Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Dave from down under

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Dave from down under »

With a conspicuous black cowl for delivering sentence ;)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Or you could go for ITV's Judge Rinder.

Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ck-family/
NO SHOWS: Before Senate Republicans blocked the creation of a bipartisan commission to investigate the events of Jan. 6, Gladys Sicknick, the mother of late U.S. Capitol Police Officer Brian D. Sicknick — who lost his life shortly after defending the Capitol that day — requested meetings with every GOP senator to advocate for the proposal.

At least 20 Republican senators did not meet with Sicknick's mother, according to a list obtained by The Washington Post. Asked why they were not able to meet with Gladys Sicknick, who was accompanied by her son's former partner, Sandra Garza, several of the offices cited scheduling issues.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Ten US Capitol police officers remain off-the-job with injuries sustained during the US Capitol Insurrection, multiple Congressional and police sources tell me
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Don't have the twitter link handy, but the guy who pleaded to a deal yesterday will get "1-2 years in prison, a few thousand in fines to cover damages but no cooperation deal required." I don't know specifically what he did, but I will assume he didn't assault anyone. I did see a photo of him inside holding a trump flag on a pole.

Is that good, bad, expected?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Swalwell is still trying to serve his 1/6 lawsuit to Rep. Mo Brooks. Today a federal judge gave him another 60 days to do so — but he rejected a request to order the U.S. Marshals to do it, citing “separation of powers concerns.”
??? because I am unsure of the court jurisdiction (Civil? Federal?) and how those rules work, but I'm rather fond of using the local sheriff to serve the papers. LOL, we were chasing a debtor in Idaho that the process service company the lawyer usually uses and they were stymied and gave up. We paid the Ada County Sheriff to do it and they were very successful. I hope the debtor peed his pants when the sheriff came knocking on his door :whistle:
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:34 am

He claims his monthly expenses total 4,800 dollars.
If you click through to the filing, it's sort of interesting when you read the next paragraph. He claims other sources of income, including severance when he was laid off his old job, and income from working as some sort of delivery driver.

If you take the $4,800 per month, and add back 40% for taxes, social security, etc (a rough estimate to be sure), then it appears that he's claiming his lifestyle is commensurate with pre-tax income of $8,000 a month or $96,000 a year. Does anybody have any idea what this guy's actual job was, to see if that was indeed reasonable? $96,000 a year is around the 83rd percentile for individual income in the US. Some of the insurrectionists owned businesses and were relatively higher income, but I wonder if he's bullshitting the court.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Justice Dept says a *stomach tattoo* helped them identify an accused US Capitol Insurrectionist

James McGrew of Arizona is accused of striking police officer, yelling at police to leave "our house"

Mcgrew allegedly lifted shirt to wipe sweat, revealing tell-tale tattoo (pic)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

When your wife posts ongoing comments on Facebook while you storm the Capitol

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

slq

Post by slq »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:51 am
??? because I am unsure of the court jurisdiction (Civil? Federal?) and how those rules work, but I'm rather fond of using the local sheriff to serve the papers. LOL, we were chasing a debtor in Idaho that the process service company the lawyer usually uses and they were stymied and gave up. We paid the Ada County Sheriff to do it and they were very successful. I hope the debtor peed his pants when the sheriff came knocking on his door :whistle:
I don't know why Swalwell's attorneys don't just file a motion to serve by mail. At this point, they can show due diligence in attempting personal service.

Edit: typo
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/03/politics ... index.html
'I thought I was going to lose my life': Capitol Police officers share their harrowing January 6 stories for the first time
Video at the link. Do watch.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

slq wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:48 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:51 am
I don't know why Swalwell's attorneys don't just file a motion to serve by mail. At this point, they can show due diligence in attempting personal service.

Edit: typo
I know that there is a very specific process to serve the President or Vice-President. You can't just walk up to him or her and hand them a lawsuit. You can't waltz into their offices and drop it on their desk. The process has been discussed here in the past, but it was lost in the crash.

My point is (a question, really) this; is there similar process to serve a member of Congress or the Senate? Security surrounding the POTUS and VPOTUS has been very tight for generations, and rightly so. In the past 20 or 30 years, security has been tightened around congress-critters, as well. For example, I believe that, like the WH, mail to members of Congress or Senators goes to a secure mail processing facility, where it is x-rayed and scanned for nasty things like anthrax spores.

I would think that, in that environment, they would have a way to serve process on a member, without having to confront them personally.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/04/politics ... index.html
(CNN)A Trump supporter accused of storming the US Capitol and heckling police officers for "protecting pedophiles" previously served jail time after being convicted in the statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl, according to court records reviewed by CNN and lawyers involved in the cases.

Federal prosecutors say Sean McHugh of Auburn, California, fought with police as they fended off the massive mob of Trump supporters outside the Capitol on January 6. During the scuffle, McHugh was recorded by police body-worn cameras heckling the officers with a megaphone.

According to prosecutors' description of the footage, McHugh allegedly shouted, "You guys like protecting pedophiles?" "you're protecting communists," "I'd be shaking in your little s--t boots too," and, "there is a Second Amendment behind us, what are you going to do then?"
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:50 am
(CNN)A Trump supporter accused of storming the US Capitol and heckling police officers for "protecting pedophiles" previously served jail time after being convicted in the statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl, according to court records reviewed by CNN and lawyers involved in the cases.
Good example of how it is all about natural order. They are not against pedophilia (or hebephilia, or ephebophilia) for their own group, it is the idea of inferior races having sexual access to their young girls. Sexual activity with teens is a status symbol, and with all status symbols it carries baggage of who should be able to rightfully display it vs not.... kinda like how many people react to say a PoC with an expensive car.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

neeneko wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:29 am Good example of how it is all about natural order. They are not against pedophilia (or hebephilia, or ephebophilia) for their own group, it is the idea of inferior races having sexual access to their young girls. Sexual activity with teens is a status symbol, and with all status symbols it carries baggage of who should be able to rightfully display it vs not.... kinda like how many people react to say a PoC with an expensive car.
They assume they are drug dealers? :bag:

What a horrible status symbol, that makes me sick to my stomach.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

covfefe wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:24 pm What a horrible status symbol, that makes me sick to my stomach.
Unfortunately, status symbols and taboos are often intertwined. The ability to openly violate a taboo and survive socially is a big indicator regarding one's position and amount of social capital they can afford to waste. It is one of the reasons cultural appropriation is such an icky topic.... affluent white people openly doing things that poor PoC or other groups have to hide.

Which, looping back to the original topic, dovetails pretty well with the mentality behind the capitol assault in the first place.. this is a tool the perpetrators saw as something they have a right to while decrying 'lesser' people attempting to do the same... with the police response validating that they did indeed have more social capital to engage in this taboo action without the same violent pushback BLM got. Even with arrests, their status was confirmed.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Hello from Judge McFadden's virtual courtroom, where a hearing is set to begin soon on J6 defendant Brandon Fellows, who is accused, for a second time, of violating some of his pretrial release conditions. More here:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
Heads-up: Prosecutors have increased their estimate of the possible number of Jan 6 defendants to 550. That detail is included in a filing in a case this afternoon
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

ALERT Justice Dept says it has begun "plea discussions", but hasn't made official offer to former Olympic swimmer Klete Keller in Jan 6 prosecution

Could happen in short order, per prosecutors
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Stephanie Baez of CA charged in Jan 6 case

Feds say Baez wore George Orwell shirt & posted on IG: "For sure Trump supporters storming here & they are pissed. They might try storming the Supreme Court later... 2 old ladies were some of the first people in the Capitol building"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

"I don't regret being there because the idea was to confront lawmakers"

My jailhouse phone interview with a high profile Jan 6 defendant. Landon Copeland of Utah is accused of assaulting police & screamed vulgarities at judge at May hearing http://nbc4dc.com/ZEjFH2b w/
@ricknbc
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:10 pm :snippity:
And it was that point that his defense attorney realizes that he's just gonna collect a paycheck now...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Pretty much.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I can't find a link on CNN's site at the moment, but Pamela Brown had two CP officers on for 30 minutes, and I hope she has them back for more. Really rough hearing them speak about the day, how relentless it was and now while they're trying to deal with their grief, injuries and trauma getting dumped on by Republican leaders who want to wash it under the rug. I got the impression that it was just a bunch of tourists really ticked them off.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”