Another Shooting

neeneko

Re: Another Shooting

Post by neeneko »

Kendra wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:17 pm
Biden on Indianapolis: "While we await critical details ... I have the solemn duty of ordering the flag lowered at half-staff at the White House, public buildings and grounds, and military posts and embassies, just two weeks after I gave the last such order."
I am starting to wonder if we are going to reach a point where they just keep the flags at half staff and 50 years from now there will be youtube factoid videos explaining where the odd american tradition of only using half a flagpole came from.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Keep the flags at the same elevation, and just add telescoping sections on the top of the mast.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yes, it may be more of an occasion when the president announces we can raise the flags to full height.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

The incident marks at least the 45th mass shooting in the United States since the Atlanta-area spa shootings on March 16.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/us/india ... index.html
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 pm Yes, it may be more of an occasion when the president announces we can raise the flags to full height.
With a collective scream of 'don't jinx it!'
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

The Onion @TheOnion “Minnesota Deploys National Guard Ahead Of Next Week’s Police Shooting”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-17/ ... /100076144

Police say the teenager who shot dead eight people at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis was a former employee of the company.

Key points:
Eight people were shot dead in the shooting
The FBI says they interviewed Hole last year after his mother feared he would commit "suicide by cop"
Hole stopped working at FedEx last year

Indianapolis Deputy Police Chief Craig McCartt identified the shooter as 19-year-old Brandon Scott Hole at a news conference on Friday, local time, revealing investigators had searched a home in the city associated with Mr Hole and seized evidence, including desktop computers and other electronic media

Mr McCartt said Hole last worked for FedEx in 2020.

He said he did not know why Hole left the job or if he had ties to the workers in the facility.

Police have not yet uncovered a motive for Thursday's shooting but Mr McCartt said police seized a gun from him last year.

Authorities are still identifying the victims and not all of the victims' families have been notified.

Hole started randomly firing at people in the parking lot and then went into the building and continued shooting late Thursday night, Mr McCartt said.

He said the shooter apparently killed himself shortly before police entered the building.

"There was no confrontation with anyone that was there," he said.

"There was no disturbance, there was no argument. He just appeared to randomly start shooting."

Mr McCartt said four people were killed outside the building and another four inside.

Several people were also wounded, including five who were taken to the hospital.
Dave from down under

Insanity

The New York Times
@nytimes
· 6h
Breaking News: The gunman in the FedEx shooting legally bought two semiautomatic rifles months after a gun was seized from him over his mental state, officials said. https://nyti.ms/3ehREjE
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

We interrupt the coverage of the shooting of a 13-yr-old boy that interrupted coverage of traffic stop shooting of a 20–yr-old man that interrupted coverage of Derek Chauvin trial for the killing of George Floyd for news of 8 ppl killed at Fedex facility in Indianapolis
Seen several places lately.

But these lives are an acceptable sacrifice for freedumb.
Hic sunt dracones
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:43 am Insanity

The New York Times
@nytimes
· 6h
Breaking News: The gunman in the FedEx shooting legally bought two semiautomatic rifles months after a gun was seized from him over his mental state, officials said. https://nyti.ms/3ehREjE
This is a good example of how so much of the problem isn't necessarily the laws on the books, but how well funded the infrastructure for validating and enforcing them are. I would not be surprised if this was another case of the two databases not talking to each other, or that damn 'if it takes longer than 3 days you automatically pass!' excuse for cutting funding.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

There has been an active shooter situation at the West Hempstead Stop & Shop. The #NassauCountyPD is canvassing the area & nearby schools have been notified to lock down & secure their buildings. The subject has not been apprehended yet & we ask that area residents remain indoors
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

They just had a shoot out across the street from my daughter's house, at least one dead. I called her and told her to get the baby and get in the back of her house. About 5 minutes later they stopped one of the suspected shooter's cars about 2 blocks from our house. Now they're reporting one of the shooters is running through an apt complex across from her house.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 pm They just had a shoot out across the street from my daughter's house, at least one dead. I called her and told her to get the baby and get in the back of her house. About 5 minutes later they stopped one of the suspected shooter's cars about 2 blocks from our house. Now they're reporting one of the shooters is running through an apt complex across from her house.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

WTAF is going on out there?!

Sugar, how dreadful! Everyone is safe? Your poor daughter!!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kate520 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 pm WTAF is going on out there?!

Sugar, how dreadful! Everyone is safe? Your poor daughter!!
Everyone but the dead guy.

This is at least #50 so far this year. 120 total last year set a record, previous record high of 97 the year before.

And our legislature is doing their level best to do away with what VERY few gun laws we have. Legal open and concealed carry and no permit or registration required.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Terrible. :?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Shots fired inside Minnesota middle school, no one hurt: Police
A school resource officer was able to deescalate the situation, officials said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired-i ... itter_abcn
One person is in custody after multiple shots were fired inside a Minnesota middle school Monday morning, officials said.

No one was hurt, and Plymouth Middle School has since been deemed safe, Plymouth Police Chief Erik Fadden said at a news conference.

Stephanie Burrage, interim superintendent of Robbinsdale Area Schools, said the suspect was a student. The student's identity was not released.

Children witnessed the incident, which took place in a hallway outside of a bathroom at about 8:44 a.m., according to Burrage.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

25 years ago

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-27/ ... /100095946

Key points:
This week marks the 25th anniversary of the mass shooting at Port Arthur
Former policemen Craig Harwood, Michael Hayes and Jim Morrison were involved in the siege that followed the shooting
The three men are part of a charity walk to mark the anniversary

:snippity:

The Port Arthur Memorial Garden.(ABC News: Gregor Salmon)

Although some Australians would rather forget the events of April 1996, Mr Harwood believes it is important to remember.

"We have to remember it for the victims," he said.

"We have to [remember] the good things that have come out of it."

The tragedy prompted a national gun law overhaul; a massive crackdown on automatic and semi-automatic weapons.

Just twelve days after the massacre, then-prime minister John Howard announced a sweeping package of gun reforms, introducing some of the toughest gun laws in the world.

"We only have to look overseas to see why it's important," Mr Harwood said.

"The new laws in relation to firearms has undoubtedly saved our nation from going down a track like some other nations."

Mr Hayes said he did not want the tragedy to go to waste.

"I respect all of those people that were close to this and would want to just put it into the past," he said.

"But I would hope that they would recognise that the tragedy and the pain that they went through and the suffering that they went through, has resulted in a safer Australia and saved many, many, many lives.

"We can't measure those. But I'm absolutely sure in my heart that that's what's happened."
Dave from down under

Me: 25 years on, are they the best, of course not, they can always be better, but they will never be perfect (unfortunately), a national firearms registry should have been in place for the last 25 years!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-28/ ... /100095178

Port Arthur massacre: 25 years on, are gun laws the best they can be?

The Port Arthur Massacre changed Tasmania, and the nation, forever.

Key points:
Today marks 25 years since the Port Arthur massacre, and the sweeping gun reforms that came with it
Gun control advocates are concerned reform has been "chipped away" at over recent years
The federal government says it is open to working with states to deliver a national firearms registry

In 1997, Australia had 6.52 licensed firearm owners per 100 people, but by last year that proportion had almost halved, to 3.41.
The number of registered guns in the community has risen only slightly, despite the importation of modern firearms and population growth.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I remember that day. :cry: Saw a toy store owner throw the toy guns out and smash them. He was angry and crying.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Brian Levin
@proflevin
Squared newBREAKING CA
Moore said 2 victims were Asian & the department is investigating whether shootings were hate crimes amid a nationwide uptick in anti-Asian violence.
5 shootings, 2 deaths in L.A. tied to gunman later killed in Fullerton shootout, police say
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
Police have arrested three men in connection with a shooting outside an apartment complex in Richmond, Virginia, that left a mother and her 3-month-old baby dead and three other women wounded, authorities say.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We've had 3 shootings that I know of today here. None will even make the local newspaper unless one of them dies.
Dave from down under

We (Australia) had one shooting 3 days ago, which is the most recent that I know of...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-26/ ... /100096008

Police investigate after man fatally shot during hunting trip to Victoria's alpine region

The incident occurred on McCready Track at Rose River near Mount Buffalo about 9.30am.

"It's believed a group of people were hunting when one of the hunters sustained a fatal gunshot wound," a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

Police said the Yarragon man, who died at the scene, was with a group of hunters at the time, who were now assisting police.

"The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are unclear and the investigation is ongoing," the spokesperson said.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

How’s your daughter, sugar? I saw a two-para report somewhere about that shooting the next day.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”