Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Facebook

Suranis

Re: Facebook

Post by Suranis »

Facebook keeps "suggested for you" memes and other crap that's anti-vaxx and Pro-bullshit. Consiering I've never gone out of my way to look for that crap, it's showing that facebook is deliberately spreading that crap.

Example, somehow Facenoob thinks I would be interested in a meme from the New York Republicans that says "Presidents day is cancelled until we find one"

Or this gem from "The New Earth project."

bollox1.png
bollox1.png (398.67 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
And now a picture has been "suggested for you" from "Conspiratruth" Guess what? Yep they want me ranting about that 11th of September attack again! Woooo!!

241698043_4221212957986598_5556921171516050305_n.png
241698043_4221212957986598_5556921171516050305_n.png (366.93 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
Facebook is deliberately spreading lies as it makes them money
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

For some strange reason Facebook is suggesting a lot of oddball cooking videos to me today. Cooking cheeseburgers on a waffle iron, baking eggs inside a hollowed out loaf of bread etc.

Some of these look actually dangerous.

Liked it better when I was getting WW II history suggestions.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Facebook ‘overpaid in data settlement to avoid naming Zuckerberg’
Lawsuit alleges settlement in Cambridge Analytica case driven by desire to protect founder

Dan Milmo Global technology editor
Fri 24 Sep 2021 16.12 BST

Facebook paid $4.9bn more than necessary to the US Federal Trade Commission in a settlement over the Cambridge Analytica scandal in order to protect Mark Zuckerberg, a lawsuit has claimed.

The lawsuit alleges that the size of the $5bn settlement was driven by a desire to protect Facebook’s founder and chief executive from being named in the FTC complaint.

Facebook was fined by the FTC in 2019 for “deceiving” users about its ability to keep personal information private, after a year-long investigation into the Cambridge Analytica data breach, where a UK analysis firm harvested millions of Facebook profiles of US voters.

“Zuckerberg, [chief operating officer Sheryl] Sandberg, and other Facebook directors agreed to authorise a multibillion settlement with the FTC as an express quid pro quo to protect Zuckerberg from being named in the FTC’s complaint, made subject to personal liability, or even required to sit for a deposition,” said the shareholder lawsuit filed in Delaware last month but made public this week.

The suit quotes a commissioner on the FTC, Rohit Chopra, who said the government “essentially traded getting more money, so that an individual did not have to submit to sworn testimony and I just think that’s fundamentally wrong”.

The lawsuit claims that the settlement was approximately $4.9bn more than Facebook’s “maximum exposure under the applicable statute”.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... zuckerberg
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Another 30 day ban for me. For "bullying"

What horrid terrible hate filled screed did I make to warrant this stretch in Facebook jail??
... the "case study" (not a case study) using observations from March and April 2020.

Good luck with that, Skippy.

Ok. Even I'm bored with this chew toy. You can only slap around dumb for so long before it becomes pathetic. If this person is real, it is a victim and deserves only pity.

Au revoir.
Context repeatedly pointing out that a "new Study" showing HYdroxybullshit cured Covid was not a new study at all, considering everyone had been telling her it was an old study and she insisted it was a new one.

In short, fighting misinformation. So proving liars wrong is bullying them.

Fuck this.
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Perchance it was your phrase "slap around dumb" that got you suspended. That brings up visions of misogyny and male upon female bullying for me.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Her+chew toy+victim+deserves only pity=30 days.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Sur will be happy to know FB is down.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Good to know. Thought it was my damn internet again. Just sold my werewolf on Marketplace and needed to mark it gone. Oh well.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

lmao.png
lmao.png (183.96 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN just reported on the outage. :lol: They couldn't resist speculating how quick this came after the big whistleblower reveal on 60 minutes. I think they reported Instagram and other FB apps were down. Reporters had hard time keeping the grins off their faces.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

x-posting
lmao.png
lmao.png (183.96 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I guess it would.be funny except for the people who use FB for business purposes.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Who watched 60 Minutes last night? Maybe just leave it down.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:12 pm Sur will be happy to know FB is down.
Makes me feel better than the victim blaming from here, yes.

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/statu ... 7562184704
Asha Rangappa@AshaRangappa_

Remember when Trump used to say something outrageously racist, etc. on Twitter to hijack the media cycle from talking about evidence of some crime he committed? The "Facebook is out" thing weirdly reminds me of that distraction tactic :think:
Hic sunt dracones
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Suranis wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:31 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:12 pm Sur will be happy to know FB is down.
Makes me feel better than the victim blaming from here, yes.

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/statu ... 7562184704
Asha Rangappa@AshaRangappa_

Remember when Trump used to say something outrageously racist, etc. on Twitter to hijack the media cycle from talking about evidence of some crime he committed? The "Facebook is out" thing weirdly reminds me of that distraction tactic :think:
Victim blaming from here? Meaning TFB? I'm not.sure what you mean.

I've met you. We've had some LD conversations that were pleasant but I unfriended you on FB so I would no longer see your attacks on commenters. It seems you cannot help but be clever in abusive responses. I've seen it here as well.

You are are an intelligent, clever and talented person. But your vitriol is often misplaced and offensive. That you get FB jail and are surprised is cognitive dissonance. You are often your own worst enemy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Considering how you have habitually claimed on here that I have said something which I never did, I would suggest that you are an unreliable narrator on that. Regardless, victim blaming is victim blaming, even with excuses on how its justified becasue of race, colour or creed.

Considering I am not the topic here, even though you habitually try to make me & how awful I am the topic, I'll leave it at that.

https://twitter.com/scottbudman/status/ ... 1717171206
scott budman@scottbudman
That was a costly @60Minutes interview. Facebook has lost $50 billion in market value so far this morning.
$FB
4:43 PM · Oct 4, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

scott budman
@scottbudman
·
3h
#Update: Now reports of widespread outages at Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, TikTok, Telegram, and other sites.
Not sure how Facebook being down would cause those other companies to crash. Any ideas?
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Suranis wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 pm
scott budman
@scottbudman
·
3h
#Update: Now reports of widespread outages at Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, TikTok, Telegram, and other sites.
Not sure how Facebook being down would cause those other companies to crash. Any ideas?
The first three are all FB companies, not sure about the last two, but I haven't had trouble with either one of them today :shrug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 pm The first three are all FB companies, not sure about the last two, but I haven't had trouble with either one of them today :shrug:
Ah that makes sense. I'd say the other 2 are just rumors then.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:25 pm :snippity:

Many companies use FB (and Google etc) for single signon purposes, easy for the users and companies don't need to invest in an own secure username/password infrastructure (although most have that any way)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:24 pm I guess it would.be funny except for the people who use FB for business purposes.
Not worse than having a business on a own server and that one gets crashed.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

For reasons unknown to me, I have a three-day FB timeout. It just happened and the notice said that my previous three posts violated community standards. My last three posts were a Hummingbird meme (which was a share), and a share of a personal post from five years ago about the aftermath of drinking and driving to two FB pages.

I just dont get it.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Update! I disagreed and my post was restored. Now I know what it was, but still dont understand why someone e found it against community standards. Here it is:
Attachments
248945963_10208672025194387_9020526706837886789_n.jpg
248945963_10208672025194387_9020526706837886789_n.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That's funny!

I got baned a while back for posting a photo of Hitler with a bible next to a photo of trump with a bible. When i objected, they told me it was for the Hitler pix, context wasn't considered, and it won't be considered.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The algorithm prolly picked up stab & knife in the same sentence.

Or it realized that woodpeckers are generally peaceful, if noisy, birbs, and hummers are, ounce for ounce, the most violent, bad tempered, stabby little fuckers in all of bird-dom, and called a fowl.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”