Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Re: Ron DeSantis

Post by Flatpoint High »

Suranis wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 pm "Hitler" is thrown around too much. There's plenty of other despots from history to use as examples. DeSantis's rise is nothing like Hitlers rise, and that just dilutes the name.
which is why I'm calling him Pol Pot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot
[T]he genocide, coupled with malnutrition and poor medical care, killed between 1.5 and 2 million people, approximately a quarter of Cambodia's population
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:43 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 pm "Hitler" is thrown around too much. There's plenty of other despots from history to use as examples. DeSantis's rise is nothing like Hitlers rise, and that just dilutes the name.
which is why I'm calling him Pol Pot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot
[T]he genocide, coupled with malnutrition and poor medical care, killed between 1.5 and 2 million people, approximately a quarter of Cambodia's population
Medical care was something intellectual, i guess matching todays anti-science movement.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I admit I know jack shit about Pol Pot, but I think it was pretty just another way to cause people to die. Or just not spend money and who gives a fuck about the people.
Hic sunt dracones
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Suranis wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:37 pm I admit I know jack shit about Pol Pot, but I think it was pretty just another way to cause people to die. Or just not spend money and who gives a fuck about the people.
Worth reading up on. Pol Pot is.. and interesting and extreme case of someone putting a 'return to the old ways' ideology into horrible horrible practice.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Florida’s year zero
(Along with the other states that are anti science)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

This was a thing on Twitter all day (the call by the press sec, Pushaw, to drag the reporter). Pushaw is an MTG-level attack dog.

AP published a litter to DeSantis to call off the dogs.

Now this:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Okay. So I posted last week that the Florida Department of Health* neglects to mention the word "mask" on it's COVID Prevention page (or anywhere else I could find).

And now this. They give today's weekly COVID report, and state that 68% of Floridians are vaccinated.

Excuse me? This is grossly misleading. First they conflate "vaccinated" (which means, in English, "fully vaccinated") with "received first shot" Because at best, this clearly refers to "first shot." So, should the discerning reader posit that the 68% means "68% first dose?" No, they should not. In fact, the CDC and all other sources show Florida with a 63% first dose (and only 47% fully vaccinated). So are we to conclude that this 68% refers to adults 18 and over with a first shot? Or perhaps 12 and over with a first shot? Presumably they are hoping the chart, which only references those over 12, clarifies this point. It does not. I made a living creating and editing graphs and charts for various scientific fields for 30 years, and this would not pass muster in any peer-reviewed journal on the planet. "Total vaccinated 68%" implies "Percentage of all Floridians fully vaccinated." Period.

Appalling that an institution of science would okay this garbage cheat, obviously aimed at making the state's vaccination numbers look better to benefit their death-cult governor is chilling.

This has been a pattern with Florida since day one. Present the data so that it looks better than it is to the casual eye. Infuriating, and coming from what should be a scientific body, not a propaganda arm, a dereliction of duty.
FDH REport Aug 27.jpg
FDH REport Aug 27.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Well, the ones who tried to tell the truth got fired, got the Flying Monkeys on Meth sicced on them and the one lady woke up one morning to armed deputies rading her house with toddlers in it like they were taking down a terrorist safe house.

I say we saw Florida off from Georgia and see if we can get it to float to Haiti.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Haiti has enough problems
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

We despise Ron. He's a liar and the worst of the disgraced loser -- same disgusting attitude but smart enough to know how to fu*k up the system.

Would like to think this is true but there are so many idiots here. On the other hand, many of them are dying.

Florida starts turning on DeSantis
By MATT DIXON 08/27/2021 04:10 PM EDT

TALLAHASSEE — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has been untouchable for the past year as he commanded the Republican culture wars to become heir apparent to Donald Trump. The latest coronavirus surge is starting to change that.

Covid infection rates continue to climb as the state faces shortages of health care staff, morgue space and even oxygen for patients. About 16,000 people are hospitalized. Child infection rates have shot up. School districts — even in Republican strongholds — have rebelled against DeSantis’ anti-mask mandates. And cruise lines are resisting DeSantis’ vaccine passport ban. Even his recent poll numbers are slipping.
https://www.politico.com/states/florida ... da-1390539

Our position now is #NoMoreCOVIDExcuses. These folks have had months to get vaccinated. Even Canadians are over them. Milo posted this on Telegram.

Canada Milo.JPG
Canada Milo.JPG (135.83 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Oh, barf. I just saw my first DeSantis 2024 flag.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:10 pm Oh, barf. I just saw my first DeSantis 2024 flag.
Fortunately, I will be in London until mid-'23 and not return to South Florida until then, so I have time to brace myself for this. I am hoping none of my family support him, because it will make for a lousy 4-6 week home leave if so.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

My mother has been a pretty solid Republican voter for as long as I am aware, but the former guy broke something loose in her. She's energized to vote for whoever runs against DeSantis, regardless of how far left that person may be. I think DeSantis underestimated the backlash against his school masking policies. Retired folks are a huge part of the Republican base in Florida. All those retired folks may not have kids in school, but they do have grandkids. And they do notice what is happening here.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

I can't decide if DeSantis is a dumb as I think he is or just an opportunistic ideologue, although I am leaning towards the former considering who he is taking advice from. Either way he is despicable.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Why can't he be both? I believe folks should use all their capacities.
101010 :towel:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

RVInit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:11 am My mother has been a pretty solid Republican voter for as long as I am aware, but the former guy broke something loose in her. She's energized to vote for whoever runs against DeSantis, regardless of how far left that person may be. I think DeSantis underestimated the backlash against his school masking policies. Retired folks are a huge part of the Republican base in Florida. All those retired folks may not have kids in school, but they do have grandkids. And they do notice what is happening here.
Republicans ran into the same problem with repealing Obamacare and older people. The GOP thought, as long as they assured those 65 and up that their Medicare would be safe when they repealed the ACA, the older population wouldn't care that their kids and grandkids were about to lose their insurance.

Narrator: They cared.

Sadly, they also forget.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

northland10 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:52 am Why can't he be both? I believe folks should use all their capacities.
:lol:

I go for ruthless opportunist though.
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

northland10 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:52 am Why can't he be both? I believe folks should use all their capacities.
Actually, considering my current mood, I'll go with that and a whole lot more. My current opinion of DeSantis does not go in polite company.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

DeSantis is withholding money from 2 school districts. He doesn't care about last week's ruling.
Florida is escalating the battle over masks in schools by taking aim at administrators, with the state's Department of Education on Monday saying it is withholding pay for school board members in two districts that are requiring facial coverings.

The move comes after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis suffered a court loss over his executive order that bans mask requirements in schools. In his ruling on Friday, Leon County Circuit Judge John C. Cooper agreed with a group of parents who claimed in a lawsuit that DeSantis' order is unconstitutional and cannot be enforced.

On Monday, however, Florida Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran said in a statement that the agency was withholding the monthly salaries of school board members in Alachua and Broward County, home to Gainesville and Fort Lauderdale, respectively, over their mask mandates.
Corcoran framed the issue as one of parental rights, even as Florida's COVID-19 cases reach a pandemic peak of more than 20,000 cases per day.

In the last two weeks, more than 400 students and 50 teachers in the Alachua School District have tested positive for COVID-19, data show. More than 350 students and teachers in Broward County have tested positive, while 4,000 students are in quarantine, according to CBS Miami.
:snippity:

"Perhaps Commissioner Corcoran should reread the Florida Constitution because I swore an oath to 'provide a safe, secure and high-quality system of free public schools,'" Broward County school board member Sarah Leonardi wrote on Twitter.

Broward School Board Chair Dr. Rosalind Osgood told CBS Miami the district is mandating masks because some schools are over capacity with enrollment, which makes it difficult for students to maintain social distancing between themselves.
:snippity:
Why just 2 counties but not the other 10 counties mandating masks in schools?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

LM K wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:13 pm :snippity:

Why just 2 counties but not the other 10 counties mandating masks in schools?
Other than just being a raging asshole, might be because Broward went 64% for Biden and the D-20 went 80% Dem for US Rep. Alachua 62% Biden and Dem US Rep.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I think we have a winner. Our county mandated masks last night, but it's red.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The Recount
@therecount
Gov. Ron DeSantis: “I don’t want a biomedical security state … It’s about your health and whether you want that protection or not, it really doesn’t impact me or anyone else.”

(A deadly and contagious virus does, in fact, impact DeSantis and *everyone* else.)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:39 pm https:// twitter.com/therecount/status/1433817250788696068
The Recount @therecount
Sep 3, 2021
Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) on $5,000 fines for businesses requesting proof of vaccination:

“You actually are saying, me with a J&J shot can go in, but someone who’s recovered from COVID … they can’t go in? I’m sorry, that is anti-science.”
The Recount @therecount
Gov. Ron DeSantis: “I don’t want a biomedical security state … It’s about your health and whether you want that protection or not, it really doesn’t impact me or anyone else.”

(A deadly and contagious virus does, in fact, impact DeSantis and *everyone* else.)

5:40 PM · Sep 3, 2021
We understand that this guy is anti-science. Cause science is telling us that the protection received thru a the infection is not guaranteed to last but peters out over time. A booster shot recorded in the covid pass will make people feel more secure. And how ought anyone believe a person that they went thru the covid illness and have the antibodies, just take their word? Believe me?

ETA. this is when you get the full dosis of vaccines
"If you were vaccinated six months ago, your immune system has been training for six months — you are better ready to fight a COVID-19 infection," says Ellebedy.

A series of new studies, including two led by Ellebedy, suggests that mRNA vaccines like those from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna trigger the immune system to establish long-term protection against severe COVID-19 — protection that likely will last several years or even longer, Ellebedy says.

in https:// www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/ ... youd-think
ETA. When you have been ill w/o taking vaccines
How long does immunity last after having COVID?
Updated: Aug. 28, 2021, 9:17 p.m. | Published: Aug. 28, 2021, 7:30 a.m.
Coronavirus cells
After catching the virus, most people who had COVID-19 have detectable antibodies. But experts say the protection they get after having the virus is still less than when people get vaccinated.(NIAID/TNS) TNSTNS

By Katherine Rodriguez | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
After testing positive for COVID-19, most people then have detectable antibodies. But experts say the protection they get after having the virus is still less than when people get vaccinated.

Here is a breakdown of how this works, especially as the Delta variant of COVID-19 spreads throughout the nation.

Does a COVID infection make you immune from further infections?
An infection creates an immune response and recognizes the coronavirus. Antibodies are also produced.

A previous infection offers about 80% protection from the coronavirus, while those who received both doses of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines have about 95% protection against the viruses, Dr. John Wherry told WHYY. Wherry is the director of the Institute for Immunology at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.

Wherry also said, according to WHYY, lab studies suggest protection following a case of COVID-19 begins to wane slightly after about three months, but can last for as long as up to 10 months.

So while protection is good for those who already caught COVID-19 in some form or another, it is not as strong as the vaccines.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/08/ ... covid.html

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”