Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Active Shooter

sugar magnolia

Re: Active Shooter

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kendra wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:52 am
Hours after America's second mass shooting in a week, Sen. John Kennedy downplays the gun problem by noting that "we have a lot of drunk drivers in America that kill a lot of people. We ought to try to combat that too ... the answer is not to get rid of all sober drivers."
No, you gibbering fuckwit, we pass laws to control drunk drivers. We require education and licensing and registration and insurance as long as you're sober, but once you step over the line, any and all of those can be taken away from you.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

All TV networks, cable and otherwise, are unwatchable this morning. Every. Single. One. sending the message, and I quote: "It's hard to see gun legislation passing with the sides are so divided."

They slide back into default both-sides-are-responsible with ease, even when the next news story is about ending the filibuster.

I have never watched the media as closely as I have the past year, and what I've learned is that the institution of US political media is as racist and driven by radical-right talking points as every other damned institution in this country.

Except for Chris Hayes. Even my beloved Nicolle Wallace slips back into the rich white male supremacy POV occasionally, though she fights it.
filly

Post by filly »

filly

Post by filly »

Who was supporting this guy? When and where did he acquire his gun(s)? Who supplied the funds to purchase them? Whose house was searched all of last night?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

First time I've seen this warning on my television. Anoka County is just north of the Twin Cities. I looked on Twitter to see if there was any more info. Not yet.

filly

Post by filly »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:06 pm First time I've seen this warning on my television. Anoka County is just north of the Twin Cities. I looked on Twitter to see if there was any more info. Not yet.

If we had these in Houston television would have no other programming.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Boulder shooting suspect Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa was short-tempered, violent, former teammates say

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/03/23/b ... wi-alissa/
He attended Arvada West High School from 2015 until he graduated in 2018, Jeffco Public Schools spokeswoman Cameron Bell confirmed Tuesday. He was on the wrestling team his junior and senior years.

“He was kind of scary to be around,” said Dayton Marvel, a teammate on the wrestling team. Alissa once had an outburst and threatened to kill people during an intra-team match, Marvel said.

“His senior year, during the wrestle-offs to see who makes varsity, he actually lost his match and quit the team and yelled out in the wrestling room that he was, like, going to kill everybody,” Marvel said. “Nobody believed him. We were just all kind of freaked out by it, but nobody did anything about it.”

He said he did not like spending time with Alissa, and Alissa was not close with anyone on the wrestling team. Another teammate, Angel Hernandez, said Alissa got into a fight in the parking lot after the match.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:38 pm Who was supporting this guy? When and where did he acquire his gun(s)? Who supplied the funds to purchase them? Whose house was searched all of last night?
He bought a Ruger AR-556 pistol six days before the attack. He lived in a multigenerational family home. The house is owned by a man also named Alissa who owns a nearby restaurant called the Sultan Grill. That is the house that was searched. The restaurant is staffed at least to some extent (perhaps totally) by family members so perhaps the shooter worked there.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/03/23/b ... wi-alissa/

https://www.sultangrill.com/index.html
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/2 ... ers-477684
A federal judge lambasted the Justice Department on Tuesday, warning that top officials’ comments in recent media interviews threatened to taint the prosecution of some of the most notorious participants in the Jan. 6 Capitol breach.

In a hastily assembled video conference, District Court Judge Amit Mehta declared he was “surprised, to say the least” by a CBS “60 Minutes” interview with Michael Sherwin, who recently stepped aside as the lead prosecutor in the Capitol attack and as the acting U.S. attorney in Washington.

In the interview aired Sunday, Sherwin said he believed the facts gathered by investigators would support a charge of “seditious conspiracy” against some of the Capitol rioters — a grave, rarely used criminal charge reserved for attempts to overthrow the government or interfere with government activities.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Anderson Cooper is wonderful interviewing witnesses after mass shootings. It's unfortunate he's had do to do it so often to hone that skill :crying:

Someone get me a tissue.
filly

Post by filly »

Kendra wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:21 pm https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/2 ... ers-477684
A federal judge lambasted the Justice Department on Tuesday, warning that top officials’ comments in recent media interviews threatened to taint the prosecution of some of the most notorious participants in the Jan. 6 Capitol breach.

In a hastily assembled video conference, District Court Judge Amit Mehta declared he was “surprised, to say the least” by a CBS “60 Minutes” interview with Michael Sherwin, who recently stepped aside as the lead prosecutor in the Capitol attack and as the acting U.S. attorney in Washington.

In the interview aired Sunday, Sherwin said he believed the facts gathered by investigators would support a charge of “seditious conspiracy” against some of the Capitol rioters — a grave, rarely used criminal charge reserved for attempts to overthrow the government or interfere with government activities.
I've always liked Judge Mehta. :batting:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Close call! :?

Man with 5 guns, body armor arrested inside Publix at Atlantic Station, police say

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlant ... MCAJF3F3M/
Atlanta police say they arrested a man who brought multiple guns into the Publix grocery store at Atlantic Station Wednesday afternoon.

They have now cleared the store and are investigating a suspicious package at the store.

Investigators say the man walked into the store just after 1:30 p.m. holding a rifle. He then went into the bathroom. A witness who saw him enter alerted store management, who called police. As the man exited the bathroom, officers arrested him.

“During the investigation, officers recovered five firearms and body armor from the male’s possession,” police said in an email to Channel 2 Action News. Investigators say he had two long guns and three pistols in his possession.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NEW DETAILS: Man took 5 guns, body armor into Atlantic Station Publix, cops say

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-man-t ... YQTBOADBU/
Officers at the scene spotted the man leaving the bathroom and quickly took him into custody. According to police, his weapons included two long guns and three pistols, all of which were concealed on his person. Police identified the man as 22-year-old Rico Marley and said he has been charged with reckless conduct.

Officers and paramedics are still interviewing Marley and conducting a mental health evaluation, authorities said. Police are still working to determine why he had so many guns inside the store.

:snippity:

Several police cars were parked at Atlantic Station as officers continue the investigation. Atlantic Drive, one of the main surface streets that runs in front of Publix, is closed to traffic by gates and security guards.

Shoppers were being turned away as they approached the grocery store, but there were still plenty of people milling about the open-air mall. Most of those at Atlantic Station appeared unaware of the situation at the Publix, as nearby restaurants served guests on patios and shops remained open.
He needed the guns to defend himself in case he was confronted by a clerk who wanted him to wear a mask. ;) At least they stopped him before he shot anyone.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

UPDATE: MARTA station reopens after shooting; suspect in custody

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-shoot ... 3LRQINUKE/
The shooting took place on the northbound platform of the Arts Center station, MARTA police spokeswoman Sgt. Deneya Littles said. The suspect is in custody and has been taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, Littles told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

One other person was injured when a bullet grazed their leg, Littles said. She did not say whether the victim was taken to a hospital.

The Arts Center station was temporarily closed to train service while police investigated the shooting, according to a MARTA tweet. Train operations returned to normal about 4 p.m.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

There must be something in the water in ATL right now...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I wonder if he was paranoid because of the Colorado grocery shooting and, in his mind, felt he needed protection to shop for milk and veggies?

Imma thinking if he was going on a shooting spree, he wouldn't have gone to the bathroom first.

Is Georgia an open-carry state?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:57 pm I wonder if he was paranoid because of the Colorado grocery shooting and, in his mind, felt he needed protection to shop for milk and veggies?

Imma thinking if he was going on a shooting spree, he wouldn't have gone to the bathroom first.

Yes, but stores can adopt their own no guns policy. Publix has this done to the extent of allowing only LEOs to open carry in their stores.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:57 pm
For rifle and shottys yes, for pistols you have to have a carry permit for either open or concealed.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

neonzx wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:57 pm I wonder if he was paranoid because of the Colorado grocery shooting and, in his mind, felt he needed protection to shop for milk and veggies?

He may have been “readying his small arm” prior to having a bad day”.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:20 pm He may have been “readying his small arm” prior to having a bad day”.
That's possible. There are no details yet. I'm sure the investigation will reveal the motive for him having the guns and body armor in the store.

Thankful for the person who witnessed him go into the bathroom and reporting it to store management. "see something, say something"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

During the Boulder supermarket shooting, barista Logan Smith helped barricade his coworker behind trash cans.

The shooting left 10 people dead, including his best friend and coworker Rikki Olds. He said he doesn’t think the image of her getting shot will ever leave his mind.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Five guns into a grocery store?

Kernac predicts he gets off. They will argue no one was harmed. He was just exercising his constitutional rights. Etc etc. Blah blah blah. He'll get a rap on the knuckles, a tsk tsk from the judge, and become the new face for gun rights. He'll be the poor persecuted gun owner that no one understands or appreciates.

And considering he's still alive after an encounter with the police, do we have pool going on his race / ethnicity yet, or is that even necessary?

MEAWW news story on Rico Marley
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:37 pm
Officers and paramedics are still interviewing Marley and conducting a mental health evaluation, authorities said. Police are still working to determine why he had so many guns inside the store.

:snippity:
I suspect it was someone trying to do an ad-hoc 'second amendment audit' style experiment. Not actually planning to do anything, but wanted to upset people and the police into arresting him for 'doing something legal'.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:22 am

And considering he's still alive after an encounter with the police, do we have pool going on his race / ethnicity yet, or is that even necessary?

Your link shows a photo which would make him appear to be Black.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:45 am
bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:22 am

Your link shows a photo which would make him appear to be Black.
Indeed. Assumptions busted. Kudos to ATL police for not over-reacting. Maybe they listened.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”