Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Republicans behaving badly

jcolvin2
Verified:

Re: Republicans Behaving Badly

Post by jcolvin2 »

The “Kitchen Debate” took place in 1959, when Nixon was Vice President. By the time Nixon became President in 1969, Khrushchev was long gone, having fallen from power in 1964.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:46 pm
Looking back to the 1950's it was a different time. All my mother's women friends wore lipstick when going out even if it were only a casual visit to a neighbor or a quick trip to a store. All my lady teachers wore lipstick, dresses or skirts (never pants) at school. In high school the girls in the choir were required to wear lipstick and heels during performances.
Off Topic
My Mom used to say that all a woman needed was lipstick and a good haircut. My Mom looked like — and I mean exactly like — Lucille Ball. She was stunningly beautiful — bright red hair and heart-shaped lips. She was always dressed to the nines.

She also suffered from chronic depression, and was exceptionally difficult to get along with.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tim Miller
@Timodc
The NRCC’s prechecked recurring donation box makes people disavow Dear Leader Trump to uncheck. https://thebulwark.com/the-nrcc-carries ... tradition/

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

West Virginia

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... te-statues
Bill would protect removing or renaming monuments unless first approved by state’s historic preservation center

Nearly 158-years after its founding West Virginia – a state forged from the fires of America’s civil war – remains stuck between north and south. Now lawmakers are considering a bill that would protect Confederate monuments from removal or renaming. Supporters claim they are protecting everyone’s history. Opponents call the bill “traumatic and mentally exhausting”.

At a moment of national reckoning on race, the debate is fierce. “We were the Union. West Virginia was born out of seceding from Virginia, if i’m not mistaken,” said Delegate Sean Hornbuckle, one of the state’s few Black lawmakers. “We’re advocating for people who wanted to kill us.

The bill being considered by West Virginia’s Republican-controlled legislature would criminalize the removal of Confederate statues unless that removal is first approved by the state’s historic preservation office.
This from a state that broke from Virginia and was formed because of the Civil War. :brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

covfefe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:07 pm
'His face was in your windshield': South Dakota AG faces impeachment charges as new details of fatal crash emerge
The state attorney general, Jason Ravnsborg, has said he thought he hit a deer, but investigators noted the dead man's glasses were found in his car

PIERRE, S.D. — The South Dakota state attorney general who is facing misdemeanor charges for striking and killing a man is facing impeachment charges and calls to resign after disturbing new details about the case were made public.

The A.G., Jason Ravnsborg, initially told police he'd thought he'd struck a deer in the September, 2020 incident and that he didn't discover he'd hit a person until he return the scene of the accident the next day.

In interviews made public by Gov. Kristi Noem on Tuesday, investigators suggested to Ravnsborg that he should have known better, because the dead man's broken glasses were found inside his Ford Taurus.

"His face was in your windshield, Jason, think about that,” one of the investigators told him in the interview.

The Republican attorney general faces three misdemeanor charges but no felonies in the September death of 55-year-old Joseph Boever.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... h-n1258708

I read somewhere that he was on a right wing website on his phone at the time of the accident, so I guess it may be plausible that he didn't know he hit a person? It's a stretch though.

Ummm... doesn’t seem right.
https://www.blackhillsfox.com/2021/04/0 ... ntent=kevn

Drive drunk, kill a pedestrian, get a promotion.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 24564.html
Kansas Senate Majority Leader Gene Suellentrop had a blood alcohol level over twice the legal limit after his arrest, according to court documents released Thursday that allege he refused a Breathalyzer test and told an officer he could “take” him in a fight.

Suellentrop faces a felony charge of fleeing and eluding law enforcement and multiple misdemeanors related to an alleged early morning wrong-way chase on Topeka highways last month. The Wichita Republican has been mostly silent about the allegations against him.

But court documents released to The Star and other outlets reveal new details, including allegations that Suellentrop failed to respond to an officer’s repeated commands to turn off his vehicle once he finally stopped. The documents say his blood alcohol level was 0.17. The legal limit is 0.08.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SlimSloSlider

Re: Republicans behaving badly

Post by SlimSloSlider »

Drunk driving at 90+ mph the wrong way, taunting the cops?
Yep, I guess this counts as good ole boys behaving badly

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -way-chase
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Where are his lips?
He looks like he’d be a mean drunk,
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

A Georgia congressman who was fined for refusing to walk through metal detectors to enter the House floor said Monday he is preparing to challenge the penalties in court.

The announcement from Rep. Andrew Clyde (R-Ga.) comes after his appeal was denied by the House Ethics Committee, which he says gives him legal standing to move forward. The congressman said he believes the metal detector stations are unconstitutional.

“While my team and I continue to await an announcement of a fine levied on the Speaker, we are preparing for the next stage of this fight. I will take my case to federal court where I am confident justice will be served,” Clyde said in a statement.

As part of the sweeping changes enacted by House Speaker Nancy Pelsoi (D-Calif.) in the aftermath of the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol building, members can be subjected to heafty fines — $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for additional infractions — for avoiding the metal detectors. The fines are deducted automatically from lawmakers' paychecks.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

For reference Clyde reps GA-9, which is Northeast GA [where the movie Deliverance was set and shot], his next door neighbor is GA-14, Greene's district.

In other words, if you happen to find yourself in GA north of ATL, and your car breaks down...

Abandon it, and run for the nearest state line...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Doesn't there actually have to be some part of the constitution that a rule or law violates for it to become a constitutional issue? Which part does he think applies?
somerset

Post by somerset »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:40 pm Doesn't there actually have to be some part of the constitution that a rule or law violates for it to become a constitutional issue? Which part does he think applies?
I'm guessing the second amendment.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

somerset wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:24 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:40 pm Doesn't there actually have to be some part of the constitution that a rule or law violates for it to become a constitutional issue? Which part does he think applies?
I'm guessing the second amendment.
I don't think the second amendment applies to workplace rules though, does it? Or would that not be considered a workplace? If citizens can't bring in weapons (they can't, can they?) why should employees be able to?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I think it violates the clause in the Constitution that says that Nancy Pelosi is not the boss of him. Like many sovcits, his definition of unconstitutional is "I don't wanna do it".

Also, too, the Constitution very specifically states that the House and Senate may each make their own procedural rules.

I suspect that a court will toss it on those grounds.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:56 pm I think it violates the clause in the Constitution that says that Nancy Pelosi is not the boss of him. Like many sovcits, his definition of unconstitutional is "I don't wanna do it".
To be unconstitutional also requires a litmus test. If it is something that would bore the rubes, it's just an annoyance. If you can grift from it, it's unconstitutional.
101010 :towel:
somerset

Post by somerset »

northland10 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:24 am
noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:56 pm I think it violates the clause in the Constitution that says that Nancy Pelosi is not the boss of him. Like many sovcits, his definition of unconstitutional is "I don't wanna do it".
To be unconstitutional also requires a litmus test. If it is something that would bore the rubes, it's just an annoyance. If you can grift from it, it's unconstitutional.
Which begs the question, what is the pH of the constitution? ;)
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

somerset wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:40 pm
Depends on the litmus paper it's written on. I prefer a pH of 6.0. That's at about the same level as my skin.
Il factotum
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

somerset wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:40 pm
Apparently, somewhere around 7ish (neutral) for historical parchment. Modern parchment still hangs around that median but with more variation.

Glad I could help.* :mrgreen:

A COMPLEX ANALYTICAL METHOD FOR PARCHMENT CHARACTERIZATION

* Basic chemistry is a long time ago. I may be completely and absolutely clueless and wrong. YMMV.
101010 :towel:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Human skin has a pH around 5.5 - 6.0. These whack jobs strike me as being quite caustic. I'd peg their skin as being somewhere around 13.0.
Il factotum
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fact check: How a group of right-wingers spread a lie that Black Lives Matter stormed Iowa's Capitol

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/13/politics ... index.html
It wasn't. Not even close. Because the Iowa protesters didn't storm the state Capitol.

Facts First: Unlike the people who stormed the US Capitol on January 6, the Iowa protesters walked lawfully through security -- getting their belongings scanned and their temperatures checked. The Iowa protesters even had a permit to protest in the building. The building is open to the public anyway. And the protesters did not disrupt legislative proceedings once they were inside.

The saga of the imaginary Iowa Capitol-storming offers another troubling example of how even unsophisticated lies can hurtle around the web faster than the truth. It also shows, once more, how the right-wing disinformation ecosystem often operates: A false initial claim gets shared over and over, reaching an ever bigger audience, by people and publications uninterested in doing even basic research to see if that initial claim is true.

Joan Donovan, research director at Harvard University's Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, said that "there are certain right-wing influencers that act as a catalyst for a cascade of inaccurate claims." These influencers, she said, will tweet an image or video with a false description attached, inaccurately shaping perceptions of a breaking news event. Other influencers aligned with them will then "repeat the lie across blogs and social media," Donovan said in an email.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reckoning looms for Florida G.O.P.
A tangled web of Republican officials, lobbyists, and private LLC's connect to embattled former tax collector Joel Greenberg. It spells trouble for some in the state's G.O.P

https://robertjdenault.substack.com/p/r ... lorida-gop
Sources close to Greenberg’s case have indicated for several months that there are broader financial and political crimes which may implicate many of Greenberg’s political associates and other Republicans down in Florida. As federal authorities inch closer to a wide range of financial corruption that appears to have taken place during Greenberg’s tenure and Greenberg himself considers cooperating, these sources say he has knowledge of evidence which could implicate no less than half a dozen—and perhaps more—G.O.P. power brokers and operatives across the state.

Specifically, this writer can confirm previously unreported information about a government contract between the Seminole County Tax Collector’s office while Greenberg ran it and limited liability company called “MAGA Advisory Group Associates, LLC” for inexplicable monthly payments. Sources also tell this writer that questions about the 2020 candidacy of a curious third party candidate for Seminole County Tax Collector, who ran using a name similar to the Democratic nominee that year without raising or spending any campaign money, are under scrutiny by local authorities. The candidate withdrew from the race on the same day Greenberg did—just days after it was revealed federal prosecutors had indicted the former tax collector. This writer can reveal that a local elections officer has filed a complaint about the candidate with Florida elections officials, and that sources close to the investigation believe the candidate may have been illegally funded by Greenberg or his associates.

In some cases, resignations have signaled the seriousness of the situation for Florida Republicans. Early January saw Halsey Beshears, the Florida Secretary of Business and Professional Development and a Governor Ron DeSantis appointee, resign ostensibly for “personal health reasons.” But just days ago, the Tallahassee Democrat reported Beshears was on the now-infamous plane trip to the Bahamas with Rep. Matt Gaetz and surgeon/marijuana entrepreneur Jason Pirozzolo—a trip now under investigation by federal law enforcement. Pirozzolo himself took sudden leave from his medical office on Saturday morning, suspending his practice until further notice due to a “family emergency.” Another Greenberg-affiliated resignation arrived just hours earlier last Friday night: Florida lobbyist and Greenberg ally Chris Dorworth, whom the New York Times reported was involved in a conversation with Gaetz about planting another third party candidate to siphon votes from a Democrat in a Florida state Senate race, left his longtime lobbying firm, Ballard Partners. The discussion between Gaetz and Dorworth is also reportedly under scrutiny by federal investigators.

And just this afternoon, the Orlando Sentinel published detailed reporting on a number of contracts doled out to GOP officials by Greenberg using taxpayer money. They include payments to Matt Morgan, a GOP candidate for Seminole County Commissioner; Megan Zalonka, a person who reportedly worked for Pirozzolo and was also subpoenaed by prosecutors as far back as last August, according to a neighbor; and Eric Foglesong, a consultant who allegedly provided support to an third-party candidate who filed to run in a state Senate election, but then never raised or spent any money.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Pompeos violated rules on use of State Department resources, IG finds
From booking salon appointments to buying gold nut bowls, Mike Pompeo and his wife, Susan, asked State employees to carry out personal tasks more than 100 times.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/1 ... nds-482500
By digging through emails and other documents and interviewing staff members, investigators uncovered scores of instances in which Mike or Susan Pompeo asked State Department staffers to handle tasks of a personal nature, from booking salon appointments and private dinner reservations to picking up their dog and arranging tours for the Pompeos’ political allies. Employees told investigators that they viewed the requests from Susan Pompeo, who was not on the federal payroll, as being backed by the secretary.

Mike Pompeo, in an interview with investigators, insisted that the requests were often small and the types of things friends do for friends. His lawyer, William Burck, slammed a draft version of the report he received as a politically biased “compilation of picayune complaints cherry-picked by the drafters.”

The inspector general’s office, however, defended the investigation, noting that many of the rules governing such interactions are clear, do not make exceptions for small tasks, and that the Pompeos’ requests ultimately added up to use a significant amount of the time of employees paid by taxpayers.
The report-

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000178 ... bd8ebc0000
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

pompeo is a pompous asshole

I know this from personal experience
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

When he was sporting a pompadour?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Matthew Miller
@matthewamiller
Is there a politician in America whose ambition more outstrips his talent than Mike Pompeo? Takes an incredible amount of arrogance to think you can get away with running the State Department like a two bit House office.
8:36 AM · Apr 17, 2021

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”