Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Blassingame et al v. Trump - District Court, D.C. - Jan 6 civil suits by cops, etc. against Trump

MN-Skeptic

Blassingame et al v. Trump - District Court, D.C. - Jan 6 civil suits by cops, etc. against Trump

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think this deserves its own thread.

Previously - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36&p=30434&hilit=Swalwell#p30434

Now from Law & Crime -

In Attempt to Deflect and Dismiss Lawsuit Accusing Him of Inciting Jan. 6, Trump Says: What About Bernie Sanders, Chuck Schumer, and Cori Bush?
In a legal brief resembling one of his freewheeling campaign speeches and impeachment defense montages, Donald Trump went on the attack against lawmakers like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), and Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) to depict the former president’s speech in the lead-up to the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol as routine political rhetoric.

Trump’s missive comes courtesy of his lawyer Jesse Binnall, who offered dozens of conspiracy theories to explain away the former president’s defeat in Nevada. In December, former Michael Flynn lawyer Binnall blamed voter fraud, dead voters, electronic voting machines, automated vote-counting machines, shenanigans by election officials and more for Trump’s loss, and a judge shot down some 25 of his varying hypotheses.

In the brief, the former president casts his efforts to subvert the 2020 election and block its legally mandated certification as merely “exercising a specific constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed.”

“President Trump had an ever-present duty to ensure the election laws were followed, including the certification process,” Binnall wrote.

The argument turns on its head an argument deployed against Trump, accusing him of violating that duty.
Legal brief here.
Kendra

Re: Swalwell v. Trump - District Court, D.C.

Post by Kendra »

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/10/poli ... index.html
(CNN)A federal judge in Washington, DC, is set to consider, for the first time, whether former President Donald Trump is immune from liability related to his supporters attacking the US Capitol on January 6, 2021.

The major hearing on Monday is part of a trio of insurrection-related lawsuits seeking to hold Trump and others accountable at a time when the House select committee probing January 6 has aggressively investigated the political leaders who inspired the attack, and as the Justice Department is prosecuting more than 700 rioters for criminal offenses.

The court hearing, set to begin at 1 p.m. ET before Judge Amit Mehta of the DC District Court, will address key questions including whether Trump and Republican figures like Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama can shield themselves from legal fallout because of the First Amendment or their stature as elected officials.

It is the first major test of whether civil litigation is a viable route to holding Trump accountable for the violence toward Congress, after he was acquitted by the Senate in his second impeachment trial last February.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

There will be a public line to listen to this hearing, here's that info:
Toll Free Number: 877-848-7030
Access Code: 3218747
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Moved the topic to Civil Suits arising from the Big Lie, please advise if there are others.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks V, I was hoping someone would live tweet.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Haven't dug through it all, but mixed bag? Looks like maybe Guiliani got off the hook, but Trump mostly didn't? Anyway, 112 pages for your perusal.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 66.0_6.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Someone's on it for us.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

A federal judge DENIES much of Donald Trump's motion to dismiss civil suits seeking to hold him liable for Jan. 6.

Rudy Giuliani and Don Jr. secured dismissal.

Brooks denied immunity—but invited to file motion to dismissal that judge "will grant."
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh, ouchy. :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

He hasn't had a good week, has he? :violin:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rep Mo Brooks (R-AL) files new motion (serving as his own defense attorney) .... seeking dismissal of civil suit filed by Rep Eric Swalwell (D-CA) Swalwell suit argues Rep Brooks & Trump rally participants contributed to Jan 6
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Swalwell v. Trump - District Court, D.C.

Post by Reality Check »

This case and two others were combined in an appeal by Trump's attorneys that he is immune from civil claims over the January 6th, 2021 insurrection. The DC Appeals Court upheld the district courts denial of his immunity claims.

Blassingame, et. al. v Trump, DC Court of Appeals

Trump is not appealing this decision to the Supreme Court. He apparently will appeal denial of immunity in the same court in his criminal case.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

This could be fun, I did see Swalwell on at least one show over the weekend, IIRC it sounded like things were going to get going again and discovery soon. That could be fun :biggrin:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I am surprised Trump chose not to appeal this to SCOTUS. He is making the same arguments in his appeal on immunity claims in the criminal case, which he is appealing to the SC.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Can we change the name of this thread to Blassingame et al (civil suit against trump from congressfolk/cops) ...or something like that (so we know who the et al are).

I'd totally forgotten about this case.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:20 pm Can we change the name of this thread to Blassingame et al (civil suit against trump from congressfolk/cops) ...or something like that (so we know who the et al are).

It is up to the original author or of course Foggy to do that. I second the request.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:17 pm
Rolodex wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:20 pm Can we change the name of this thread to Blassingame et al (civil suit against trump from congressfolk/cops) ...or something like that (so we know who the et al are).

It is up to the original author or of course Foggy to do that. I second the request.

How's that?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Oh great. It wasn't bad enough to see 'Ronda" (Ronda Santis) now I have to see Blassingame too. Spelled differently than mine, but that's nothing new.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:24 pm
Reality Check wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:17 pm

How's that?
:thumbsup:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Yay new name! Now let's get this case rolling!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was shocked to see that I started this thread 2½ years ago. And then no posts were added for almost 2 years. Time for Trump to be held accountable!
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:49 pm I was shocked to see that I started this thread 2½ years ago. And then no posts were added for almost 2 years. Time for Trump to be held accountable!
Appears these cases sat in the DC appellate court for almost a year on an interlocutory appeal. The DC District Court and Judge Meta have the cases again. There is a status hearing on Friday 2/23.
NOTICE of Hearing: Status Conference set for 2/23/2024 at 1:30 PM in Courtroom 10 before Judge Amit P. Mehta. Members of the public or media may access this hearing by dialing the court's toll-free public access line: (877) 848-7030, access code 321-8747. (smc)
Here is a link to the docket:
BLASSINGAME v. TRUMP (1:21-cv-00858)

Edit: That is Blassingame v Trump. I also found dockets for the other two cases:
THOMPSON v. TRUMP (1:21-cv-00400) *
SWALWELL v. TRUMP (1:21-cv-00586)

*Note: Even though Rep. Bennie Thompson's name was on Thompson v Trump I believe he withdrew his name from the lawsuit after he was named to chair the January Committee in 2021.

Return to “Civil Suits Arising From the Big Lie”