Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Internet Outages

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Internet Outages

Post by Luke »

Damn you, Mike Lindell!
Updated 6 hours ago - Technology
Major news, social media sites back online after massive internet outage
Fadel Allassan

Dozens of major websites — including The New York Times, CNN, Reddit, Spotify, Twitch, GitHub, gov.uk, Hulu, HBO Max, PayPal, Vimeo, Shopify — were beginning to return online Tuesday morning after crashing in an apparent internet outage.

What's happening: The cause of the massive outage was not immediately clear. Fastly, a popular content delivery network (CDN), confirmed it was experiencing an outage on its website and said around 7 a.m. ET that a fix had been implemented.

The service added that customers "may experience increased origin load as global services return."
Context: Fastly helps websites with significant amounts of traffic distribute user flow across many smaller, distributed networks.

When a CDN goes down, it often takes many sites with it, but it's usually not too hard to fix.
https://www.axios.com/internet-outage-f ... 6982f.html
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Internet Outages

Post by Foggy »

All those big websites fell right over on the floor, but a little forum I use didn't have a blip.

:cheer1:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

That's why you're our King, Foggy! :thumbsup:

If nobody visited The Post & Email, was it really down? :lol:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm All those big websites fell right over on the floor, but a little forum I use didn't have a blip.

njet - TFB was not reachable an hour ago...
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:23 pm
Foggy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm All those big websites fell right over on the floor, but a little forum I use didn't have a blip.

njet - TFB was not reachable an hour ago...
Yeah, I couldn't reach it either.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I'm under an NDA for details, but it was Fastly that put in some new code that had never been exercised, then an unusual situation (they called it SPECIFIC but UNUSUAL) exercised it, and it was NO GOOD and bombed their whole system! Scary that one vendor can take down all the biggies so quick like that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

covfefe wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:28 pm I'm under an NDA for details, but it was Fastly that put in some new code that had never been exercised, then an unusual situation (they called it SPECIFIC but UNUSUAL) exercised it, and it was NO GOOD and bombed their whole system! Scary that one vendor can take down all the biggies so quick like that.
"Testing‽ Testing‽ We don't need no stinking' testing!"
raison de arizona

qbawl wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:32 pm
covfefe wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:28 pm I'm under an NDA for details, but it was Fastly that put in some new code that had never been exercised, then an unusual situation (they called it SPECIFIC but UNUSUAL) exercised it, and it was NO GOOD and bombed their whole system! Scary that one vendor can take down all the biggies so quick like that.
"Testing‽ Testing‽ We don't need no stinking' testing!"
The time bomb went in May 21st, 2021, apparently, they just got lucky up until today. Here's a good one, they didn't log any of the errors because it kept dying before it could log anything.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Basically, big vendors on the InterTubes want to reduce traffic times to their sites, load balance across multiple server clusters, reduce bandwidth contention, reduce exposure to DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks etc.

To do this the use CDN's, Content Delivery Networks like Fastly, Akamai etc. These folks either hist some of your server/network infrastructure OR manage your internet routing to optimise access.

Now, that's all good 'n all.....except.....it means the whole "Internet is resilient, self healing, multiply routable" gets broken and if your CDN provider screws up, you're kinda dead in the water as all the routing that takes your request from a web page like asking for www.cnn.com is ACTUALLY pointed to and through the CDN.

No CDN = no access

If I had to hazard a guess, someone screwed up routing tables, pushed bad DNS updates or buggered up a new/updated certificate update
raison de arizona

Mr brolin wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 pm Basically, big vendors on the InterTubes want to reduce traffic times to their sites, load balance across multiple server clusters, reduce bandwidth contention, reduce exposure to DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks etc.

To do this the use CDN's, Content Delivery Networks like Fastly, Akamai etc. These folks either hist some of your server/network infrastructure OR manage your internet routing to optimise access.

Now, that's all good 'n all.....except.....it means the whole "Internet is resilient, self healing, multiply routable" gets broken and if your CDN provider screws up, you're kinda dead in the water as all the routing that takes your request from a web page like asking for www.cnn.com is ACTUALLY pointed to and through the CDN.

No CDN = no access

If I had to hazard a guess, someone screwed up routing tables, pushed bad DNS updates or buggered up a new/updated certificate update
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

bad bad boy :!: How dare you use the Fastly features ;)
Fastly says single customer triggered bug behind mass internet outage

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ass-outage
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Airline and bank websites go down in another major internet failure
London (CNN Business)Airlines, banks, stock exchanges and trading platforms suffered brief website outages early Thursday after a key piece of internet infrastructure failed, sparking the second major interruption of the past 10 days.

Virgin Australia said in a statement on Thursday that it had resolved an IT outage caused by a failure at Akamai Technologies (AKAM), a global content delivery network.

"Virgin Australia was one of many organizations to experience an outage with the Akamai content delivery system today and we are working with them to ensure that necessary measures are taken to prevent these outages from reoccurring," the airline said in a statement.

The outages on Thursday ensnared companies including Southwest Airlines (LUV), United Airlines (UAL), Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBAUF), Westpac Bank (WBK) and Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANEWF) (ANZ). The Hong Kong Stock Exchange website was also briefly offline.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Not sure if this is the best place but whatever.

When things go down, I often will run to Twitter because it is usually where to find information the quickest. Where do you go when Twitter is down?

BTW.. Twitter is having a bad hair day. Confirmed it on Down Detector.
101010 :towel:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”