Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by Volkonski »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
!!! US Capitol riot defendant Copeland re-enters hearing and tells judge “I’m not just gonna listen to what you have to say. It doesn’t work that way...”. The court muted him again. He hung up again
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Judge says the appropriate next step is to refer Copeland to behavioral health authorities for a remote competency screening and then set another status hearing. Finds him eligible for court-appointed counsel.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Is he acting to get out of the charges, or seriously mentally health issues?
filly

Post by filly »

neonzx wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:49 pm Is he acting to get out of the charges, or seriously mentally health issues?
We should find out soon although it seems to me he needs to be in the custody of the US Marshals first.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:52 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:49 pm Is he acting to get out of the charges, or seriously mentally health issues?
We should find out soon although it seems to me he needs to be in the custody of the US Marshals first.
I thought he was in custody already?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Acting out like that won't get him off the hook for the charges. He might, however, find himself committed to a psychiatric facility for inpatient restoration of competency.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

fierceredpanda wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:22 pm
Acting out like that won't get him off the hook for the charges. He might, however, find himself committed to a psychiatric facility for inpatient restoration of competency.
And he has no idea what the train that’s getting ready to run him over in the form of psychiatric commitment is going to be like. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:29 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:22 pm
And he has no idea what the train that’s getting ready to run him over in the form of psychiatric commitment is going to be like. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.
Same. I've had a number of my clients committed for competency reasons, and I've never felt good about it. From my perspective, as someone who has visited both prisons and psychiatric facilities, prison is vastly preferable. But it is a great feeling when clients get the help they need and come out the other side from a commitment as functioning human beings who communicate and are not a threat to themselves or others. And usually outcomes in their cases are vastly improved once a prosecutor and a judge see that there's been a significant unaddressed mental health issue that is now being addressed.

All that being said: This asshole really has it coming. And I'm not even sure it's a mental illness issue. I think it may just be that 1) he's an asshole, and 2) he's one of those white people who thinks the criminal justice system is only for those other, icky (read: brown) people, and get really, really pissed off when they find themselves in court. I've represented people who were in the middle of full-bore psychotic breaks at the time of a hearing who weren't this disruptive in court. But the angry white dude who thinks the system is supposed to work for him? Represented some of those, too. And one of them was the only client of whom I have ever been afraid.

(Sorry, not telling that story.)
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Lani

Post by Lani »

From February 2020:
Hildale man faces arson, theft charges for allegedly setting stolen car on fire
ST. GEORGE — A Hildale man now faces charges in both Utah and Arizona after he was arrested by Washington County Sheriff’s deputies on a protective order violation while also being the focus of an ongoing investigation by the Colorado City Marshal’s Office.

Landon Copeland, 32, of Hildale, was arrested Sunday by the Marshal’s Office before being transported and booked after he was found at a location in Hildale that he was ordered to stay away from by the court.

Colorado City Police Chief Robb Radley said that at the time of the arrest, Copeland was also the suspect in a weeklong investigation by the Colorado City Marshal’s Office that began after deputies responded to an assault call several days earlier.

Shortly after, police received a report that a two-door passenger car was allegedly taken from a residence on Elm Street in Hildale.
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archi ... JRv16FujIX
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

For completeness, the Daily Beast article on the hearing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/landon-ke ... t-in-court
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Lani wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:45 pm From February 2020:
I didn’t realize he was from Hildale. That was one of the Jeffs’ towns before Warren Jeffs opened the Yearning for Zion compound in Texas.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:56 pm
Lani wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:45 pm From February 2020:
I didn’t realize he was from Hildale. That was one of the Jeffs’ towns before Warren Jeffs opened the Yearning for Zion compound in Texas.
I thought I remembered that town name from somewhere. Colorado City, mentioned in the article was the other town that is right across the border.

He did not think his February issue was enough. He also had in August.
In a separate episode, Copeland was charged with a felony count of illegal weapons possession. Police in Hildale claim they pulled him over and found Copeland with marijuana and rifles; he was not supposed to have weapons because of a protective order against him.
https://www.fox13now.com/news/crime/uta ... e-violence

Utah charges a monthly fee for access but I did find enough to see that the August case is on the calendar for May 11. Here are the charges in that one
3rd Degree Felony PURCH, TRANS, POSSESS, USE OF A FIREARM BY RESTRICTED PERSON 8/15/2020
3rd Degree Felony POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE MARIJUANA/SPICE 8/15/2020
Class B Misdemeanor USE OR POSSESSION OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA 8/15/2020
Infraction NO VALID LICENSE - NEVER OBTAINED LICENSE 8/15/2020
Class C Misdemeanor OPEN CONTAINER IN VEHICLE ON HIGHWAY 8/15/2020
Infraction FAIL TO ILLUMINATE REAR REGISTRATION PLA 8/15/2020
Probably not his best year.

At the same time, he also has a hearing for the February 2020 Violation of a Protection Order (involves domestic violence).
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

At the same time, he also has a hearing for the February 2020 Violation of a Protection Order (involves domestic violence).
This explains a lot!!!! Mr. My Way or the Highway to the 10th power.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I like how he described Jan 6 as a "peaceful protest". If that was peaceful, his idea of unpeaceful must be apocalyptic.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Peaceful means they didn't bring guns. And they were being the same as the Boston Tea party, and being revolutionaries, and being Patriotic. And sanctioned by the Prez.

The fact that the Prez hasn't even mentioned them let alone done anything to help them is causing cognitive dissonance in his head, and he is probably finding that enraging.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Suranis wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am Peaceful means they didn't bring guns. And they were being the same as the Boston Tea party, and being revolutionaries, and being Patriotic. And sanctioned by the Prez.

The fact that the Prez hasn't even mentioned them let alone done anything to help them is causing cognitive dissonance in his head, and he is probably finding that enraging.
Yeah. I caught that distinction. No guns = peaceful. That means all the crowds after futbol matches are peaceful, and when they pour out on the pitch, they are being "jubilant".
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Last night, CNN's Anderson Cooper covered Copeland's outburst.

Apparently the virtual hearing was part of a string of such hearings.

Interestingly, they mentioned that the defendant before Copeland argued in his own defense that he suffered from "Foxitus" and "Foxmania", saying that he had listened to Fox News and been brainwashed. The talking heads on CNN all agreed that that defense won't fly.

As much as I dislike Fox News, especially their opinion shows, I think that is akin to the "Twinkie Defense" or the "Affluenza" defense.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 am
Suranis wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am Peaceful means they didn't bring guns. And they were being the same as the Boston Tea party, and being revolutionaries, and being Patriotic. And sanctioned by the Prez.

Yeah. I caught that distinction. No guns = peaceful. That means all the crowds after futbol matches are peaceful, and when they pour out on the pitch, they are being "jubilant".
It does mess up their claims that BLM and Antifa protesters are violent. They are not carrying guns.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:46 pm It does mess up their claims that BLM and Antifa protesters are violent. They are not carrying guns.
Everyone convicted of assault should be grateful for this brilliant new interpretation of the law. These guys have certainly improved the lives of so many people.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

noblepa wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:26 pm As much as I dislike Fox News, especially their opinion shows, I think that is akin to the "Twinkie Defense" or the "Affluenza" defense.
The right wing is allllllllll about personal responsibility...

Until they find themselves in trouble...then it has to be someone else's fault...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Oh, Mo.

"An attorney for Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) told Punchbowl News that Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) has refused to be served in a lawsuit alleging that he and other pro-Trump allies are "responsible for the injury and destruction" of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol."

https://www.axios.com/mo-brooks-capitol ... ce=twitter
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 am Oh, Mo.

"An attorney for Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) told Punchbowl News that Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) has refused to be served in a lawsuit alleging that he and other pro-Trump allies are "responsible for the injury and destruction" of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol."

https://www.axios.com/mo-brooks-capitol ... ce=twitter
How can one "refuse to be served"? I know that you can avoid being found, but that is kind of difficult for a sitting congressman, isn't it? I've heard that you can't just refuse to take a subpoena when it is handed to you. The process server can simply drop it at your feet and have this considered proper service.

Can a process server get inside the capital building these days or inside one of the other buildings were the congress critters have their offices? If so, they could just wait until Mr. Brooks arrives at his office.

I would also think that there are formal procedures for serving congress members and senators. Just as you can't just walk up to the White House and serve the President, you can still affect service on him. Isn't there some similar procedure for congress?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If he's so proud of his vote and his stand with trump, why isn't he excited about being subpoenaed? It's his big chance to make us Dems look like fools.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

US Capitol Police observed roughly 200 members of the extremist Proud Boys group moving toward the Senate around 11 a.m. on January 6, hours before the building was breached by a pro-Trump mob, a House committee chairman said Monday.

Rep. Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat, revealed new details about the January 6 insurrection and failures to focus on threats emerging that morning. The new details emerged Monday during a House Administration Committee hearing examining the Capitol Police inspector general's most recent report into the department's countersurveillance and threat assessment deficiencies.

Lofgren said the Proud Boys were only mentioned once in a Capitol Police timeline of the day, but instead, Capitol Police seemed to monitor three to four counterdemonstrators who showed up around 11:30 a.m. that day.

Asked why Capitol Police didn't focus on the Proud Boys, Inspector General Michael Bolton said a later report would likely address that. In a statement early Monday evening, US Capitol Police said countersurveillance teams were, in fact, monitoring the Proud Boys on the day of the riot and that it properly distributed the information.

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

George Tanios and Julian Khater to stay in jail. They are the only ones whose case involves the death of Officer Brian Sicknick.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/11/politics ... index.html

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”