Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

As the N.R.A. continues to implode...

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
sad-cafe

Re: As the N.R.A. continues to implode...

Post by sad-cafe »

anyone that kills a beautiful elephant can kiss my ass and I hope someone shoots them and cuts off their "tail"

assholes :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Fuck them all.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Get in line - behind the elephants
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I have tried and failed to find one redeeming factor in performing these acts of murder. :mad:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:55 pm I have tried and failed to find one redeeming factor in performing these acts of murder. :mad:
There are none.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:12 pm
Uninformed wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:55 pm I have tried and failed to find one redeeming factor in performing these acts of murder. :mad:
There are none.
Yup.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:14 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:12 pm
There are none.
Yup.
I have always advocated the right to armed bears.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

:yeahthat:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Killing for sport is uniquely nauseating. These people are dead inside.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

RVInit wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 am Killing for sport is uniquely nauseating. These people are dead inside.
Its not sport. Sport implies an honest competition.

You want sport? Go bear hunting with a Bowie knife.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I have no problem hunting for food as long as the animal population is sufficient for that purpose (rabbit, squirrel, deer).

Big game hunting is NOT hunting for food. In fact, I think a bigger challenge would be to actually photograph those animals in their native environments. I'd rather have photos I had taken of big game adorning my walls rather than trophies of a slain animal hanging on a wall. What, exactly, do you do with an elephant's tail? (Rhetorical. I really don't want to know.)
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 am I have no problem hunting for food as long as the animal population is sufficient for that purpose (rabbit, squirrel, deer).

Big game hunting is NOT hunting for food. In fact, I think a bigger challenge would be to actually photograph those animals in their native environments. I'd rather have photos I had taken of big game adorning my walls rather than trophies of a slain animal hanging on a wall. What, exactly, do you do with an elephant's tail? (Rhetorical. I really don't want to know.)

I agree about hunting for food.

I'm an amateur photographer and an animal lover. I've always thought that, if I won the lottery, I would like to go on a photo safari, armed with nothing more than a telephoto lens.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

noblepa wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:47 am
MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 am I have no problem hunting for food as long as the animal population is sufficient for that purpose (rabbit, squirrel, deer).

I'm an amateur photographer and an animal lover. I've always thought that, if I won the lottery, I would like to go on a photo safari, armed with nothing more than a telephoto lens.
And a camera body. :P
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

noblepa wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:47 am

Even though I lived in the northland, I did not hunt nor do I want to shoot a deer (I did get a doe on opening day but that was with my truck). However, I do not have an issue with it and understand it is basically necessary right now in order to keep the population in check due to fewer predators (safety of others and avoid disease). Venison is quite good too. I do heavily dislike those who shoot deer and others just to shoot them. If you are not going to do it for the meat and other purposes, than it is just killing for fun.

It was a bit amusing to watch the reaction of some fudgies (tourists) and other newbies who would be up north the week of November 15. The whole deer pole thing was a bit much for some of them.
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

ABC [AP]: Judge dismisses NRA bankruptcy case in blow to gun group:
A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed the National Rifle Association's bankruptcy case, leaving the powerful gun-rights group to face a New York state lawsuit accusing the NRA of financial abuses and that aims to put it out of business.

The case was over whether the NRA should be allowed to incorporate in Texas instead of New York, where the state is suing in an effort to disband the group. Though headquartered in Virginia, the NRA was chartered as a nonprofit in New York in 1871 and is incorporated in the state.

Judge Harlin Hale said he was dismissing the case because he found the bankruptcy was not filed in good faith.

His decision followed 11 days of testimony and arguments. Lawyers for New York and the NRA's former advertising agency grilled the group's embattled top executive, Wayne LaPierre, who acknowledged putting the NRA into Chapter 11 bankruptcy without the knowledge or assent of most of its board and other top officers.
Image ImageImage
filly

Post by filly »

Good!
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

The judge double dared them to refile it.

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Nice work Judge!

Lift that straight to the headlines.. :)
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I mean, this was about the clearest example of a bad faith bankruptcy petition as one is likely to see. If the judge hadn't dismissed, it would have set a horrible precedent that bankruptcy courts are willing to let themselves become a vehicle for escaping regulatory problems.

Something tells me that Wayne LaPierre would sooner hang himself than put a trustee or a receiver in charge of the NRA.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
somerset

Post by somerset »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:50 pm
Something tells me that Wayne LaPierre would sooner hang himself than put a trustee or a receiver in charge of the NRA.
I could live with that ;)

(NADT)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Why didn't LaPierre just bribe the judge? :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

If the NY AG follows through on her threat to dissolve the NY non-profit corporation that is the NRA, what happens to their assets? They're a non-profit, so they have no stockholders to receive the assets.

Does the state of NY confiscate them?

What would stop LaPierre from starting, say, The American Rifle Association, in Texas? Then, if/when NY dissolves the NRA, could he somehow transfer the NRA's assets to the new group (one non-profit making a donation to another)?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

From the Complaint:

“PRAYER FOR RELIEF
WHEREFORE, the Attorney General requests judgment against the defendants for the following relief:
A. Dissolving the NRA and directing that its remaining assets and any future assets be
applied to charitable uses consistent with the mission set forth in the NRA's certificate of incorporation pursuant to N-PCL §§ 112(a)(1), 112(a)(5), 112(a)(7), 1101(a)(2), 1102(a)(2)(D) and 1109.”

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/s ... aint_1.pdf
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

noblepa wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 am If the NY AG follows through on her threat to dissolve the NY non-profit corporation that is the NRA, what happens to their assets? They're a non-profit, so they have no stockholders to receive the assets.
Another related ponderance.. what happens to the insurance deals? One of the things that make the NRA so powerful and ubiquitous is that it is difficult to run a range without NRA associated insurance policies.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I would like to see them split the NRA Foundation off so they can continue the education and safety programs (they may need to attach a non-charity non-profit org for certain aspects of this). This would basically return part of the organization back to their original focus which was lost when the board was taken over by the gun worship crowd in the 70s.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Current Politics”