What are you watching?

filly

Re: What are you watching?

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:49 am

I haven’t been following this. I watched The Jinx on HBO, and then saw that he got arrested shortly after that. But I haven’t been following the trial at all. Why in the world is he testifying? Does the defense feel like they have to explain what he said on the documentary when he didn’t know he was being recorded? It’s been a while since I watched it, but it wasn’t terribly clear to me and that that confession was necessarily that incriminating. I may be misremembering, but I remember thinking at the time that there were a number of ways that comment could’ve been interpreted.
I haven't been following this either because there's been little media reporting about it, then I saw something about him being cross-examined. The "confession" may be ambiguous, but Durst denied writing that letter to the "Beverley Hills" PD, said whomever wrote it was clearly the murderer, then eventually admitted he wrote it. There's a ton of other stuff too.

He is testifying, I think, (a) because he bamboozled a Texas jury by testifying and (b) he probably insisted on doing so again.

He lied about being in Southern California when Susan Berman was murdered. That's a big problem for the defense too.

That said, I don't know what the jury looks like. And typical of California, this case has been going on forever.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I often think of the former guy when I see Durst. And vice versa.

I (barely) remember the original missing wife, and had heard things about him over the years, so I watched The Jinx, too. I might have to watch the cross exam just to see his old attorney from Texas. I'm glad to hear it's not going so well for him. I hope it also doesn't go well for Durst. On Monday, I'll have to remember to watch the rest of the cross exam.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The Capture on Peacock Streaming.

Tagline: Seeing is deceiving
Tagline: Make it true

A BBC police procedural mini-series in six parts that delves into the murky world of deep fakes, state players, opposing elements, and spycraft. Well scripted with some good meat on it's bones for you chew on as you try to figure it out.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... nor-first/
Trailer at link.
PREMIERES SEPTEMBER 13, 2021
Sandra Day O'Connor: The First
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I'm going to offer up a "What not to Watch": Intergalactic on Peacock in eight episodes.

Genre: Sci-fi, drama, near future, space travel, strong female lead

Tagline: Destined for the dust bin

I really really wanted to like this show. There was something about it that drew me in. If they make a second season, I'll probably watch it hoping for the best. And if they don't, I won't be disappointed.

It's Bri-ish. Very very Bri-ish. They stress that accent so much, I thought they were ridiculing it. Maybe thuh le-er T was missing from the wri-ers keyboard, and thuh actuhs juss ran wid id. I dunno. A few characters spoke in proper (posh) English. Most needed subtitles.

Lots of women actors in this. Lots. In all the important roles. The women were all badasses too. The few male characters seemed meek, and unsure in comparison. The women were involved in all the requisite action scenes: fist fights, shoot outs, tumbles through the yard. No karate though. Those skills seemed to be lost in this world. The Matrix it is not.

A big slice of life too. White people are distinctly a minority. People of all races are in positions of authority and all of them seemed ready to command a battle, cut a throat (literally and figuratively), or commit a treachery.

It had a very low budget set. That really didn't bother me. It screamed the writers wanted the audience to engage their imaginations. They were saying "We wrote something great here, and we want you to have fun with it in your mind." It didn't.

Strong LGBTQ kitchen sink element as well. But, I have to warn the producers that Queer people are not zoo creatures you can trot out for public display so you can claim how cool you are. Not with writing this bad. Everyone wants good TV, not just straight people.

Moving onward. YMMV.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Watching the Paralympics - wheelchair rugby. Lots of crashes and pile ups. The wheelchair mechanics are very overworked tonight. Looks like GB will get the gold, US silver.... Yep, that's what just happened.

Next up - track.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Weather Channel. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just watched Prime's new Cinderella. Loved it. Great cast, beautifully diverse, contemporary music, lots of dancing and a twist you've never seen in any Cinderella story, no matter how modernized.

This Ella dreams not of being a princess, but of being a dress designer.
► Show Spoiler
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Watching Tony Robinson go around the world by train:

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:43 pm Watching Tony Robinson go around the world by train:

Its not bad. Its played at least three times on Australian FTA already and I think they're half way through the fourth. Then again so has every other 'around the world on the train' series out there. And there's a bunch of 'em.

I quite liked Robinson's trip through Mexico to Ciudad Juarez/ El Paso. But he got on the train in El Paso and didn't get off until LA and didn't make one remark about the scenery or history or nothin'. He could have stopped in Tucson along the way and repeated tall tales about Cowboys, Indians, Airplane graveyards, the Gun Fight at the OK corral, the biggest Rose bush in the world (those last two in Tombstone), etc. After all, he's got a lot of Blackadder fans in Tucson.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Intergalactic Premiere Date/Status
Intergalactic SEASON 2 Cancelled On Sky One
Intergalactic Season 2 release date – CANCELLED AFTER ONE SEASON

https://releasestv.com/intergalactic-se ... %20More%20
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

keith wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:28 pm He could have stopped in Tucson along the way and repeated tall tales about Cowboys, Indians, Airplane graveyards, the Gun Fight at the OK corral, the biggest Rose bush in the world (those last two in Tombstone), etc.
90+ percent of what I've seen as the history of that area is so incorrect, so dime-store novel level, sucks so badly as actual factual history that it drives me insane. Tony not repeating it is a blessing.
keith

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:57 pm
keith wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:28 pm He could have stopped in Tucson along the way and repeated tall tales about Cowboys, Indians, Airplane graveyards, the Gun Fight at the OK corral, the biggest Rose bush in the world (those last two in Tombstone), etc.
90+ percent of what I've seen as the history of that area is so incorrect, so dime-store novel level, sucks so badly as actual factual history that it drives me insane. Tony not repeating it is a blessing.
That is true, but it does make 'good' TV. Airplane graveyard and giant rose bushes are pretty myth proof stuff though. And he does like good food.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:56 pm Intergalactic Premiere Date/Status
Intergalactic SEASON 2 Cancelled On Sky One
Intergalactic Season 2 release date – CANCELLED AFTER ONE SEASON

https://releasestv.com/intergalactic-se ... %20More%20
The world is all the better for this news.
filly

Post by filly »

We watched Hit & Run on Netflix a few weeks ago and loved it. It's an Israeli series about spies and is different than the usual fare. Because we longed for Season 2 my husband found another series with the same lead actor (Lior Raz, who also developed the series) called Fauda. It's also a spy thriller and we are loving it. While the production value isn't as sophisticated as Hit & Run, the story line is even better.

Lior Raz is an Israeli actor who is also of Iraqi descent. While a teenager his girlfriend was stabbed to death in Jerusalem, according to Wikipedia. He promptly joined the IDF and the bases for the shows emanate from his own experiences.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:49 am We watched Hit & Run on Netflix a few weeks ago and loved it. It's an Israeli series about spies and is different than the usual fare. Because we longed for Season 2 my husband found another series with the same lead actor (Lior Raz, who also developed the series) called Fauda. It's also a spy thriller and we are loving it. While the production value isn't as sophisticated as Hit & Run, the story line is even better.

Lior Raz is an Israeli actor who is also of Iraqi descent. While a teenager his girlfriend was stabbed to death in Jerusalem, according to Wikipedia. He promptly joined the IDF and the bases for the shows emanate from his own experiences.
I, too, watched Hit and Run a few weeks ago -- really good. Thanks for the recommend of Fauda... I'll toss it in my queue. :thumbsup:
filly

Post by filly »

neonzx wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:40 am

I, too, watched Hit and Run a few weeks ago -- really good. Thanks for the recommend of Fauda... I'll toss it in my queue. :thumbsup:
I should add you need to stick with it. After Episode 1 there are a few kinda boring episodes but in retrospect they set the table for the excellent ones that follow.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235007347/
LeVar Burton’s ‘Reading Rainbow’ to Be Celebrated in ‘Butterfly in the Sky’ Doc

The documentary film from XTR will chronicle the journey of the legendary children’s television program and feature interviews with former host Burton along with others involved in the show.

After making its debut in 1983, the famed television program Reading Rainbow went on to achieve a 26-year run, became the most-watched PBS program in the classroom and win over 250 awards including 26 Emmys, the George Foster Peabody Award, among other honors. Now the program will be celebrated in a new documentary called Butterfly in the Sky from studio XTR.

According to XTR, the documentary film, currently in production, is set to chronicle the journey of the educational children’s television program and aims to “honor the show’s legacy and teach younger generations about this milestone in television history in our current era of distance learning.”

The film will feature archival footage and interviews with Reading Rainbow host LeVar Burton along with the major broadcasters, educators, and filmmakers involved in the show that encouraged a love of books and reading among children.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

I just watched "Come From Away" on TV+ The story of Gander Newfoundland on 9/11. I highly recommend it.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:42 am
That is true, but it does make 'good' TV. Airplane graveyard and giant rose bushes are pretty myth proof stuff though. And he does like good food.
I'd watch Sir Tony read the London phone book. I binge all of his series I can find on YouTube. The trip across Australia to visit WWI/WWII places was a) historically accurate and b) touching and interesting TV.
keith

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 pm
keith wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:42 am
I'd watch Sir Tony read the London phone book. I binge all of his series I can find on YouTube. The trip across Australia to visit WWI/WWII places was a) historically accurate and b) touching and interesting TV.
100% agreed. Though he does get rather predictable after the 4th viewing. :whistle:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

qbawl wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:40 pm I just watched "Come From Away" on TV+ The story of Gander Newfoundland on 9/11. I highly recommend it.
When we planned our NYC trip (two years ago, before covid) my Manhattan step-sister wanted me to attend Come From Away with her. It would be her seventh time. I said no initially, not wanting to see something I thought would be depressing but she talked me into it.

It is the best play I've ever seen.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd thought Lucifer ended its run last summer but one last season just popped up on Netflix so we eagerly tuned in.

Forced myself thru three episodes. I've made it this far so I'll keep going, hoping it will get better, but unless you're a die-hard Lucifer fan, don't waste your time.

ImageImageImage x4
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 am
qbawl wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:40 pm I just watched "Come From Away" on TV+ The story of Gander Newfoundland on 9/11. I highly recommend it.
When we planned our NYC trip (two years ago, before covid) my Manhattan step-sister wanted me to attend Come From Away with her. It would be her seventh time. I said no initially, not wanting to see something I thought would be depressing but she talked me into it.

It is the best play I've ever seen.
My wife who is very active as a producer in community theater locally wanted me to join her to see it when a touring company was in town. I declined for similar reasons to yours. Later I heard the soundtrack and have been wanting to see it ever since. Last night I got my chance. Outstanding! So many wonderful stories amid the tragedy.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”