Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Women's History Month

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Women's History Month

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.sistersletter.com/culture/t ... s-persists
The Legacy of Black Women Poets Persists
Poetry can motivate the spirit. Here are 10 poets to keep on your radar.

At the 2021 presidential inauguration, 22-year-old Amanda Gorman eloquently delivered the poem, “The Hill We Climb.” Offering a timely message on joy and unity, Gorman made history as the youngest poet to perform at a presidential inauguration. Her inspirational words honored the past, reminded us to stay present and gave hope for the future.

Black women, in particular, have found their voices in poetry. Phillis Wheatley (also sometimes seen as Phyllis or Wheatly) was the first known African American poet to be published (Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral, 1773). And Wheatley’s work subsequently influenced many poets like Audre Lorde and Nikki Giovanni.

You see, poetry can figuratively give warm hugs, enhance our communities and allow for creative expression in meaningful ways. And poetry has existed alongside social and political movements.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Women's History Month 2022

HHHHOOOORRRRAAAAYYY!!!! Here's this year's theme:
IMG_20220301_092756.jpg
IMG_20220301_092756.jpg (209.1 KiB) Viewed 668 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Re: Women's History Month 2022

I tweeted my two older brothers and twin this morning:

TRL: I want to thank M and D for inspiring me to be a feminist and women's advocate. Were it not for you, the ever present question "Why do the BOYS get to do it" would not have arisen so early in my life!
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Tiredretiredlawyer

This Fearless Female Wrangler Runs One of California’s Most Historic Dude Ranches

From trail rides and rodeos to cattle roundups, Meghan Taylor does it all.

Meghan Taylor says she can’t remember a time in her life not being around horses. Her grandfather raised Quarter Horses all over Montecito while her mom grew up riding in the Santa Barbara backcountry. She was gifted her first pony before turning two and competed on the California High School Rodeo circuit.

Some might call it destiny then that the now 28-year-old would become the youngest head wrangler ever at The Alisal, a historic guest ranch in Central California Wine Country, where she oversees a herd of 110 horses. The second woman to hold the position, it’s a dream come true for Taylor, who first took a chance summer job there in 2013.

Female figures embodying the grit and grace spirit included legendary sharpshooter Annie Oakley; Shoshone interpreter and guide Sacagawea who joined the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery expedition through the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean; and African-American star-route mail carrier, Stagecoach Mary. Today, modern trailblazers like Tammy Pate celebrate women in the Western industry with her Art of the Cowgirl event, while third-generation rodeo rider Kanesha Jackson and her daughter Kortnee Solomon, are creating a legacy for women of color.

Since taking over as head wrangler, she shares that gender stereotypes haven’t been an issue, more so questions about her age. “I don’t know if there was any outside adversity or more the personal pressure of second-guessing myself. That’s something I’ve had to deal with, especially taking on the position just over two and a half years ago and then navigating the pandemic, which is a whole other story.”
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Lani

Post by Lani »

Alice Paul
In January 1917, Paul and over 1,000 “Silent Sentinels” began eighteen months of picketing the White House, standing at the gates with such signs as, “Mr. President, how long must women wait for liberty?” They endured verbal and physical attacks from spectators, which increased after the US entered World War I. Instead of protecting the women’s right to free speech and peaceful assembly, the police arrested them on the flimsy charge of obstructing traffic. Paul was sentenced to jail for seven months, where she organized a hunger strike in protest. Doctors threatened to send Paul to an insane asylum and force-fed her, while newspaper accounts of her treatment garnered public sympathy and support for suffrage. By 1918, Wilson announced his support for suffrage. It took two more years for the Senate, House, and the required 36 states to approve the amendment.
https://www.womenshistory.org/education ... alice-paul

In honor of her, we protested at the White House for 7 days/24 hours for the ERA. I had the honor of meeting her. She was weak and in a wheelchair, but it was wonderful to meet her, and she was happy to see us continuing her work. Her courage was amazing.

During the nights, Betty Ford provided us with coffee & snacks.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I have a bit of a thing for women astronomers, and astronomers in general to be honest. I've posted elsewhere about the four Nuns that were tasked by the Vatican to catalogue the Night sky, but I thought I would post a page that at least lists the names of 26 women who have been instrumental in Astronomy.

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/women-astronomers.php
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm a little late but I was binging on Horrible Histories (again) and my favorite musical number just came on.

Here comes the earworm.

Boudicca, Superstar!!

I'd love to introduce her to Matt Gaetz
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Suranis wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:04 am I have a bit of a thing for women astronomers, and astronomers in general to be honest. I've posted elsewhere about the four Nuns that were tasked by the Vatican to catalogue the Night sky, but I thought I would post a page that at least lists the names of 26 women who have been instrumental in Astronomy.

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/women-astronomers.php
Very cool Suranis, thanks for the link :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Cool. I shared with my Progressive Arkansas Women’s Pack group.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Women's History Month

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Merged two threads

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”