What are you watching?

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

I ended up enjoying The White Lotus. No one had any redeeming value, but I decided part way to just go with it. I understand there will be a Season 2, but I'd guess it will be all new characters, considering whom they killed off.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:19 pm I ended up enjoying The White Lotus. No one had any redeeming value, but I decided part way to just go with it. I understand there will be a Season 2, but I'd guess it will be all new characters, considering whom they killed off.
I liked it. Can’t say I loved it. I really do like shows where the characters have no redeeming qualities. Succession was a much better example.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:59 pm
Kate520 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:34 pm I liked the original, too. The cast had good energy with one another. I’m willing to bet the reboot will be just fine.

Sprout had a teacher in HS who looked just like Eliot (Christian Kane). The kids called him Thor. ;)
LOL. All of the leading actors were spot-on in the original. (Eliot's kinda hot -- Orlylicious and I are going to fight over him :dance: )

So I just started watching episode #1 of Redemption. I'm gonna keep an open mind... and let it roll. I miss Nathan but I'll see if they can make this work.
We liked it. Kane and Wyle worked together on The Librarians, which was silly fun. Love the New Orleans locale. The villains are one-dimensional but it's not Masterpiece Theatre.

Oh, and Kane is very hot.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:46 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:19 pm I ended up enjoying The White Lotus. No one had any redeeming value, but I decided part way to just go with it. I understand there will be a Season 2, but I'd guess it will be all new characters, considering whom they killed off.
I liked it. Can’t say I loved it. I really do like shows where the characters have no redeeming qualities. Succession was a much better example.
I loved Succession. Can't wait for the new season. I don't want to give anything away for anyone who hasn't watched it that might (I HIGHLY recommend), but the end of Season Two was epic.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I dragged out North and South for a marathon rewatch, it's been years. I know it's a guilty pleasure with all those low cut bodices and female vamps and all, but what fun all the same, and all those wonderful guest stars. And Patrick Swayze... :bag: :faint:

I have to note that all the tension build up between the north and the south leading up to the war and tearing family and friends apart kinda reminds me of where we're at now.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

LM K wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:56 pm David Tennant :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
Speaking of which, I'm on my third binge of Good Omens. I don't know who's hotter, Tennant's ginger-haired demon Crowley or Ellis' Lucifer.

I think I'm going to make myself a great big Aziraphale rag doll. He's just so cuddly.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Longmire.

In Oldbow, I think it was filly who’d been singing the praises of this show. I agree. It’s prolly in my top 10 of all time. We binged 5 seasons in the last week or so, and now we’re slowing down because there’s only season 6 left. It began as the highest rated show ever on A&E, which canceled after season 3; Netflix made seasons 4-6, then canceled; now it’s hanging. I don’t see how they can wind it up all the story lines so there’s going to be a bunch of stuff unresolved. Oh no.

Iconocally laconic sheriff Walt Longmire’s county is on the edge of the Cheyenne reservation. His daughter just graduated from law school and his childhood bestie, Henry Standing Bear (Lou Diamond Phillips) owns a bar. Walt grew up in his county.

The storyline is often unexpected and the writing is fine, full of moments of true emotion. The characters are fully drawn. I still can’t tell for sure if Jacob Nighthorse is a good guy or the bad guy, the ultimate puller of strings. Or was it Malachi? Or someone else entirely? ;) Just when you think it’s this guy, he gets murdered. (no spoilers please). Vic, Walt’s deputy, is so fun to watch, with her beautiful, expressive face, wide mouth and… interesting…posture. She STRUTS, in case you’ve ever wondered what that looks like. All the actors are stellar.

I’m going to be sad when it ends. Watching it is like being wrapped in your favoritest cozy sweater.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's quite a recommendation!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/movi ... -gems.html
21 Buried Movie Treasures You Didn't Know Were on Netflix Now
Get past the browse wall with our critic's picks

Here's a dirty little secret Netflix doesn't want you to know: Its movie backlist may be vast (3,700 and counting), but it's not exactly full of gold-star cinema. To make matters harder for film fans, the good stuff is largely hidden behind the Netflix suggestions wall full of its own originals and popular TV shows. But never fear! After careful combing through the complete list, we've unearthed 21 hidden movie gems that might have flown below your radar … until now.

Concrete Cowboy (2020)
Did you know there were urban cowboys in Philadelphia? I didn't until I watched this drama based on the Fletcher Street stables and the modern descendants of the city's 19th-century African American hostlers and horse drivers. The storyline is pretty prefabricated — a rebellious teen Caleb McLaughlin (Stranger Things) learns to tame his anger by taming a bronco — but Idris Elba (who coproduced) is magnificent as his dad, and the glimpse of a hardy subculture struggling against gentrification is deeply moving.

Watch it on Netflix: Concrete Cowboy
Idris Elba. Need I say more? :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:49 pm Iris Elba. Need I say more? :daydreaming:
Yes, actually. :batting: You do need to say more.
I blame spellcheck, so you don't have to.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I saw a tweet today by a mom of an 11 year old girl. They were in a coffee shop, and they watched a very good looking construction worker enter the shop.

The 11 year old girl told her mom, "I don't know what he fixes, but whatever it is, mine is broken."
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm Longmire.

In Oldbow, I think it was filly who’d been singing the praises of this show. I agree. It’s prolly in my top 10 of all time. We binged 5 seasons in the last week or so, and now we’re slowing down because there’s only season 6 left. It began as the highest rated show ever on A&E, which canceled after season 3; Netflix made seasons 4-6, then canceled; now it’s hanging. I don’t see how they can wind it up all the story lines so there’s going to be a bunch of stuff unresolved. Oh no.

Iconocally laconic sheriff Walt Longmire’s county is on the edge of the Cheyenne reservation. His daughter just graduated from law school and his childhood bestie, Henry Standing Bear (Lou Diamond Phillips) owns a bar. Walt grew up in his county.

The storyline is often unexpected and the writing is fine, full of moments of true emotion. The characters are fully drawn. I still can’t tell for sure if Jacob Nighthorse is a good guy or the bad guy, the ultimate puller of strings. Or was it Malachi? Or someone else entirely? ;) Just when you think it’s this guy, he gets murdered. (no spoilers please). Vic, Walt’s deputy, is so fun to watch, with her beautiful, expressive face, wide mouth and… interesting…posture. She STRUTS, in case you’ve ever wondered what that looks like. All the actors are stellar.

I’m going to be sad when it ends. Watching it is like being wrapped in your favoritest cozy sweater.
Stern had also made this recommendation. And I agree with everything you wrote about it. It is near the top of my list of favorite show ever. Season 6 does a nice job of wrapping things up, but I would say there is still room for more. And the "more" could be super exciting and not run out of story lines given how it wraps. I don't want to give anything away, but get ready for more enjoyment and cozy sweater teevee!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm Longmire.
Longmire is one of my favorites as well. I've watched it all the way through at least twice. Who knew a fictional county in Wyoming could have so much draamah?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

OMG. My husband *loved* Longmire. I thought it was boring. The scenery was beautiful (and I do love Lou Diamond Phillips and A Martinez :faint: ). But I was bored to death watching it. I mean it was OK, but nothing I would binge on and it certainly wouldn’t rate in my top ten.

I’m not saying ya’ll are wrong to like it. It just didn’t appeal to me as much as it does to others.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Foggy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:49 pm I saw a tweet today by a mom of an 11 year old girl. They were in a coffee shop, and they watched a very good looking construction worker enter the shop.

The 11 year old girl told her mom, "I don't know what he fixes, but whatever it is, mine is broken."
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
filly

Post by filly »

I've been watching the cross-examination of Robert Durst in his latest murder trial. I find it fascinating. The prosecutor is ultra-prepared and has gotten Durst to say he's lied under oath before and would lie again about the murders of all three people he murdered. Sadly, there is no court today.
Tiredretiredlawyer

His first questions to Durst were the BEST cross examination I have ever heard. It was a classic "sit down now and shut up" cross.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Foggy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:49 pm Iris Elba. Need I say more? :daydreaming:
Idris Elba. People's Sexiest Man of the Year. One of my favorite actors since seeing him in Guy Ritchie's Rock n' Rolla. He plays Luther in "Luther".
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:27 am
Foggy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 pm
Idris Elba. People's Sexiest Man of the Year. One of my favorite actors since seeing him in Guy Ritchie's Rock n' Rolla. He plays Luther in "Luther".
And Stringer Bell on The Wire. My favorite Stringer Bell scene (and some of the best writing ever on the tee-vee) was the scene about the forty degree day.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:27 am
Luther is where I saw him for the first time. Loved that show. Crazy Alice was great too.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Forty degree day! Fabulous writing and delivery. :biggrin:
filly

Post by filly »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:23 am His first questions to Durst were the BEST cross examination I have ever heard. It was a classic "sit down now and shut up" cross.
But it's been going on for 3 days and will continue on Monday!

It's been fun to watch DeGuerin in a California courtroom. He frequently makes objections that the Judge tells him are not valid objections. He is certainly not getting the freedom to roam he gets in Texas courtrooms. He was particularly crazed yesterday with the prosecutor was drilling down on Durst wife's alleged call to her med school the day after Durst probably murdered her (it's long been the theory that Susan Berman made that call pretending to be Kathy Durst). The judge finally told DeGuerin to sit down [and shut up].
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:42 am But it's been going on for 3 days and will continue on Monday!

It's been fun to watch DeGuerin in a California courtroom. He frequently makes objections that the Judge tells him are not valid objections. He is certainly not getting the freedom to roam he gets in Texas courtrooms. He was particularly crazed yesterday with the prosecutor was drilling down on Durst wife's alleged call to her med school the day after Durst probably murdered her (it's long been the theory that Susan Berman made that call pretending to be Kathy Durst). The judge finally told DeGuerin to sit down [and shut up].
I haven’t been following this. I watched The Jinx on HBO, and then saw that he got arrested shortly after that. But I haven’t been following the trial at all. Why in the world is he testifying? Does the defense feel like they have to explain what he said on the documentary when he didn’t know he was being recorded? It’s been a while since I watched it, but it wasn’t terribly clear to me and that that confession was necessarily that incriminating. I may be misremembering, but I remember thinking at the time that there were a number of ways that comment could’ve been interpreted.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:yeahthat:

Durst likes to have an audience. It's a shame he's a good storyteller.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:54 am :yeahthat:

Durst likes to have an audience. It's a shame he's a good storyteller.
Yeah, shame for him.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”