Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Media Moves

Post by Luke »

Fuck Frothy*. Hated he was ever there.

They are trade secrets, but The Hollywood Reporter revealed many of the Fox News amounts because they were required to be disclosed. Warning: Some are sickening like $569,423 for John Bolton. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... s-1193630/

This was at the end of that story:
While CNN’s contributor salaries are also a trade secret, THR has learned that one former contributor who left the network in the past two years earned a salary of about $75,000 per year

Here's a quick primer on the difference, written on Quora by a reputable guy:
Jonathan Bates, Senior executive @ HBO, CNET, NBC, Ocean.com, JWT
Answered 1 year ago · Author has 1.5K answers and 6.6M answer views

How much do guests on shows such as Morning Joe and Hardball get paid for their comments and opinions?
Thanks for the A2A. This applies to the MSNBC shows you mentioned and cable news opinion/analysis shows on CNN, FoxNews and MSNBC in general.

If you listen to the introductions of panel members on a show, the host will identify each using specific language that identifies their relationship to the network (and by extension whether they’re compensated for appearing):

“Our special guest…”: When someone is introduced by the host as “our [special] guest tonight is Al Franken” or “here for the interview, Michael Moore,” they aren’t paid an appearance fee because the policy of news divisions at legitimate US networks prohibits payment to interview subjects.

(This is not a universal practice: in many countries like the UK, newspapers, periodicals and TV shows pay everyone. When someone is involved in an especially salacious scandal or is adjacent to a horrific crime, news outlets will often engage in bidding wars to secure an exclusive or public debut interview.)

In the US, the cable news networks fly guests first class to appear on a show, and they are put up in opulent suites at five-star hotels on the network’s dime. If the guest requires executive protection or has staff that usually travel with them, the network will pay for them, too. Almost all expenses related to a guest’s appearance are covered and permitted under network policy.

“MNSBC/CNN Contributor…”: Some of the occasional pundits you see on CNN or MSNBC news shows include journalists and notables with political backgrounds, academics, prolific writers and various flavors of celebrities. Depending on their stature (and/or the negotiating prowess of their managers), contributors are usually contracted under a Retainer Agreement for a limited time period (usually a week, month, several months or annually).

A contributor retainer will usually obligate the pundit to be available for breaking-news events as well as a minimum number of “availabilities” — meaning the network may or may not use them, but they need to be available — per show or per the duration of their retainer.

While the retainer may offer a holding fee ($1–3k to upper five figures), contributors are also paid a per-appearance fee that can range from a couple hundred dollars up to several thousand dollars for each “hit”, or segment of the show they’re featured in. The networks use retainers to keep a stable of experts on-call: when an airplane crashes, they have former National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigators ready to appear on a moment’s notice. The same is true for gun massacres, terrorist attacks, abducted children and dozens of other breaking-news events. It’s also helpful for major political news coverage like elections, the State of the Union address, presidential impeachment or big Supreme Court decision.
Note: Some cable news contributors do not receive any payment, and may be contracted under special arrangement that isn’t technically a retainer. These contributors may be journalists, academic scholars, think-tank representatives or others associated with organizations that prohibit payment for appearances. There are also certain professions with ethical codes that only allow members to receive reimbursements for expenses and travel arrangements associated with their appearances.

“MSNBC/CNN Analyst…” These are the regulars you see on “Morning Joe” or “Deadline: White House”, like John Heilemann, John Meacham and Malcolm Nance. They are typically experts in a field related to politics, government, business or subjects of ongoing coverage. They are paid under a retainer agreement usually running for a year or more, and are restricted from appearing on competing cable news network during and for a ‘blackout’ period after the their retainer is in effect. This doesn’t prevent them from having another job or even working as a journalist, as long as their work is non-competitive and no conflict of interest exists between their primary career and their analyst role.

The reputation and stature of a network news analyst usually determines the compensation they’re paid under a retainer. It’s not unusual for a network analyst to receive $50k, $100k or low to mid six-figures per year, especially if they’re uniquely qualified experts or have a high profile.
https://www.quora.com/What-do-the-talki ... o-how-much

* If you don't know the frothy Santorium story, he deserved it and it's here (but it's graphic):
Campaign for the neologism "santorum"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_ ... antorum%22

What kicked it off was Frothy's "Man on Dog" comment and his other bigoted, repulsive comments that began with this AP article:
Every society in the history of man has upheld the institution of marriage as a bond between a man and a woman. Why? Because society is based on one thing: that society is based on the future of the society. And that's what? Children. Monogamous relationships. In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing. And when you destroy that you have a dramatic impact on the quality —

AP: I'm sorry, I didn't think I was going to talk about "man on dog" with a United States senator, it's sort of freaking me out.
https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/wa ... erpt_x.htm

So, you know, don't swear much, but Fuck Frothy. Couldn't happen soon enough.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank you Orly, that was so helpful.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

didn't he also bring home a dead child so his other small kids could hold it and say goodbye?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:16 pm didn't he also bring home a dead child so his other small kids could hold it and say goodbye?
He did. It was a premature baby.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:16 pm didn't he also bring home a dead child so his other small kids could hold it and say goodbye?
oH Heck he did that, too,.. :shock: Had forgotten, or wanted to forget.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

that is strange
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

What a snob.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Here's the opening from SNL last night... what a year!

Bonus: Judge Jeanine!

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:08 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm
oH Heck he did that, too,.. :shock: Had forgotten, or wanted to forget.
He was my Congress Critter. :cantlook:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:sick: :notlistening:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... an-hannity
The former Republican senator Rick Santorum has claimed he was “savaged for telling the truth” after remarks on Native Americans that led to his firing as CNN contributor.

His host on Monday night, Sean Hannity, asked: “I assume the application is in at Fox [News] or no?”

Santorum, 63, was a senator from Pennsylvania between 1995 and 2007 and ran for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012 and 2016. A conservative Catholic, strongly anti-abortion, he attracted support on the pre-Trump hard right of the party.

In April, Santorum told the Young Americans Foundation the US was founded on “Judeo-Christian values”, and that there was “nothing” in North America before Europeans colonists arrived.

“We came here and created a blank slate,” he said. “We birthed a nation from nothing. I mean, there was nothing here. I mean, yes we have Native Americans, but candidly there isn’t much Native American culture in American culture.”
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Yes, and I didn't see what the horror was about. My sisters friends baby was born still born and the Body was passed around to all her family and her friends (including me) while we were in the hospital. The man had just lost his child, and I am not going to begrudge anyone their grief, or how they express it.

Have a bit of compassion, rather than using a family tragedy as another whip to beat the man.
Hic sunt dracones
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

You don't see how having children hold a corpse could possibly be emotionally damaging to them? Because I feel like developmental psychologists would probably be the first ones to stand up and suggest that's a really good way to mess up your kids for life.

I choose to have compassion for the kids, not the self-indulgent father who places his own satisfaction above their mental well-being.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:14 am You don't see how having children hold a corpse could possibly be emotionally damaging to them? Because I feel like developmental psychologists would probably be the first ones to stand up and suggest that's a really good way to mess up your kids for life.

I choose to have compassion for the kids, not the self-indulgent father who places his own satisfaction above their mental well-being.
I'm not so sure.

The emotional damage, IMHO, is the result of the abhorence and fear of dead things, especially people. That is a learned behavior.

Respectfully holding a dead baby may actually teach the child that there is nothing to fear from a dead body, and to teach him/her the respect that is due the remains of another human being, especially a loved one.

I am not a behavioral psychologist, so I can't profess to know exactly what goes on in the mind of a child, except for my experience of having been a child. I'm not sure that what I have suggested has any basis in fact, either.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I grew up on a farm. I saw dead animal babies all the time. Shielding them from dead things is saying you cant bring a Child to an open cast funeral and touch their loved ones hands, or hold a dead pet. Death is there.

Would I bring a stillborn baby home? No, but I'm not going to look down on anyone who decides to, or wants their baby to visit their home once before going into the ground. Everyone is self indulgent in the grieving process.

The man is a human being.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes, it sounds creepy, and in the past the moms didn't even get to see the their stillborn babies. That's changed. The parents usually hold their baby for a long time. Family members and friends will join them. And yes, the siblings, too, sometimes at home so that the whole family can say goodbye together. It depends on the parents and their children. The family is often better able to move through the grieving process after spending time with the baby.

The alternative is for the parents to return home and say nope, no baby. It died/went to heaven/whatever. Is that more or less upsetting for children and their parents? That will depend on the family.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/rick-sant ... d=15306750
But some mental health experts believe the Santorums may have been ahead of their time by ritualizing their son's death in order to exorcize their grief, though they say taking a body home is unusual and not recommended.

In the context of the times -- the year was 1996 when the family buried Gabriel -- their behavior was understandable, according to Dr. David Diamond, a psychologist and co-author of the 2005 book "Unsung Lullabies."

Helen Coons, a clinical psychologist and president of Women's Mental Health Associates in Philadelphia, said couples are not encouraged to bring a deceased fetus home.
The fetus was only twenty weeks.

People grieve in all kinds of ways and whatever works is okay with me, but a twenty-week fetus seems a little off the norm for that.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:00 am
The fetus was only twenty weeks.

People grieve in all kinds of ways and whatever works is okay with me, but a twenty-week fetus seems a little off the norm for that.
So how do you handle a dead fetus at home? Do you get a bag of ice and put it in a cooler? Or in the fridge next to the mayo? :?
Lani

Post by Lani »

No. The baby is wrapped in a blanket, and those who chose to do so hug the baby. It's not like this goes on for days. The parents check out of the hospital, take the child home or to the funeral home, and people close to them visit and if they want to, hold the child.

Not so many years ago, parents were just supposed to move on, no honoring of their loss. I'm fine with what parents need to do to express their love and their grief.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

filly wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:27 pm
What crops do they have to report on in the DPRK
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Crops have been plentiful since the Divine Kim defeated the Renegade Sandworm in hand to hand combat
Hic sunt dracones
Luke

Post by Luke »

Amazon bought MGM, home of James Bond and one of the most iconic studios. $8.45 billion. MGM has been struggling, but these mega acquisitions reduce competition and we need that.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

orlylicious wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:06 am Amazon bought MGM, home of James Bond and one of the most iconic studios. $8.45 billion. MGM has been struggling, but these mega acquisitions reduce competition and we need that.
MGM (and UA) has been bought and sold multiple times by various players over the last 40 years. Sony had them for a while, Turner too (mainly for the pre-1986 library). I dislike the mega-mergers but I have also found the studios have been bought, sold, split up, folded, spindled, mutilated, buried in soft peat for three months, and recycled as firelighters so many times it is tough to even recognize which one is which anymore.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Gotta piss off the former asshole, though, another reminder that Bezos is a billionaire and he's not.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:40 pm Gotta piss off the former asshole, though, another reminder that Bezos is a billionaire and he's not.
Of course the current asshole is a billionaire. If he lists his assets and hides his liabilities.
Il factotum

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”