Coronavirus One Year, And More, Later

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus One Year Later

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... tudy-finds
The largest ever international study of people with long Covid has identified more than 200 symptoms and prompted researchers to call for a national screening programme.

The study found the myriad symptoms of long Covid – from brain fog and hallucinations to tremors and tinnitus – spanned 10 of the body’s organ systems, and a third of the symptoms continued to affect patients for at least six months.

A national screening programme would help produce a better understanding of how many people are affected and the kind of support they would need, the researchers said.

The researchers also called for the clinical guidelines for assessing patients with suspected long Covid to be widened beyond cardiovascular and lung-function tests.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

State DOH just announced 166 new coronavirus cases. We haven't see those numbers since January 2021.

We have fully vaccinated residents returning from Las Vegas, then becoming ill with Delta in a couple of days. So far, they aren't seriously ill, but the variant is spreading across the state. The state is now (more) openfor travel - no testing for people with a confirmed vaccine card, only pretesting for people without the vaccine card.

The number of people inside a business/restaurant/whatever is still limited and masks are required. Some people (especially tourists) are very unhappy about that, while some of us keep saying LOOK AT THE GODDAM NUMBERS! PUT ON THE DAMN MASK!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

COVID-19: Mask, vaccine mandates rise along with delta variant

https://www.kswo.com/2021/07/16/covid-1 ... ntent=kswo
The pandemic is nowhere near finished. That’s the latest from the World Health Organization, as the delta variant continues to spread.

In the U.S., it’s been reported in every state.

Some mask mandates are back in effect because of it, and vaccine mandates are becoming more common, too.

:snippity:

New cases are on the rise in all but one state.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We are pretty good here, but I get a notification every day from the county, and I can see that the numbers are slowly ticking upward.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
The Big #KindnessDuck Party at Trinity River has been rescheduled to October because of increased COVID-19 cases.
Things definitely moving in the wrong direction. :(
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rand Paul is a big fat liar. Fauci isn't afraid to say so.
► Show Spoiler
In other news, Republican Senator and MD Roger Marshall has figured out the vaccine hesitancy problem...

:rotflmao:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Things are beginning to feel a lot like March 2020. :?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

covfefe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:35 pm Rand Paul is a big fat liar. Fauci isn't afraid to say so.

That good people...is a verbal pimp smack... :dance:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Somebody's still crying after the verbal pimp slap he got by a real doctor...

I'll give ya three guesses to whom it is, and the first two don't count...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:08 pm Costco has resumed handing out samples and has re-opened their food court seating area. Effective Monday, July 26, they go back to their regular hours. I had kind of liked their being open at 9am on weekdays for those 60+, but, oh well.
With the Delphi variant causing issues, Costco has updated their policy. Effective Monday, July 26, they will go back to their regular hours on Mon, Wed, and Fri. However, they will continue to be open from 9am-10am on Tuesdays and Thursdays for "members ages 60 and older, and for those with disabilities or who are immunocompromised."
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:29 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:08 pm Costco has resumed handing out samples and has re-opened their food court seating area. Effective Monday, July 26, they go back to their regular hours. I had kind of liked their being open at 9am on weekdays for those 60+, but, oh well.
With the Delta variant causing issues, Costco has updated their policy. Effective Monday, July 26, they will go back to their regular hours on Mon, Wed, and Fri. However, they will continue to be open from 9am-10am on Tuesdays and Thursdays for "members ages 60 and older, and for those with disabilities or who are immunocompromised."
raison de arizona

4F26DEE7-1F80-4418-9C23-19B933DD5F6A.jpeg
4F26DEE7-1F80-4418-9C23-19B933DD5F6A.jpeg (274.4 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
The decline, which is the largest seen in a single year since World War II, reflects the pandemic’s sustained toll on Americans, particularly the disproportionate impact of covid-19 on communities of color. Black Americans lost 2.9 years of life expectancy while Latinos, who have longer life expectancy than non-Hispanic Blacks or Whites, saw a drop of three years. There was a decrease of 1.2 years among White people.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ncy-covid/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://gizmodo.com/rand-paul-says-hell ... 1847333856
U.S. Senator Rand Paul will make a criminal referral to the U.S. Department of Justice against Dr. Anthony Fauci, the head of the infectious diseases department at NIH. Paul’s threat was first announced on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show on Tuesday night and came after Fauci pushed back against the senator’s aggressive questioning during a senate committee hearing in Washington D.C.

“I will be sending a letter to the Department of Justice asking for a criminal referral because he has lied to Congress,” Senator Paul told Sean Hannity.

Paul, a senator from Kentucky, alleges that U.S. funding of research on infectious diseases in Wuhan, China at the Wuhan Institute of Virology may have played a role in the covid-19 pandemic that’s ravaged the world over the past year and a half, sickening at least 191 million people and killing over 4.11 million.

Senator Paul says he’s worried that so-called “gain-of-function research” was conducted in Wuhan that may have led to the novel coronavirus being developed artificially and released into the world, intentionally or not. Gain-of-function research is when an organism is genetically modified to have a new ability, such as agricultural crops being more resistant to pests.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://genderequalitycovid19recovery.com/
Elevating Gender Equality in COVID-19 Economic Recovery
An evidence synthesis and call for policy action
By FP Analytics, the independent research division of Foreign Policy Magazine

The socioeconomic fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic has derailed progress toward gender equality globally. Studies from around the world reveal that women and girls are increasingly more likely to face poverty, economic insecurity, gender-based violence, and barriers to accessing critical health services. They are also disproportionately bearing the burden of increases in unpaid care and domestic labor due to a global contraction of the care sector. In the past, health crises and economic shocks have widely exacerbated gender inequities, and these setbacks have persisted largely because of recovery plans that ignore the differential needs that women face. As these gender-blind policies and interventions continue to fail women, so too do they impede greater economic recovery and growth.

A sustainable, equitable, and just recovery from COVID-19 requires purposeful policy action to mitigate the worsening of structural inequalities and to address their root causes. This report synthesizes existing evidence of how women have been impacted by the pandemic, how governments have responded to date, and what is at stake if policymakers fail to enact more inclusive recovery measures. It also provides recommendations for rights-based policies, interventions, and investments underpinned by rigorous gender analysis. Finally, this report recognizes that “the women and girls who are furthest behind often experience multiple inequalities and intersecting forms of discrimination, including based on their sex, age, class, ability, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and migration status” and calls for an intersectional and nuanced approach to evidence-based policymaking that benefits everyone.

1. The Socioeconomic Impacts of COVID-19
1.1 Women and Work

As the COVID-19 pandemic devastates economies and disrupts labor markets globally, women have dropped out of the workforce at a greater rate than men. The International Labour Organization (ILO) reported that at the global level, employment loss for women in 2020 was 5 percent, compared to 3.9 percent for men.

Women entrepreneurs also face systemic inequalities that can push them to the margins of the economy, increase their vulnerability, and limit their growth. Further, in times of crisis and economic downturn, businesses owned by underrepresented groups, such as women, racialized groups and ethnic minorities, people living with a disability, Indigenous people, immigrants, refugees, and sexual and gender minorities, may face greater risk because of lower levels of capitalization, fewer investors and greater reliance on self-financing, weaker customer and supplier networks, and less social support. Historically, women-led enterprises employ fewer workers and generate lower average profits than businesses led by men. This holds true across several categories, including self-employed women, microenterprises with four or fewer employees, small enterprises with up to 19 employees, and medium-sized enterprises with up to 99 employees.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.phillyvoice.com/covid-19-ph ... accinated/
Philadelphia health officials are again strongly urging residents to wear masks indoors regardless of their vaccination status. The shift in guidance comes just over a month after the city lifted its mask mandate and other remaining pandemic restrictions.

The health department cited rising COVID-19 cases in the city and across the country, increasingly among children under 12 years who are not yet eligible to be vaccinated. The highly infectious Delta variant has become the dominant form of the virus in the United States and now accounts for a growing number of pediatric cases.

Acting Philadelphia Health Commissioner Dr. Cheryl Bettigole said Thursday the city has begun to see more children falling ill from COVID-19.

"We are seeing a small but disturbing increase in hospitalizations due to COVID-19 among children in Philadelphia, along with more than a doubling of cases in the city," Bettigole said. "It's time for all of us to do what we need to do to protect our city's kids. That means getting fully vaccinated if you haven't yet, and it means all of us going back to wearing masks in public. Kids under 12 cannot yet be vaccinated. They need you to step up. If you still have questions you need answered, call your doctor or our health department staff and get the information you need. And then get it done."
The mask mandate in PA ended while we were out of state. I've been out the last few days, and I'm seeing people still wearing masks. I tend to think they are mostly people with immune issues or other valid reasons for wearing a mask. I don't trust the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxer to wear masks. While things are still pretty good here, the numbers are creeping up, and it's starting to make me a little nervous. We do have a really high rate of vaccination in the county here (70-80 percent, I think.)
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hawaii is officially back to January levels today. According to the tier system, which hasn't been repealed, we should have dropped back to tier 3. Honolulu Mayor and the Lt. Gov don't want Hawaii to revert back to the more restrictive Tier 3. Instead, they urge unvaccinated residents to get their shots and maybe stay home more. Yeah, like that's going to work. These guys are just trying to justify the full opening of tourism/travel and other businesses.

Lots of uneasiness on Kauai. I've already been included in talks with organizations about sending some returned employees back to work at home. Some stores have reverted back to having kupuna (senior) hour in the mornings. Many families are worried about kids returning to school in 2 weeks, and some are opting for remote classes. The main contributors of Delta are 1) two churches, 2) residents who went to La Vegas, and to a lesser amount 3) tourists who become sick just after they arrive. (Shitty vacation for them :( )
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We are covid tested daily on the set and given arm bands. It's all done on a bar code system and linked to the previous day's test. If you don't get a negative test the day before, you don't get a test at all today, you just go home. Probably 2/3 of the cast and crew are from out of state and they are wigging out over our lack of masking, vaccines and any measures at all to control covid locally. The 1-2000 new cases per day aren't helping, either. The union and set medics make regular rounds to all depts to make sure we're masked. The only time I can drop my mask is eating (2 people per 6 foot table, and they enforce it) or if I'm in my office with nobody else present but the 3 other people who work in the dept. So far, no positive tests.

5 children waiting for ICU beds at the state's largest children's hospital. 8 already dead.
raison de arizona

What a horrifying turn of events, this is all very disheartening.

1 in 5 new cases are Florida, 2 in 5 are FL, TX, or MO. All havens for the un/under vaxxed.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... wsource=cl
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/us/arkan ... _term=link
Arkansas Children’s hospitals report a record number of children are hospitalized with Covid-19 as the illness continues to prey upon the state’s unvaccinated population.

The hospitals, located in Little Rock and Springdale, said 24 pediatric patients were hospitalized with Covid-19 on Wednesday, a 50% increase over any previous peak during the pandemic. Of the 24 children, seven are in intensive care and two are on ventilators, the hospital said. More than half of them could have been vaccinated – anyone 12 and over is eligible for a free shot – but none of those hospitalized had done so.

“We’re seeing a real surge with the Delta variant that we did not see previously,” Dr. Rick Barr, chief clinical officer at Arkansas Children’s Hospital, told CNN. “This is the worst that we’ve seen it for kids, absolutely.”

In general, children have less severe illness from Covid-19, but they are not immune to the virus and can occasionally have serious issues. Barr said child hospitalizations have become more common recently – and parents are taken aback when they see the level of care their children need.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Finally Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson has declared a public emergency and called the legislature in session.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/heal ... 429494cc33
Gov. Hutchinson declares public health emergency due to spike in COVID cases
The governor said 2,843 cases were reported on Thursday with 11 additional COVID-related deaths.

The public health proclamation will extend for 60 days and is effective immediately.

Hutchinson added any time there are staffing shortages in hospitals with patients waiting in ambulances to be seen, that is considered a public health emergency.

The governor also announced a special session to amend Act 1002, the mask mandate ban.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I feel like I might need a shower when Dershowitz sounds reasonable.

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”