Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2020 Election Lawsuits

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

2020 Election Lawsuits

Post by Maybenaut »

Supreme Court won’t take up challenge to Pennsylvania presidential election results
The Supreme Court on Monday turned away Republican challenges to the presidential elections results in Pennsylvania, refusing to take up a months-long dispute over extending the deadline in that state for receiving mail-in ballots.

Even the three justices who would have granted the case — Clarence Thomas, Samuel A. Alito Jr. and Neil M. Gorsuch — acknowledged that the number of ballots received after Election Day would not have been enough to threaten President Biden’s victory margin over former president Donald Trump.

But they said it raised important issues about the role of state courts and authorities to alter voting procedures set by the legislature.

“A decision in these cases would not have any implications regarding the 2020 election,”
Alito wrote. “But a decision would provide invaluable guidance for future elections.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: 2020 Election Lawsuits

Post by raison de arizona »

They dismissed a lot of cases.
  • Republican Party of Pennsylvania v. Degraffenreid (prev. Republican Party of Pennsylvania v. Boockvar)
  • Kelly v. Pennsylvania (Rep. Mike Kelly R-PA)
  • Donald J. Trump for President v. Degraffenreid (prev. Donald J. Trump for President v. Boockvar)
  • Wood v. Raffensperger (poor Lin)
  • Ward v. Jackson (crazy Kelli Ward in AZ)
  • Trump v. Biden (WI appeal, dennied)
  • King v. Whitmer (another WI appeal, dennied)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Are there any election lawsuits still pending in SCOTUS?
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Lani wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm Are there any election lawsuits still pending in SCOTUS?
I believe there is one. It is 20-883. This is an appeal from a case against the WEC. It is scheduled for conference on 3/5. Every other case is toast.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Looks like the cases were held up for a while because the three right wing lunatics (Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas) were trying to enlist the newest justice, Amy Covid Barrett, but no luck.
realist

Post by realist »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:51 pm
Lani wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm Are there any election lawsuits still pending in SCOTUS?
I believe there is one. It is 20-883. This is an appeal from a case against the WEC. It is scheduled for conference on 3/5. Every other case is toast.
That's what I find as well.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Somebody’s getting suspended or disbarred.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... b_23_0.pdf

DEA48751-93AF-4293-850E-C7F02519056E.png
DEA48751-93AF-4293-850E-C7F02519056E.png (81.59 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

In the Gondor has no king case some fresh batshittery ensues, full of crunchy goodness, and Mike Dunford is breaking it down.

Image Image Image Image
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I am surprised the judge hasn't shut down this nonsense.
mimi

Post by mimi »

sterngard friegen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:07 pm Looks like the cases were held up for a while because the three right wing lunatics (Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas) were trying to enlist the newest justice, Amy Covid Barrett, but no luck.
Kind of off topic, but the #maga crowd is turning on her and is now floating a conspiracy theory that her kids are victims of child trafficking.

This was posted this morning and is now 139 comments long.
Attachments
D136B22E-FDAD-41E5-9CA6-7F236AFCBAB0.jpeg
D136B22E-FDAD-41E5-9CA6-7F236AFCBAB0.jpeg (224.43 KiB) Viewed 8283 times
Jim

Post by Jim »

mimi wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am Kind of off topic, but the #maga crowd is turning on her and is now floating a conspiracy theory that her kids are victims of child trafficking.

This was posted this morning and is now 139 comments long.
Guess the Republican Senators didn't do their jobs. Vote them out! :D
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Not really an Election Lawsuit but more side bit to an election lawsuit adjacent.

While scrolling through the recent SCOTUS order list (the one with the denied election lawsuit cases) I came across another denied cert petition.

BLIXSETH, TIMOTHY L. V. CREDIT SUISSE

For newbs (or um.. original TFB newbs since we are all newbs now), Blixseth was once Dennis Montgomery's (of the Hammer fame brought up in the election lawsuit and other stuff) partner/pal. Funny how Blixeth keeps popping up.

Without looking up the case, I am assuming it probably is yet another case of his in the ongoing saga of his loss of the Yellowstone Club, or something.
101010 :towel:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

northland10 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:52 pm :snip:
Without looking up the case, I am assuming it probably is yet another case of his in the ongoing saga of his loss of the Yellowstone Club, or something.
Yes, it is about Yellowstone. Here is the Ninth Circuit ruling that was appealed. It is above my pay grade to understand the fine points of bankruptcy law.

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/ ... -35304.pdf
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona

Great, AZ Republicans on the honor system? I'm sure nothing will go wrong with that...
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:05 am
In my years here, I have read endless craziness in court filings from birthers, SovCits (including a bunch of Curry's handwritten wildness), and even a lady who sent a handwritten cert petition to SCOTUS explaining how she fired the President and, IIRC, SCOTUS. Gondor Has No King is managing to top them all. The only thing he does better is that he formats better than Orly, but so do various wild animals.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Bar Complaints Filed Against Three Attorneys Who Pressed Louie Gohmert’s ‘Frivolous and Dangerous’ Lawsuit to Overturn 2020 Presidential Election

Bar complaints were filed earlier this week against three attorneys who worked on lawsuits aimed at overturning the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Washington, D.C.-based attorney Patrick Malone submitted two separate bar complaints to the District of Columbia Court of Appeals Office of Disciplinary counsel. The two complaints target three members of the D.C Bar: (1) Julia Z. Haller; (2) Lawrence Joseph; and (3) Brandon Johnson.

Each of the accused attorneys is named in a complaint concerning the case stylized as Gohmert v. Pence, a lawsuit filed by Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.) late last year which asked a federal judge to reconfigure a post-Reconstruction law in order to give then-vice president Mike Pence the power to determine the winner of the 2020 presidential election. The lawsuit was tossed by a federal district court. Then it was thrown out by a federal appellate court. Completing the hat trick, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to consider the lawsuit with a single sentence in early January.

Each of the three pro-GOP attorneys “seriously violated the District of Columbia Rules of Professional Conduct” and engaged in “unethical” behavior viz. the Gohmert lawsuit, the complaint alleges. Specifically, Malone claims the Texas Republican’s arguments were frivolous and presented for an “improper purpose” and that the attorneys themselves engaged in “conduct that seriously interferes with the administration of justice” by litigating the GOP’s concerns therein.

“It was based on facts that had no evidentiary support, and its core legal argument,” the complaint notes, “could not pass any test of good faith.”

Malone also alleges that the attorneys submitted “a fake document” to the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in order to give the impression that the Arizona State Legislature had signed off on challenges to the authenticity of the November election results.

“Close study of the [lawsuit] and its Exhibit A shows that the lawyers who presented the [lawsuit] knew they were trying to pull a fast one on the federal court in Texas where they brought this case,” Malone alleges. “They inserted weasel words in their various references to the Arizona Legislature in an apparent effort to give them a fig leaf if caught.”

Malone suggests that four separate “false factual assertions” were made by use of the allegedly false document attached to the Gohmert lawsuit. Beyond that, the attorney alleges, the lawsuits “legal arguments were boldly frivolous.”
https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/b ... -election/

Fake documents, false factual assertions, maybe they’ll do something.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Democracy Docket
@DemocracyDocket
OctopusALERT: #SCOTUS REJECTS two Kraken-conspiracy lawsuits in Arizona and Wisconsin brought by Sidney Powell and her team, seeking to decertify the 2020 election results. Trump and his allies remain 1-64 in court.

AZDown pointing backhand index
https://democracydocket.com/cases/arizo ... challenge/
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

When we last left the Maricopa County Supervisors, they were facing arrest for contempt for not turning all ballots and private voting information to AZ Republicans. Then a judge ruled for the AZ Republicans and ordered the Supervisors to turn everything over. Now, AZ Democrats write a letter to the Maricopa County Supervisors urging them to appeal the latest ruling that they have to turn everything over to AZ Republicans.
LETTER: to Maricopa County Board of Supervisors regarding lawsuit against State Senate

Maricopa Board of Supervisors
Attn: Chairman Jack Sellers, Supervisors Steve Chucri,
Bill Gates, Clint Hickman and Steve Gallardo
Maricopa Board of Supervisors
301 West Jefferson Street, #10
Phoenix, Arizona 85003

Monday, March 1, 2021

Members of the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors,

We are writing to urge you to reconsider your decision not to appeal the judge's ruling in your lawsuit against the state senate. The public is rightly outraged that their secret ballots will now fall into the hands of politicians who – with no credible evidence – have publicly cast doubt on the integrity and accuracy of the county's election. Your decision not to appeal guarantees that future requests for direct viewing of individual voter ballots will become a feature of any Arizona election going forward in which any legislative committee chair disagrees with the outcome, including in their own elections or yours.

By all accounts, including the two independent audits that were conducted by nationally certified auditors, the hand count audit performed after the election, as well as all of the legal scrutiny in each of the nine lawsuits that the county won, the 2020 general election was secure and accurate. Those lawsuits alleging fraud or misconduct in Arizona’s elections all failed because those challenging the election lacked even a kernel of evidence to back up their claims. Handing over individual voter’s ballots to the senate will only serve to fuel discredited conspiracy theories and undermine the voters' confidence in our free and fair elections.

There are ample grounds for you to appeal Judge Thomason's decision. Chief among them are his assumptions that the word "person" in the statute that makes it unlawful to show a ballot to any person does not include governmental officials and that the senators will be willing and able to protect the security and confidentiality of the ballots and voting machines. The judge made those assumptions without an evidentiary hearing on how the senate would protect the chain of custody of the materials as well as the security and confidentiality of the 2.1 million ballots that the senate wants to scrutinize. Additionally, the judge acknowledged that there can be "unusual circumstances" in which a voter's ballot, when reviewed by a government official, would not remain secret. This admission by the judge demonstrates that the senate cannot guarantee the secrecy of every Maricopa County voter's ballot.

It was apparent from the debate on the senate floor regarding holding each of you in contempt for failing to comply with every demand in the senate's subpoena that the senate is motivated by the misguided belief that something nefarious happened in our elections last year. Each of you knows full well that there is simply no factual basis for that conclusion. For that reason, we urge you not to let the senate diminish or confiscate your separately elected authority. You oversee the elections, and you did so with integrity and transparency. You have a sacred obligation to every voter to make sure their ballot is not handed over to anyone who cannot guarantee its security. We urge you not to let the senate convince you otherwise.

Each of the legislators who signed below will stand firm with you if you decide to appeal Judge Thomason's ruling. The public needs your courage now more than ever. The privacy of their vote and the security of our voting equipment depend on your resolve to stand up to the senate and protect our elections.

Sincerely,
https://www.azhousedemocrats.com/post/l ... ate-senate
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Trump Rejected by Supreme Court in Final Election Challenge”:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -challenge

“The U.S. Supreme Court refused to consider former President Donald Trump’s challenge to the presidential election results in Wisconsin, rejecting the last remaining appeal that sought to overturn Joe Biden’s victory.”

“The rebuff came without comment or published dissent.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Here's a treat -- somehow, as a reply to my posting the Charlie Kirk/Mike Lindell interview, Paul M. Davis, the Gondor lawyer, replied! :lol:

Referred him to Mike Dunford. Frankly, prefer Ann B. Davis to Paul M. Davis. :P

https://twitter.com/firedtxlawyer

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
slq

Post by slq »

Following that twitter link resulted in a link to the AZ judge's ruling awarding sanctions against the AZ Republican Party. Here's a direct link:https://arizonaslaw.blogspot.com/2021/0 ... t-pay.html

Not only does the judge explicily accuse the AZ Republican party and its attorneys of "gaslighting" in their response to the sanctions motion, but he essentially calls them concern trolls and shows he flat-out gets what they're trying to do:
Attachments
screenshot-arizonaslaw.blogspot.com-2021.03.15-15_15_43.png
screenshot-arizonaslaw.blogspot.com-2021.03.15-15_15_43.png (201.76 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

BENCHSLAP!!!!!! :stamp:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Second amended complaint in Gondor lawsuit now with RICO!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Biden Administration”