Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

wavey davey

Re: What are you watching?

Post by wavey davey »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:30 am Now that we've restarted Netflix for Lucifer, I see that The Kominsky Method season 3 is out and Kathleen Turner is back. I really love that show.
Oh yeah, Kominsky is great. Wavey Wifey and I watch an episode after we watch one of Peaky Blinders. Peaky can be grim and heavy at times, and it's nice to balance it out with the light hearted Kominsky.
Image Image ImageImage
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:30 am Now that we've restarted Netflix for Lucifer, I see that The Kominsky Method season 3 is out and Kathleen Turner is back. I really love that show.
i'm doing Lucifer season 5 presently, but I''ll have to check The Kominsky Method when I'm done.
:rotflmao:
Lucifer S5:E10 -- the episode is titled "Bloody Celestial Karaoke Jam" (they perform a number of songs (which is the kind of thing they don't normally do) -- fair warning: if you are not yet into Season 5, you may want to avoid this clip because of potential spoilers (I didn't see any, but just in case)...

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Binge watched The Undoing yesterday. Great cast. I recommend watching it. It's a limited series; 6 episodes.

Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant are brilliant as the main characters.

I'll probably watch it again to catch things I might have missed.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:24 am Hubby likes Peaky Blinders. I watch nits and pieces. The cinematography is fabulous. Then there is Cillian Murphy in the male lead. Enough said. :daydreaming:
I :lovestruck: Cillain Murphy!

The cinematography in Peaky Blinder is incredible.

Murphy's latest film is The Quiet Place II. I'm looking forward to watching the film.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:38 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 am
i'm doing Lucifer season 5 presently, but I''ll have to check The Kominsky Method when I'm done.
:rotflmao:
Lucifer S5:E10 -- the episode is titled "Bloody Celestial Karaoke Jam" (they perform a number of songs (which is the kind of thing they don't normally do) -- fair warning: if you are not yet into Season 5, you may want to avoid this clip because of potential spoilers (I didn't see any, but just in case)...

I LOVED that episode! Also, love the Allstate guy as "dad." Perfect!
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Welp, here I am.

Ragnarok

https://www.netflix.com/title/80232926 (Norway)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9251798

An ongoing Netflix mini-series (thus far 12 episodes over two years).
In a Norwegian town poisoned by pollution and rattled by melting glaciers, the End Times feel all too real. It’ll take a legend to battle an old evil.
Lead character is supposedly Son of Thor... OK.

It's dubbed in English.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Binged a bunch of these over the weekend. Also, I shopped for a street-legal M4 Sherman:

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

These dash-cams are becoming almost as popular as doorbell cams. :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

YouTube has a wonderful ability to get people to run down the rabbit hole. It can be a fun ride.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.nyadventureclub.com
Rachmaninoff: Piano's Golden Age Composer' Webinar w/ Steinway Artist

While many of us have heard the timeless compositions of Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff in American movie classics like Shine, Groundhog Day, and Somewhere in Time, who exactly was this world-renown composer of the late 19th / early 20th-century? What made his music capture the essence of the "Russian Soul?" And why did he flee Russia to the United States at the height of the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1918? It's time to explore the miraculous life story and works of one of the greatest composers of all time, with an exclusive listen to his monumental piano solo performed by one of today's best pianists.

Join New York Adventure Club as we explore the life and musical legacy of Steinway Artist Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff (1873-1943), one of the last great pianist–composers in a grand tradition stretching back to the Gilded Age.

Led by Steinway Artist Hsing-ay Hsu, this historical and musical journey teeming with exclusive piano demos and performances will experience:

A live listening demonstration using Hsing-ay’s Conscious Listening™ techniques, a step-by-step demonstration for a richer listening experience

A private Hi-Def video performance by Hsing-ay Hsu of the complete “Variations on a Theme by Chopin Op.22” by Rachmaninoff, broken into three segments and interwoven into the webinar
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
LM K

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:29 am These dash-cams are becoming almost as popular as doorbell cams. :thumbsup:
The Russian dashcam videos are the best!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Romeo and Juliet, Zeffelrelli version.

Eta, fix autocorrect.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Penguin Town on Netflix. I can’t stop watching.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Amazon has another Borat series, Borat's American Lockdown & Debunking Borat. Every time Jim and Jerry spout BS a symbol appears on the screen. Haven't gotten to HRC yet.
Debunking Borat’ Special Recruits Hillary Clinton to Speak With Conspiracy Theorists Duped in Film (Video)
Six-part documentary series featuring “Jim and Jerry” debuts May 25 on Amazon Prime Video
Brian Welk | May 20, 2021 @ 4:00 PM

In “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm,” Sacha Baron Cohen’s Borat spent several days locked down with two ordinary people named Jim and Jerry who spouted conspiracy theories about the coronavirus being manufactured in China and about Hillary Clinton. But for a new documentary short series called “Debunking Borat,” the “Borat” filmmakers meet up with Jim and Jerry again, and they sit them down with experts who try and debunk the conspiracies they believe and explain the ways they’ve been misled and misinformed. And a first teaser for the series shows that Jim and Jerry even come face to face with none other than Hillary Clinton herself.

“Debunking Borat” is a six-part documentary short special featuring Borat’s two roommates, and each episode focuses on a different idea that they shared with Baron Cohen during the course of the film. Among the conspiracies they hope to debunk are whether the vaccine includes a microchip, whether mail-in ballots were a scam, whether the coronavirus was manufactured in China, whatever is going on with Bill Gates and George Soros, and most of all the Clintons.

Announced along with “Debunking Borat” is a 40-minute cut of just Borat’s footage with Jim and Jerry at the height of the coronavirus pandemic called “Borat’s American Lockdown,” as well as a previously announced extended cut of “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” that includes deleted scenes from the moviefilm.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
LM K

Post by LM K »

Spycraft on Netflix. It's excellent!

If you were a fan of The Americans, you'll get very excited watching Spycraft.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Kanopy has some great films and you get six films a month free through most libraries in the US.

There's a terrific documentary about The Cockettes who performed in San Francisco in the late 60s. It has a tons of vintage footage and it's fun to see how the beautiful kids then look now (many still look great!) Film was from 2002.

Here's the trailer:

As the psychedelic San Francisco of the ’60’s began evolving into the gay San Francisco of the ’70’s, The Cockettes, a flamboyant ensemble of hippies (women, gay men, and babies) decked themselves out in gender-bending drag and tons of glitter for a series of legendary midnight musicals at the Palace Theater in North Beach. With titles like “Tinsel Tarts in a Hot Coma” and “Pearls over Shanghai”, these all singing, all dancing extravaganzas featured elaborate costumes, rebellious sexuality, and exuberant chaos.

The Cockettes were founded by “Hibiscus”, a member of a commune called KaliFlower that was dedicated to distributing free food and to creating free art and theater. They first performed as an informal group of friends in wild costumes doing a chorus line dance to “Honky Tonk Woman” at The Nocturnal Dream Shows, a weekly midnight eclectic film series at The Palace.

The chorus line quickly evolved into bigger, wilder, and more lavish productions, and the Cockettes’ shows fast became not-to-be-missed events for the hippest of San Francisco’s free spirits. The audiences were often as wild as the shows, generating tremendous energy. New shows were created every few weeks – “Paste on Paste”, “Gone with the Showboat to Oklahoma”, and “Tropical Heatwave/Hot Voodoo”, were some of the early titles. The early shows were mostly non-narrative revues, with everybody making their own costumes, and creative spontaneity reigning supreme. But with “Pearls Over Shanghai” the Cockettes produced their first show with all original script, music and lyrics. Combining grand spectacle with the endearing awkwardness of a high school operetta production, The Cockettes thrilled the audiences as much with their unpredictability as with their triumphs.
kanopy.com/video/cockettes
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
much ado

Post by much ado »

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Friday Night Lights (aka footbal drahmah soap) on Peacock.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Sweet Tooth on Netflix.

I'm addicted.
LM K

Post by LM K »

The mister and I are rewatching Stranger Things. We're both Gen X, and the soundtrack, clothes*, and hair** really takes us back to our teen years. I saw a dress that I wore in middle school in the final ep of season 2. 😳

*Gen X apologizes to the world for 80's fashion. It was horrendous.
**Thank dog my hair is super curly. I never had 80's hair. My little sister, however .....
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Bosch!!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

These 8 videos on one of the best recordings ever are quite interesting:

much ado

Post by much ado »

Just started...

The Queen's Gambit (2020, Netflix)
bob

Post by bob »

much ado wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 am Just started...

Started it as well. I'm enjoying it, but I also put it in the category of reimagined fiction. Although the attention to period details is great, there are some choices (about language, mores, etc.) that tend to make it feel like some of the story is more contemporary than the era it portrays.

Which is fine; there are many great "What if...." stories.
Image ImageImage
much ado

Post by much ado »

bob wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:41 am
much ado wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 am Just started...

Started it as well. I'm enjoying it, but I also put it in the category of reimagined fiction. Although the attention to period details is great, there are some choices (about language, mores, etc.) that tend to make it feel like some of the story is more contemporary than the era it portrays.

Which is fine; there are many great "What if...." stories.
True, but that's kind of expected. I'm just over halfway through the first episode. The memory it brings back to me, personally, is going outside to clean the blackboard erasers in the 1950s. Anyone else remember doing that?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”