Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Critical Race Theory

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by northland10 »

He is fighting hard to punish schools. The case mentioned in the Daily Wire link originally had him involved PHV (filed in December 2020). He withdrew from representation in April. That is about the same time that the parties stipulated to dismissing the motion for a preliminary injunction (the school made some accommodations for the plaintiff) and the plaintiffs filing an amended complaint. I wonder if O'Brien and his law firm of one ran because he lost a power struggle with the local council over the direction. They were more interested in advocating for their client, not pushing political points.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/20 ... authority/
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I've been watching my local school boards in AZ and NY thinking it was pretty bad with over-the-top rhetoric and arrests, but this is even worse.
In Missouri, Teaching Kids About Race Put Black Educators in Serious Danger[/b]
School officials received threats and harassment. Metal detectors had to be installed at school board meetings.

Conservatives have spent a year riling up their base against diversity and inclusion education. People like Brittany Hogan got caught in the crossfire. Hogan was the director of educational equity and diversity for the Rockwood School District in St. Louis County, Missouri, the only Black woman in a district leadership role, until a group of “concerned parents” went after her and other educators for their efforts to teach a more diverse curriculum. Parents questioned Hogan’s credentials and complained about her staff. School board meetings devolved into shouting matches, and metal detectors had to be installed. Hogan, hounded by online harassment and threats, finally resigned this spring. On Thursday’s episode of What Next, I spoke to Hogan about what happened. Our conversation has been condensed and edited for clarity.
:snippity:
So there was a book called Ron’s Big Mission about the astronaut that was killed, Ron McNair. He was in the Challenger. It’s a story about how when he was little and living in South Carolina, he went to check out a book at the library and he was told that he couldn’t because Black people weren’t allowed to check out books.

Why were parents upset about this book?

You know what, you would have to ask them. I don’t know. Because what I believe is that Ron McNair is an American hero. Besides giving his life on the Challenger, he also did amazing things for this country, including telling the story about how he refused to leave the library until he was allowed to check out this book. And for me, these are stories and people that I want our kids to know about. These are real people. This isn’t a fairy tale, but this is a real story about someone whose life that mattered. And the book is a fantastic book. I guess it was read in a couple of the elementary schools on the read-aloud, and a couple of schools got complaints about the book and a parent posted it on the concerned parent group. I got a screenshot from another parent to say, like, Do you know anything about this? And I said, No, I don’t. I said, well, that’s unfortunate. I’ll look into it tomorrow. So I go to bed. And when I wake up the next morning, someone in the concerned parent group clearly shared it, maybe shared the screenshot with someone on Twitter, and it went viral.
But... but... It makes white people look bad, can't have that!
Full interview: https://slate.com/podcasts/what-next/20 ... ity-threat

Dr. Ronald McNair is near and dear to my heart, I lived next door to a park named after him with a monument dedicated to his memory for fifteen years. I've read the monument so many times I could probably quote it from the heart. Killed in the Challenger disaster of '86, he was posthumously awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor in 2004.
Dr. Ronald McNair wrote:My wish is that we would allow this planet to be the beautiful oasis that she is, and allow ourselves to live more in the peace she generates.
Yes, let's go after That Guy. Asshats.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

covfefe wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:06 pm I've been watching my local school boards in AZ and NY thinking it was pretty bad with over-the-top rhetoric and arrests, but this is even worse.
In Missouri, Teaching Kids About Race Put Black Educators in Serious Danger[/b]
School officials received threats and harassment. Metal detectors had to be installed at school board meetings.

Conservatives have spent a year riling up their base against diversity and inclusion education. People like Brittany Hogan got caught in the crossfire. Hogan was the director of educational equity and diversity for the Rockwood School District in St. Louis County, Missouri, :snippity: .[/highlight]

Why were parents upset about this book?

Local POV on the Rockwood School District.

Until recently at least, Rockwood was the place where you lived if you want to live in the country but don't want your kids to go to school with total hillbillies in a chronically underfunded rural public school. Recent development is all super high end, giant houses on 3 plus acre wooded lots are typical along with the standard small lot planned development subdivisions.

Wildwood is the new city that overlaps it to a great extent. They came out against the mask order first.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

edited to insult people from Wildwood more
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:20 am As most of you know, my daughter is a teacher in Brazil. An English Lit teacher to be exact. She's here for the first time in 3 years and was out at my parent's house the other day and my idiot sister is visiting from Memphis. It's been probably close to 8 years since they have seen each other, so instead of catching up on each other's lives, my idiot sister asked her if she was teaching CRT in her classes. In Brazil. In an English Lit class.

Hannity and Carlson have done a piss poor job of explaining to her the CRT is related to American history, but they have sure convinced her that it's an evil that is overtaking the world.
CRT is the latest addition to the list of words racists incorrectly use as focal points for their racist, abusive attacks.

I'm always so sad when I hear about your sister--and about the various other miserable sibling relations on the Fogbow in general. What an utter tragedy. I have a sister, and we have issues, but she is neither racist nor right wing. It helps me put our relationship in perspective to hear about others. If that is any consolation, please take it with thanks.
Clairez

Post by Clairez »

Thanks Covfefe for bringing " Ron’s Big Mission" to my attention!
Just ordered it for my granddaughter who is just starting first grade this year but is already reading the Harry Potter books by herself. :biggrin:
She loves books and I am always looking for new ones to grab her interest.
raison de arizona

So there is a group in Smithtown, Long Island, NY fighting to save Smithtown schools from CRT, DEI, and communism! They are so bad. They go to the school board meetings and raise a ruckus. And other things. But anyway, here is what they recently posted:
Smithtown schools have already failed.
Smithtown schools have already failed.
IMG_0606.PNG (493.24 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
"those consider not divisive"? I thought we were talking about DIVERSE? And considerED maybe? Also, too, "This is what Diversity, Equity and Inclusion lead too" (also). Dumb shit. And where is your period? I had to harp on my kid about ending sentences with a period, but that was like second grade.

Smithtown schools have already failed you, my friend, I hope your children come out better than you did.

Save Smithtown's adults!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Also too, too!
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

qbawl wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm Also too, too!
Maybe it's satire‽
raison de arizona

qbawl wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:19 pm
qbawl wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm Also too, too!
Maybe it's satire‽
I wish, I've been following them for awhile now and they are completely on the level and insane. On the plus side, I moved from NY. On the minus side, I'm now in AZ.

Ack!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Clairez wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 pm ... my granddaughter who is just starting first grade this year but is already reading the Harry Potter books by herself.
:shock:

Wow.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona

This guy is backed by big ($10M from Peter Thiel so far) against Mark Kelly for the AZ Senate race in '22.
Senate candidate Blake Masters complains about 'anti-white racism'
Masters made the comments weeks before launching his U.S. Senate campaign.

Blake Masters, the U.S. Senate candidate and right-hand man of billionaire tech investor Peter Thiel, recently took to the stage at a conservative rally in Arizona and complained about what he described as “anti-white racism” in America’s schools.

His comments came amid a rant about Critical Race Theory, a bogeyman that conservatives are increasingly using as a wedge issue in the lead-up to the 2022 midterm elections.

“All it does is teach kids to identify in racial terms. Right? You are good or bad, depending on what you look like,” Masters told the audience. “At this point it is straight up anti-white racism. I don’t think we’re allowed to say that. But let’s call it what it is. It is toxic, and it does not belong in our schools.”

Masters delivered his comments to a mostly white audience on May 25 during an event in Phoenix called “America’s Comeback Tour.” The event was hosted by far-right British politician Nigel Farage and sponsored by the conservative group FreedomWorks.

Last month, Masters announced he’s running for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate in Arizona, hoping to unseat Democrat Mark Kelly in 2022. His effort is being backed financially by Thiel, who gave $10 million to a super PAC set up to support Masters.
https://www.informant.news/p/senate-can ... -complains
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Save TX kids? Does this need a crosspost in the TX Abortion Law thread :?:

:twisted:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

This Book Is Anti-Racist: 20 Lessons on How to Wake Up, Take Action, and Do The Work (Empower the Future, 1)
by Tiffany Jewell (Author), Aurelia Durand (Illustrator)
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
Recommended by Oprah's Book Club, ESSENCE, We Need Diverse Books, ellentube, Brit + Co, PureWow, Teen Vogue, Time, New York, USA TODAY, and TODAY.com
https://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Anti-R ... ref=sr_1_1
:torches:

Their "morals and faith" involve practicing racism? Fuck 'em. Poor kids. Poor teacher.
► Show Spoiler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The Carroll County ISD shows its overt racism again. That district has a history.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vi ... y-n1255230

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/us/criti ... index.html
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Reichwing slavery college course video. Debunked by an actual historian:

She's an idiot.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Is this Prager "course" on slavery described as a college-level course?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

chancery wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:19 pm Is this Prager "course" on slavery described as a college-level course?
PragerU is a triple-far-right "college", almost on Liberty's level. They have no national accreditation but morons flock to it that buy the MAGA.

Despite the name, PragerU is not an academic institution and does not hold classes, does not grant certifications or diplomas, and is not accredited by any recognized body.[7][8] PragerU is frequently criticized for presenting misleading or factually incorrect content in its videos, particularly those that downplay climate change, the COVID-19 pandemic, and racism, as well as those that oppose immigration.[9][10][11][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PragerU
raison de arizona

CRT, DEI, what does it all mean? This is the objectionable content, the smoking gun? :doh:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I'd be surprised if the teacher doesn't wind up suing that kids parents.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”