Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

As the N.R.A. continues to implode...

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
sugar magnolia

Re: As the N.R.A. continues to implode...

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:59 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:42 am
Azastan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:32 pm Gun ranges which are open to members only almost always have a requirement that members belong to the NRA, too.
I have this problem, best gun range in central GA is 15 miles from me, but I won't give any support to the NRA. I'm stuck using the one sent up by the park service.
One reason why I would like to see the NRA Foundation separated from Wayne's nest egg, the regular NRA. The gun/range safety stuff is, IIRC, run by the foundation as an educational program (hence the charity) and has always been a useful part of the NRA. It needs to be blocked off from the greedy hands of the NRA leadership (officially and legally, it is supposed to anyway, but I have my doubts).
I don't care how walled off they are, I'm not going anywhere near anything still called the NRA. People already don't understand there are different arms of the organization.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A Former NRA President Was Duped Into Giving A Speech For A Fake High School By A Gun Safety Organization

David Keene, the president of the National Rifle Association (NRA) from 2011 to 2013 and current board member, was asked to give the graduation speech at James Madison Academy in Las Vegas, Nevada. “Let me begin by telling you what an honor it is to be here to help celebrate your graduation,” he said to kick off his address in front of thousand of socially distanced chairs. There was no one in the chairs, however.

There’s also no James Madison Academy — Keene, as well as More Guns, Less Crime author John Lott, had been tricked into attending the phony graduation by Change the Ref. The gun safety organization was formed by Manuel and Patricia Oliver, whose son, Joaquin, was one of 17 people killed during the mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in 2018. “Ironically, had the men conducted a proper background check on the school, they would have seen that the school is fake,” a spokesperson said.

“These two guys are part of the problem,” Manuel told BuzzFeed News. “We need to call them out, we need to show everyone. This is how they process the logic behind the gun industry. We need to show we’re brave and we’re not afraid of these guys. We’ve already felt the worst possible situation. There’s no threat that can make me feel different.” Change the Ref’s goal is to “give the young generation of survivors and victims a disrupting voice to help lead the way to change – a more peaceful future.”

After filming, Keene and Lott were told the graduation was canceled and were not informed before the videos were released on Wednesday that the events were fake… Both Keene and Lott traveled to Vegas and were excited to speak, said Oliver, who did not meet either of them to make sure the stunt did not get disrupted by anyone recognizing him.

Keene spoke to 3,044 empty chairs — the same number of students who should have graduated this year but were instead killed by a gun.

You can watch the powerful videos below.
:snippity:
https://uproxx.com/viral/nra-president- ... on-speech/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Damn! :boxing:
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

John Lott, the man of many sock puppets, the man who can't produce any of the alleged research he did or relied on because it somehow all got lost. Fucking liar, hypocrite and general waste of oxygen.
much ado

Post by much ado »

It just goes to show that the Left is smarter than the Right is. :boxing:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

that was a great long game!!!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... phies-home
In the early fall of 2013, an export company in Botswana prepared a shipment of animal parts for Wayne LaPierre, the head of the National Rifle Association, and his wife, Susan. One of the business’s managers e-mailed the couple a list of trophies from their recent hunt and asked them to confirm its accuracy: one cape-buffalo skull, two sheets of elephant skin, two elephant ears, four elephant tusks, and four front elephant feet. Once the inventory was confirmed, the e-mail stated, “we will be able to start the dipping and packing process.” Ten days later, Susan wrote back with a request: the shipment should have no clear links to the LaPierres. She told the shipping company to use the name of an American taxidermist as “the consignee” for the items, and further requested that the company “not use our names anywhere if at all possible.” Susan noted that the couple also expected to receive, along with the elephant trophies, an assortment of skulls and skins from warthogs, impalas, a zebra, and a hyena. Once the animal parts arrived in the States, the taxidermist would turn them into decorations for the couple’s home in Virginia, and prepare the elephant skins so they could be used to make personal accessories, such as handbags.
More at the link. Do read.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's disgusting.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:29 pm That's disgusting.
Yes.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly

Post by filly »

Oh, the irony!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:violin: :crying:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:16 pmOh, the irony!
I went to the NRA twitter post and the replies are all mocking them -- I saw no support. :lol:
filly

Post by filly »

neonzx wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:26 pm
filly wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:16 pmOh, the irony!
I went to the NRA twitter post and the replies are all mocking them -- I saw no support. :lol:
Heh, on the local NBC station in Houston they still allow comments. The cesspool dwellers are overwhelmingly in support of the NRA (and COVID).
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/c ... a-rcna3929
A notorious Russian cybercriminal group has posted what appear to be National Rifle Association files to the dark web.

The group, known as Grief, posted 13 files to its website Wednesday and claimed to have hacked the NRA. It is threatening to release more of the files if not paid, though it did not publicly state how much.

Like many ransomware gangs, Grief often posts a handful files stolen from a victim in an efforts to spur a ransom payment.

While paying any ransomware hacker is a risk, Grief is particularly tricky. Cybersecurity experts widely believe Grief is a rebranded effort by a group of Russian cybercriminals who previously used the nickname Evil Corp, which is currently under sanctions by the U.S. Treasury Department.

"It's the same group," said Allan Liska, a ransomware analyst at the cybersecurity firm Recorded Future.

The NRA didn’t immediately respond when reached for comment. Grief, though a criminal group, isn't known for bluffing when it claims an organization was a victim, said Brett Callow, who tracks ransomware groups at the cybersecurity company Emsisoft.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I am sure it's only space that prevented the NRA being more expansive about its social concerns:
The NRA's top priority is ensuring the health and well-being of our members, staff,
sponsors, and supporters and the people they maim and the families and friends of those they slaughter.
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

The NRA seems strangely silent in the aftermath of the Alec Baldwin tragedy.
bob

Post by bob »

Fortinbras wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:57 pm The NRA seems strangely silent in the aftermath of the Alec Baldwin tragedy.
Because advocating for gun safety is one step away from fascism. :smoking:
Image ImageImage
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

bob wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:05 pm
Fortinbras wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:57 pm The NRA seems strangely silent in the aftermath of the Alec Baldwin tragedy.
Because advocating for gun safety is one step away from fascism. :smoking:
Dammit doncha know I have the right to mix my blanks with my real bullets?
Il factotum
Jim

Post by Jim »

zekeb wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:15 pm Dammit doncha know I have the right to mix my blanks with my real bullets?
Sounds like an episode of Hogan's Heroes...
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am actually a little surprised they have not jumped on the 'make fun of baldwin' bandwagon... though since an attractive white woman was shot they might be nervous about the optics.
bob

Post by bob »

neeneko wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:02 pmI am actually a little surprised they have not jumped on the 'make fun of baldwin' bandwagon... though since an attractive white woman was shot they might be nervous about the optics.
The NRA? Nervous about optics? :confuzzled:

"For completeness": The Onion: NRA Accuses ‘Rust’ Producers Of Endangering Crew By Not Giving Everyone Guns.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

bob wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:16 pm
neeneko wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:02 pmI am actually a little surprised they have not jumped on the 'make fun of baldwin' bandwagon... though since an attractive white woman was shot they might be nervous about the optics.
The NRA? Nervous about optics? :confuzzled:

"For completeness": The Onion: NRA Accuses ‘Rust’ Producers Of Endangering Crew By Not Giving Everyone Guns.
Yeah - where was the "good guy with a gun" :?:

Return to “Current Politics”