Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fashion!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Fashion!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

a plain navy two button with no frills except a red paisley lining, pick-stitched lapels
All right!!!!!! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:26 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 am FRP, if you did any fashion reports on the Chauvin trial, I missed them. One of these days I'd like to see joint fashion reports from you and Sugar M., who was our resident fashionista before you joined us - and she creates fashions, too also!
All I think I did on the Chauvin trial was complain about Nelson's taste in clothes off-hand once or twice, but since you asked...
I love your discussions of sartorial matters. There is so much deconstruction of what women wear, and so little about what men wear. I still wonder why the former guy was apparently too cheap to get a decent tailor.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 am The only thing that isn't changeable that I wish would be is the shoulder. I have a slight fetish for English- and Italian-style roped sleeveheads as well as Neopolitan spalla camicia shoulders, and unfortunately this tailor only does the boring American-style flat shoulders popularized by Brooks Brothers. (Here is an article explaining the differences for those interested.) Well, you can't have everything.
I never knew there were different shoulder things. As for me, it would not be worth it. Attempting to do anything with my shoulders (or lack thereof) is a lost cause.

Not to mention, my most public moments are at an organ or in front of a choir and for that, it is cassock and surplice (well organist cotta, the type of a surplice with no sleeves to let the arms move freely and not risk getting a sleeve caught).
Organ palying_LI2.jpg
Organ palying_LI2.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
101010 :towel:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

A few things.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her outfits.

I LOVE church hats. Used to sell them on etsy as the Slightly Befuddled Hatter. I now stick mostly to beach hats, colorful straw hats with lots of focal points and ribbon. My fav is a bright pink one with a turquoise blue lightbulb* on the turned up brim. I always get comments on it, or I probably would if I was willing to go to the beach.

I still make colorful pirate hats for festivals, or I will when they start having festivals again.

I almost always have a hat on when I'm outside and it's worked for me. I've been told (by the plastic surgeon who did my hand surgery) that I have the skin of someone 20 years younger (apologies for the brag but I'm just saying hats do the job). I do not have any special cream or high priced formula. Just a hat and coconut oil from the cooking oil section of the grocery store. Of course, now I have to deal with the (lack of) vitamin D issue but it's manageable.

Moving on, I roll my eyes at the skin tight suits. It looks like some Tim Allen gag where the dry cleaner shrunk his suit while on a business trip and the BIG MEETING is in 20 minutes. But I've never been a fan of suits. No disrespect, guys, I'm an old hippie married to a biker. It's just me.

*actually it's a pencil sharpener. I bought a couple doz at Oriental Trading Co.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

FiveAcres wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 am
fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:26 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 am FRP, if you did any fashion reports on the Chauvin trial, I missed them. One of these days I'd like to see joint fashion reports from you and Sugar M., who was our resident fashionista before you joined us - and she creates fashions, too also!
All I think I did on the Chauvin trial was complain about Nelson's taste in clothes off-hand once or twice, but since you asked...
I love your discussions of sartorial matters. There is so much deconstruction of what women wear, and so little about what men wear. I still wonder why the former guy was apparently too cheap to get a decent tailor.
My guess is he had a decent tailor but he wouldn't take direction. I had a lot of trouble with that when I was costuming community and dinner theaters. It's always best to accept your body for what it is and work with it. In his befuddled brain, he prolly thought bigger clothes would hide his bulk, but it just made him look sloppy.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My husband was just complaining about ascots going out of style.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:01 am My husband was just complaining about ascots going out of style.
Ha! Been binge watching Get Smart. Don Adams was quite the snappy dresser and he pulls off the ascot effortlessly, whereas some guys just look swarmy.

(edited to add, I'm sure Andy's hubby falls in the first category.)
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

frp, I love your fashion focus. Unlike Slim, I like to see a suit occasionally on a man. Not a foppish suit like Roger Stone the clown wears, though. He must be the most insecure man in FL. My hubs wears suits so infrequently that he never feels or looks comfortable. My “wedding jitters” dream was that the entire wedding party showed up in rafting* clothes - running shorts/torn cut offs, ratty t-shirts and Teva sandals.

Interesting article on jackets. I had no idea. I like the spalla camica style best. Now I have a new game to play while people-watching: should he be wearing that shoulder style?

I hope this tailor meets your standards. If not, find one who does fancy shoulders. ;)

* We met on a rafting trip. We spent a lot of the year between meeting and marrying on this river or that.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 am Hijacking this thread, partly to massage my own ego and partly to rant about current men's fashion. If women's clothing seems designed to only fit individuals with unrealistically perfect bodies, men's suits are becoming exactly the same.
:snippity:
One of the drawbacks about my cycling habit is that my thighs are, well, fairly enormous, and the current trend in menswear toward flat-fronted trousers with very tapered legs just doesn't work for me at all. The trousers of the last several suits I've purchased are tight when I'm standing, but murderously so when I'm sitting. This is not only annoying, but also means they wear out with a rapidity that is beyond annoying. Even worse, movies and television have been promoting a shrunken look to men's suiting for years now that essentially tells people that ill-fitting trousers and jackets are "fashionable."
I agree about men's suits. It seems that what they're doing is trying to ape the look of bespoke English suits, which tend to be cut more fitted in the legs (but cut from scratch to fit a particular customer) and which are much tighter under the arms than generic suits. Then couple this with shoes in far lighter colors (cognac, walnut, whatever) that have exaggerated toes. It looks ludicrous. I'm sure the pendulum will swing back in a couple years.

That's an awful look for me. Like you, I have cycling quads and immense calves. I've also got short legs for my height -- a 29 inch inseam in a 6'0" man makes me look like a penguin. And with size 12 EEE feet, shoes I buy to conform to the currrent fashion might look more like those worn by Ronald McDonald than someone in my august profession.

I also have a number of other issues like spinal curvature, one arm about 3/4" shorter than the other, and one leg 1" shorter than the other that argue for custom suits. And at one point, I weighed over 400 pounds, so I couldn't buy anything off the rack anyway. I made sure to buy two pairs of pants for each suit so that wear, particularly in the seat wouldn't be a problem. I was pretty happy with one of those Hong Kong traveling tailors (www.hongkonggrand.com), from whom I bought about 2 dozen suits over the years.

Lastly, my taste in ties generally went with high-end designers but very eclectic patterns. Charvet, Pucci and Ferragamo are favorites, but only patterns that are truly unique and that aren't designed to be boring. Ferragamo was particularly good at expensive-but-boring, cranking out thousands of different designs with crossed golf clubs or golf tees, ad nauseum. Occasionally, they'd have something really memorable and unique that was worth buying.

I rather enjoyed being somewhat subversive, especially during my Wall Street investment management career. One favorite outfit that I wore occasionally was a solid blue herringbone cashmere suit, a red and blue Charvet tie, and a tone-on-tone Jacquard patterned Robert Graham shirt with this subtle motif. I never took my jacket off unless getting into the car, and the number of people that noticed the pattern was quite small. Those that did were quite amused. Certainly, no bad word ever got back to management.
20210421_122558.jpg
20210421_122558.jpg (366 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We've got some snazzy-dressed men here! :dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That IS subtle, JPC. 😊
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:35 pm
I rather enjoyed being somewhat subversive, especially during my Wall Street investment management career. One favorite outfit that I wore occasionally was a solid blue herringbone cashmere suit, a red and blue Charvet tie, and a tone-on-tone Jacquard patterned Robert Graham shirt with this subtle motif. I never took my jacket off unless getting into the car, and the number of people that noticed the pattern was quite small. Those that did were quite amused. Certainly, no bad word ever got back to management.

20210421_122558.jpg
Love it!
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:35 pm Lastly, my taste in ties generally went with high-end designers but very eclectic patterns. Charvet, Pucci and Ferragamo are favorites, but only patterns that are truly unique and that aren't designed to be boring. Ferragamo was particularly good at expensive-but-boring, cranking out thousands of different designs with crossed golf clubs or golf tees, ad nauseum. Occasionally, they'd have something really memorable and unique that was worth buying.
Most of my neckties are Countess Mara (a hugely underrated brand) or Tommy Hilfiger, and a couple from Brooks Brothers. Don't laugh at the Tommy Hilfiger. While I normally can't stand their clothes, two of my favorite ties are grenadine silk in red and blue that I wear constantly. The blue grenadine is a deliberate homage on my part to the blue grenadine tie Sean Connery wore in several of his James Bond movies, and it just goes with everything.

Had I the budget of an investment banker, I would probably be buying ties from Charvet or Ermenegildo Zegna. Also I'd probably be getting my suits from Gieves & Hawkes in London.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Kate520 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:37 am frp, I love your fashion focus. Unlike Slim, I like to see a suit occasionally on a man. Not a foppish suit like Roger Stone the clown wears, though. He must be the most insecure man in FL. My hubs wears suits so infrequently that he never feels or looks comfortable. My “wedding jitters” dream was that the entire wedding party showed up in rafting* clothes - running shorts/torn cut offs, ratty t-shirts and Teva sandals.

Interesting article on jackets. I had no idea. I like the spalla camica style best. Now I have a new game to play while people-watching: should he be wearing that shoulder style?

I hope this tailor meets your standards. If not, find one who does fancy shoulders. ;)

* We met on a rafting trip. We spent a lot of the year between meeting and marrying on this river or that.
Aw, thanks Kate. Options as far as tailoring are kind of limited where I live, unfortunately. I had been getting suits off-the-peg from Suitsupply (via the internet or their location in Chicago when I made it down there). They do have interesting shoulders and really great jackets for the price. However, their trousers are completely hopeless on me these days, taking the irritating predominant trend of snug thighs to a ridiculous extreme.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Forget how it looks, that can’t be comfortable! :?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:01 pm
johnpcapitalist wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:35 pm Lastly, my taste in ties generally went with high-end designers but very eclectic patterns. Charvet, Pucci and Ferragamo are favorites, but only patterns that are truly unique and that aren't designed to be boring. Ferragamo was particularly good at expensive-but-boring, cranking out thousands of different designs with crossed golf clubs or golf tees, ad nauseum. Occasionally, they'd have something really memorable and unique that was worth buying.
Most of my neckties are Countess Mara (a hugely underrated brand) or Tommy Hilfiger, and a couple from Brooks Brothers. Don't laugh at the Tommy Hilfiger. While I normally can't stand their clothes, two of my favorite ties are grenadine silk in red and blue that I wear constantly. The blue grenadine is a deliberate homage on my part to the blue grenadine tie Sean Connery wore in several of his James Bond movies, and it just goes with everything.

Had I the budget of an investment banker, I would probably be buying ties from Charvet or Ermenegildo Zegna. Also I'd probably be getting my suits from Gieves & Hawkes in London.
I have a fondness for Jerry Garcia ties, but since I rarely wear a tie (even before the lockdown), I don't buy ties hardly ever.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I don’t often go to Facebook anymore, but when I do this is the first place I go. Attire’s Mind.

This week two posts might be of interest to Fogbowsers. The most recent is a post about men’s suits, padding, and shoulders. The second you have to scroll down a few -church lady hats.

PS He’s recently discovered commas, I see.
Off Topic
I don’t know how to make the Facebook post itself appear
Lani

Post by Lani »

I love that hat!!!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:35 am I don’t often go to Facebook anymore, but when I do this is the first place I go. Attire’s Mind.

<snip>

This week two posts might be of interest to Fogbowsers. The most recent is a post about men’s suits, padding, and shoulders. The second you have to scroll down a few -church lady hats.
Thank you SO much, Kate! I really, really needed that just now! :lovestruck: :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer

What a hat and what a story!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

What a cool website!!!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.allure.com/story/drag-race- ... -nails-wig
Symone's Red Nail Look for the Drag Race Finale Was Filled With Hidden Messages

The entire world has changed since the 13th season of RuPaul's Drag Race premiered on New Year's Day, but after Friday's finale Drag Race fans everywhere have a new reigning queen: Symone, the hilarious, witty, talented, and deeply original individual from Los Angeles by way of Conway, Arkansas.

Symone delivered all season long — on the runways, in (most) of the challenges, in lip-syncs — and she single-handedly changed the way most of us say the word "factory." (It's fec'try now.) Symone didn't come to season 13 to play. She came to slay. And she did so while remaining Black as hell! Symone's approach to drag has always been a celebration of Black culture, and her entire Drag Race package was truly a love letter to it. From her mile-long durag look and the white "Say Their Names" runway, to her finale look with towering braids, Symone has not failed to share the love of her culture and its aesthetics with the world.

Friday's finale began with a ball: The four finalists were to showcase three different looks. Naturally, Symone knocked all three out of the park, but the one that really got our beauty brains buzzing was her "Red All Over" look. For the category, she wore a slinky, little red dress covered in fringe — which was actually just a ton of spray-painted acrylic nails. The details, from the matching nail earrings to the extra-long toenails hanging from her platforms were an absolute delight, but the hair, darling. That was nothing short of epic. Her blonde wig boasted a pair of high ponytails, but instead of traditional scrunchies, it looked like hands were holding the ponies in place.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

I opened a Slate article this morning about Republican opposition to the January 6 commission proposal, and immediately had this travesty shoved in my face:

I'd mentioned Kevin McCarthy's questionable clothing choices on Old Fogbow, particularly in that infamous picture from his kiss-and-make-up meeting with Trump back in February in which he was wearing cheap shoes that did not go with his suit. Well, it appears Kevin makes a habit of that, because that's what we have here.

The suit - a charcoal solid two-button - looks expensive, and fits him pretty well. I'm guessing the tailor is American, because there's too little waist suppression for it to be anything from Europe. He apparently goes for flashy details like the ticket pocket and the contrast stitching around the button hole on the lapel. The jacket would be considered a bit short by classical standards, but shorter jackets are fashionable now (I even have several that are of similar length) so I won't ding McCarthy for that. Shirt and tie are fine, albeit nothing special. Above the ankles, he looks like he could credibly be the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives. So what am I on about? Look down.

Those, my friends, are wingtip derby shoes in either a dark tan or a medium brown. And rather cheap-looking, too. At best, they might be McNeils by Allen Edmonds, but I rather doubt it. The top of the sole below the upper looks wrong for AE (I own a couple pairs). More likely, they're crappy derbies of the kind you'd find at DSW or some other store for men who can't be bothered. And that's exactly the image projected by McCarthy's shoes: "I simply cannot be asked to coordinate my shoes with my clothing." Which rather undercuts the sophistication hinted at by the suit. Same for the style of shoes. You're wearing a dark suit, white shirt, and a power tie. It's a pretty formal ensemble. So why match it with brown (less formal, doesn't match) wingtip (significantly less formal) derby shoes (even less formal)? It's like if Jill Biden showed up to a black tie diplomatic reception at the White House in a gown by Dior while wearing cheap transparent stripper heels from Target. People would notice. Maybe it's a politician thing, figuring that people are only going to be looking at your upper half anyway.

End rant.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:40 am https://www.allure.com/story/drag-race- ... -nails-wig
Symone's Red Nail Look for the Drag Race Finale Was Filled With Hidden Messages
I miss drag queen bingo. I need to check our local gay bar to see when it's coming back.
Tiredretiredlawyer

That sounds like fun!!!!! :biggrin:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”