Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Chilidog

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Chilidog »

noblepa wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:40 pm "How much for these handcuffs?"

"I'm not selling any handcuffs."

"That's okay, we brought our own. You have the right to remain silent . . ."
It would have been hilarious if he was trying to sell the stuff he swiped.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Two more Wisconsin men — one of them a National Guard member — charged with entering U.S. Capitol during Jan. 6 riot https://jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2 ... 926466001/… via @journalsentinel

Two men who drove from Madison and entered U.S. Capitol during riot charged in federal court
Two men who drove from the Madison area to Washington and entered the U.S. Capitol during the storming of the building have been charged in federal court.
jsonline.com
4:12 PM · May 4, 2021
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Oregon asshole gets to stay in jail because his parents are also insurrectionists.
A federal judge on Tuesday declined to release college senior Matthew Klein, one of two Oregon brothers accused in the Jan. 6 breach of the U.S. Capitol, after finding his parents unsuitable to supervise him pending trial.

The ruling came after prosecutors submitted examples of text messages that showed Klein’s mother and father warning Matthew’s younger brother, Jonathanpeter Klein, that “braggers get caught.”

Their mother also sent texts to Jonathanpeter Klein warning him that his “phone is not encrypted,” that he should “be careful what he says” and that he should “clear his phone” or that he should “pull a Hillary and use a hammer” and “bleach” to destroy the phone, according to court records.
:snippity:
His lawyer argued that Matthew Klein was following the direction of then-President Donald Trump after attending a rally in Washington, D.C., before marching to the Capitol and didn’t assault anyone.

“It was the President of the United States who told the crowd to go march to the United States Capitol,” Kiersch said. “This was not Matthew Klein saying do it.”
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2021/0 ... rents.html

ETA - there were a lot of brackets in the original C/P - I had to delete them cuz it posted really weird with the "]['s". Took me a while to figure out why it was weird posting.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

scirreeve wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 pm Oregon asshole gets to stay in jail because his parents are also insurrectionists.
A federal judge on Tuesday declined to release college senior Matthew Klein, one of two Oregon brothers accused in the Jan. 6 breach of the U.S. Capitol, after finding his parents unsuitable to supervise him pending trial.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2021/0 ... rents.html

ETA - there were a lot of brackets in the original C/P - I had to delete them cuz it posted really weird with the "]['s". Took me a while to figure out why it was weird posting.
Matthew Klein’s lawyer had urged his client’s release to his parents in Baker City, describing them as deeply religious Christian missionaries and very responsible people.
Is Moo still in Baker City? She could be his responsible third-party custodian.

These responsible “Christian” parents raised an insurrectionist and an alleged Proud Boy. And they’re good with that.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Last I heard Moo was living on a sheep ranch in Idaho - was months ago. Haven't seen Moo on social media for a long time (her FB was taken down in the militia take down thingy).
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:47 pm
Is Moo still in Baker City? She could be his responsible third-party custodian.
Maybe she could give him a job making balloon animals at children’s birthday parties. And she could fake marry him.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
This is getting out of control. Defendant is now yelling at judge “Is any of this negotiable? I used to be a free man... until you locked me up”. Copeland’s hearing is still several minutes away, he’s disrupting court ... and appears rattled by pretrial detention

ALERT: Initial appearance has just begun for Landon Copeland of Utah. Feds say Copeland assaulted and toppled police on Jan 6. Copeland is joining hearing by phone and has already yelled at courtroom clerk trying to get heard as call was established. Standby...
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
!!! Oh good god. Copeland just screamed “I object” in *another* defendant’s hearing when a defense lawyer criticized Donald Trump. Court then silenced his phone
Copeland not doing himself any good.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

FBI still after 'worst of the worst' in Capitol riot as new arrests come at steady pace
More than 440 people have been charged with taking part in the Capitol siege, coming from all but five states with the most come from Texas, Pennsylvania, and Florida, in that order.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... e-n1266580
Four months after the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, FBI agents maintain a steady pace of arresting people accused of taking part, as one of the largest criminal investigations in American history keeps growing.

"We're not done rounding up the worst of the worst," said one law enforcement official. "We're not slowing down."

More than 440 people have been charged with taking part in the Capitol siege, coming from all but five states — Mississippi, North and South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming. The largest number come from Texas, Pennsylvania, and Florida, in that order.

Men outnumber women among those arrested by 7 to 1, with an average age of 39, according to figures compiled by the Program on Extremism at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. A total of 44 are military veterans.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:roll:

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
!!!!!!!! Copeland is screaming. At judge. “How long can I postpone this? I’m a vet. You owe this to me. You’ve all f***ed this up. You’re a robot to me. You can’t come get me if I don’t want you to!”
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
Hearing has been paused. Defendant placed in “breakout room”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Unfortunate there's no video for us to enjoy. :crazy:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Going for the diminished mental capacity defense, I see.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Speaking of diminished mental capacity-

Ryan J. Reilly
@ryanjreilly
·
1h
Attorney for Capitol defendant Anthony Antonio said his client had “Foxitus” and “Foxmania” from watching six months of Fox News and started “believing what was being fed to him” by Fox News and the president.

Antonio talked to the feds with his lawyer pretty early, and told them he saw “death” in the eyes of D.C. Police Officer Mike Fanone as the mob pulled the officer into the crowd. https://justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi- ... 1/download
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Getting back to Mr. Copeland-

emptywheel

Twitter logo
2h, 15 tweets, 2 min read
Sometimes, defendants say stupid things to incriminate themselves on prison phones.

Landon Copeland, accused of assaulting cops, is busy in his first hearing demonstrating that he can't control his anger and doesn't listen to authority.

justice.gov/usao-dc/case-m…

He promised he'd shut up, and then as the magistrate was trying to explain pre-trial release, he interrupted again and asked, "is any of this negotiable?"

Anthony Antonio's attorney is describing how during COVID shutdown he got Foxitis, leading him to get involved in the riot.

Copeland interrupts claiming it's not pertinent information.

Incidentally, for those following along on this whack magistrate hearing, Copeland's mom called into the Zoom and had to be directed to the public line.

Copeland has at least one polite friend, who also called in on Zoom.

"Hello! I'm alive!" Copeland's ready for his close up.

"I need a bunch of stuff, I'm a veteran, and you owe this to me, I got shot at in Iraq. You guys just done fucked this up. I don't know who you are. I'm clear out here in the middle of the desert in no man's land. You can't come get me if I don't you to."

"The government stealing all my money, 70% seven zero. Come fuck with me. Come get me."

Magistrate Judge Meriweather notes that if this were an in-person she would have had Marshals remove him.

For those asking abt his attorney--there's a lawyer in UT he trusts, but he's being repped by FPD in DC.

"You motherfuckers don't put me with these fucking people I want to talk in open court."

Reminder: Copeland's mom is probably listening in on the public line.

Note: We haven't gotten to whether govt wants him detained, but there's an FBI Agent here to testify, so presumably USG WILL ask to have him detained.

• • •
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/4/29/ ... pitol-riot

A series of Facebook posts from an account with the name Landon Copeland from Apple Valley addressed the case.

“So that everyone knows I go to see the FBI and a judge tomorrow,” one post from Wednesday states. “I guess peacefully protesting at the Capitol is now illegal and they are trying to hunt us all down to try and teach us a lesson. Unfortunately only one option remains when we return. We bring guns and take the Capitol building without intention of being peaceful. This ends with the government bombing their own people. I had hopes it wouldn’t. But here we are.”

Another post read: “A champion I stood that day before your soldiers and your dog men. May we never forget Ashli Babbit.”

:crazy:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
He’s screaming “F””” all y’all”. Arguing w judge over case number They’re trying to mute him. But he keeps unmuting
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
Haven’t seen this before. Defendant just hung up on hearing. His lawyer says “Copeland is in distress”. Copeland has screamed vulgarities at judge, complained about the taxes taken from his $15/hour pay check and complained about the case number assigned to him
filly

Post by filly »

Wow, thanks V !
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
His attorney acknowledged to judge that Copeland had previously expressed “amusement” at charges against him. Loud, vulgar outbursts in court today from Copeland. Prosecutors might now ask he be detained!!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
·
1m
He’s re-entering hearing. Standby

:bored:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
The court is about to order competency exam of this defendant

They’re trying to figure out if exam can happen in Copeland’s home state of Utah or must happen in dc
filly

Post by filly »

Uh, why aren't the Marshals at his freaking door? This man is a threat to himself and others.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”