Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:59 pm So I just started watching episode #1 of Redemption. I'm gonna keep an open mind... and let it roll. I miss Nathan but I'll see if they can make this work.
My fears were unfounded. This reboot does proper respect to the original series.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

We're still on our Hawaii Five-O kick :P

This is the original Pilot: https://mega-stream.to/tv/hawaii-fiveo-38782.129472 It's no surprise CBS picked this up after this pilot, it's really well shot and done. "Stephen Aloysius "Steve" McGarrett (Jack Lord) is embroiled in a tale of espionage and murder in this story, which marks the first appearance of villain Wo Fat (Khigh Dhiegh). Andrew Duggan, Leslie Nielsen, Soon-Tek Oh, Nancy Kwan and Lew Ayres guest star. Only appearance of Tim O'Kelly as Danny "Danno" Williams." Tim starred with Boris Karloff in Peter Bogdanovich's Targets in 1968. Also a pretty blond but test audiences thought he looked too young so Jimmy MacArthur replaced him.

Poor Zulu... his manager screwed him over and after he left her he found out she copyrighted his name and he couldn't use it. He had to call himself Zoulou after that. Gilbert Francis Lani Damian Kauhi October 17, 1937 – May 3, 2004. Kauhi was an accomplished surfer; he was known in Hawaii by the honorific "Waikiki Beach Boy." He was apparently a really funny guy, he left the show because he thought his part was a "dumb Hawaiian". He was a "stand-up comedian, mimic, and singer, described by one journalist as 'part Godfrey Cambridge, part Zero Mostel'". We'd love to see that. In 1971, he signed a $2.5 million contract (!) to appear at C'est Si Bon Showroom in the Pagoda Hotel and Restaurant. Can't find clips.

Zulu.JPG
Zulu.JPG (40.86 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Season 2 Episode 2 is "To Hell With Babe Ruth", a Pearl Harbor story (which was only a bit over 20 years when this was shot). Didn't know the Babe Ruth reference is to what the Japanese yelled on their radios. https://mega-stream.to/tv/hawaii-fiveo-38782.129475

They featured great guest stars, if you like seeing young versions of folks who made it big. The beautiful Hawaii 60's scenery (shot on film) is a nice change of pace. Definitely good with cocktails with umbrellas too also. :P

ETA: We want to watch some of these with Lani :lovestruck:

Season 1 in 1968 is really amazing -- the cars, the language (dig, trip, all that slang, guess Hawaiians used "brudder" for brother) the police equipment, communications (reel to reel tape, rotary phones), and the cultural issues (several are about Vietnam with kids protesting). Several episodes deal with the islands being commercialized and how many natives weren't happy about it.There were a lot of anti-drug messages too.

This one is a college professor who gets kids to turn on and tune out. The "trips" feature psychedelic visuals and music with temple bells and all kinds of crazy stuff. They show a mental ward at one point. The professor is Ed Flanders, whom you may remember as Dr. Donald Westphall on St. Elsewhere (1982) and many other roles: https://mega-stream.to/tv/hawaii-fiveo-38782.129462

This one is also interesting, Jackie Coogan stars in "Face of the Dragon". He did three H5Os. We all remember him as Uncle Fester in The Addams Family, but astonishingly, his first performance was in 1917! Charlie Chaplin's film classic The Kid (1921) made him one of the first child stars in the history of Hollywood. He was married to Betty Grable for a while. He has one hell of a story.

Bio:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Coogan

Credits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Co ... note-tvg-5

Episode: https://mega-stream.to/tv/hawaii-fiveo-38782.129463

Here's an episode with John Ritter S4 E5: https://mega-stream.to/tv/hawaii-fiveo-38782.129526

Look how pretty young John was :lovestruck:

Ritter 1.JPG
Ritter 1.JPG (73.54 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

Ritter 3.JPG
Ritter 3.JPG (103.95 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/afric ... uxbndlbing
African American Film Critics Association Awards: ‘Lovecraft Country,’ ‘Underground Railroad’ Among Big Winners

The big winners — chosen by a jury of select AAFCA members — include the Emmy-nominated HBO drama series Lovecraft Country, which was voted best actor (Jonathan Majors) and best actress (Jurnee Smollett), and Amazon limited series The Underground Railroad, which was tapped for best limited series and best director (Barry Jenkins).

“This year’s honorees reflect a healthy variety of content that is not only entertaining but also mirrors the diversity of storytelling within the Black community,” AAFCA co-founder and president Gil Robertson said in a statement. “The TV Honors jury recognizes a multitude of voices, both emerging and established, whose work attests to the heterogeneity of the Black experience.” Added Robertson, “We are most hopeful that the vast array of offerings this year point to a permanent shift in the quality and depth of storytelling capturing the Black experience on television.”

A full list of winners follows.

Best Drama: “Queen Sugar,” OWN

Best Comedy: “A Black Lady Sketch Show,” HBO

Best Limited Series: “The Underground Railroad,” Amazon Prime Video

Best Movie: “Sylvie’s Love,” Amazon Prime Video

Best Director: Barry Jenkins, “The Underground Railroad,” Amazon Prime Video

Best Writing: “Queen Sugar,” OWN

Best Actor: Jonathan Majors, “Lovecraft Country,” HBO

Best Actress: Jurnee Smollett, “Lovecraft Country,” HBO

Best Docuseries: “Exterminate All the Brutes,” HBO and “High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America,” Netflix

Best New Show: “The Equalizer,” CBS
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

:cheer2: :cheer2:
Queen Sugar
:lovestruck: :lovestruck:

Some of the crew I'm working with on the set were crew for Queen Sugar and they love to tease me about my obsession with it. But they won't tell me if Blue will be back next season.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I recently found something I didn't think existed: gavel to gavel coverage of the Senate Watergate Hearings from 1973.

https://americanarchive.org/exhibits/wa ... e-coverage

I needed something to watch that wasn't MSNBC but was still relevant to what is on my mind. So I watch the political junk that got this political junkie started lo these many years ago.

Watching John Ehrlichman lie through his teeth or E. Howard Hunt calling Daniel Ellsberg an animal is a nice counterpoint to our current crisis.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Thanks for that, p0rtia!

I was a 13yo All My Children junkie, surviving on Soap Opera Digest & TV Guide synopses between school holidays & summer vacation, and was thoroughly P.O'd that those stupid hearings were preempting the doings of Pine Valley and that bitch, Erica Kane.

Then I started watching the hearings and, like you, that was the beginning of my fascination with politics, government, & world affairs.

(I also stuck with All My Children and that bitch, Erica Kane, until the late 90s, but we don't need to talk about that.)
Image Image Image Image
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I prefer the machinations of Ray Donovan over poli-teevee. Plus all seven seasons are on Peacock if anyone is interested.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Clarkson’s Farm on Amazon Prime.

It’s fun! Obscenely wealthy guy (British TV personality) owns a farm in the Cotswolds, farmer who’s been running the farm retires, Clarkson decides to run it himself.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
filly

Post by filly »

I watched Athlete A on Netflix last night. Extremely well done! You will never watch the Olympics in the same way again.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Season 2 of Ted Lasso does not disappoint!
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

The Last Ship (Hulu/TNT -- 2014–2018)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402207/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
The Last Ship opens with a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Because of its positioning, the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James avoids falling victim to the tragedy. Now the crew and captain must confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they may be among the few remaining survivors.

https://www.hulu.com/watch/d2181842-476 ... 594c494bc5
Tiredretiredlawyer

Bizarre Murders on True Crime Network. The producers take a campy, snarky approach with each episode filmed differently. If you like solving true murder mysteries with melodrama, snarky retired FBI agent commentary, hysterical reenactments, and great production values, this is the show for you.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://variety.com/2021/film/global/le ... 235032389/
Led Zeppelin Documentary, With Unprecedented Access to Band, Has Been Completed

American Epic” director Bernard MacMahon has revealed the title of his long-awaited and recently completed Led Zeppelin feature documentary: “Becoming Led Zeppelin.”

The project, which was first announced in 2019, has unprecedented access to the band, marking the first and only time the group has participated in a documentary in 50 years. Though 1976 doc “The Song Remains the Same” centred on the band, that was largely a concert film of a series of Madison Square Garden performances in 1973.

“’Becoming Led Zeppelin’ is a film that no one thought could be made,” said MacMahon. “The band’s meteoric rise to stardom was swift and virtually undocumented. Through an intense search across the globe and years of restoration of the visual and audio archive found, this story is finally able to be told.”

A release date hasn’t yet been set for the pic. Altitude Film Sales and Submarine Entertainment will be co-repping sales.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:01 am https://variety.com/2021/film/global/le ... 235032389/
Led Zeppelin Documentary, With Unprecedented Access to Band, Has Been Completed

American Epic” director Bernard MacMahon has revealed the title of his long-awaited and recently completed Led Zeppelin feature documentary: “Becoming Led Zeppelin.”

The project, which was first announced in 2019, has unprecedented access to the band, marking the first and only time the group has participated in a documentary in 50 years. Though 1976 doc “The Song Remains the Same” centred on the band, that was largely a concert film of a series of Madison Square Garden performances in 1973.

“’Becoming Led Zeppelin’ is a film that no one thought could be made,” said MacMahon. “The band’s meteoric rise to stardom was swift and virtually undocumented. Through an intense search across the globe and years of restoration of the visual and audio archive found, this story is finally able to be told.”

A release date hasn’t yet been set for the pic. Altitude Film Sales and Submarine Entertainment will be co-repping sales.
Everyone that bought their first album at a Kmart with your own money as a kid, raise your hand.

:callonme:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:callonme:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

imho, the first Led Zeppelin album is the only album I ever heard that doesn't have one bad song. I shall listen to that album in its entirety later this morning. :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

"The Vault" on Netflix movies. Another bank heist movie that is enjoyable and worth the watch. They even make a reference to Oceans 11 in it. Good acting by some familiar faces, and some new ones. They've got the four pillars of any well rounded convoluted impossible story - the geek, the girl, the goons, and the government. With some very interesting speculation on how to crack an otherwise uncrackable safe. As with such movies, they lean on deus ex machina. So, leave your credulity at the door, and go for the ride. Be the willow. Enjoy the crime.
Last edited by Foggy on Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speling/grammer
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm watching The White Lotus on HBO. It's cutting satire on the one percent, but I don't like anyone in it. You learn right out of the gate that one of the people dies, but no one is sympathetic. It's got great critical reviews on The Guardian, but I have a hard time watching (or reading) things where I dislike everyone.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... mike-white
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Very cool about the Watergate hearings, thank you!!

The fabulous Aretha Franklin documentary concert "Amazing Grace" directed by Sydney Pollack is on Kanopy for free. What an incredible experience. There's a long story you can find about Aretha not giving permission to release it for decades for some reason. When she passed, the estate finally let the film be released. Missing the Queen (who made THE BEST fried chicken and cobbler ever, had some of the best fringe benefits ever. Fortunately, wasn't there when Aretha's hot plate went up in flames one night at a hotel and she wasn't hurt. Patti LaBelle's was excellent too. :P )

Amazing Grace | Kanopy https://www.kanopy.com › product › amazing-grace-0
A documentary presenting the live recording of Aretha Franklin's album AMAZING GRACE at The New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Watts, Los Angeles.

Trailer:

We wish we could be watching with Lani!! :lovestruck: We're still having fun with Hawaii 5-0, up to Season 4 (there's like 24 episodes a season and 12 seasons). It's amazing to see the guest stars, and the repeating actors, we look them up after the episodes and some are still alive. It was a total treat to find out that not only is Eric Braeden still alive, he's on Twitter! https://twitter.com/EBraeden He's an anti-Trumper and yells at folks with their stupid anti-vax BS. We've passed a few DMs, we have friends in common. Eric started working in 1961 and has done 3,514 episodes of Young and the Restless until present day! These working actors have our utmost respect, look at the length and breadth of his career. So many of the H50 actors worked and worked and worked. A young Marion Ross was a nurse, Ricardo Montalban did several episodes, Buddy Ebsen, Leslie Nielsen, and on and on... seems like lots wanted to get a free trip to the sunshine. H50 filmed almost everything practical (on locations), they just had one soundstage (near Pearl Harbor, it was the 1st soundstage in Hawaii). Most episodes had 20+ locations so they were doing 3 setups a day (!). 85-90 hour shooting weeks, 8 days an episode. And as mentioned, we love the old cars, the technology, the artwork, the funky 60's music soundtrack, the gloss look of the film, and the beautiful scenery. Must have watched a few years ago, but they've cleaned up the prints beautifully.

Here's a clip with John Ritter:

► Show Spoiler
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:27 am I'm watching The White Lotus on HBO. It's cutting satire on the one percent, but I don't like anyone in it. You learn right out of the gate that one of the people dies, but no one is sympathetic. It's got great critical reviews on The Guardian, but I have a hard time watching (or reading) things where I dislike everyone.

Those are my favorite!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... mike-white
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Still mired in Chinese dramas, but branching out to a few Taiwanese and Japanese for variety. I have a hard time with Korean dramas. The cadence of the language is odd, it sounds like everyone is being arrogantly sarcastic.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:25 am "The Vault" on Netflix movies. Another bank heist movie that is enjoyable and worth the watch. They even make a reference to Oceans 11 in it. Good acting by some familiar faces, and some new ones. They've got the four pillars of any well rounded convoluted impossible story - the geek, the girl, the goons, and the government. With some very interesting speculation on how to crack an otherwise uncrackable safe. As with such movies, they lean on deus ex machina. So, leave your credulity at the door, and go for the ride. Be the willow. Enjoy the crime.
That was a good recommend. Thanks. :thumbsup:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:12 pm
bill_g wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:25 am "The Vault" on Netflix movies. Another bank heist movie that is enjoyable and worth the watch. They even make a reference to Oceans 11 in it. Good acting by some familiar faces, and some new ones. They've got the four pillars of any well rounded convoluted impossible story - the geek, the girl, the goons, and the government. With some very interesting speculation on how to crack an otherwise uncrackable safe. As with such movies, they lean on deus ex machina. So, leave your credulity at the door, and go for the ride. Be the willow. Enjoy the crime.
That was a good recommend. Thanks. :thumbsup:
Definitely don't mess with that bank.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I think this is where someone posted the video of Jane Marczewski -aka Nightbirde - singing on AGT. Sadly, she had to drop out of the competition.
Ohio singer Jane Marczewski – who earned a Golden Buzzer on "America's Got Talent" following an emotional performance about being more than her cancer – has withdrawn from the NBC talent competition to focus on her health.

Marczewski, who performed under the stage name Nightbirde, revealed on Instagram Monday that her "health has taken a turn for the worse" since her audition.

"I am so sad to announce that I won’t be able to continue forward on this season of AGT," she wrote. "Life doesn’t always give breaks to those that deserve it — but we knew that already."

:snippity:

During her captivating audition that aired in June, Marczewski said she has a "2% chance of survival" with "some cancer in my lungs, spine and liver." Marczewski added, "But 2% isn't 0%. Two percent is something and I wish people knew how amazing it is."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 459235001/
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I am fixated on a new trial in Mandan, North Dakota. State v. Isaaks. Four people were killed execution style in the early morning hours of April 1, 2019. Police followed suspect on business security cams to a McDonald's where suspect got in a white Ford F150 at a McDonald's. Employee saw him, but he was masked. Security cams caught his truck traveling to nearby Washburn where a deputy there identified the truck as perhaps being his chiropractor's. Photos were then taken of chiropractor's truck and matched with video footage.

Arrest and search warrants were executed. Prosecutors are methodically entering the mountain of evidence against this guy. One business owner testified he also found footage of a masked person entering his property on the way to the murder location one week to the day before the murders. Court TV network.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”