Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

Suranis

Re: Media Moves

Post by Suranis »

Hang on, a woman says she gave Matt Drudge her shirt??? Anyone else see a problem with this story?
Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

It seems Natasha Bertrand is now White House reporter for CNN.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/17/att-to- ... mpany.html
Telecom giant AT&T announced Monday a deal to combine its content unit WarnerMedia with Discovery, paving the way for one of Hollywood’s biggest studios to compete with media giants Netflix and Disney.

Under the agreement, AT&T will unwind its $85 billion acquisition of Time Warner, which closed just under three years ago and form a new media company with Discovery. The deal would create a new business, separate from AT&T, that could be valued at as much as $150 billion, including debt, according to The Financial Times.

AT&T said it would receive an aggregate amount of $43 billion in a combination of cash, debt and WarnerMedia’s retention of certain debt. AT&T shareholders would receive stock representing 71% of the new company, while Discovery shareholders would own 29%, it added.

If approved by regulators, the deal effectively reverses AT&T’s years-long plan to combine content and distribution in a vertically integrated company. The companies said the deal is expected to close in the middle of 2022.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

R. I. P. LiveLeak

prior owner of the site, Hayden, writes a goodbye letter appearing on a website called ItemFix
Dear LiveLeakers,

I'm sure you're wondering what's going on right now so it's only right and proper that you get a full
explanation.

Fifteen years ago we felt the project we were working on had peaked and it was time to move on,
LiveLeak was born. Although it's an overused analogy the last fifteen years have been an insane
rollercoaster for all involved. Highs, lows, and some rather worrying bits where it felt like we were upside
down. The thing is, it's never been less than exhilarating, challenging and something we were all fully
committed to. Nothing lasts forever though and – as we did all those years ago – we felt LiveLeak had
achieved all that it could and it was time for us to try something new and exciting.

The world has changed a lot over these last few years, the Internet alongside it, and we as people. I'm sat
here now writing this with a mixture of sorrow because LL has been not just a website or business but a
way of life for me and many of the guys but also genuine excitement at what's next.

I hope some of you will enjoy ItemFix and find it useful and entertaining. It's something completely
different, completely fresh, and something we feel energized about tackling and whilst I know many of
you will be upset, possibly angry, about our decision I do hope you also understand our reasons and
appreciate that, alongside you, we have walked together through some interesting times and some crazy
ones. Sometimes it's just the right time to chart a new path.

I'd like to wrap this up with thanks. Thank you to all the team past and present, the “inner circle”, the
admins, the mods, the coders. You guys helped make the impossible possible for so long it's unreal. If
people truly knew what you'd put into this...they probably wouldn't believe it. But I know and I can't
thank you enough.

To the members, the uploaders, the casual visitors, the trolls and the occasionally demented people who
have been with us. You have been our constant companions and although we probably didn't get to
communicate too often you're appreciated more than you realize. On a personal level you have fascinated
and amused me with your content.

Lastly, to those no longer with us. I still remember you.

On behalf of the LiveLeak team and myself
Cheers,

Hayden
at https://www.itemfix.com/ll
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

article mentions what ItemFix is about - yet another online video editing and publishing tool
LiveLeak is finally dead after 15 years
LiveLeak will leak no longer.LiveLeak will leak no longer.

BY AMANDA YEO
MAY 06, 2021

Infamous video sharing website LiveLeak is dead, shutting down on Wednesday after 15 years of nightmare fuel and trauma. Sorry if you wanted to see a brutal murder for some reason.

Founded in 2006 by the team behind gore site Ogrish, LiveLeak was notorious for hosting graphic videos of real violence — including Saddam Hussein's execution and the beheading of journalist James Foley. The shock site had a laissez faire attitude toward such content, reveling in the gory clips that sites such as YouTube prohibited. It also came under fire for hosting a film that argued the Quran encourages violence against non-Muslims.

However, as of May 5, the gore is no more. LiveLeak's website now redirects to Itemfix, a new service allowing users to post and edit video, audio, and images.

In a statement on the Itemfix website, LiveLeak co-founder Hayden Hewitt thanked his anonymous collaborators and expressed excitement at moving on to Itemfix.

"The world has changed a lot over these last few years, the Internet alongside it, and we as people," said Hewitt.

Though ostensibly run by members of the same team that ran LiveLeak, Itemfix's rules are a bit stricter when it comes to its content policy. Rather than evaluating graphic media on a "case by case basis," Itemfix explicitly prohibits "excessive violence or gory content."

Only time will tell how strictly this will be enforced.

"The thing is, [LiveLeak has] never been less than exhilarating, challenging and something we were all fully committed to," said Hewitt. "Nothing lasts forever though and...we felt LiveLeak had achieved all that it could and it was time for us to try something new and exciting."

"[W]hilst I know many of you will be upset, possibly angry, about our decision I do hope you also understand our reasons and appreciate that, alongside you, we have walked together through some interesting times and some crazy ones. Sometimes it's just the right time to chart a new path."

https://mashable.com/article/liveleak-dead-shut-down/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

So ItemFix is just LiveLeak without the violent videos? That doesn't seem like a huge change. They could have just changed the rules of LiveLeak. :confuzzled:

Also too, we may have to wait a while for phpBB to make ItemFix available for embedding. :shrug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:58 am So ItemFix is just LiveLeak without the violent videos? That doesn't seem like a huge change. They could have just changed the rules of LiveLeak. :confuzzled:
Isn't that like TMZ without the drunk celebrity videos? Like, violent videos seemed like LiveLeak's whole raison d'etre. :think:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:58 am So ItemFix is just LiveLeak without the violent videos? That doesn't seem like a huge change. They could have just changed the rules of LiveLeak. :confuzzled:

Also too, we may have to wait a while for phpBB to make ItemFix available for embedding. :shrug:
Unsure what they want to be, a mini-youtube, vimeo clone or such. They did not migrate the user accounts from LL. If I follow their intro clip they say its a site to edit your own video clips by thaking this, take that and mash it up and post it. With teh "take this, take that" I bet they will be running into copyright issues fast.

PS. I may sniff once in a while, but at this time have no intent of crossposting from this new site.

I had grown accustomed to the dense presentation of videos with small previews on the now defunct LL, this new site has much too much white space and too little clips per webpage, displays the clips directly in large size to view.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I actually enjoyed liveleak as there were some enjoyable videos there which youtube did not show That one where a bunch of eastern European idiots strapped 400 firewords to a balloon and then were suprized when it turned into a cluster bomb was a personal favorite.

It was also the platform of choice for every lying shithead, so fuck it.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I was a infrequent viewer of the gore site Ogrish back in the days. Apart from the the true gore they had also some daily news that would not get reported in the news, at the time 2 decades ago still very much paperbound and not yet on the internet. Then the US started their Iraq war and restricted official news to imbedded screened journalists. That was the triggers that led to the inception of LiveLeak, to publish things that the US military did not like the world to see. As the site operated in the UK the US could not do much about content shown. One got to see the real side of war, not cleaned up.

One of the more interesting things for me was the evolution of the militatry hardware in the US forces over time as they reacted to the guerilly war fare tactics of the militia groups in the targeted countries, Afghanistan and Iraq. to see the methods as the militia groups devised different approaches to the new devices deployed. Like the transformation of the military humvee as a simple tin foil transporter for soldiers, to an armour plated vehicle built by the troops in the battle field to the deployment of armoured personnel carries, which got knocked out by ever stronger explosives, to the specially designed MRAP to withstand blasts, and see even them get overthrown by much larger charges. Also to see the evolution of air support for the troops fighting on the ground, giving them the possibility to react with a long arm not getting too much contact with the enemy.

Content moderation detoriated for a while over the recent years. And LL became a safe haven for some US rightwingers to rant.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The New York-based hedge fund Alden Global Capital – known for slashing its newspapers' budgets to extract escalated profits – won shareholder approval Friday for its $633 million bid to acquire the Tribune Publishing newspaper chain.

The purchase represents the culmination of Alden's years-long drive to take over the company and its storied titles – including Chicago Tribune, the Baltimore Sun, New York Daily News and major metro papers from Hartford, Conn. to Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Alden's reputation had set off a frantic effort by union members in Tribune Publishing newsrooms. Their organizer, Baltimore Sun education reporter Liz Bowie, dubbed the effort "Project Mayhem." The journalists tried to secure potential buyers in numerous Tribune markets who embraced the public-minded aspirations of journalism, including the Maryland philanthropist and hotel magnate Stewart Bainum Jr.

After a process marked by intrigue and whiplash, Alden dashed all those hopes. The hedge fund already held a 32-percent stake in Tribune. Alden's founder, Randall Smith, sits on Tribune's board, as do two other directors with close ties to Alden. Smith's protégé, Heath Freeman, oversees Alden's previous newspaper holdings and is the fund's president. Both men keep low public profiles.
Read more: https://www.npr.org/2021/05/21/99873086 ... une-papers
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN has terminated its contract with senior political commentator Rick Santorum after racist, inaccurate remarks he made about Native Americans, HuffPost has learned.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I repeat.

:groupdance:

Long overdue.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

So. cancelled was he? :bunny: :cheer2: :cheer1: :bar:

I got the distinct impression during the round table discussions that the other CNN peeps didn't think too highly of Santorum.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Contract. So they actually PAID him to appear? wtf?
filly

Post by filly »

So is Senator Sanitarium going to have to find a real job?
filly

Post by filly »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I always hated that CNN had him on their show. I guess they felt like they had to find someone who was willing to stoop to the lengths he did to defend Trump. But the one thing that probably saved us in the past from having Rick Santorum able to get to great heights in politics was the fact that he can't communicate at all. CNN gave him the ability to practice his communication skills, which always bothered me. A Rick Santorum with absolutely no speaking skill at all was not a problem on the national level. A Rick Santorum with SOME communication skills AND his abhorrent viewpoints is definitely not what we need. Thanks for nothing CNN, but at least you finally booted the asshole.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

And it's not just Sanfuckingtorum. Since 2015 they have had a string of truth assassins on, for reasons that do not escape me (clicks;rating).

Remember the Lewandowski era?

Claiming that neutering the truth = being neutral is the essence of media complicity, IMO.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

So, how long before DJT gets a contract to spew on guest panels? :waiting:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:roll:

When I signed on with CNN, I understood I would be providing commentary that is not regularly heard by the typical CNN viewer. I appreciate the opportunity CNN provided me over the past 4 years. I am committed to continuing the fight for our conservative principles and values.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:16 pm So, how long before DJT gets a contract to spew on guest panels? :waiting:
He wouldn't do it as he would have to remain quiet for long periods of time to allow the others to talk, and every moment he is not the center of attention would be a cold spike in his heart. Plus he would have to be through a television as (a) he would have to walk into an environment where people would not constantly applaud him for everything he said, (b) his incontinence would be a big issue and people wouldn't want to sit beside him after a while, and there is no way the information wouldn't, er, leak and (c) he is bone lazy and wouldn't want to walk into the CNN studios every few days.

Also people would be able to prove he is wrong. No way.
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:02 pm [(b) his incontinence would be a big issue and people wouldn't want to sit beside him after a while, and there is no the the information wouldn't, er, leak
Oh gosh, bad image... but probably right on the mark. :lol:
filly

Post by filly »

I've read that these consultants make a ton of money. I am curious as to whether they get paid a straight retainer or get paid by their appearances.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:57 pm I've read that these consultants make a ton of money. I am curious as to whether they get paid a straight retainer or get paid by their appearances.
I was kinda wondering that, myself. How compensation is structured.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”