Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

sugar magnolia

Re: Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:21 am How’s your daughter, sugar? I saw a two-para report somewhere about that shooting the next day.
She's fine now. Oddly enough, after the attack she doesn't get as freaked out as she did before in an emergency. I guess she figures if she can survive that, everything else is gravy. She never did even come over here.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I kinda hoped that was the case. :bighug: I mean, she is your daughter…
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Officers are on scene of a reported shooting in the Southcenter District. Please avoid the area. More info will be shared as it becomes available.
Yikes! I do t *do* the mall, but I was toying with th Bing some errands at a couple of stores in the area. Glad I got lazy and put it off for another day. Sounds like the perp(s) are still on the loose.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 pm
Officers are on scene of a reported shooting in the Southcenter District. Please avoid the area. More info will be shared as it becomes available.
Yikes! I don't *do* the mall, but I was toying with th Bing some errands at a couple of stores in the area. Glad I got lazy and put it off for another day. Sounds like the perp(s) are still on the loose.
I'm glad I didn't head that way today, since I was thinking about it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:13 pm
Kendra wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 pm https:// mobile.twitter.com/TukwilaPD/status/1388572831357693952heat
Yikes! I don't *do* the mall, but I was toying with th Bing some errands at a couple of stores in the area. Glad I got lazy and put it off for another day. Sounds like the perp(s) are still on the loose.
I'm glad I didn't head that way today, since I was thinking about it.
I saw somewhere that State Patrol closed exits from I5 and 405. Suspect still at large, cops still securing the mall.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sigh. With so many irresponsible gun owners in the country this sort of thing will just keep happening.

3 injured in Idaho middle school shooting; suspect captured

https://apnews.com/article/id-state-wir ... _medium=AP
A shooting at an eastern Idaho middle school Thursday has injured two students and a custodian, and a male student has been taken into custody, authorities say.

The victims’ injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, Jefferson County Sheriff Steve Anderson said.

“Today we had the worst nightmare a school district could encounter. We had a school shooting here at Rigby Middle School,” Jefferson School District Superintendent Chad Martin said. “What we know so far is the shooter has been apprehended. There is no further threat to the students.”

Students were being evacuated to a nearby high school, and multiple law enforcement agencies were on scene.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I've become numb to news about shootings. I feel like an asshole about that. But it's the truth.

That said, I'm routinely preparing for an active shooter on campus.

As an educator, one of the first things I do during the first week of class is to think through my "do this if" list.

First day: pick the best place for students to huddle so that they're not immediately visible through the classroom door windows. (Most classrooms have 2 doors.) Locate both sets of light switches.

Faculty typically rotate classrooms most terms, so locating huddle spots and light switches must be reevaluated at the beginning of most terms.

And then my mantra, repeatedly used throughout the term:

-Immediately remove my microphone headset and silence the microphone.

-Firmly and forcefully order students to be silent.

-Firmly and forcefully order students where to silently huddle.

-Turn off the lights.

-Order all cell phones OFF (keeps light and sound to a minimum), except for mine.

-Lock both classroom doors if possible. Locks must be locked from the hallway. (I practice locking the doors every once in a while.)

-If possible, turn off the speaker system and overhead system. Even if the microphone is muted, the lights from the speaker are visible from the classroom door's windows. Unfortunately, the overhead system takes time to completely shut down.

I repeat my list like a mantra throughout each term.

And then every few months, when my Mom starts freaking out about another school shooting, I remind her that I have a list and mantra. She and my father have asked me to change careers more than once because of campus violence.

I used to leave my cell phone in my office. I started bringing it to class a while ago specifically for active shootings/other violent attacks. I know that my ringer is absolutely silent, and I need a phone to call for help.

Educators in other countries don't have these mantras. I envy them.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

LM K wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:49 pm I've become numb to news about shootings. I feel like an asshole about that. But it's the truth.
As I see more of this kind of comment, I start to actually get worried.
When school shooting were big dramatic news,.. well, to borrow your phrase, I might feel like an asshole for not being concerned, but part of what makes them such big news is that they are so rare.

But as they become more common, they are less newsworthy, and start taking their place alongside bigger but less high profile issues like domestic violence.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Yes... you know how the response to every mass shooting is “thoughts and prayers” and “this is not the time to discuss the problem right after a shooting (as if it is disrespect)?”

My thought was assuming an arbitrary 4-months (pick a time duration) of non-legislation after a mass shooting due to these nonsense concerns, over the last last 20 years, how many actual months are there where legislation could be considered given that viewpoint?

And, given that legislation would take say 4-months.... could it ever happen? How many (if any) windows of greater than 8-months have existed in the last 20 years??
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

It took NZ 28 days after Christchurch for sane gun laws - with only 1 nay vote on the legislation (bloody stupid selfish Libertarian).
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Thanks. Going to share your list and mantra with our daughters even though I know they get this training every year. :?
LM K wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:49 pm I've become numb to news about shootings. I feel like an asshole about that. But it's the truth.

That said, I'm routinely preparing for an active shooter on campus.

As an educator, one of the first things I do during the first week of class is to think through my "do this if" list.

First day: pick the best place for students to huddle so that they're not immediately visible through the classroom door windows. (Most classrooms have 2 doors.) Locate both sets of light switches.

Faculty typically rotate classrooms most terms, so locating huddle spots and light switches must be reevaluated at the beginning of most terms.

And then my mantra, repeatedly used throughout the term:

-Immediately remove my microphone headset and silence the microphone.

-Firmly and forcefully order students to be silent.

-Firmly and forcefully order students where to silently huddle.

-Turn off the lights.

-Order all cell phones OFF (keeps light and sound to a minimum), except for mine.

-Lock both classroom doors if possible. Locks must be locked from the hallway. (I practice locking the doors every once in a while.)

-If possible, turn off the speaker system and overhead system. Even if the microphone is muted, the lights from the speaker are visible from the classroom door's windows. Unfortunately, the overhead system takes time to completely shut down.

I repeat my list like a mantra throughout each term.

And then every few months, when my Mom starts freaking out about another school shooting, I remind her that I have a list and mantra. She and my father have asked me to change careers more than once because of campus violence.

I used to leave my cell phone in my office. I started bringing it to class a while ago specifically for active shootings/other violent attacks. I know that my ringer is absolutely silent, and I need a phone to call for help.

Educators in other countries don't have these mantras. I envy them.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

Russia..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-11/ ... /100132350

Seven children have been killed during a school shooting in the city of Kazan in south-west Russia, according to the region's Governor.

Rustam Minnikhanov, Governor of the Tatarstan republic which has Kazan as its capital, said four male and three female grade eight students died in the shooting.

Twelve more children and four adults were hospitalised after the attack, Mr Minnikhanov said.

"The terrorist has been arrested," Mr Minnikhanov said after visiting the school.

"[He is] 19 years old. A firearm is registered in his name."

"Other accomplices haven't been established."

"An investigation is underway."

Russia's state RIA Novosti news agency earlier reported 11 people were killed in the school shooting, citing local emergency officials.

There was no way to immediately reconcile the differing death tolls.

It was not immediately clear what the motive for the attack was.

Video footage shared on social media showed emergency service vehicles parked outside the school, with people running towards the building. Other videos showed broken windows with debris outside.

Police have opened a criminal investigation into the incident.

While school shootings are relatively rare in Russia, there have been several violent attacks on schools in recent years, mostly carried out by students.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/05/12/ ... ightstand/
WEST BATH — Police say a 2-year-old boy injured his parents as well as himself after he fired a gun Wednesday morning.

Police responded to a home on New Meadows Road in West Bath around 8 a.m. after a report of multiple injuries from gunshot wounds.

The handgun was unsecured and was fired after the boy found it on a nightstand, police said.

The boy’s mother, 22, suffered a leg injury and his 25-year-old father suffered a minor injury to the back of his head, police said. Meanwhile, the boy was struck in the face by the recoil of the weapon.

All three were taken to Mid Coast Hospital with non-fatal injuries.

A 3-week-old baby was in the room at the time of the shooting and has been given to a grandmother who lives at the home, police said. However, she was not at the home at the time the shots were fired.

The shooting remains under investigation.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News
@NBCNews
Nine people have been wounded during a shooting in Rhode Island’s capital in what police there believe to be the largest shooting in city history.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Rhode Island? I didn't even know they have guns in RI. It's one of the most docile places in the nation,
Dave from down under

I haven't heard how the 11-12 year got the gun,
but whoever had an unsecured fire-arm should be charged with accessory, child endangerment, child abuse, recklessness endangering life, hell and damn the whole book!

Make fire arm owners accountable for their killing machines!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-20/ ... /100154376

When a student opened fire at an Idaho middle school, teacher Krista Gneiting directed children to safety, rushed to help a wounded victim and then calmly disarmed the sixth-grade shooter, hugging and consoling the girl until police arrived.

Key points:
Two students and a staff member were injured after a grade 6 girl opened fire at an Idaho school on May 6
Maths teacher Krista Gneiting said she approached the girl, took the gun from her and hugged her until police arrived
Ms Gneiting's family say the teacher's "tenderness and motherly love" likely saved many lives
tek

Post by tek »

Shooting in downtown Minneapolis leaves two people dead and eight others injured, say police

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/22/us/minne ... index.html

:mad:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/san-jo ... index.html
What we know so far
There are "multiple fatalities" and "multiple injuries" following a shooting at the VTA light rail yard in San Jose, California, officials said.
The exact number of victims remains unclear.
The shooter is dead, a sheriff's official said. Authorities have not identified the suspect.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Kendra wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:12 pm https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/san-jo ... index.html
What we know so far
There are "multiple fatalities" and "multiple injuries" following a shooting at the VTA light rail yard in San Jose, California, officials said.
The exact number of victims remains unclear.
The shooter is dead, a sheriff's official said. Authorities have not identified the suspect.
8 dead plus the shooter, no count yet on the number of wounded, apparently lots of explosives throughout the crime scene, plus the shooter set his house on fire before heading to the VTA yard.
Image Image Image Image
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://heavy.com/news/samuel-cassidy/
Samuel Cassidy was a 57-year-old public transit employee who was named as the mass shooting suspect who murdered eight people, including co-workers, during a union meeting at a light rail yard in San Jose, California.

A police spokesman, Russell Davis, said in a news conference that there were “eight victims who were pronounced deceased at this point and there was one suspect” who is deceased. He said the numbers could change. Davis called the building where the shooting occurred at a Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) “control center” which is a “hub that stores multiple VTA trains and a maintenance yard as well.” The gunman brings the death toll to nine.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:torches:

Meanwhile, here in San Jose, a truck is circling near the crime scene — where the bodies of six dead gunshot victims are still being processed — waving signs that read “Recall Newsom.”

I have never seen political campaigning at a crime scene.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng- ... s-database

It’s rare to go one day without a mass shooting in America.

Since 2014 the US has averaged more than one mass shooting a day, according to data from the Gun Violence Archive. There is no official definition of “mass shooting”, but this database tracks incidents in which at least four people are shot or killed, not including the shooter.

This list includes the high-profile incidents, such as the Parkland shooting, the Orlando shooting and the Atlanta shooting. But thousands of other mass shootings have come and gone like any other day.
There's a visual database going back seven years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Kendra wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:52 am :torches:

Meanwhile, here in San Jose, a truck is circling near the crime scene — where the bodies of six dead gunshot victims are still being processed — waving signs that read “Recall Newsom.”

I have never seen political campaigning at a crime scene.
Dumbasses don't even know which side of the truck our flag belongs on. :shrug:
Il factotum
somerset

Post by somerset »

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/27/ ... -handguns/
According to a Wall Street Journal report Thursday, a Department of Homeland Security memorandum indicated that Customs and Border Protection agents detained Cassidy in 2016 as he was returning to the U.S. from the Philippines and found he harbored a hatred for his workplace.

The memo, which the Journal said was distributed at DHS after the shooting Wednesday, said Cassidy was found to possess “books about terrorism and fear and manifestos…as well as a black memo book filled with lots of notes about how he hates the VTA,” when Customs and Border Protection detained him. “When asked if he had problems with anybody at work, he stated, ‘no.'”

The gunman fired 39 times, apparently selecting his targets, Sheriff’s Deputy Russell Davis said, telling at least one person at the rail yard, “I’m not going to shoot you” during his rampage.

Fair said investigators also found expended 15-round magazines at the shooting scene, which is made up of five separate locations within the Guadalupe Yard complex where Cassidy traveled.
And then there's this guy who thinks he would have made a difference if he'd been armed (never mind that the VTA yard is literally next door to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's headquarters and they were on the scene within a couple of minutes).

https://abc30.com/vta-shooting-san-jose ... /10701217/

As an aside, the VTA yard is about a mile south of where we live :(
somerset

Post by somerset »

And this article, giving a brief bio of the nine victims:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/27/us/san-j ... index.html

I've chatted with Singh. We take the light rail quite a bit (or used to, anyway. That's another story) and he often came onto the train at the Civic Center station, which is just two stops from where we live, so we got used to seeing each other and would say hello in passing.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”