Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Architecture - let's talk buildings!

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Architecture - let's talk buildings!

Post by raison de arizona »

First of all, Biden revoked Trump's classical architecture mandate.
Biden repeals Trump's classical architecture order, so what happens now?

Last year, Trump and his "make federal buildings beautiful again" executive order sent shockwaves across the architecture community. Trump had strong aversions towards modern architecture calling these buildings "ugly" and "uninspiring." Since Archinect's initial coverage on the classical architecture mandate back in February 2020, we've kept a close eye on the White House's news and how the architecture community would respond.

Since January 20th, 2021, President Biden has been swift in revoking and undoing many of Trump's blunders while in office. Before he left, Trump made a great effort to sign and pass his executive order making classical architecture the "preferred and default style" for all updated and future federal buildings. However, late Wednesday evening on February 24th, President Biden was keen on rescinding that order.

With the order now revoked, what happens next? NPR's Elizabeth Blair reminds us in her report that along with Trump's classical architecture mandate, he also appointed a handful of individuals to help carry out his plans. Modern architecture critic and current U.S. Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) Chair and president of the National Civic Art Society (NCAS), Justin Shubow shared with NPR, "our federal architecture has been dismal for decades, and has been designed in modernist styles that do not represent what ordinary Americans actually want."

To expand on Blair's coverage Phillip Kennicott, art and architecture critic of the Washington Post, commented on the CFA's "all-white, all-male, and almost entirely mediocre" board. He expressed the need for Biden to "move quickly" to replace the current CFA members. He called for the President to replace its current members with "a diverse body of professionals, including women and people of color, who bring a wide and spirited range of aesthetic viewpoints to the commission's monthly meetings."
https://archinect.com/news/article/1502 ... appens-now
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Architecture - let's talk buildings!

Post by Volkonski »

3D-printed home in Dutch city expands housing options
A Dutch couple have been looking around their new home — a two-bedroom concrete bungalow resembling a boulder that was created using 3D printing

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... itter_abcn
Elize Lutz and Harrie Dekkers' new home is a 94-square meter (1,011-square foot) two-bedroom bungalow that resembles a boulder with windows.

The curving lines of its gray concrete walls look and feel natural. But they are actually at the cutting edge of housing construction technology in the Netherlands and around the world: They were 3D printed at a nearby factory.

:snippity:

In the future, as the Netherlands seeks ways to tackle a chronic housing shortage, such construction could become commonplace. The country needs to build hundreds of thousands of new homes this decade to accommodate a growing population.

Theo Salet, a professor at Eindhoven's Technical University, is working in 3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing, to find ways of making concrete construction more sustainable. He figures houses can be 3D printed in the future using 30% less material.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Different. I'd like to have seen inside. Interesting.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Perfect for fans of "The Flintstones". ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:51 pm Perfect for fans of "The Flintstones". ;)

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The coolest home I’ve been in was a former grain silo in the middle of an apricot orchard in Kansas. It was made of field stone and had four stories with a spiral staircase kind of off to one side. Not a 45° angle to be found. Designed and remodeled by the orchard owner’s son, an architect.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The boulder home is reminiscent of the Santa Festival adobe houses.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'm so old I remember earthships.

Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Then there's the Flintstone house in Hillsborough, CA, visible from I280, both beloved & reviled.
Estiveoshot_20210501_063134.jpg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstone_House
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am I'm so old I remember earthships.

I drove by there a few years ago. I understand their design, but I was much less impressed than I expected to be.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Estiveo! Want!
Sprout’s gonna get famous and buy it for our retirement, he says.

The interior is as crazy as the outside. :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/workstation- ... od-5180083
So it's little wonder that interest in prefabricated home office units has grown since last year. After all, if one has the extra bit of space in the backyard, these pre-built modules can typically be delivered and installed in a day or two, making them a convenient and quick option. While most of the prefab home offices we've seen are generally orthogonal in shape, the Workstation Cabin from Hungarian design studio Hello Wood is an outlier, with its eye-catching angles that make it seem like it's a compact futuristic spacecraft of some sort.

According to the designers, the exterior form and the interior space were configured to the hypothetical use patterns of up to six people. There is indeed an intentional leaning toward a futuristic aesthetic, said Ráday: "We took inspiration from the design of space capsules, and the cabin was refined step by step before reaching its final form."
Darab_Zsuzsa_HW_Workstation_kabin_004-779d17ecfdc84be3b1b572e4f93cde3c_kindlephoto-5615965.jpg
Darab_Zsuzsa_HW_Workstation_kabin_004-779d17ecfdc84be3b1b572e4f93cde3c_kindlephoto-5615965.jpg (278.11 KiB) Viewed 8615 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Foggy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am I'm so old I remember earthships.

OK then, how about Arcosanti?

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 1.11.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 1.11.29 PM.png (511.3 KiB) Viewed 8586 times
That'll date ya! ;)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.bloomberg.com

Step Inside the ‘Little Island,’ Barry Diller’s $260 Million Public Park
It took five years to build, and now will open to everyone.

From Manhattan’s West Side Highway, the “Little Island” looks like a cluster of giant white flower buds sprouting from the Hudson River. But the 2.4-acre park—conceived and mostly paid for by billionaire Barry Diller through his Diller - von Furstenberg Family Foundation—is actually an undulating platform of grass, trees, and winding pathways mounted on concrete piles where Pier 54 used to be.

When it opens to the public on Friday, May 21, visitors will be able to enter from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. year-round via two, boardwalk-sized bridges that connect the structure to the Hudson River Greenway and roughly correspond to 14th and 13th streets. The most dramatic approach is from the southern entrance through an arch covered in plants and trees.

The origins of the project date to 2013, when Diller, the chairman of IAC, became involved in fixing up Pier 54, which had fallen into disrepair. Instead of rebuilding the pier, Diller and his wife, the fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg, commissioned architect Thomas Heatherwick—designer of the infamous Vessel in Manhattan’s Hudson Yards—and the landscape architecture firm MNLA to design an entirely new structure.

The result was a sprawling layout intended to evoke a “leaf floating on water.”
1200x-1_kindlephoto-39646258.jpg
1200x-1_kindlephoto-39646258.jpg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 8217 times
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

So cool! I love architecture. It’s really the only art form that speaks to me. I would much rather walk around a city and look at the architecture than go to a museum (although some museums themselves are in beautiful buildings).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very, very cool!

It makes me think of what they did in Seattle with the Olympic Sculpture Park. It was an eyesore when we first when to Seattle, but is a delight to the eyes now.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/cuprinol-she ... ts-5187281
Cuprinol Shed of the 'Plague' Year Finalists Announced
A record 331 entrants are competing for the title.

Every year we cover the Cuprinol Shed of the Year competition, a celebration of a great British tradition: the construction or the adaptive reuse of sheds for modern uses. British homes are generally smaller than those in North America and often don't have useful basements or spare bedrooms, so that shed at the bottom of the garden where the outhouse used to be can be very useful. These are not the fancy and expensive architect-designed sheds but are often quirky and fun, true labors of love.

This plague year may have been awful for so many reasons, but it was a good year for sheds, with so many people stuck and home in crowded conditions and a record number of 331 entries— double the number from 2020.

The Shedmaster of Ceremonies, who founded the competition and is head judge, Andrew Wilcox, tells Treehugger: "With the lockdown, many people have spent more time at home - so they needed an outlet for their creativity and to occupy their time and the first place these sheddies looked was their humble garden sheds—and they have converted them into multi-use buildings"

Peaky Blinders Pub Shed
peaky5-c9346851716a4d048cb4fdcaf6bd780a_kindlephoto-8087965.jpg
peaky5-c9346851716a4d048cb4fdcaf6bd780a_kindlephoto-8087965.jpg (160.29 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Ouch. I hear there are 9 condos currently on the market if anyone is looking.
Estiveoshot_20210824_203252.jpg
New Tilting Stops $100 Million Fix of San Francisco's Millennium Tower
When foundation fix work began in May, the tower had been tilting just over 17 inches at the top -- with a rate of sinking engineers said appeared to have slowed over time.

But soon after drilling began to put in the first dozen of the 36-inch wide casings for the piles along Fremont St., monitoring data obtained by NBC Bay Area’s Investigative Unit from June reflected apparent acceleration in both the tower’s sinking and tilting to the west.

As of mid-August, the data shows the foundation has sunk a full inch since the start of the work, translating into a lean of as much as five more inches at the top, resulting in a tilt of 22 inches toward Fremont and Mission.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigatio ... ssion=true
Image Image Image Image
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Italians made their tilting tower a tourist attraction ;)
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:58 am The Italians made their tilting tower a tourist attraction ;)
San Franciscans sell multimillion $ condos in theirs. The tourists buy overpriced sourdough & crab cocktails down t'the wharf.
Image Image Image Image
Chilidog

Architecture Shaming

Post by Chilidog »

This property listing has been getting a lot of attention from the Facebook group "architecture shaming"

The exteriors of the buildings are nice.... (Note that there are two large houses, a ranch house, at least three major outbuildings, and a caboose)

Parts of the interiors are nice, but, as you click thru the pictures (all 222 of them) you start to notice little, odd, disturbing details in the layout and the interior decorating....

And then it gets really wierd....

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 8qToObYuDM
Whatever4

Re: Architecture Shaming

Post by Whatever4 »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:10 am This property listing has been getting a lot of attention from the Facebook group "architecture shaming"

The exteriors of the buildings are nice....

Parts of the interiors are nice, but, as you click thru the pictures (all 222 of them) you start to notice little, odd, disturbing details in the layout and the interior decorating....

There’s some culty-looking things in the “other” category…
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I'm still trying to figure out the bathtub dimensions. And the how do you get into that whirlpool?
pipistrelle

Re: Architecture Shaming

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:10 am This property listing has been getting a lot of attention from the Facebook group "architecture shaming"

The exteriors of the buildings are nice.... (Note that there are two large houses, a ranch house, at least three major outbuildings, and a caboose)

I didn’t have patience to analyze 222 photos but I did spot something disturbing.
7528AED8-EAFB-418B-B7D9-87EE047EDBA4.jpeg
7528AED8-EAFB-418B-B7D9-87EE047EDBA4.jpeg (186.58 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”