Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Parler, the Mercers' personal playground?

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Major Trump backer Rebekah Mercer orchestrates Parler’s second act
Mercer, whose family also invested in right-wing news site Breitbart, controls two of the three board seats at the company
When social media website Parler’s founding CEO John Matze was pushed out last month, it was at the direction of a quiet but powerful political megadonor backing the right-leaning site.

Rebekah Mercer, the 47-year-old daughter of major Republican donor Robert Mercer, is a founding investor of Parler. She increasingly pulls the strings at the company, according to people familiar with the company who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private business matters. She holds the majority stake in Parler and controlled two of three board seats as of early February — a board to which she recently appointed allies.

The social media company started garnering a name for itself last year as a friendly gathering spot for Republican politicians and pundits turned off by fact-checking and moderation on sites like Facebook and Twitter. But Parler, which publicly extolled itself as a free-speech-focused network with minimal rules, became a breeding ground for conspiracy theories about the 2020 presidential election. The site was knocked offline shortly after the riot at the U.S. Capitol for its alleged role in allowing the rioters to plan and egg each other on.

Now Mercer, who is credited with helping get Donald Trump elected president in 2016, is working to revive the site. It came back online last week with her new handpicked CEO, former tea party patriots leader, Mark Meckler, at the helm. It’s the latest in a long line of maneuvers by the Mercer family to create an alternative media industry that pushes a version of the news that fits with their right-wing, populist political agenda — while keeping a low profile themselves.
<snip>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ah-mercer/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Parler, the Mercers' personal playground?

Post by Luke »

:lol:

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh, snap. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

But wait, there's more :roll:
Parler drops Amazon lawsuit, then files new one in King County court
BY NICK BOWMAN MARCH 4, 2021 AT 9:40 AM

On Tuesday, Parler dropped a lawsuit it had filed against Amazon in a U.S. District Court. Hours later, it filed a new lawsuit against the company, this time in King County Superior Court. The lawsuit Parler dropped was largely rooted in antitrust claims, asserting three claims: That Amazon illegally sought to reduce competition in the social media sphere on behalf of Twitter; AWS breached its contract in terminating its agreement with Parler; and Amazon intentionally interfered with Parler’s business relationships. U.S. District Court Judge Barbara Rothstein initially ruled against all three of those claims in denying Parler a preliminary injunction while the lawsuit played out.

Parler — billed as a refuge for conservatives looking for a refuge from Twitter — came under fire in the wake of the Jan. 6 siege on the U.S. Capitol, with many of its users advocating for violence against opponents of President Donald Trump. In terminating its account with Parler in early January, Amazon cited a “steady increase” in that sort of troubling and potentially inciting content in the weeks leading up to the Capitol riot. Both Apple and Google removed Parler from their respective app stores for similar reasons. Parler’s website and app came back online in mid-February, after moving its hosting to Los Angeles-based cloud computing company SkySilk.

The company’s new lawsuit filed in King County Superior Court focuses less on antitrust violations and more on breaches of contract, unfair trade practices, and allegations of defamation. It is now seeking monetary damages from Amazon, rather than the resumption of hosting services it asked for in its first lawsuit. In this latest lawsuit, Parler alleges that Amazon violated a provision in its contract that allows for “30 days either to cure or find another host” if there’s problematic content from users. “From the beginning of their contractual relationship, AWS had known that Parler used a reactive system to deal with problematic content — and not once had AWS said that such a system was insufficient or in violation of the parties’ contract,” the company said in its court filing. “What is more, AWS knew that Parler was testing out a new proactive system that would catch problematic content before it was even posted.”

Amazon countered that claim in a statement to The Verge, saying that “Parler was unable or unwilling to promptly identify and remove this content, which coupled with an increase in this type of dangerous content, led to our suspension of their services.”
https://mynorthwest.com/2655684/parler- ... nty-court/

New soon-to-fail lawsuit, 66 pages: https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... amazon.pdf

Amazon statement: In a statement to The Verge, Amazon dismissed the claims as meritless. “As shown by the evidence in Parler’s federal lawsuit, it was clear that there was significant content on Parler that encouraged and incited violence against others, which is a violation of our terms of service,” a representative said. “Further, Parler was unable or unwilling to promptly identify and remove this content, which coupled with an increase in this type of dangerous violent content, led to our suspension of their services.”
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/3/22310 ... ree-speech

Parler hasn't caught back on, seems folks like GAB better. Even Bill Mitchell says it isn't the same. Had the scroll issue too, there's no right side scroll bar on desktop.

BILL MITCHELL'S: YourVoice™ Channel, [02.03.21 03:54]
[Forwarded from BILL MITCHELL'S: YourVoice™ Channel (Bill Mitchell)]
Parler has definitely lost something since returning. My engagement is a fraction of what it was. Something just "feels different" than before. Can't put my finger on what it is. I haven't gained any followers since they restarted. How are you guys feeling?

Tina Marie, [02.03.21 03:55]
[In reply to BILL MITCHELL'S: YourVoice™ Channel]
I agree with you 💯 %

Tina Marie, [02.03.21 03:56]
I've noticed that there seems to be more of a censorship in play. TF?

Neen, [02.03.21 04:06]
I can't seem to get on as easily as before. I think we need to be patient and let them work out the bugs.

Justin Sholtz, [02.03.21 04:06]
Seems bogus deleted it

Carole Heaster, [02.03.21 04:19]
Scrolling is weird. Can’t click on a notification and go back to main frame. I think people are using it less than before because of the bugs and that would account for less interaction with you. Surely people would be following you if the app were more user friendly like before

Paul Harvey, [02.03.21 06:13]
Since the management change it doesn’t feel like a place I want to build a following on. Gab has grown in people I want to follow (that moved from Twitter) and in quality as a useable product. I also believe far more strongly in Andrew Torba and his ethos that I’m happy to make Gab the place to settle down in

Steffanie Vlasity, [02.03.21 06:14]
Yes! Parler is not the same place it was. Lots of bugs and a really muted feel. No lively back and forth. Any time I get a notification saying someone voted for a my comment I cannot see the comment to even respond if I wanted to. It completely kills any chance to have a conversation. Also seeing lots of "troll" filters on posts, some of which are not even trolling posts when you see them. Whatever they did they have ruined Parler. I have come to like Gab best so far as an alternative. MeWe was also weird and not easy to use like Gab is. I appreciate Telegram in some ways but even it has design limitations that make engagement awkward.

Lord Vempyre, [02.03.21 06:18]
I think people are scared, with good reasons, that their info will be again stolen like it was and people are afraid to be doxxed. Also, there's all this hypocrisy around whether parler is protecting free speech or caving to the leftist agenda. I think those factors push people away from full interacting with people in Parler. For me, those are the reasons and more. I still use it, but very cautiously.

This seems like a lot of work (and "their" vs. "there" :cry:) :

Lance wolffe, [02.03.21 22:38]
[In reply to Pam]
trust me, AWS took every single bit of data and copied it, seen things like that happen before with other services, but what I dont get. is why did parler not have a backup of there site, I keep backups of backups, like right now Im cloning two drives for this particular laptop, so if something happens to this drive installed, I have a plug and play backup of it. why did they have to change every single aspect of the site. nothing about it resembles parler, none of the functions resemble parler, and now even tho bongino says he is no longer part of the day to day cause of health, to me, its kinda odd he picks just now to do this.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Why anyone would trust their personal information to Parler at this point is beyond me. You would think they would be sufficiently paranoid not to want to trust their personal information to any site. And I doubt that most of these people could find the dark web if one gave them detailed instructions written in words of one syllable.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Post by Delarin »

The King County, WA case number is 21-2-02856-6 SEA.

I took a quick look at the docket using the Clerk's Records Access Portal, and found this:
7 03/03/2021 NTFPR - Notice of Filing Petition for Removal to U.S. District Court 160

Hmmmm! :lol:

I can't get to the document itself, has anyone seen it?

What would be the federal issue that would warrant removal?
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

It is here. Can't answer your other question cuz I have not read it.
https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... amazon.pdf
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

scirreeve wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:45 am It is here. Can't answer your other question cuz I have not read it.
https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... amazon.pdf
You posted Parker’s complaint, not the petition for removal to federal court. I note that Parler has hired one of the best litigation boutiques in Seattle (Calfo Eakes) to represent it.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

I tracked down the removal notice.
Parler v AWS - Removal Notice 2021-03-03.pdf
(65.43 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
It appears that the basis for removal is diversity. BTW the federal case has been transferred to Judge Rothstein (who denied Parler's request for a temporary injunction).
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Post by Delarin »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:18 am I tracked down the removal notice. Parler v AWS - Removal Notice 2021-03-03.pdf
Thank you!
Luke

Post by Luke »

For all those Fogbow Parler fans... 8-)
Social Media App Parler Returns to Google's Play Store
Friday, 02 September 2022 03:31 PM EDT

Parler, a social media app popular with U.S. conservatives, is returning to Google's app store more than 1-1/2 years after the Alphabet Inc.-owned company removed it following the attack on the U.S. Capitol in January 2021. The app was launched in 2018 and styled itself as a free-speech space for those seeking an alternative to platforms such as Twitter. It quickly gained traction from supporters of former U.S. President Donald Trump. However, major tech platforms cut ties with Parler for failing to police violent content that led to the attack on the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters.

The app is now being reinstated after it undertook a series of measures to moderate content on the platform, including features to block abusive users and remove content that could incite violence, a Google spokesperson said. Parler has substantially modified its app to comply with Play Store's policies and will be available for download from Friday, the spokesperson added.

Parler did not immediately respond to a request for comment. To be sure, Parler had made its app available for Android phones through a separate version that could be downloaded on its website after it was removed from Play Store. Apple Inc. reinstated the app on its App Store in May last year.
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/parle ... d/1085806/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kanye West to buy rightwing social network Parler
Purchase by rapper, who changed name to Ye in 2021, expected to be completed by end of year

Alex Hern UK technology editor
Mon 17 Oct 2022 11.23 BST

Kanye West is buying the rightwing social network Parler for an undisclosed sum, the site has announced.

The purchase by the rapper, who legally changed his name to Ye last year, is expected to close in the fourth quarter of this year.

“In a world where conservative opinions are considered to be controversial we have to make sure we have the right to freely express ourselves,” he said in a statement.

George Farmer, the chief executive of Parler’s parent company, Parlement Technologies, said: “This deal will change the world, and change the way the world thinks about free speech. Ye is making a groundbreaking move into the free speech media space and will never have to fear being removed from social media again.”

Farmer, who is married to the rightwing activist Candace Owens and is the son of the former Conservative party treasurer and peer Michael Farmer, added: “Once again, Ye proves that he is one step ahead of the legacy media narrative. Parlement will be honoured to help him achieve his goals.” Parlement Technologies will continue to operate as an independent company, according to a press release, providing “technical support and the use of private cloud services” to the Parler site.

The social network was founded in 2018 by John Matze and Rebekah Mercer, the daughter of the billionaire hedge fund manager and Breitbart co-owner Robert Mercer. But the fact many of those who carried out the 6 January storming of the US Capitol used the site led to the ousting of Matze and his replacement in May 2021 by Farmer.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ork-parler
tek

Post by tek »

The Onion just can't compete with reality.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The former guy will at least have a space for a free account when his own media empire collapses :lol:
raison de arizona

the official announcement
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Huh. I didn't know Parler's CEO was Owen's husband. Interesting.
Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 @RonFilipkowski wrote: Parler CEO George Farmer (Candace Owens husband) says Kanye was motivated to buy Parler after he was banned from other platforms.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

They saw Kanye coming....

He's gonna get hosed.
curmudgeon
Verified:

Post by curmudgeon »

They saw Kanye coming....

He's gonna get hosed.
He doesn't seem to be "Ye of little faith." :sarcastic: :sarcastic:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Oops.
Adam Ryan 🤝 @AdamRy_n wrote: Today's media operations fail:

Parler sent an email to all users with 300+ of their verified users CC'd instead of BCC'd

Now hundreds of people are replying and everyone has access to the personal emails of many verified users and Parler investors
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The layoffs seem to have begun just after Ye's acquisition was called off.

in https://www.engadget.com/parler-layoffs ... 17991.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Parler’s parent company has laid off a majority of its staff
/ The sudden purge throws Parler’s future into question.

By MAKENA KELLY
Jan 11, 2023, 12:32 AM GMT+1|

Parlement Technologies, the parent company of “censorship-free” social media platform Parler, has laid off a majority of its staff and most of its chief executives over the last few weeks. The sudden purge of staff has thrown the future of Parler, one of the first conservative alternatives to mainstream platforms, into question.

Parlement Technologies began laying off workers in late November, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter. These layoffs continued through at least the end of December, when around 75 percent of staffers were let go in total, leaving approximately 20 employees left working at both Parler and the parent-company’s cloud services venture. A majority of the company’s executives, including its chief technology, operations, and marketing officers, have also been laid off, according to a source familiar with the matter.

George Farmer, husband to conservative influencer Candace Owens, is the current CEO of Parlement Technologies, Parler’s parent company. Farmer replaced Parler’s former CEO, John Matze, in May 2021, shortly after the app was unbanned from app stores. In an interview with The Wall Street Journal in February 2021, Matze said he was ousted for his desire to reshape the platform’s moderation policies.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/10/2354 ... dace-owens
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Parler social media is officially gone.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Starboard, formerly Olympic Media, founded in 2018 houses conservative-leaning platforms American Wire and BizPac Review. It plans to service "unsupported online communities" and build a home for them "away from the ad-hoc regulatory hand of platforms that hate them."

Return to “QAnon and StopTheSteal whackos”