Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:59 pm
Whatever4 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 am For people who like psychological thrillers ...
Those all sound so good. But I cannot - CAN NOT - watch subtitles. I have to be doing something with my hands (needlework, puzzles), so I can’t watch something that requires eyes in the screen at all times.
Same here. It's probably why we watch a lot of reruns. I listen to tv with my tablet in my lap.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't follow this thread as regularly as I should but my tastes are more...juvenile than most here.

That said, please watch What We Do In The Shadows. I'm serious. It's a mockumentary about vampires. The original movie was from New Zealand, then Hulu turned it into a series. The movie was good, but, honestly, the series is much better, but probably only because of the bigger budget. It follows the antics of a Vlad-like vampire, his familiar, an Interview-With-The-Vampire influenced couple and something they call an energy vampire, which I'm not sure is a thing they just made up for the show, but he's so freakin' funny I can't stand it. Not his lines, his behavior. A lot of the humor comes from interaction/reaction among the housemates. And the "camera crew" is part of the laughs in that the show realizes having a camera crew in these various situations isn't believable. (after rescuing his housemates from certain death in the bottom of a well, Collin turns to his cameraman and tells him, "You really need to get your people out of that well. They're going to die down there.")

Anyhoo, they share a mansion in Staten Island. Season 3 starts in August.

Spoiler alert
► Show Spoiler
Apologies if I've hawked WWDITS here before. My brain not work so good.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Slim- I have a friend who loves all things vampire. I, too, also, love "juvenile" movies. I have a 13 year old boy's appreciation for such films. A must see for you is The Mitchells Versus the Machines.. Thank dog for grandchildren who keep one updated on the new releases.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:50 am Slim- I have a friend who loves all things vampire. I, too, also, love "juvenile" movies. I have a 13 year old boy's appreciation for such films. A must see for you is The Mitchells Versus the Machines.. Thank dog for grandchildren who keep one updated on the new releases.
Just added it to the list. Thanks!

And, yes, thank dog. Grandchildren turned us onto Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron and, my all-time fav, Fairly Odd Parents, to which I have been known to literally LOL. I think we discussed here the cartoon Emperor's New Groove, which is the funniest cartoon ever made (sorry Pixar, you're good, but you're not Emperor's New Groove good).

I know there's a lot of good drama out there, but I just can't. It brings me down, especially before bed. I need my television to be either funny or unrealistically escapist. I do love a good action movie, as long as there's not too much gore.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I'm a llama!!!!! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We gave up cable about 10 years ago. We stream etc. The TV IS not on all that much except in the evenings, because it’s not so easy to plunk yourself down and flip through the channels when there are elebenty billion choices rather than 27.

I’m not sure how I missed this series. It was on for six years! I don’t remember hearing a peep. How to Get Away With Murder with Viola Davis. It’s the first show in ages I’ve watched without my phone in my hand.

She is a criminal defense lawyer how teaches a class at (Temple? Penn State? A university in Philly) called HTGAWM, chosing 5 promising students to be her Squad.

Well. These kids get real life experience, all right. The bodies are piling up and they don’t all belong to her clients. The characters and relationships are well-drawn and we don’t always see the twists coming. Several times we both yelled ‘WHAT?!?’ In unison at a scene. Not like ‘Oh, that would never happen’ but more in recognition of great story telling. The cast is superb.

We just finished Season 1.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

If I can't record it, I won't watch it. One hour shows are 44 minutes long when you strip out the commercials. I was watching a Season 1 Sea Hunt episode on Youtube the other night. That half hour episode had 28 minutes of real programming.
Il factotum
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:44 pm If I can't record it, I won't watch it. One hour shows are 44 minutes long when you strip out the commercials. I was watching a Season 1 Sea Hunt episode on Youtube the other night. That half hour episode had 28 minutes of real programming.
Over the decades, we got more and more commercial programming. You can even see it where shows are trying to squeeze in the opening credits into the actual show for time reasons.. You get about 70% of actual show time, and 30% of Mike Lindelll.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:50 am Slim- I have a friend who loves all things vampire. I, too, also, love "juvenile" movies. I have a 13 year old boy's appreciation for such films. A must see for you is The Mitchells Versus the Machines.. Thank dog for grandchildren who keep one updated on the new releases.
Add Army of the Dead to your watchlist. It's a hilarious dramady about zombies.

I loved it!
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:01 pm
zekeb wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:44 pm If I can't record it, I won't watch it. One hour shows are 44 minutes long when you strip out the commercials. I was watching a Season 1 Sea Hunt episode on Youtube the other night. That half hour episode had 28 minutes of real programming.
Over the decades, we got more and more commercial programming. You can even see it where shows are trying to squeeze in the opening credits into the actual show for time reasons.. You get about 70% of actual show time, and 30% of Mike Lindelll.
Which is why I stream from sekrit squirrel overseas sites.

The only commercial tv I watch is football.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

LM K wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 pm Add Army of the Dead to your watchlist. It's a hilarious dramady about zombies.

I loved it!
I watched that over the weekend. Awesome! :rotflmao: The opening scene includes a phenomenal crash sequence that blew me away.I don't have that clip, but here we are..

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just resubscribed to Netflix to finish off Lucifer and saw they have Total Drama Island, a hilarious cartoon riff of Survivor.

Geared to a teen audience, but plenty of laughs to go around.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

As we continue to drill through Peacock, I came across the crime thriller Mr. Mercedes based on a Stephen King trilogy. It's not Mrs' cuppa, but I'm enjoying King's blend of whacko imagination and gumshoe. Fansites demonstrate there are no fence sitters for this show. Three (ten episode) seasons for your binging delight.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

We're about a third of the way through season 3 of Peter Gunn on Amazon Prime. They were so cheap with the sets that in 'tonights' episode they re-used Peter Gunn's apartment interior for a Tattoo Parlor and thought nobody would notice! They've been using the same exterior sets over and over again (I think it was the back lot at Culver City), but that is just weird.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Those shows were prior to home video recorders. They depended upon the audience having a week between episodes to fog the memory a bit. Lucy and Ricky's home had subtle changes all the time as if the set was randomly selected. Easily noticed when your wife buys the complete set of DVD's, but probably not so much when dribbled out on commercial TV.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I watched a Peter Gunn (racy entendre, ya?) episode recently, but didn't enjoy it like I did last century. Except the music - classic Mancini.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Finished watching Mare of Easttown Sunday night. Truly satisfying. Great acting. Kate Winslet was terrific, but so was everybody else.

I'm out of series that I'm watching now. I'll have to go look at Netflix or Prime or something else. I'm not real good at binge watching, so I'll just have to pick out something that I can watch over time, although that would be my time, not necessarily network time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We’re looking forward to finishing Mare. I agree with everything you said. :biggrin:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 am As we continue to drill through Peacock, I came across the crime thriller Mr. Mercedes based on a Stephen King trilogy. It's not Mrs' cuppa, but I'm enjoying King's blend of whacko imagination and gumshoe. Fansites demonstrate there are no fence sitters for this show. Three (ten episode) seasons for your binging delight.
We finished S2 last night. I loved the surprise ending. Was not expecting that at all, and it makes me think the fansite people that poo-poo'd S2 didn't watch S2.
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

Wavey Wifey and I have been greatly enjoying Peaky Blinders on Netflix. Very well done, and with an *excellent* soundtrack. Highly recommended.
Image Image ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hubby likes Peaky Blinders. I watch bits and pieces. The cinematography is fabulous. Then there is Cillian Murphy in the male lead. Enough said. :daydreaming:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

keith wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:42 am We're about a third of the way through season 3 of Peter Gunn on Amazon Prime. They were so cheap with the sets that in 'tonights' episode they re-used Peter Gunn's apartment interior for a Tattoo Parlor and thought nobody would notice! They've been using the same exterior sets over and over again (I think it was the back lot at Culver City), but that is just weird.
Reminds me of the original Doctor Who sets. They were so cheesy, they made Star Trek look like advanced CGI. But that's what I loved about them.

I remember one particular episode, Season One with the first Doctor, where the companions had to scoot along a narrow cliff, but the camera never showed their feet.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Now that we've restarted Netflix for Lucifer, I see that The Kominsky Method season 3 is out and Kathleen Turner is back. I really love that show.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:30 am Now that we've restarted Netflix for Lucifer, I see that The Kominsky Method season 3 is out and Kathleen Turner is back. I really love that show.
i'm doing Lucifer season 5 presently, but I''ll have to check The Kominsky Method when I'm done.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I've watched too many 'heavy' things lately (even tried Invincible, but found the edginess and gore a bit too offputting to enjoy the narrative, among other things....), so finally got around to giving Aggretsuko a try and am really enjoying it. Nice light series, still adult, but not "A"dult, and has a surprisingly healthy non-rom-com approach to relationships.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”