Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
Uninformed

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

Post by Uninformed »

Is this for real or are they trying to one-up the Cyber Ninjas?
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

Uninformed wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:58 pm Is this for real or are they trying to one-up the Cyber Ninjas?
¿Por qué no los dos?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Motions in Klye [sic] Rittenhouse shooting case to be argued Friday

Six weeks before the scheduled start of Kyle Rittenhouse's trial, a judge in Kenosha on Friday is set to hear arguments on a raft of motions that could shape what a jury hears.
:snippity:
As the Nov. 1 trial date nears, Kenosha County Circuit Judge Bruce Schroeder will decide what evidence must be shared, and what "other acts" of Rittenhouse and one of his victims can be presented to the jury.

Prosecutors want to introduce videos of Rittenhouse hitting a girl who was fighting with his sister in July 2020, and of him saying he wished he had his rifle with him so he could shoot at people he seemed to assume were stealing from a CVS drug store 15 days before the violence, and surveillance photos of Rittenhouse posing for pictures with Proud Boys members at a tavern after a court hearing in January.
The state says the CVS video shows Rittenhouse was "eager to use deadly force in an unlawful situation."

The defense says all those requests should be denied. The videos don't address what the defense says is the only issue in the case — whether Rittenhouse acted reasonably when he fired at his victims — and would only be prejudicial by leading jurors to make impermissible character inferences.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 363104002/

Moar at the link and there are a lot of other local news sources covering this as well.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:22 pm
Motions in Klye [sic] Rittenhouse shooting case to be argued Friday

Six weeks before the scheduled start of Kyle Rittenhouse's trial, a judge in Kenosha on Friday is set to hear arguments on a raft of motions that could shape what a jury hears.
State motion to admit Proud Boys evidence: denied.
State motion to admit girl punching incident: denied.
Defense motion to admit Rosenbaum sex offender status: denied.
State motion requesting donor list from defense: denied
State motion for CVS video: "The events are so totally dissimilar ... I'm going to withhold a final decision with a bias toward refusing."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/us/kyle- ... index.html
raison de arizona

"Defense attorney Corey Chirafisi"

Who's this guy? Wasn't Rittenhouse repped by that guy that had covid? John Pierce?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:26 pm "Defense attorney Corey Chirafisi"

Who's this guy? Wasn't Rittenhouse repped by that guy that had covid? John Pierce?
IIRC Pierce withdrew when the prosecutor had evidence he was massively in debt.
andersweinstein

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:26 pm "Defense attorney Corey Chirafisi"

The Rittenhouses fired Pierce some time ago. But Pierce was never going to be in the role of WI criminal defense attorney handling the case. That has been Mark Richards. Chirafisi was added to the team somewhat later.

https://www.insider.com/kyle-rittenhous ... ing-2021-5
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Prosecutors can’t show Kyle Rittenhouse’s link to Proud Boys: Judge”:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021 ... boys-judge
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I'm not super thrilled with the rulings in this case yesterday. I've seen way too many (lower profile, to be sure) cases where judges are happy to let prosecutors bring in the kitchen sink against a defendant and relevance be damned. To my mind, the Proud Boys connection is an own-goal on Rittenhouse's part and should have come in. He has knowingly chosen to associate with that group while his case is pending, and cannot possibly be unaware of the negative connotations of that affiliation. To the extent that such information might prejudice or inflame the jury against him, he has only himself to blame. Newsflash to defendants in racially-charged homicide cases: Don't pal around with white supremacists after you've been charged.

All that being said, there is definitely going to be an appeal if Rittenhouse is convicted of anything, and I can't entirely fault the trial judge for wanting to try this case only once. His rulings yesterday closed off several potentially fruitful avenues to overturn a guilty verdict and get a new trial. This is especially so with a majority of the Wisconsin Supreme Court occupied by right-wing partisan hacks. There may be a calculation here by a trial judge that he needs to give Rittenhouse the benefit of every doubt to avoid getting nuked from orbit on appeal. Again, that's frustrating to me as the lowly public defender, because my clients who don't have the benefit of publicity and a large base of sympathizers racists publicly supporting them never get these kinds of rulings.

I've been saying from the outset that jury selection is going to be absolutely crucial to this trial. That opinion has not changed. I don't necessarily even think that these rulings make it more likely Rittenhouse is acquitted. I'm just irritated by the disparity when I compare this case to others I have seen/litigated where there was far less public attention.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 am
I've been saying from the outset that jury selection is going to be absolutely crucial to this trial. That opinion has not changed. I don't necessarily even think that these rulings make it more likely Rittenhouse is acquitted. I'm just irritated by the disparity when I compare this case to others I have seen/litigated where there was far less public attention.
100 percent.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
andersweinstein

fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 am To my mind, the Proud Boys connection is an own-goal on Rittenhouse's part and should have come in. He has knowingly chosen to associate with that group while his case is pending, and cannot possibly be unaware of the negative connotations of that affiliation. To the extent that such information might prejudice or inflame the jury against him, he has only himself to blame. Newsflash to defendants in racially-charged homicide cases: Don't pal around with white supremacists after you've been charged.
Note this is disputed. The defense denies he knew those people were Proud Boys or knew anything about the Proud Boys when he associated with them. Remember their position is that he is innocent of any extremist ideology.

No one has to believe them, of course, but that is their position. The New Yorker piece has an account of how these interactions came about which is consistent with this idea, presumably obtained from people on his side.

For myself, I think it more of an own-goal by his handlers to allow this to happen.
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
raison de arizona

Also, Lin wants the bail money back.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

This is like the Browns playing Pittsburgh, its a shame someone will probably win.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Gregg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:48 am This is like the Browns playing Pittsburgh, its a shame someone will probably win.
:rotflmao:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Lin Wood posts about the bail funds on Telegram. Seems complicated.

Kyle Lin.jpg
Kyle Lin.jpg (66.01 KiB) Viewed 872 times

Here's his story:
► Show Spoiler
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

As you can see from the spreadsheet below, #FightBack paid out more for Kyle than donations received for Kyle.
IANAA, but the way I read this there is $607,878.98 worth of 'donations' that are unaccounted for.

Just sayin'
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Lock 'em in a dark room and toss in a few loaded handguns. Then do like you do for microwave popcorn, when the sound of shots fired, or popcorn popping, stops, open the door. With any luck they'll kill each other.

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:19 am Lock 'em in a dark room and toss in a few loaded handguns. Then do like you do for microwave popcorn, when the sound of shots fired, or popcorn popping, stops, open the door. With any luck they'll kill each other.
Not pistols, tridents and gladiuses :twisted:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

:fingerwag: gladii, second declension masculine nominative plural

Although perhaps gladioli would be as good a weapon for them.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:P Might be too obscure but had a laugh seeing her again... we had such fun at her shows. Wave that Glad!

Dame Edna Everage Gladdie Time Pink Gladiolus by Jock Mooneywork-43118306-primary-w-tank-racerback.jpg
DAME EDNA EVERAGE GLADDIE TIME PINK GLADIOLUS

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 pm :fingerwag: gladii, second declension masculine nominative plural

Wait...I was supposed to remember the Latin I was taught in Catholic school???? :think:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:59 pm
Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 pm :fingerwag: gladii, second declension masculine nominative plural

Wait...I was supposed to remember the Latin I was taught in Catholic school???? :think:
Bene, mea culpa, te absolvo. :biggrin:
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

I've been stupid busy the last couple days, but as the resident Wisconsin criminal lawyer here, I want to point out that actually (and it gives me absolutely no pleasure to say this) Lin Wood is in the right with the letters to the court regarding the bond money. Assuming bond is not forfeited (including some amount used to pay court costs and/or restitution in the event Rittenhouse is convicted), Wisconsin law requires that bond money be returned to the person or persons who posted it. So yeah, Lin Wood's organization should get their money back. And if you think about it, it would be perverse in the extreme if it were to be otherwise and Rittenhouse stood to be enriched to the tune of $2 million whenever the case concluded.

In fact, although I never did this while I was in private practice, it is quite common for defense lawyers to file letters with the court - countersigned by the client of course - requesting that a specific amount of the client's bond be returned to the lawyer and not to whomever posted it, as a way for the lawyer to obtain some security for a retainer that has not been paid in full. Again, not something I ever did, but not at all an uncommon occurrence.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I kind of thought whoever paid the bond should be who its returned to, I just hated to be in the position of favoring Lin Wood for anything. If a civil suit is filed against him, can that money be held against that?

Return to “Other weirdos”