Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus One Year, And More, Later

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus One Year Later

Post by Flatpoint High »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:27 am The best thing about a vaccination passport: You won't have to fly with all those obnoxious MAGA anti-vaxxers!
YEAH, BUT 'PAPERS PLEASE'
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Flatpoint High wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:04 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:27 am The best thing about a vaccination passport: You won't have to fly with all those obnoxious MAGA anti-vaxxers!
Yeah, but you already have to show that passport.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:08 pm
I haven't flown in years, but don't you have to show some form of ID just to get on the plane?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:24 pm

I haven't flown in years, but don't you have to show some form of ID just to get on the plane?
You can't get past security without it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

yeah, and soon it will be REAL-ID's
castigat ridendo mores.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Flatpoint High wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Minnesota's standard driver's license is not a real-ID yet but you can request one if you bring all the required documentation. I was thinking of getting one, and of getting an updated passport (I got my current one in 1994 and haven't used it since), when the pandemic hit.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If I'm flying, I'm almost certainly flying out of the country, so I have to use the passport, anyway. (If it's this country, it's almost certainly Amtrak; a driver's license will do for that.)

And I'd say one year later, there's no international travel to speak of. I wouldn't be surprised if that's not happening on any real scale until 2022.
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:06 am
My friend's dad in CT, 87 years old, died yesterday of covid. They have been trying for weeks to get his dad, and his mother, a vaccine with no luck. They both wound up in the hospital with it, and even though they both had it, and were both in the same hospital, his mom was not allowed in the room with his dad, who died with no one but a nurse by his side. Maybe they should worry about getting people vaccinated before reopening everything.
I just saw this - it breaks my heart, so damn sad.
The incompetency that has accompanied this pandemic is unforgiveable.
Trump is the biggest murderer of Americans ever.
It makes me so angry.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

SlimSloSlider wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:36 pm
My friend's dad in CT, 87 years old, died yesterday of covid. They have been trying for weeks to get his dad, and his mother, a vaccine with no luck. They both wound up in the hospital with it, and even though they both had it, and were both in the same hospital, his mom was not allowed in the room with his dad, who died with no one but a nurse by his side. Maybe they should worry about getting people vaccinated before reopening everything.
I just saw this - it breaks my heart, so damn sad.
The incompetency that has accompanied this pandemic is unforgiveable.
Trump is the biggest murderer of Americans ever.
It makes me so angry.
:( :( :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

A collegue's parents died side by side in a NYC hospital last year. He caught it first, and quickly required intubation. She caught it a bit later, but did not require the same extraordinary measures. The staff kept them apart at first, but when it became obvious he would succumb, they brought her into his room. She passed away a few days after he did. Though they both have been properly interred, the family has not been able to hold more than a Zoom gathering to mourn them.

We will all know somebody who died from this.
optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

We will all know somebody who died from this.
So very true.
Lani

Post by Lani »

US could have averted 40% of Covid deaths, says panel examining Trump's policies
The country began the pandemic with a degraded public health infrastructure, leading to more deaths than other high-income countries
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... lth-policy
In a wide-ranging assessment published on Thursday, the [Lancet] commission said Trump “brought misfortune to the USA and the planet” during his four years in office. The stinging critique not only blamed Trump, but also tied his actions to the historical conditions which made his presidency possible.
:snippity:
In another comparison, the commission found if US life expectancy was equivalent to the average in the other G7 countries, 461,000 fewer Americans would have died in 2018.
Trump’s response to documented health inequities and growing inequality was to attack programs and policies intended to make health insurance more affordable and accessible. In Trump’s first three years in office, there were 2.3 million more people without health insurance.
The commission said evidence is growing that Trump’s regulatory rollbacks have increased death and disease. Between 2016 and 2019, the annual number of deaths from environmental and occupational factors increased by more than 22,000 after years of steady decline.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:06 pm
Flatpoint High wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Minnesota's standard driver's license is not a real-ID yet but you can request one if you bring all the required documentation. I was thinking of getting one, and of getting an updated passport (I got my current one in 1994 and haven't used it since), when the pandemic hit.
I'm getting one as soon as the DMV's reopen here
castigat ridendo mores.
Lani

Post by Lani »

For some reason, several years ago Hawaii wanted the real ID info when driving licenses were renewed. It was a hassle. I had to get my birth certificate with embossed seal in WDC. It would take a couple of months if ordered on line. People who wait in line all day are first served. I found a company that provided a live person to go and stand in line to get the certificates. (I think they could get 5 certs at a time, then go to the end of the line for the next batch.) I had to get a divorce decree from the 70's, which didn't include resuming my birth name. So I went to court in the late 70's to fix that. The Arlington court was setting up a new system for old records. I reached a real human on the phone and learned that the files were boxed up. Nice clerk! She locate my court orders in a box that was about to get transferred to the new location. So that was good! Also slow. Took about 2 months and a few hundred dollars.

I just renewed my driver license. FORTUNATELY, the bureau had all my docs from my last renewal (as they promised). Hope the process is smoother for you!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

This is gonna be a problem

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/study-co ... 3a1d04a8d4
The possibility of coronavirus reinfection has been a concern since the first reports of people getting sick again began popping up in 2020 ― while many around the globe were still in isolation. But there has been relatively little data up until this point on how widespread a phenomenon this is.

The first large-scale investigation to tackle that question was published in The Lancet this week, and it found that the vast majority of people who have had COVID-19 are indeed protected from catching it again — for at least six months. However, people ages 65 and older are far more likely than younger individuals to experience repeat infection.

The researchers analyzed data from Denmark’s national COVID-19 testing program, which has offered free PCR testing to roughly 4 million people living in the country. Overall, they found that a very small percentage of the population — 0.65% — experienced reinfection.

For those 65 and under, getting the coronavirus once provided roughly 80% protection against reinfection. But for people 65 and older, it provided only about 47% protection against getting COVID-19 again, further highlighting how dangerous this disease can be for older adults.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

More reasons than ever for me to believe the vaccine and modified versions will be needed annually.
Il factotum
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-indi ... 59024.html
A new "double mutant" variant of the coronavirus has been detected from samples collected in India.

Officials are checking if the variant, where two mutations come together in the same virus, may be more infectious or less affected by vaccines.

Some 10,787 samples from 18 Indian states also showed up 771 cases of known variants - 736 of the UK, 34 of the South African and one Brazilian.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2BH1DK
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States squandered both money and lives in its response to the coronavirus pandemic, and it could have avoided nearly 400,000 deaths with a more effective health strategy and trimmed federal spending by hundreds of billions of dollars while still supporting those who needed it.

That is the conclusion of a group of research papers released at a Brookings Institution conference this week, offering an early and broad start to what will likely be an intense effort in coming years to assess the response to the worst pandemic in a century.

U.S. COVID-19 fatalities could have stayed under 300,000, versus a death toll of 540,000 and rising, if by last May the country had adopted widespread mask, social distancing, and testing protocols while awaiting a vaccine, estimated Andrew Atkeson, economics professor at University of California, Los Angeles.

He likened the state-by-state, patchwork response to a car’s cruise control. As the virus worsened people hunkered down, but when the situation improved restrictions were dropped and people were less careful, with the result that “the equilibrium level of daily deaths ... remains in a relatively narrow band” until the vaccine arrived
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

That all lies squarely on dotard's back.

He could have said wear a mask and all his idiots would have.

HE made it political.

He created the division. I hope he dies a slow painful death destitute and alone
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/12 ... irus-cases
A monoclonal antibody cocktail developed by the drug maker Regeneron offered strong protection against Covid-19 when given to people living with someone infected with the coronavirus, according to clinical trial results announced on Monday. The drug, if authorized, could offer another line of defense against the disease for people who are not protected by vaccination.

The findings are the latest evidence that such lab-made drugs not only prevent the worst outcomes of the disease when given early enough, but also help prevent people from getting sick in the first place.

Using the cumbersome drugs preventively on a large scale won’t be necessary: Vaccines are sufficient for the vast majority of people and are increasingly available.

Still, antibody drugs like Regeneron’s could give doctors a new way to protect high-risk people who haven’t been inoculated or who may not respond well to vaccination, such as those taking drugs that weaken their immune system. That could be an important tool as rising coronavirus cases and dangerous virus variants threaten to outpace vaccinations.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I have a sister who is immune compromised at the moment and I just sent her links to these articles from the U.S. Health and Human Services Department. Basically, monoclonal antibody infusions can be very effective if you develop Covid, but you may have to request that your doctor prescribe that. The HHS article -

Available Covid-19 Treatment Options

Monoclonal Antibodies for High-Risk Covid-19 Positive Patients

There are links in the second article to a map which shows available infusion sites.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I can't remember who, but months ago I heard doctors on TV telling people that if they got sick with Covid-19, the first thing they should do is get a prescription from their doctor for the treatment. That was an important piece of information when I heard it because I had not yet been vaccinated (Moderna, 2/10, and 3/10), so it was pretty early in the year.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

After more than a year of wearing stretchy pants and hoodies on repeat, the prospect of putting on a dress — much less a formal gown — seemed very far away to Sarah Studley.

But when it came time for her long-awaited coronavirus vaccine appointment, the Baltimore woman decided that the momentous occasion was worthy of a momentous outfit. So she slipped into her unused wedding reception dress.

“I hadn’t gotten gussied up in the past year, so I wanted to take this moment to celebrate for myself,” Studley, 39, said.

She entered the M&T Bank Stadium mass vaccination site in Baltimore on Sunday wearing her retro, white, A-line satin dress with polka-dot tulle. She paired it with peep-toe pumps.

It’s the outfit she would have worn to her wedding reception, she said, had it not been canceled because of the pandemic.

Good for her!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Brava!!!!! :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”