegedly defrauding a grandmother, and his own financial woes. Pierce declined to comment.

Pierce now represents at least 17 of the Jan. 6 defendants, more than any other lawyer. His clients include Proud Boy William Pepe and L. Brent Bozell IV, the son of conservative media commentator L. Brent Bozell III. Pierce also represents Ryan Samsel, an accused rioter identified by prosecutors as the man caught on video consulting with a top Proud Boy leader before attacking police officers in the riot’s first minutes.

“We are going to take every one of these cases to trial, we are going to seek full acquittals, and in that process we are going to find out what actually happened on Jan. 6,” Pierce said at a June rally in support of the riot defendants. In one court hearing, Pierce said he would pursue a “public authority defense”—an unusual legal tactic sometimes used by informants that would see him argue that his clients believed that the government, in the form of Donald Trump, had legally sanctioned their law-breaking.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-pier ... ol-rioters

I'm keenly interested in hearing more about wiener dogs taking the stick. :smoking:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

... we are going to seek full acquittals ...
Those are better than just plain acquittals. Kinda like high treason is worse than regular treason, or sumpin'.
Off Topic
Yesterday at the Seattle Zoo I really did convince a three year old boy that the hippos were "out of gas" and we needed to take them to the gas station. "See how they're not moving?"

So he told his mom (my niece), "Mom, we have to take the hippos to the gas station."

My work here is done. 8-)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:12 am
Off Topic
Yesterday at the Seattle Zoo I really did convince a three year old boy that the hippos were "out of gas" and we needed to take them to the gas station. "See how they're not moving?"

So he told his mom (my niece), "Mom, we have to take the hippos to the gas station."

My work here is done. 8-)
Off Topic
You are one of those bad uncles, making problems. 8-)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My brothers are both bad uncles. We taught our sons to look for evidence of "pulling your leg", then to say, "Eat my dust." :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Obviously not evidence of Rittenhouse's guilt, but let's be clear about some of the groups that are supporting him.
Action Zealandia, NZ's largest neo-Nazi group, on the hunt for new recruits
:snippity:
This week, in an attempt to claim August 9 as "White Lives Matter Day", the group's leaders demanded that all of its chapters do banner drops and poster runs in the days leading up to August 9.

Action Zealandia members attempted to plaster "White Lives Matter" and "Kyle Rittenhouse Was Right" posters in the Dunedin City Centre in June, but fled the area after they were approached by members of the public. (Kyle Rittenhouse was a 17-year-old American charged with shooting and killing two protesters at a Black Lives Matter protest in Wisconsin in 2020). Action Zealandia does not currently have a Dunedin presence — but it has in the past, and it wants to become more active in the city.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/action-ze ... VNAX2DKRA/

And far from disavowing this, Rittenhouse and his legal team have attempted to capitalize on it by selling merch. I know they got shut down a few times, for being, well, racist assholes, but it looks like they've found somewhere to host again.
https://freekyleusastore.com/
The Milo Fund LLC was organized by Wendy Rittenhouse to receive and disburse donations to pay for Kyle's defense.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Today (8/17) in history, seventeen-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse was arrested in Illinois in the shooting deaths of two people and the wounding of another. Court TV has announced live, gavel-to-gavel coverage, in-depth legal reporting, and expert analysis for both the Rittenhouse and Aubrey trials.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 55971.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

And today in history:

Father of man killed in Kenosha protest accuses cops of conspiring with militia members

https://www.courthousenews.com/father-o ... a-members/
The father of a protester shot and killed by Kyle Rittenhouse has sued the city, county and law enforcement agencies of Kenosha for allowing the teen and hundreds of other vigilantes to patrol the streets.
“If a Black person had approached police with an assault rifle, offering to patrol the streets with the police, he most likely would have been shot dead,” the lawsuit states. “If a Black child had shot three citizens with an assault rifle and was seen walking away from the scene of the shooting with the assault rifle in hand, while other citizens yelled he was an active shooter, he would have been shot dead.

It continues, "In none of these circumstances would defendants have permitted the individual to roam the streets, illegally and heavily armed, shoot civilians, and then walk past a dozen officers, talk to them, and simply go home.”
raison de arizona

busterbunker wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:38 pm And today in history:

Father of man killed in Kenosha protest accuses cops of conspiring with militia members

https://www.courthousenews.com/father-o ... a-members/
The father of a protester shot and killed by Kyle Rittenhouse has sued the city, county and law enforcement agencies of Kenosha for allowing the teen and hundreds of other vigilantes to patrol the streets.
“If a Black person had approached police with an assault rifle, offering to patrol the streets with the police, he most likely would have been shot dead,” the lawsuit states. “If a Black child had shot three citizens with an assault rifle and was seen walking away from the scene of the shooting with the assault rifle in hand, while other citizens yelled he was an active shooter, he would have been shot dead.

It continues, "In none of these circumstances would defendants have permitted the individual to roam the streets, illegally and heavily armed, shoot civilians, and then walk past a dozen officers, talk to them, and simply go home.”
The man killed was named Anthony Huber, here is the lawsuit: https://loevy-content-uploads.s3.amazon ... int_fs.pdf
Dave from down under

What is the strengths/weaknesses of this filing?
bob

Post by bob »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:33 pm What is the strengths/weaknesses of this filing?
With respect to Rittenhouse's criminal case, very little.

It arguably strengthens the case that Rittenhouse was not in fear for his life. But the evidence isn't particularly compelling, and is relatively collateral to the issues in Rittenhouse's case. The judge in Rittenhouse's case likely would exclude this evidence as a waste of time, confusing as to the actual issues before the jury, etc.
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

Thank you,

I wasn’t clear

I meant on its own merit as a lawsuit against the named defendants
tencats

Post by tencats »

Rittenhouse made 'vigilante' remarks before shootings: prosecutors
https://www.fox6now.com/news/kenosha-ri ... ial-motion
Published 1 hour ago
KENOSHA, Wis. - Prosecutors say recently found video shows Kyle Rittenhouse talking about firing his assault rifle weeks before the fatal shootings in Kenosha, and they are fighting to get that video entered as evidence.

Preparing for the November homicide trial, Kenosha County prosecutors filed new motions the week of Sunday, Aug. 15, saying the video found earlier in the month could be important evidence. However, the judge would first need to allow it.
Sponsored Links
Amazon Has Millions of Prime Subscribers — But Few Know About This Savings TrickCapital One Shopping

In a 29-second video taken outside of a CVS, a person is heard off-camera talking about firing an assault rifle because he thinks people are shoplifting.

"Bro, I wish I had my (expletive) AR. I'd start shooting rounds at them," the person says.

Prosecutors say the CVS video was taken 15 days before the shootings and can help prove intent. Arguing in a court filing:

"The defendant saw something, jumped to a conclusion based on exactly zero facts, and threatened to kill someone based on baseless assumption and wrongful interpretation."

Prosecutors went on to write:

"The video also demonstrates that the defendant fervently sought to insert himself as an armed vigilante into situations that had nothing to do with him."

raison de arizona

The other motion the prosecution made was to unmask all the donors to his $2M bail fund and those that have purchased Rittenhouse's merch. They want to exclude them and their families from serving on the jury. Because they can't be trusted to answer questions honestly on their jury questionnaire.
In a second motion, Binger asks Circuit Judge Bruce Schroeder to compel Rittenhouse to turn over the names of anyone who has donated to his legal defense, $2 million bail or purchased "Free Kyle" merchandise through his family's web site.

Those people, he argues, should not be allowed to serve on the jury for Rittenhouse's trial, currently scheduled for Nov. 1.

Binger said it would be fine if a master list were given only to Schroeder, and then if only names from Kenosha County were shared with the prosecution, which he said might want to further investigate whether those people or family or associates wind up in the pool of potential jurors.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 188090002/
raison de arizona

Hoodlum 🇺🇸
@NotHoodlum
·
8m
Kyle Rittenhouse’s attorney, John Pierce who said he would never get the vaccine, even if forced to - is on a ventilator and non-responsive. Thoughtless prayers. 🙏
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

And he represents a bunch of the January 6 defendants. I assume those people are going to have to get new counsel.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:58 am And he represents a bunch of the January 6 defendants. I assume those people are going to have to get new counsel.
Funny you should say that.

Return to “Other weirdos”