Assault on the Capitol (DC)

SlimSloSlider

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by SlimSloSlider »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm Meh, 5 deaths is representative of American freedom. If you are willing to sacrifice 36000 people a year for the freedom of guns, you are willing to do it for the freedom of getting fucked by powerful people.
Cheap talk coming from someone who lives in a country where people have spent centuries killing each other for being the wrong kind of Christian.
That’s a curious and uninformed version of Irish history!
The religion thing in the North was a convenient way to put poor under-educated working class people against each other, to their own detriment.

“Centuries”?
Wolfe Tone was a Protestant.

Divide and conquer has been a motto of colonialism since first given a trial by Elizabeth I
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Suranis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 pm Ya, but you're a Dalek. :bag:
Exterminate! Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!! :bag:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 pm Ya, but you're a Dalek. :bag:
Yeah, well but.. what's this supposed to be? -->:

somerset

Post by somerset »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm Meh, 5 deaths is representative of American freedom. If you are willing to sacrifice 36000 people a year for the freedom of guns, you are willing to do it for the freedom of getting fucked by powerful people.
Cheap talk coming from someone who lives in a country where people have spent centuries killing each other for being the wrong kind of Christian.
CHILDREN!!! KNOCK IT OFF!!!

Both of you get a time out. Adult style
Go have a libation or three, and come back when you’re hung over ;)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 pm Yeah, well but.. what's this supposed to be? -->:
A Darth Mouse... with a big Saber... :bag: :cantlook:
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Knock it off or I'm going to start playing music free-for-all again. (that's my thread-- I OWN IT)
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:07 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 pm Yeah, well but.. what's this supposed to be? -->:
A Darth Mouse... with a big Saber... :bag: :cantlook:
It looks like an oversized odd pink/orange penis -- :?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Just becasue my Shwartz is bigger than yours...
Hic sunt dracones
somerset

Post by somerset »

Greenies will be along momentarily.... ;)
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Gosh darm, you are going to make something dance to,
suranis?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Well that went south in a hurry.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Rep. Clyde news reminded me of this:

UNITED STATES - JANUARY 6: Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., second from top left, helps barricade the House chamber door as rioters disrupt the joint session of Congress to certify the Electoral College vote on January 6, 2021.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Kendra wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:03 am

UNITED STATES - JANUARY 6: Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., second from top left, helps barricade the House chamber door as rioters disrupt the joint session of Congress to certify the Electoral College vote on January 6, 2021.

I take it Mr. Clyde is not one of the R's claiming that the Insurrection never happened or that it was entirely peaceful.

Or is he?
realist

Post by realist »

noblepa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 pm

I take it Mr. Clyde is not one of the R's claiming that the Insurrection never happened or that it was entirely peaceful.

Or is he?
Yes, he is.

"Watching the TV footage of those who entered the Capitol and walked through Statuary Hall showed people in an orderly fashion staying between the stanchions and ropes taking videos and pictures," Clyde said. "You know, if you didn't know the TV footage was a video from January the 6th, you would actually think it was a normal tourist visit."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/13/politics ... index.html
Image X 4
Image X 32
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Or is he?
He likened it to simple tourism.

And it was if tourists commonly storm buildings and break down doors. I don't know where that is though.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:31 pm

Or is he?

And it was if tourists commonly storm buildings and break down doors. I don't know where that is though.
No, it was not tourists. If you remember, you had an opportunity to visit DC (if you had the money) when you were in 6th grade.

These asses that fucked our Capitol. You would not have come there if you visted in 6th grade.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Or is he?

I must had missed that day in history class where tourists stormed the Bastille in 1789 in France and stormed the Russian czar's winter palace in 1917 in St. Petersburg.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Or is he?

For the record, he then went on to say that he was one of the ones barricading the doors. It was a very strange statement. Only the denialist part is getting play; he's trying to make some point that serves two gods, it appears. It's beyond me.
tencats

Post by tencats »

In Exclusive Jailhouse Letter, Capitol Riot Defendant Explains Motives, Remains Boastful
The material obtained by ProPublica sheds light on the radicalization of a Jan. 6 defendant whom prosecutors have characterized as a “serious danger ... not only to his family and Congress, but to the entire system of justice.”

ProPublica May 11, 2021
https://www.propublica.org/article/in-e ... s-boastful
In a letter sent from behind bars, a key defendant in the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol said he and fellow inmates have bonded in jail, and boasted that those attacking the building could have overthrown the government if they had wanted.

The letter is signed “the 1/6ers” and expresses no remorse for the assault on the Capitol, in which five people died. While no names appeared on it, ProPublica was able to determine, through interviews with his family and a review of his correspondence from jail, that it was penned by Guy Reffitt, a member of the Three Percenter right-wing militant group accused of participating in the riot. The letter said the inmates arrested for their role in the attack regularly recite the Pledge of Allegiance inside the Washington, D.C. jail and sing the national anthem “all in unison, loud and proud most everyday.”

“January 6th was nothing short of a satirical way to overthrow a government,” said the letter, written by hand on yellow lined paper. “If overthrow was the quest, it would have no doubt been overthrown.”

The letter sent to ProPublica is believed to be one of the first public statements from a Jan. 6 rioter currently in detention. ProPublica also obtained text messages with Reffitt’s family and was able to ask a few questions of him via text from the D.C. Jail, with his wife, Nicole Reffitt, acting as a relay. Guy Reffitt declined to participate in a fuller interview on the advice of his lawyer, his wife said.

:snippity:

In their most recent filing, prosecutors added new evidence to their case against Guy Reffitt. They obtained a recording of a Jan. 10 Zoom meeting involving Reffitt and two other Three Percenters. In it, Reffitt allegedly said he helped lead the charge on the Capitol with a .40-caliber pistol at his side, at one point telling a U.S. Capitol Police officer who was firing nonlethal rounds at him, “Sorry, darling. You better get a bigger damn gun.”

Reffitt went on to describe how the group might be able to disable a social media company’s servers by using a sniper rifle to disable the generators at a nearby Texas facility. According to court records, he said attacking the servers would “make them feel it back” in Washington, D.C. He added: “Then they won’t know we’re coming next time.”

:snippity: After then-President Donald Trump lost his bid for reelection, Guy Reffitt began to sequester himself in the front room of his suburban brick home, glued to Newsmax as it reported theories of how the vote was rigged.

On Dec. 19, Reffitt found a new obsession, his family said, when Trump tweeted: “Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!”

From then on, Reffitt’s texts bounced between plans for shopping and cooking prime rib for Christmas and talk of going to D.C. to “shock the world.”

“It’s the government that is going to be destroyed in this fight,” Reffitt texted his family on Dec. 21. “Congress has made fatal mistakes this time.”

Feeling “paranoid” about his father, Jackson Reffitt sent in a tip via the FBI website. He said he wrote that his father was a militia member who made threatening statements about public officials and kept talking about doing “something big.”

Read the whole report at https://www.propublica.org/article/in-e ... s-boastful.

January 19, 2021
Remember Guy Reffitt?
A Texas man accused of participating in the deadly attack of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 threatened to shoot his children if they exposed him to federal agents, prosecutors said. “If you turn me in, you’re a traitor and you know what happens to traitors...traitors get shot,” Guy Reffitt allegedly told his children.
https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/guy-r ... pitol-riot
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The reason Clyde talked about the tourist walking in orderly fashion between the stanchions is because that is the only footage the Fox Propaganda Network shows their viewers. They all think that's what happened on that day = excepting the people that were actually there and the people who saw video from those who shared video footage of their crimes that day. But the average Fox watcher has only seen the video of the tagalongs who didn't know why they were there. Those are the people who are seen in the clips walking in between stanchions. Tucker Carlson shows that video all the time on his show, while he screams his anger that people could think these patriots are criminals.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RVInit wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:50 am The reason Clyde talked about the tourist walking in orderly fashion between the stanchions is because that is the only footage the Fox Propaganda Network shows their viewers.
Um yeah... this totally appears a tourist thing to do.

tencats

Post by tencats »

Alleged U.S. Capitol Rioter Patrick Montgomery Faces Arrest After Hunting Mountain Lion
May 17, 2021 at 9:00 am | https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/05/17/ ... on-arrest/
A Colorado man being investigated for his role in the Jan. 6 takeover of the U.S. Capitol faces sanctions and possible arrest for shooting and killing a mountain lion in the foothills southwest of Denver.

Littleton resident Patrick Montgomery was arrested in Colorado Jan. 17 following a federal indictment. Federal prosecutors allege he was an active member of the group which forced its way past Capitol security officers and interrupted the confirmation of the 2020 presidential election.

Montgomery has been in Colorado on conditional pre-trial release since then.

In a motion filed Wednesday, federal prosecutors filed for Montgomery’s detainment.

Friday, a U.S. District Court judge in Washington D.C. granted the request. Montgomery has until 2 p.m. Monday to turn himself in to Colorado authorities.

However, the judge indicated that Montgomery’s defense plans to meet with prosecutors earlier that day. The two sides are expected to approve new conditions for Montgomery, negating the need for his arrest. Those new conditions include 24-hour home confinement, GPS monitoring, and prohibitions from possessing a firearm or hunting, according to court documents.

Federal prosecutors wrote that Montgomery shot and killed a mountain lion at a state park near Sedalia on March 31. He used a .357-caliber handgun, as determined by Colorado Parks & Wildlife personnel who responded to Montgomery’s call reporting the kill.

Montgomery, according to the prosecution’s motion, is a convicted felon who is not allowed to possess a firearm.

Also he likes to kill bobcats.
The documents say Montgomery also broke the law while on pretrial release when he illegally hunted a bobcat by knocking it out of a tree with a slingshot and having his dogs kill it in January, leading to a citation and charges on two offenses.

The U.S. Attorney's Office argued Montgomery had "flagrantly violated the law," the documents say, and had shown by his actions that he was unlikely to abide by court orders in asking that his pretrial release conditions be revoked.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/crim ... f8da64096f
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

What an asshole. The felon-in-possession charge is going to leave a mark.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 pm What an asshole. The felon-in-possession charge is going to leave a mark.
If I recall correctly from when I read the piece this morning, he was claiming that there was some sort of attachment to his state felony conviction where the judge exempted him from Colorado's felony firearms prohibition. The authors of the piece expressed...let's say "healthy skepticism" for that highly dubious claim. However, even if some judge had taken that extraordinary step, the poor guy is about to learn that a state court judge can't immunize him against prosecution under 18 USC 922(g)(1).
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”