Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:43 am Hannibal. Netflix.

Jeez, there’s a lot of dark :shit: in Thomas Harris’s mind. It on display here, well fleshed out :mrgreen: by the writers and Brian Fuller.

I like Mads Mikkelson in the titular role. Watching Hannibal go from supremely, serenely confident as he feeds bits of his victims to his FBI colleagues then less and less confident as the profiler Will Graham gets closer to figuring it all out is very satisfying. His characterization is perfection. I wonder if he got the willies every night?

It’s erudite snd sophisticated and gory as hell.

Don’t watch if you’re allergic to gore. I mean it.
I like tasteful gore, but I'm allergic to a lot of it. I think I'll pass on this one. I'm always weighing between loving a good scary move/show and one with too much gore.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Travelers (Netflix series 2016)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651844 (8.1 rating)
Hundreds of years from now, surviving humans discover how to send consciousness back through time, into people of the 21st century, while attempting to change the path of humanity.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80105699

Yeah, if you haven't figured out, I like sci-fi and mind-bending stuff.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:18 am Travelers (Netflix series 2016)

Hundreds of years from now, surviving humans discover how to send consciousness back through time, into people of the 21st century, while attempting to change the path of humanity.

One our favs too. We got on board because Will (from Will and Grace) was the lead.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:35 am
neonzx wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:18 am Travelers (Netflix series 2016)

One our favs too. We got on board because Will (from Will and Grace) was the lead.
I know, right? :lol: And it's so different from his gay Will character that could pass as straight in Will and Grace. Probably the first time a gay character was not presented as a stereotype "gay" by hollywood. ;) I love him in this Travelers series, and all the lead actors.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Just watched Deadwater Fell. Stars David Tennant. :lovestruck:

I highly recommend the series.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Glitch (Australian series on Netflix) (2015–2019)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192782/ (7.3 rating)
A police officer and a doctor face an emotionally charged mystery when seven local residents inexplicably return from the dead in peak physical form.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80108495
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Probably a spin off will be coming to a TV near you...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-08/ ... /100125806

Prank TV show Tannab Raslan, featuring 'militants' threatening to detonate fake suicide vests, taken off air in Iraq

Responding to viewer outrage, Iraq's media regulator has cancelled a TV prank show that lured guests into simulated ambushes by militants, forcing participants and viewers to relive some of the terror and fear that were widespread under the rule of the Islamic State group.

Key points:
The show follows Iraqi celebrity guests, who are invited to what is described as a "charity event" but then fall prey under various scenarios to a staged ambush by actors playing militants
The ambush re-enactments include fake weapons and stunt explosions while the "militants" threaten to detonate fake suicide vests
The show was produced by the Popular Mobilization Forces, a government-backed umbrella group, which fought alongside Iraqi security forces against IS
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:52 pm Probably a spin off will be coming to a TV near you...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-08/ ... /100125806

Prank TV show Tannab Raslan, featuring 'militants' threatening to detonate fake suicide vests, taken off air in Iraq
WTF?!? This is when you wished public canings were commonly applied.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I watched I See You on Amazon Prime (I know, I know) last night. It is really good. I love a good thriller and this one is all kinds of twisty, turny, spooky, fun.

Bonus: Helen Hunt!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The Gloaming ended on Starz on Sunday night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And the scenery, Tasmania, was awesome. If you like a spooky mystery, you should like this.

I'm behind, but starting watching 11.22.63 on Hulu, and I'm enjoying that, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K

Post by LM K »

Binge watched The Serpent on Netflix.

It's very, very good.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I read Serpentine by Tommy Thompson, about that guy. Terrific book! I’ll have to check this out.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

"The Rain" (2018 series - 6.3 rating)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6656238
After a brutal virus wipes out most of the population, two young siblings embark on a perilous search for safety.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80154610
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Mrs. FRP and I watched Part 1 of Alex Gibney's The Crime of the Century documentary on HBO Max about the opioid crisis and Perdue Pharma last night. We were both spitting mad by the end of Part 1, and a couple parts made me feel physically ill. I knew a lot of the shady stuff that had gone on with Perdue, but I had no idea just how far the Sacklers had gone with it.

Deal a couple dime bags on the corner and they lock you up. Deal a hundred billion pills (not to mention killing 500,000 people) and you're a billionaire "pillar of the community."

:sick:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Love Death + Robots second season available now Netflix streaming. Two thumbs up!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Kim's Convenience has Hubby hooked. Toronto based story of Korean immigrants, their diverse neighborhood, Canadian born adult children, and wacky scenarios.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 am Mrs. FRP and I watched Part 1 of Alex Gibney's The Crime of the Century documentary on HBO Max about the opioid crisis and Perdue Pharma last night. We were both spitting mad by the end of Part 1, and a couple parts made me feel physically ill. I knew a lot of the shady stuff that had gone on with Perdue, but I had no idea just how far the Sacklers had gone with it.

Deal a couple dime bags on the corner and they lock you up. Deal a hundred billion pills (not to mention killing 500,000 people) and you're a billionaire "pillar of the community."

The second half will only make you more mad. :(
LM K

Post by LM K »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 am Mrs. FRP and I watched Part 1 of Alex Gibney's The Crime of the Century documentary on HBO Max about the opioid crisis and Perdue Pharma last night. We were both spitting mad by the end of Part 1, and a couple parts made me feel physically ill. I knew a lot of the shady stuff that had gone on with Perdue, but I had no idea just how far the Sacklers had gone with it.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know about this doc.

My niece became addicted to opiates about 6 years ago. She started with pills and moved on to heroin. She's finally clean. She's working hard to become a mom to her 2 daughters after losing custody of both of them.

I will watch the doc soon.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:44 am "The Rain" (2018 series - 6.3 rating)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6656238
After a brutal virus wipes out most of the population, two young siblings embark on a perilous search for safety.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80154610
This one was not my cup-of-tea even being sci-fi. The characters were hollow and the repetitive dialog completely dumb choices they made this exhausting (these actors could not own this because the script was poor). I made it through season 2 -- on season three, I went straight to episode six (the series finale). Terrible ending. I'm not blaming the actors, I blame the script.

So one of the reviews on IMDB mentioned to pass on "The Rain" and watch "DARK" (also Netflix) -- filmed in Germany, and has captions and audio-dub in multiple languages. Much more interesting.

"DARK" (2017) - 3 seasons

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/ (8.8 rating)
A family saga with a supernatural twist, set in a German town, where the disappearance of two young children exposes the relationships among four families.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80100172
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

LM K wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:14 am Binge watched The Serpent on Netflix.

It's very, very good.
I watched it, too! Also thought it was very good.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Here's a recommendation to *NOT* watch: Clovehitch Murders on Netflix.

Ugh. Bad writing, bad acting, slow developement, bad editing, bad directing, awful conclusion.

Great premise: unsolved serial killings that suddenly stopped ten years ago. The police have moved on but a High School Nancy Drew keeps at it until she solves it.

Indy Flick in the "Hidden Gems" category. The story has good possibilities, but it got ruined in this telling.
bob

Post by bob »

bill_g wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:58 am Love Death + Robots second season available now Netflix streaming. Two thumbs up!
I really enjoyed the first season. It is an anthology of animated shorts, so if a particular one isn't your cup of tea, just forward to the next one.
Image ImageImage
filly

Post by filly »

LM K wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:14 am Binge watched The Serpent on Netflix.

It's very, very good.
Thanks for mentioning this. The cover art was unappealing to me so I just passed it by. But now I'm watching it. It is awful that I find a (true) story about horrific things more soothing than watching the news.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Mrs read our Comcast cable bill, and noticed Peacock Premium was part of our package. So, she signed us up, and we've been drilling through it this last weekend. One show that stood out for me is "Yellowstone" starring Kevin Costner. It's a nighttime soap opera that is a blend of Dallas, Big Valley, Justified, Sopranos, and Dexter. Costner plays a rancher that has his own ranching fiefdom in Montana, and nothing happens without his consent. He has a dysfunctional family, and a fraternity of criminals to do his bidding. He does political and physical battle with all his neighbors.

I've made it to S1-E4. The machinations and convolutions are complicated, but reasonably well knit into the fabric of the story. I may stick around for the three seasons available one episode a night or so. I'm not a binger. Hopefully the writing stays interesting. The show signed for a fourth season suggesting the audience likes it well enough to renew. That's promising.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:19 am
Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 am Not Craw, Craw! :mrgreen:
See, that’s why I can’t go back and watch these old shows. It makes me cringe.

Don’t get me started on M*A*S*H*. I thought it was the funniest thing on TV. Now, though... [shudder].
I get that there's some of that, but that earlier time also gave us a lot of transcendent racial comedy that (I am convinced) could not be produced today. I'm thinking of Blazing Saddles in particular, also the work of Mel Brooks. There is simply no way a studio would allow that movie to be made now.

As for Get Smart, I grew up watching old episodes of that show with my parents. Quite a lot of it is still relevant now.

"Shrewd, determined men who've been trying to get control of this country for a number of years. Perhaps you've heard of them."

"Oh, you mean the Republicans."
We just finished binging Get Smart. It holds up, at least the first three seasons. Once Max and 99 get engaged/married/become parents, we don't see much of 99, other than washing dishes. Occasionally she pops up in the office acting more the receptionist than an agent. Still, someone told me 99 was the first example of a married mother working outside the home, so there's that. (previously, you had to be a widow to be a working mother.)

Another oldie that holds up is WKRP. I used to love Night Court but now it's unwatchable.

Also, I still have a girl crush on Eva Gabor on Green Acres. But skip the final season.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”