Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Critical Race Theory

bob

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 pm
LM K wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:16 pm but they absolutely can block public k-12 schools from teaching CRT.
Are you sure about that?
The legislature can certainly pass a law.

But it'll probably be poorly worded and vague. And there undoubtedly will be groups willing to underwrite a local school board that's willing to take a stand.

The real battle will likely be at the usual place: textbook purchases.
Image ImageImage
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 pm
LM K wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:16 pm but they absolutely can block public k-12 schools from teaching CRT.
Are you sure about that?
Yep. Under GWB schools were threatened with the loss of all federal funding if they taught anything outside of abstinence only sex Ed.

Schools took that very seriously because they knew the Bush admin absolutely meant what they said.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Wow, there has been no racism in the US military for 200 years... :roll:

They just throw this shit out there. :brickwallsmall:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

At this point, you have to wonder if, late at night, Chief Justice John Roberts doesn't say to himself, "wow, was I ever wrong about instituional racism no longer exisiting in this country."
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:23 am At this point, you have to wonder if, late at night, Chief Justice John Roberts doesn't say to himself, "wow, was I ever wrong about instituional racism no longer exisiting in this country."
No. He's saying to himself "congratulations, self! You helped make sure Rethuglicans can maintain tight political control for decades to come! Good job!"
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

RVInit wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:01 am
No. He's saying to himself "congratulations, self! You helped make sure Rethuglicans can maintain tight political control for decades to come! Good job!"
:yeahthat:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

By opposing critical race theory, they are conceding its central tenant.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

An Alabama Republican who is trying to ban critical race theory was stumped when asked to define it
Kelly McLaughlin
Jun 15, 2021, 10:20 PM
  • Alabama State Rep. Chris Pringle is trying to ban critical race theory from schools.
    But in a recent interview with AL.com, he struggled to define critical race theory.
    Critical race theory is a practice that examines America's history of racism and how it still impacts the country today.
A Republican lawmaker in Alabama who's trying to ban critical race theory from being taught in schools struggled to define the concept when asked by a political commentator at AL.com.

Critical race theory is a practice that examines America's history of racism and how it still impacts the country today — and Alabama State Rep. Chris Pringle is among several republicans trying to ban it from schools.

But when asked about the concept by AL.com columnist Kyle Whitmire, Pringle struggled to clearly define it.

As part of his definition, he said the practice teaches students "certain children are inherently bad because of the color of their skin."

https://www.businessinsider.com/alabama ... ?r=US&IR=T
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:57 pm
An Alabama Republican who is trying to ban critical race theory was stumped when asked to define it
When pressed to name a specific person claiming to teach that, Pringle responded: "Yeah, uh, well — I can assure you — I'll have to read a lot more," he said.

"These people, when they were doing the training programs — and the government — if you didn't buy into what they taught you a hundred percent, they sent you away to a reeducation camp," Pringle added without evidence.
:?

Since they dragged this label (Critical Race Theory) from advanced academia to the masses, I think we need to find a better label --dumb it down-- so the masses understand what it really is.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

CRT is to racists what cryptonite is to Superman.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:57 pm CRT is to racists what cryptonite is to Superman.
I wish that was true. Maybe it is what a small child is to a naked emperor?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:57 pm CRT is to racists what cryptonite is to Superman.
Is cryptonite a set of NFTs that survived when Superman's birth planet (Krypton) was destroyed?
Dave from down under

:bag:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

As most of you know, my daughter is a teacher in Brazil. An English Lit teacher to be exact. She's here for the first time in 3 years and was out at my parent's house the other day and my idiot sister is visiting from Memphis. It's been probably close to 8 years since they have seen each other, so instead of catching up on each other's lives, my idiot sister asked her if she was teaching CRT in her classes. In Brazil. In an English Lit class.

Hannity and Carlson have done a piss poor job of explaining to her the CRT is related to American history, but they have sure convinced her that it's an evil that is overtaking the world.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

1 truth and 3 lies about Critical Race Theory

1. CRT has been distorted by the right as an all-purpose boogieman to rile up voters.

But it's actually a sophisticated and useful way to understand the cause of persistent racial inequality.

Let's explore how it works in practice.
https://popular.info/p/1-truth-and-3-li ... t-critical
https://t.co/B3JZRK6Jye
Best article on CRT evah!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The Tennessee Holler
@TheTNHoller
@Wonkette
picks up the story about
@Moms4LibertyWC
filing a complaint about Ruby Bridges’ autobiographical story about school integration because
It mentions “angry white people” who didn’t want black kids at school.

A war on the truth, and our schools.
raison de arizona

Arizona Gov. Ducey signs bill banning critical race theory training in schools, governments

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey has signed a bill into law prohibiting the teaching of critical race theory in schools and in state and local governments.

The governor signed House Bill 2906 on Friday, which prevents government entities from requiring employees to undergo training that would suggest that they are "inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously," according to a statement.

The bill also bans schools from teaching students that any race, ethnic group or sex is superior to another, or that anyone should be discriminated against for those characteristics.

Critical race theory seeks to highlight how racist policies of the past manifest today. Critics say it pits races against each other and teaches white people that they are responsible for past injustices.

Breaking the law would result in a $5,000 fine.
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizo ... overnments
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am hoping some teacher trolls them by actually doing a unit on Critical Race Theory and then points out that it does not violate the law as written.
raison de arizona

Full text:
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

Some TX nonsense. Mentions Women's Suffrage, which I don't see how one could legally continue to teach at all under the passed AZ law. FWIW.

TX is particularly concerning because they control the textbooks for a large part of the country.
raison de arizona

McCarthy gets served a steaming cup of STFU.
raison de arizona

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
Personal Injury Lawyer Finds A New Practice Area: Suing For Kids Harmed By CRT In Schools
Some states may not act to keep politics out of schools. But the insurance companies that underwrite school districts will after a few lawsuits, lawyer says.
A lawyer is making a practice area out of fighting for students subjected to a caustic ideology like critical race theory (CRT) in public schools, replete with the phone number 1-866-SUE-WOKE.

37-year-old New York attorney Jon O’Brien was a slip-and-fall and fender-bender lawyer until he began representing Gabrielle Clark, who said her biracial son received a failing grade from his charter school for refusing to confess that genes inherited from his deceased father gave him “white dominance.”

Since then, he has come to believe that the number of children receiving a personal injury in the form of emotional abuse through bizarre racial “pedagogy” in schools may outnumber those who are in more traditional accidents. He believes that lawsuits can provide a deterrent and that some parents — and, of course, their attorneys — could even see significant money for standing up for their rights.

One purpose of litigation is to create precedent that keeps the race-obsessed ideology that some call neo-racism out of public schools. Public-interest law firms look for a few cases with specific fact patterns, volunteer to take to cases for free, and aim to appeal them all the way to the Supreme Court.

But there’s also another approach that might help more people in the short term, O’Brien said.

If you really clean a few clocks, sue the hell out of a couple schools, the insurance companies are going to take notice. They’re the ones who have to pay” judgments against school districts, he said.

“The insurance companies are not woke. They’re not anything. If they see this pedagogy as a looming liability, they’re going to send their adjustors out there and clamp down,” he told The Daily Wire. “It will actually be really interesting if lawsuits triggered enforcement not from the state, but from the insurance industry.”

In short, these cases are “retributive,” demanding compensation for pain and suffering and denial of constitutional rights by the state.

:snippity:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/lawyer-s ... in-schools

Good luck with that, bub. RIght?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

They are working hard to redefine that "Woke" term, aren't they.
Dave from down under

covfefe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:49 pm Full text:
► Show Spoiler
That bit of legislation actually supports teaching of CRT!!!!

You could take that legislation and apply it to legislation that is racist.

Then let the fur fly!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

covfefe wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:01 pm "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
Personal Injury Lawyer Finds A New Practice Area: Suing For Kids Harmed By CRT In Schools
Some states may not act to keep politics out of schools. But the insurance companies that underwrite school districts will after a few lawsuits, lawyer says.

:snippity:
https://www.dailywire.com/news/lawyer-s ... in-schools

Good luck with that, bub. RIght?
Harmed by CRT? In the age of LCD and LED displays :?: :brickwallsmall: :doh:

;) my age is showing :lol:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”