Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gun Control

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Gun Control

Post by Volkonski »

Tennessee Woman Shoots at Burger King Employees After Filling Her Order Took Too Long

https://www.newsweek.com/tennessee-woma ... ng-1580999
Officials said the woman, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, got out of the "mid-sized, four-door, gray sedan" and approached the drive-thru window, where a verbal altercation began between her and the workers at the Burger King.

"Video surveillance shows the suspect retrieve a black handgun from the vehicle, extend her upper body through the drive-thru window, and fire several shots at the Burger King workers," police said.

"The workers fled from the gunfire through the rear door of the business and were unharmed," police added.

The woman returned to the car after the workers ran for cover and left. A man was reportedly driving the car.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

:blackeye:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Anita Kumar
@anitakumar01
NEWS: Biden to unveil long-awaited executive action on guns tomorrow. He will be joined by Merrick Garland.

https://t.co/sy2xAotIOD?amp=1
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

The Gateway House of Boys is not happy about this. Jim Hoft likes his boys packing!
JUST IN: Joe Biden to Announce Six Executive Actions on Gun Control, Including “Red Flag” Laws For States to Model
By Cristina Laila
Published April 7, 2021 at 8:10pm

Joe Biden and his Marxist handlers announced six ‘initial’ executive actions on gun control Wednesday evening. Joe Biden is breaking his pledge to protect and defend the US Constitution just a few months after stealing the 2020 election. The Biden White House cited the recent shootings in Boulder (Islamic terrorist) and Atlanta (sex addict) in its gun control announcement and claimed the executive actions are “fully within the Admin’s authority and the Second Amendment.”

Today, the Biden-Harris Administration is announcing six initial actions to address the gun violence public health epidemic. The recent high-profile mass shootings in Boulder – taking the lives of 10 individuals – and Atlanta – taking the lives of eight individuals, including six Asian American women – underscored the relentlessness of this epidemic.

President Biden is reiterating his call for Congress to pass legislation to reduce gun violence. Last month, a bipartisan coalition in the House passed two bills to close loopholes in the gun background check system. Congress should close those loopholes and go further, including by closing “boyfriend” and stalking loopholes that currently allow people found by the courts to be abusers to possess firearms, banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines, repealing gun manufacturers’ immunity from liability, and investing in evidence-based community violence interventions. Congress should also pass an appropriate national “red flag” law, as well as legislation incentivizing states to pass “red flag” laws of their own.

But this Administration will not wait for Congress to act to take its own steps – fully within the Administration’s authority and the Second Amendment – to save lives.

Biden’s six executive actions include:

The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns.”
The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act.
The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states: Red flag laws allow family members or law enforcement to petition for a court order temporarily barring people in crisis from accessing firearms if they present a danger to themselves or others.
The Administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions.
The Justice Department will issue an annual report on firearms trafficking.
The President will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
This is just the beginning of Joe Biden’s war on the Second Amendment.

Biden also called on Congress to pass gun control legislation.
:thumbsup:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Huh. I wonder how ghost guns got on the list. They are pretty rare, mostly the domain of hobbyists and home gunsmiths,.. plus they are already illegal to transfer. Crap, I bet someone circulated videos about that asshat 'printing ghost guns on 3d printers!' and panicked...
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neeneko wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 am Huh. I wonder how ghost guns got on the list. They are pretty rare, mostly the domain of hobbyists and home gunsmiths,.. plus they are already illegal to transfer. Crap, I bet someone circulated videos about that asshat 'printing ghost guns on 3d printers!' and panicked...
There are 3D designs, CNC machines optimized for producing gun parts, and companies that specialize in supplying parts for the do-it-yourself gun maker. Lots of anti-control 'collectors' are turning to home-built guns to get around registration and disqualification. Terrorist/criminals have used ghost guns in their shooting sprees since at least 2017.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

keith wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 am There are 3D designs, CNC machines optimized for producing gun parts, and companies that specialize in supplying parts for the do-it-yourself gun maker. Lots of anti-control 'collectors' are turning to home-built guns to get around registration and disqualification. Terrorist/criminals have used ghost guns in their shooting sprees since at least 2017.
All true, but I wonder how big a problem is vs how heavy handed of a solution is going to be proposed. I worry that we are going to see yet another economic barrier to entry thing where they will just make it more expensive. I am not sure what they can do to deal with the illegal sale that they are not already doing, so the few remaining options involve making it more difficult to get components, for instance requiring an FFL to purchase them and then put pressure on the companies that produce parts for the hobby market.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Baby fatally shot by 3-year-old brother, Houston police say
https://abc13.com/houston-crime-child-s ... /10502109/

Toddler gets a hold of gun, dies in accidental shooting while dad was making lunch
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... mpaign=snd

Day after day.....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
tek

Post by tek »

A father was making lunch for his children in their Baker home Wednesday when the day turned tragic: A gun, recently purchased for protection, somehow landed in the hands of a curious toddler, who pulled the trigger before anyone could intervene.
"somehow" ?
:mad:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

:bag:

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

It’s confusing that, for example, driving a vehicle is probably more ingrained in the everyday lives of more people than gun ownership, yet the vast majority see the reasoning behind and efficacy of road safety laws including seatbelts, child seats, sobriety etc. It’s not that everyone always observes these laws or that at times they might inconvenience/annoy them, but the fact they are widely accepted and enforced. The “special” position of guns in American society seems to mean that, although there are well established safety practices and behaviours that are observed by many, whenever negligence results in an injury or fatality is is just an “accident”. Although making those practices and behaviours mandatory in law does not address any of the other issues related to guns, it would reduce the number of “accidents”. (Stonekettle has written several good blog posts about this and related topics).
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Would leaving a glass of cyanide laced cola be any less dangerous than a loaded gun to a child?

Would leaving that out be less an “accident”?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

:bored:

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Gregg wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:41 pm ...fify
:biggrin:
Dave from down under

A while ago there was some discussion about what NSW hunters use on dear etc.
I forgot to quizz my friend the super keen hunter.. but saw this answer to a Budget Estimates question

Important - the weapons used are permitted for vertebrate pest control if the firer is suitably licensed, they would not be available to a recreational hunter.

LLS = Local Land Service (these were part of the Department of Primary Industries, now they are semi independent)

101. What firearms are used by Local Land Services for aerial pest control?

ANSWER: 101. LLS utilises FN Herstel SCAR-17H and the Benelli M-4 Shotgun for aerial shooting
operations, which are technically categorised a Prohibited Firearm by the NSW Firearms
Registry. LLS has 28 FN Herstel SCAR-17H and 12 Benelli M-4 Shotguns used specifically for Aerial
Shooting operations

96. What were the vertebrate species targeted?
ANSWER: 96. Feral pigs, goats, dogs, foxes, deer, cats and donkeys.
97. How many animals of each targeted species were shot in calendar years 2018, 2019, 2020 and
2021 (to 1 March)?
a) What became of the animals that were shot – were they utilised or disposed of in any way?
ANSWER: 97.
Year Pigs Goats Dogs Foxes Deer Cats Donkey
2018 15759 1704 11 241 8265 65 0
2019 7920 395 3 145 5428 19 319
2020 5773 350 6 67 2982 5 50
2021 429 93 0 4 28 0 0
a) Animals confirmed dead and left in-situ.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-24/ ... /100160832

A man accused of trafficking dozens of high-powered guns across state borders and selling them to alleged criminals on the black market for a significant profit has pleaded not guilty to weapons offences.

Key points:
It is the first time the offence has been prosecuted in Queensland
The prosecutor said the plan was to put guns "into the hands of people who weren't meant to have them"
Police don't know what happened to at least 82 guns
Wayne Yanko is on trial in the Brisbane District Court facing four counts of the cross-border offence of acquisition of a firearm.

It is the first time the offence has been prosecuted in Queensland.

Crown prosecutor Lincoln Crowley alleged that in 2016 Mr Yanko and two other men devised a plan to obtain a gun dealer licence under a business name so they could legally purchase weapons and then on-sell them to people who were not licensed.

"This plan was about getting those guns and moving them out of the system," he told the court.

Mr Crowley said it was alleged the group bought 131 semiautomatic handguns, the majority from stores in Brisbane, and shipped them to customers who were alleged criminals in New South Wales and Western Australia.

"What was being done, was to get them into the hands of people who weren't meant to have them," he said.

The court heard the group used encrypted messaging applications to talk about the types of guns they should purchase, including 9mm NP22 and NP42 pistols.

-----------------------------

under Commonwealth legislation
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2004A01078
360.2 Cross‑border offence of disposal or acquisition of a firearm
Penalty: Imprisonment for 10 years or a fine of 2,500 penalty units, or both.
(2) Absolute liability applies to the paragraph (1)(a) element of the offence.

under Queensland legislation
https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view ... pt.3-div.2
36 Sale or disposal of weapons
(a)for a category D, H or R weapon—100 penalty units or 2 years imprisonment; and
(b)for a category C or E weapon—60 penalty units or 1 year’s imprisonment; and
(c)for a category A or B weapon or a category M crossbow—20 penalty units or 6 months imprisonment.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57239610
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Uninformed wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:38 pm “Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57239610
They did that in Iowa this year. Conceal carry with no permit required. What can go wrong? It will reduce the number of Iowans who want to conceal carry in other states. States that offer reciprocity usually require that you have a permit in your home state.
Il factotum
Dave from down under

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-06- ... /100213260

West Australians in possession of a gel blaster after July 3 could face three years behind bars under a ban imposed amid concerns the toy guns look too much like real firearms.

Key points:

Anyone caught with a gel blaster after July 3 will face serious penalties
This includes up to three years in jail or a fine of up to $36,000
There were 147 call outs to gel blaster-related incidents last year
Police Minister Paul Papalia warned a "tragedy [was] just waiting to happen" because the similarities between gel blasters and real guns meant police officers were "incapable" or "hard-pressed" to spot the difference out in the field.

He said that had lead to incidents triggering a significant police response.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Huh. Does AU not have the same 'toy guns must have brightly coloured barrel tip' rule? Seems like that would be a better solution than banning the toys completely.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Seriously?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ireland also has rules against too realistic guns, due to the terrorist nastiness that happened. If you are caught with a Bibi gun its the same as being caught with a real gun. They take it very seriously over here.

I don't 100% agree with it personally but I can understand it. Shops have been robbed with people using Bibi guns.
Hic sunt dracones
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:05 am Huh. Does AU not have the same 'toy guns must have brightly coloured barrel tip' rule? Seems like that would be a better solution than banning the toys completely.
It's just an orange plastic plug, easily popped off or painted over. About the absolute most useless gun-related law I can think of.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:09 pm
neeneko wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:05 am Huh. Does AU not have the same 'toy guns must have brightly coloured barrel tip' rule? Seems like that would be a better solution than banning the toys completely.
It's just an orange plastic plug, easily popped off or painted over. About the absolute most useless gun-related law I can think of.
Tamir Rice was killed over a toy gun. Here is a pic of it.

I don't know how or where he got it, but it cost him his life. I came across a 15 year old realistic airsoft gun (it still had the orange plastic though) this weekend that I had purchased for one of my older children, it isn't getting passed down. It went straight into the trash. After I took it apart. I don't know WTF I was thinking, but it isn't worth it. My kid likes to have Nerf battles with his friends in the halls of our building. Even those brightly colored plastic obviously fantasy "weapons" make me nervous once he walks out the door. All it takes is one cop with an itchy trigger finger, and that could be the end. I think once we leave NYC, that will be the last of the Nerf guns leaving the house. The potential downside is just to terrifying to imagine.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”