Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Come On Down! Game Shows Classic and New

MN-Skeptic

Come On Down! Game Shows Classic and New

Post by MN-Skeptic »

In the past few days I've started watching some of the episodes of The Price is Right from 1982 on Pluto TV. Oh my! The hair styles, the fashions, the prizes, the CARS! 1982 cars.

The cars are mostly less than $10,000. I didn't catch the model of the car one woman won tonight, but I did notice that it was $6,750.

It's fun to see the appliances - a harvest gold colored refrigerator or an Amana Radarange. I got rid of my Amana Radarange in 2018, I think we bought it in 1980.

Pluto TV is free. I haven't explored a lot of their channels, but it's fun to see what they have. I access it on my TV with a Roku stick and I have its app loaded on my iPad for watching in the bedroom.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Come On Down! Game Shows Classic and New

Post by zekeb »

Brand New Cars! Which are somehow different from mere New Cars.
Il factotum
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I love my Pluto TV. The sub-section "Home & DIY" has Americans Test Kitchen, This Old House, Ask This Old House, Anthony Bourdain, and various British cooking shows. I skip around on the news sub-section and catch Doc Martin under Entertainment.

I don't have a TV and have adjusted just fine and dandy watching on my cell. Mostly though, I listen to NPR in Michigan Radio.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I've been watching a few episodes of What's My LIne? (1950-1967 version) every night since around Christmas.

As I kid I loved it, but rarely saw it, as 10:30 Sunday night was not in the cards very often. So when it showed up on YouTube, I started dipping in. Got so enraptured by the cast that I decided to watch all 800 or so extant episodes in order.

I'm currently in July 1959. I love all the panelists, but have given my heart to Arlene Francis.

I just adore this show.

:heart:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

What's My Line is the greatest! Had a high school teacher that used to go to the Ed Sullivan Theatre every week to watch the show and stand in the alley afterward to get autographs, the cast got to know him. Wonderful guy, took me to some of my first Broadway shows. And he did a mean Patti Lupone :lol:

The Wall S4 E5 is KD and CJ, KD had a cute viral video called The Fridge Again!!
875,213 views•Aug 12, 2020

Here's their episode, they are really sweet people.

https://www.nbc.com/the-wall/video/kd-and-cj/4303670
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Terrific letter from Monty Hall about how to be a good game show host. The poster, timrunshismouth, is a rwnj, he's on my clowns Twitter list, but this was a non-political detente :lol:

Monty.jpg
Monty.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke

Post by Luke »

Somebody uploaded some new episodes of Golden Balls to YouTube and this is a terrific episode!

Also a good show:

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The only game show I ever enjoyed was Hollywood Squares and that was a million years ago when it featured Paul Lynde, Wally Cox and Charlie Weaver.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:37 am Somebody uploaded some new episodes of Golden Balls to YouTube and this is a terrific episode!
I've never seen this show before, but I couldn't get into it. It moves way to0 slow, imo.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

My mom was on Let's Make a Deal in the 60's. We lived several miles from the NBC studio in Burbank. My oldest brother went on to work there for 36 years as a tape editor. Anyway, Monty picked Mom and offered her a choice of what was in the box Jay Stewart had or what Carol Merrill would be wearing when she came down the isle. Mom chose Carol. In the box was $500. Carol came out wearing an old beat up raccoon coat that was worn to the very first Rose Bowl game. Zonk! But after the show, they asked Mom if she really wanted the coat or would she prefer something else, like $500 worth of gas. Of course, she took the gas which was mailed to her in the form of a credit card. A few weeks later she got a second card. She was going to send it back but my dad said to keep it and see if they ask for it back. They never did, so she ended up with $1000 from Shell Oil company. That second card came in handy when our old Ford Falcon station wagon needed tires. Mom also wrote Monty Hall a nice thank you note.

Two other family friends got on the show as well. One won a station wagon, but she had to sell it to help pay the income tax on it. The other friend zonked out and won two goats, but after the show they gave her a china hutch filled with china instead. So all the folks who zonked out on TV actually went home with nice prizes.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

poplove wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:40 pm Two other family friends got on the show as well. One won a station wagon, but she had to sell it to help pay the income tax on it.
Great story, poplove!

I think many contestants don't realize until after they win that they owe income tax on the value of their prize(s).
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:56 pm
poplove wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:40 pm Two other family friends got on the show as well. One won a station wagon, but she had to sell it to help pay the income tax on it.
Great story, poplove!

I think many contestants don't realize until after they win that they owe income tax on the value of their prize(s).
That's an accurate assessment. Also, Mom had to sign legal documents after the show. She could never be on the show again and she couldn't go on another game show for a year. And possibly a tax form, but I don't remember my folks talking about that.
Luke

Post by Luke »

poplove wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:40 pm My mom was on Let's Make a Deal in the 60's. We lived several miles from the NBC studio in Burbank. My oldest brother went on to work there for 36 years as a tape editor. Anyway, Monty picked Mom and offered her a choice of what was in the box Jay Stewart had or what Carol Merrill would be wearing when she came down the isle. Mom chose Carol. In the box was $500. Carol came out wearing an old beat up raccoon coat that was worn to the very first Rose Bowl game. Zonk! But after the show, they asked Mom if she really wanted the coat or would she prefer something else, like $500 worth of gas. Of course, she took the gas which was mailed to her in the form of a credit card. A few weeks later she got a second card. She was going to send it back but my dad said to keep it and see if they ask for it back. They never did, so she ended up with $1000 from Shell Oil company. That second card came in handy when our old Ford Falcon station wagon needed tires. Mom also wrote Monty Hall a nice thank you note.

Two other family friends got on the show as well. One won a station wagon, but she had to sell it to help pay the income tax on it. The other friend zonked out and won two goats, but after the show they gave her a china hutch filled with china instead. So all the folks who zonked out on TV actually went home with nice prizes.
Great story! My Mom was on LMAD in 1971, she was a Pink Pixie on the display floor and my Dad was up in the audience. She's tiny and the game was to get the most cash out a bowl -- she was up against a huge lady dressed as a pumpkin! The pumpkin got the most cash, but Mom made the right trade for a living room set and made it to the Big Deal. Dad came down and together they got the #2 deal, more furniture (including an Eams lounger which we had for years) and a crazy stereo egg chair. Plus $50 of Rice A Roni, the San Francisco treat, which was like 20 cartons, as a kid I got really sick of it! Turns out the announcer mentioned they were having kids week on The Jokers Wild, my folks took me down and ended up on the show and won at age 8. After that, I knew I wanted to be in entertainment. Jack Barry was great and the contestant coordinators ended up at Goodson Todman -- Richard Dawson taught me to play Backgammon and I helped pull the doors that opened with the families on Family Feud. Had the best time.

Neon, Golden Balls is an acquired taste, somebody here mentioned it a few years ago... love the accents and the lying but you have to be in the right mood for sure. You can also skip the filler explanations and it moves along. There's a really interesting game theory exercise at the end of the show (Split or Steal) that has been academically reviewed and quite interesting in how the contestants deal with the dilemma. The recent show The Hustler has a similar pace and lying, Craig Ferguson's show, episodes are at https://abc.com/shows/the-hustler
Hosted by Emmy Award-winning host, actor, writer and comedian Craig Ferguson ("The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson"), "The Hustler" breaks the game show mold by featuring one player who secretly already knows the answers. Don't be fooled. Just because they have a leg up doesn't mean they'll be taking home the prize. Each episode of "The Hustler" follows five contestants as they collaborate to answer a series of trivia questions worth $10,000 each, with the goal of building a collective prize pot that increases with each correct answer. The catch? One of the five contestants, the Hustler, already knows the answers but must keep their identity a secret in order to have a shot at winning the grand prize. Throughout each episode, two contestants are anonymously eliminated by the Hustler, leaving three remaining contestants—the Hustler and two others, who must collectively decide who they think the Hustler is. If they are right, they share the prize pot that could be worth over $100,000. If the two contestants are wrong, the Hustler goes home with the full cash reward.
Neon, did you see the post that Pluto TV now has the Bob Barker TPIR episodes 24/7? Haven't been able to get into the new TPIR format so going back has been fun. It's here: https://pluto.tv/live-tv/tpir-the-barker-era

Still LOVE the 1960's What's My Line, had an opportunity to buy some of the sign in boards, have Mahalia Jackson, Rodgers & Hammerstein, and these dudes, Goodson Todman. Great fun to watch them sign just like they are on the wall. A great treat that so many are on YouTube.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Was that the one with Dorothy Kilgallen? She was my neighbor's sister. He was a judge.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:57 pm Neon, Golden Balls is an acquired taste, somebody here mentioned it a few years ago... love the accents and the lying but you have to be in the right mood for sure. You can also skip the filler explanations and it moves along. There's a really interesting game theory exercise at the end of the show (Split or Steal) that has been academically reviewed and quite interesting in how the contestants deal with the dilemma.
I got half-way through the second-round (after Steve got voted off) and I gave up. I still don't understand what these "Killer" balls meant -- they didn't seem to wipe or affect anything --what do they do? And like I mentioned, the pace of the show (for me) was WAY too slow --I don't now need to hear life stories on-and-on.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Andy, yes, that What's My Line was with Dorothy. She had a wild story in real life, a fascinating character. This book by Lee Israel about her is free to borrow at the Internet Archive Library (which is a terrific resource, so many older titles not in print) https://archive.org/details/kilgallen00isra

Neon, stick around for the final round. The last round (Bin or Win) is where the action is, the Killer Balls reduce the possible jackpot which is why they work to eliminate them. The more killers, the more likely the final two lose everything.

Split or Steal is where the game theory comes in. Here's an explanation with statement analysis (geeky but it's why the show has a lot of followers):

And here's that full final round: Golden Balls - £100,000: Complete End Round Airdate 14/03/08

With 11 million views, this Split or Steal round pretty much wiped the show out; once somebody figured out how to manipulate the game theory, it became clear that lots would play it this way.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for the link about Dorothy Kilgallen. I know she had a fascinating history.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I've always liked "What's My Line" because the audience and home viewers could participate in guessing (like a little mystery).
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Actually, I just remembered I was a big fan of Password when Betty White was on. Decades later, they used footage of her (with an altered name tag) for an episode of Hot in Cleveland, which was a pretty good (not game) show in its own right, but it would have been better if they hadn't been so focused on finding a man. I also have a girl crush on Valerie Bertinelli.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Luke

Post by Luke »

This is hilarious! This is 1958 The Price Is Right with Bill Cullen. The value of the prizes for 1958 is incredible! This must have been a sensation. You won't believe the contestant who won, she is so funny. Won't give it away but for some fun check it out.

Luke

Post by Luke »

Here's a bonus Price Is Right show for any Don Pardo fans out there -- a 1958 episode with announcer Don Pardo. His wife had just given birth to their 6th daughter. If you only know him as the old SNL announcer, it's fun to see him as a young man (and Bill Cullen too).

Also a cool 1958 MG Sportscar! And a Cessna 172! Check out the prices episode-wide, amazing.

And a robot :lol:

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:11 am This is hilarious! This is 1958 The Price Is Right with Bill Cullen. The value of the prizes for 1958 is incredible! This must have been a sensation. You won't believe the contestant who won, she is so funny. Won't give it away but for some fun check it out.
Oh My!, that was fun. I've never watched a classic Price Is Right -- different format.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

You can watch those very old episodes of The Price is Right with Bill Cullen on Buzzr TV. They show three episodes, back to back, on Saturday mornings. They are at 9:30am, 10:10am, and 10:50am Central Time. This Saturday morning episodes will be from January 1959. I get BuzzrTV over the air here in the Twin Cities, but you can also watch it on their web site - https://buzzrtv.com/ - or find it streamed on PlutoTV or a number of other streaming services. The BuzzrTV website can point you at those services.

I always find it funny how prizes have changed over the years. I can't imagine a current game show offering a mink coat as a prize.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Absolutely MN, they are also on YouTube...

Jan 28, 1959: This has a "gay soda fountain": Gay Bar Soda Fountains of NY. And Howard Johnson Ice Cream. (Totally missed that HoJo bit the dust, the last location closed in 2017, in Lake George, NY. We used to hang out at the Times Square HoJos before/between shows.) Check out the job the winner ends up taking and why. It also has some of the original commercials. https://www.kiplinger.com/article/busin ... rants.html

Also has a 17 day First-Class via Sabena Air DC-7C trip to Europe for two. And a mink & 7 carats of diamonds. And a horse. And get a free Dove hairbrush if you buy 3 bars of "new" Dove soap. And, the World Premiere of Gidget with Sandra Dee, the whole premiere will be in the winner's home! The prizes on the nighttime Price is Right are so extravagant.

Dove.JPG
Dove.JPG (38.53 KiB) Viewed 3275 times

Here's the next one in sequence, The Price is Right (February 4, 1959 | #59_0012​)

Luke

Post by Luke »

This is for you, Neon -- 24 minutes on simply the Opening Entrance of TPIR and how it changed from the Barker Era to the Carey Era (pre COVID). He's right on the mark, it's funny somebody took the time to do this. And a good behind-the-scenes for anyone interested in how important a few seconds can be in TV.

The Price Is Right host entrance: a visual history

Here's the last episode of Bruce Forsyth's UK version, "Bruce's Price Is Right"

Australia (No Contestants's Row):

France (Parts 1 & 2):

And here's TPIR Thailand! They follow the format, it's fun. 4 winners, wheel, just one showcase (follows UK's showcase rule).

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”