What are you watching?

bob

Re: What are you watching?

Post by bob »

much ado wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:25 amTrue, but that's kind of expected.
Oh, I totally agree. I read some criticism of it that highlighted this lack of fidelity. Which was a ... fine ... observation, but also missing a lot by not seeing it as intentional.
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

much ado wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:25 am
bob wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:41 am
much ado wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 am Just started...

The Queen's Gambit (2020, Netflix)
Started it as well. I'm enjoying it, but I also put it in the category of reimagined fiction. Although the attention to period details is great, there are some choices (about language, mores, etc.) that tend to make it feel like some of the story is more contemporary than the era it portrays.

Which is fine; there are many great "What if...." stories.
True, but that's kind of expected. I'm just over halfway through the first episode. The memory it brings back to me, personally, is going outside to clean the blackboard erasers in the 1950s. Anyone else remember doing that?
Yes.
:biggrin:

It was considered a great honor to be chosen to clap the erasers.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Turner Classic Movies is running an Alfred Hitchcock marathon this weekend, and coming up this afternoon (3:00 PDT) is one of my favorites, The Trouble With Harry.

A very funny movie about a very dead body. A who didn't dunnit with a great cast: Shirley McClain, John Forsyth, Mildred Natwick, Edmund Gwenn, Royal Dano, and Jerry Mathers (not as the Beaver)
Image Image Image Image
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

Post by Walt Tuttle »

Late to the game, but enjoying Ted Lasso on Apple+.

I watch TV for either two things: to laugh, or to learn something. Hopefully to laugh and learn something. I'm just not "entertained" by people behaving badly. Ted Lasso is such an easy and enjoyable watch. Looking forward to the new season.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 am Turner Classic Movies is running an Alfred Hitchcock marathon this weekend, and coming up this afternoon (3:00 PDT) is one of my favorites, The Trouble With Harry.

A very funny movie about a very dead body. A who didn't dunnit with a great cast: Shirley McClain, John Forsyth, Mildred Natwick, Edmund Gwenn, Royal Dano, and Jerry Mathers (not as the Beaver)
Yes, that's a good one. Watched it years ago on VHS. I'll have to watch it again.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:49 pm
much ado wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:25 am
bob wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:41 am
Started it as well. I'm enjoying it, but I also put it in the category of reimagined fiction. Although the attention to period details is great, there are some choices (about language, mores, etc.) that tend to make it feel like some of the story is more contemporary than the era it portrays.

Which is fine; there are many great "What if...." stories.
True, but that's kind of expected. I'm just over halfway through the first episode. The memory it brings back to me, personally, is going outside to clean the blackboard erasers in the 1950s. Anyone else remember doing that?
Yes.
:biggrin:

It was considered a great honor to be chosen to clap the erasers.
The strange thing about the movie is that she is clapping them inside, in the basement. We never did that. It would get chalk dust all over the place. We always went outside, usually to a large square of concrete on the "girl's side" (separate playgrounds) that was surrounded and covered by shrubs and clap them and beat them against the concrete.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Mrs. FRP and I are watching Billions now that it has become available on Amazon Prime. We also very much enjoyed Clarkson's Farm on Prime, being huge fans of the Top Gear/Grand Tour series before.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

At 2130 tonight, "Cynical Historian" is hosting a Live YouTube event about getting academic historians interested in a "HistoryTube":

One of the participants is CH's father, Mark Hall-Patton of "Pawn Stars" fame.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 am Turner Classic Movies is running an Alfred Hitchcock marathon this weekend, and coming up this afternoon (3:00 PDT) is one of my favorites, The Trouble With Harry.

Sounds good. I just looked it up in the library data base and they have it on the shelf. I'll pick it up tomorrow.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Finally watched Casanova, the one with David Tennant, not Heath Ledger.* It also stars Peter O'Toole as the older Casanova. It's a two-part Masterpiece Theatre from the same year as HL flick. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I'm a fan of Tennant so I sprung for the 2.99 used DVD at the library bookstore about four years back.

Loved it. Very funny, mostly because of Tennant's charms. Not for the kiddies.

Apparently, this was the gig that snagged Tennant the role of The Tenth Doctor.

*Can't speak to the HL one, maybe it's good, too. His Joker still haunts me, the scariest villain on the ever on the screen.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Parasite is on Kanopy (the library movie site, you get 5 free films a month), the Korean film, only place we saw where that it's free. Hilarious film. They have a ton of great classic, foreign and docu films. This is the broward link, kanopy.com. https://browardlibrary.kanopy.com/video/parasite-2
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:39 pmBosch!!
Yeah, that last batch of episodes was pretty good.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America.

Two thumbs up. A bit of food, a bit of history, and an exploration of culture.

► Show Spoiler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I love the Bosch theme song.

🎶 Got a fever and I can’t let go
Got a fever and I can’t let go
Can't let go
Can’t let go 🎶
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

David Tennant :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Walt Tuttle wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:46 pm Late to the game, but enjoying Ted Lasso on Apple+.

I watch TV for either two things: to laugh, or to learn something. Hopefully to laugh and learn something. I'm just not "entertained" by people behaving badly. Ted Lasso is such an easy and enjoyable watch. Looking forward to the new season.
Ted Lasso is hilarious! My mister and I are hooked! We're binge watching it for the 2nd time ... in one week. (We watch way too much tv. :shh: )
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Amazon emailed me a couple days ago alerting me to "Leverage: Redemption" being available (July 9). Leverage is one of my favorite TV series and IMDB picked it up to continue. They assembled most of the original cast (minus Timothy Hutton). I'm going to give it a go but I'm ready to be let-down. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong...

https://www.amazon.com/Leverage-Redempt ... B095VW3H89

Original series opening credits:

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I liked the original, too. The cast had good energy with one another. I’m willing to bet the reboot will be just fine.

Sprout had a teacher in HS who looked just like Eliot (Christian Kane). The kids called him Thor. ;)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Kate520 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:34 pm I liked the original, too. The cast had good energy with one another. I’m willing to bet the reboot will be just fine.

Sprout had a teacher in HS who looked just like Eliot (Christian Kane). The kids called him Thor. ;)
LOL. All of the leading actors were spot-on in the original. (Eliot's kinda hot -- Orlylicious and I are going to fight over him :dance: )

So I just started watching episode #1 of Redemption. I'm gonna keep an open mind... and let it roll. I miss Nathan but I'll see if they can make this work.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

SHARK WEEK! on Discovery!!!!!!!!!!

Colossus won the JAWScars for best screening of a great white shark torpedoing out of the water to catch a baby seal. It was a fabulous, scare your bathing suit off, I'll never ever get in the water again, video.

Shark Trek follows William Shatner to three locations as he gradually becomes desensitized to sharks, including hammerheads, sawsharks, reef sharks and tiger sharks.

Who has is the biggest in the South Pacific? Watch intrepid shark experts return to measure the length of Slash (identified by a man caused rip on the left side of his mouth) and Phred (identified by his relatively undamaged dorsal fin and his loyal pilot fish - he could be a Disney Princess). It's a close one!

Who is Big Moe and why are you asking? Big Moe is the largest hammerhead on record and the shark experts have identified his siblings in the Florida Keys. Big Moe and his siblings are sighted regularly under the bridge to the Keys. The bridge supports make for excellent coral reef environments and Big Moe is the top predator there.

HOW CAN ANYONE NOT WATCH!!!!????????
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Yum!

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 pm HOW CAN ANYONE NOT WATCH!!!!????????
Let me count the ways:

1. Sharks are scary.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

1. Sharks are scary.
Oh. :bag:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Ever since Gavin MacLeod passed, we've had some fun watching the mindless and often funny The Love Boat. PlutoTV has a 24-hour channel with wall-to-wall Boat. What we like seeing are the old stars revived for it, Gavin talks a lot about the shooting in his book (which is free to borrow on Internet Archive). Ethel Merman, Charo and hundreds of others, the opening credits show whose on so it's easy to see what you're gonna get. If you like shows where you can be doing something else, The Love Boat delivers.

Paramount+ has a channel on Pluto TV, their Showcase channel has run some Perry Masons and then one day they ran a bunch of the 1960's Hawaii Five-Os. The H5Os are campy and funny, love seeing 60's and 70s Hawaii. The show ran from September 1968 to April 1980. There are a lot of stories about the making of the show, including about Jack Lord who had a piece of the action. Jack was insistent that the show use Hawaii natives, and depicted a lot of locations throughout Hawaii instead of soundstages and actors from the mainland. Fun fact about Jack: According to William Shatner, in 1966, Gene Roddenberry offered Lord the role of Captain James T. Kirk on Star Trek, to replace Jeffrey Hunter, whose wife was making too many demands. Lord asked for 50 percent ownership of the show, so Roddenberry offered the role to Shatner.

James MacArthur, "Danno", was born in Los Angeles and was the adopted son of playwright Charles MacArthur, and his wife actress Helen Hayes. Met James with Ms. Hayes, he was a cool guy. He was also married to Joyce Bulifant (Murray's wife on Mary Tyler Moore) from 1958 to 1968. He passed away at 72 October 28, 2010 in Jacksonville, Florida. He worked forever, his first radio part was with his Mom in Theatre Guild on the Air, in 1948. He was also pretty hunky. Here's Jim and Barbara Luna in Season 2 Episode 1, "A Thousand Pardons, You're Dead". Loretta Swit makes an appearance.

Mac Luna.jpg
Mac Luna.jpg (5.89 KiB) Viewed 2028 times

Not sure how or why, but all 200 episodes are on a site called mega-stream.to. The Barbara Luna episode is at https://mega-stream.to/tv/hawaii-fiveo-38782.129474. This is Season 1, Episode 0, guess the Pilot: https://mega-stream.to/tv/hawaii-fiveo-38782.129472 We've been enjoying them. Be there. Aloha.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

The White Lotus on HBO. Dysfunctional rich people vacationing in Maui. We have a trip to Maui booked next January so I'm enjoying it. Messed up people in beautiful scenery. Yes!

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”