Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Haitian President Assassinated at Home

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Yikes.
Jovenel Moïse's wife, first lady Martine Moïse, has been hospitalized.

In this Sept. 27, 2018, file photo, Haiti's President Jovenel Moise addresses the 73rd session of the United Nations General Assembly, at U.N. headquarters in New York.
Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated after a group of unidentified people attacked his private residence.
By ASSOCIATED PRESS 07/07/2021 06:48 AM EDT

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Hatii — Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated after a group of unidentified people attacked his private residence, the country’s interim prime minister said in a statement Wednesday.

First lady Martine Moïse is hospitalized after the attack late Tuesday, interim Premier Claude Joseph said.

Joseph condemned what he called a “hateful, inhumane and barbaric act,” adding that Haiti’s National Police and other authorities had the situation in the Caribbean country under control.

The nation of more than 11 million people had grown increasingly unstable and disgruntled under Moïse's rule. Its economic, political and social woes have deepened, with gang violence spiking heavily in the capital of Port-au-Prince, inflation spiraling and food and fuel becoming scarcer at times in a country where 60% of the population makes less than $2 a day. These troubles come as Haiti still tries to recover from the devastating 2010 earthquake and Hurricane Matthew that struck in 2016.

Moïse, 53, had been ruling by decree for more than two years after the country failed to hold elections, which led to Parliament being dissolved. Opposition leaders have accused him of seeking to increase his power, including approving a decree that limited the powers of a court that audits government contracts and another that created an intelligence agency that answers only to the president.

In recent months, opposition leaders demanded the he step down, arguing that his term legally ended in February 2021. Moïse and supporters maintained that his term began when he took office in early 2017, following a chaotic election that forced the appointment of a provisional president to serve during a yearlong gap.

Haiti was scheduled to hold general elections later this year.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/0 ... ome-498510

This may push back Sharon Rondeau and Orly Taitz' plans to fund and hold a Birther Summit in Port-Au-Prince.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Chilidog

Re: BREAKING: Haitian President Assassinated at Home

Post by Chilidog »

All the nutter on Facebook are blaming the Clintons
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

All planning done in the basement of a pizza shop?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Off Topic
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Attachments
burned child.jpg
burned child.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
stitch removal 1.jpg
stitch removal 1.jpg (13.33 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
main street.jpg
main street.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
triage.jpg
triage.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Oh, Ms. Daisy. I was there 38 years ago and nothing has changed. I cant remember.if Papa Doc, or Baby Doc ruled then. I went with a church group and even at 14, I was appalled that we were sent with suitcases full of Bibles and money to buy cement to build churches- when there were children being bathed in raw sewage water and *tuberculosis was rampant. This was pretty much my split with organized religion.

I dont understand why some programs cannot be implemented to make big differences. Reforestation, water purification, education and safe structures along with health care.

Granted, I'm not versed in the political history and current temperament, but this new upheaval is tragic.

*I.contracted TB and spent the next year on two medications being monitored by the health department. Today my xrays still show the permanent scar.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:11 pm Oh, Ms. Daisy. I was there 38 years ago and nothing has changed. I cant remember.if Papa Doc, or Baby Doc ruled then. I went with a church group and even at 14, I was appalled that we were sent with suitcases full of Bibles and money to buy cement to build churches- when there were children being bathed in raw sewage water and *tuberculosis was rampant. This was pretty much my split with organized religion.

I dont understand why some programs cannot be implemented to make big differences. Reforestation, water purification, education and safe structures along with health care.

Granted, I'm not versed in the political history and current temperament, but this new upheaval is tragic.

*I.contracted TB and spent the next year on two medications being monitored by the health department. Today my xrays still show the permanent scar.

Poor baby! We went with a church group from our local hospital too.

We also went on a mission to South Africa once and met up with the Phelophepa Healthcare Train a few hours north of Johannesburg but never saw anything there as bad as Haiti.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:11 pm I dont understand why some programs cannot be implemented to make big differences. Reforestation, water purification, education and safe structures along with health care.
Ooof... does that open a can of worms. My lab actually studied this, but it was before my time... but I think the long and the short of it is that all their neighbors, esp the US, wanted the country to fail, and that has not really changed.

One of the few parts I can remember about the model from reading over the results is one of the big questions was : who to give aid money to. Do you give it to the national government? Local government? Local religious groups? NGOs? Turns out the most effective would have been to route it through local gangs. But helping is not the point of aid, so yeah.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Whoa, the ladies on this forum are awesome. I love reading about stuff like that. :lovestruck:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Supposedly, Weisselberg has been fired as the head of Trump's Scottish golf course company......
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:45 pm Supposedly, Weisselberg has been fired as the head of Trump's Scottish golf course company......
Sooo..is he gonna get wacked just like the late Haitian president?
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:51 pm
Chilidog wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:45 pm Supposedly, Weisselberg has been fired as the head of Trump's Scottish golf course company......
Sooo..is he gonna get wacked just like the late Haitian president?
Posted in the wrong place

:oopsy: :oopsy:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Mercenaries, American onvolved
A U.S. citizen is among 6 suspects arrested in the Moïse killing, and Haitian officials say there may be 2.

By Anatoly Kurmanaev, Rick Gladstone, Catherine Porter, Andre Paulte and Harold Isaac
July 8, 2021, 4:14 a.m. ET

One American citizen is among the six people detained in the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse and there may be a second, Haitian officials said Thursday, adding to their assertions that “foreigners” had been involved in the brazen attack.

Nothing was disclosed about one of the suspects, other than that Haitian officials believe him to be Haitian-American, and they offered little detail about the other.

That man was described as being of Haitian descent and has been identified as James Solages, Haiti’s minister of elections, Mathias Pierre, said by telephone from Port-au-Prince. Two other Haitian officials also identified Mr. Solages as the American suspect in custody, describing him as a resident of South Florida who had been apprehended on Wednesday during the manhunt for the assailants.

Angry civilians have also joined in the hunt, capturing some suspects themselves and setting afire vehicles thought to have been used in the attack. Haiti is now basically under martial law after Claude Joseph, the interim prime minister, declared an “état de siège” — a state of siege — that allows the police and members of security forces to enter homes, control traffic and take special security measures. It also forbids meetings meant to excite or prepare for disorder.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/worl ... ested.html
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I wonder how much of this is rounding up actual suspects vs either using events as a pretext for going after some enemies or simply scapegoating. For being 'trained professional mercenaries', they sure got caught quickly.
filly

Post by filly »

Any comments from Eric Prince?
somerset

Post by somerset »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:34 pm I wonder how much of this is rounding up actual suspects vs either using events as a pretext for going after some enemies or simply scapegoating. For being 'trained professional mercenaries', they sure got caught quickly.
That, and also a way of incompetent police pretending to be competent. "See how good we are! We caught the killers in less than 24 hours."
RTH10260

Re: Haitian President Assassinated at Home

Post by RTH10260 »

Haiti police say 26 Colombians, two US-Haitians took part in Jovenel Moïse assassination
Seventeen captured men paraded in front of journalists, as police chief says another three were killed and eight remain on the run

Tom Phillips, Peter Beaumont, Jean Daniel Delone in Port-au-Prince and agencies
Fri 9 Jul 2021 03.49 BST

A heavily armed commando unit that assassinated Haiti’s president, Jovenel Moïse, was composed of 26 Colombians and two Haitian Americans, authorities have said, as the hunt goes on for the masterminds of the killing.

Moïse, 53, was fatally shot early on Wednesday at his home by what officials said was a group of foreign, trained killers, pitching the poorest country in the Americas deeper into turmoil amid political divisions, hunger and widespread gang violence.

Authorities tracked the suspected assassins on Wednesday to a house near the scene of the crime in Petionville, a northern, hillside suburb of the capital, Port-au-Prince. A firefight lasted late into the night and authorities detained a number of suspects on Thursday.

Soldiers patrol in Pétion Ville, the neighbourhood where Jovenel Moïse lived in Port-au-Prince.
‘No one’s in charge’: Haiti faces violent new era after killing of president
Read more
Police chief Charles Leon paraded 17 men before journalists at a news conference late on Thursday, showing a number of Colombian passports plus assault rifles, machetes, walkie-talkies and materials including bolt cutters and hammers.

“Foreigners came to our country to kill the president,” Charles said. “There were 26 Colombians, identified by their passports, and two Haitian Americans as well.”

He said 15 Colombians were captured, as well as two Haitian Americans. Three of the assailants were killed and eight remained on the run, Charles said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -president
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Haiti’s police claim a Florida-based doctor recruited mercenaries.

Christian Emmanuel Sanon, a Florida-based doctor, was arrested in Haiti.

A Haitian-born doctor based in Florida has been arrested as a key suspect in the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse of Haiti, and the national police chief suggested at a news conference that he believed the suspect was plotting to become president.

To date, some two dozen people have been arrested in the killing, but on Sunday, Haitian officials described the doctor, Christian Emmanuel Sanon, 63, as a central figure in the case.

Even as the Haitian authorities offered their most detailed account so far of the plot behind the brazen assassination of the president in the bedroom of his private home last week, there was widespread skepticism among the public of the official version of events.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/07/11 ... ctor-moise
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

U.S. team meets with Haitian officials to assist investigation and push for political accord.

A team of American government officials has traveled to Haiti to assist the investigation into the assassination of the country’s president and to push for a political accord, U.S. officials said.

While the White House and Pentagon are reviewing the Haitian government’s request for troops to help secure the country, there has been little enthusiasm for sending American soldiers or Marines.

But a team of F.B.I. agents and Department of Homeland Security officials have been assisting the investigation into last Wednesday’s killing of President Jovenel Moïse of Haiti. State Department and National Security Council officials were also part of the team.

“The delegation reviewed the security of critical infrastructure with Haitian government officials and met with the Haitian National Police, who are leading the investigation into the assassination,” the National Security Council spokeswoman, Emily Horne, said in a statement on Monday.

“The delegation also met with Acting Prime Minister Claude Joseph and Prime Minister-Designate Ariel Henry in a joint meeting, as well as Senate President Joseph Lambert, to encourage open and constructive dialogue to reach a political accord that can enable the country to hold free and fair elections.”

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/07/11 ... cal-accord
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Haiti Police Hold President’s Palace Security Chief
Dimitri Hérard was placed in police custody as accusations focused on any possible insider connection to President Jovenel Moïse’s assassination.

By Catherine Porter, Eric Schmitt and Megan Specia
July 15, 2021

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — The head of palace security for President Jovenel Moïse, who was assassinated last week at his home, was taken into police custody on Thursday, deepening investigators’ focus into the possibility that Haitian insiders had eased the killers’ path.

The palace security chief, Dimitri Hérard, made several stopovers in the Colombian capital, Bogotá, in the months before the assassination. Haitian officials say a group of former soldiers from Colombia, whom they accuse of acting as mercenaries, played a central role in the killing.

On Thursday, the Pentagon also confirmed that some of those Colombian veterans had received training from the United States military, as part of a cooperation between security forces that has stretched for decades. Family members said that one them was the chief recruiter for the mercenary force, Duberney Capador, 40.

The revelations came as officials in Haiti, Colombia and the United States all raced to determine who was ultimately behind the assassination of Mr. Moïse, and the aims and means of the conspirators.

On Thursday, the Colombian police said the two leaders of the Colombian veterans, Mr. Capador and retired Capt. German Alejandro Rivera, conspired with Haitian suspects as early as May to detain the president.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/15/worl ... stody.html

comment:
missed to post an article that authorities think that the presidents bodyguards were involved as neither of them got hurt in any way.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I guess this is the best place to put this, mods feel free to re-locate if there's a better place

Mass Abduction of U.S. Missionaries Startles Even Kidnap-Weary Haiti
“Where is this country going?” Gang members seized 16 Americans and one Canadian, among them five children, as they visited an orphanage.
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Children on their way to school, street vendors selling their wares, priests mid-sermon — few Haitians, rich or poor, are safe from the gangs of kidnappers that stalk their country with near impunity. But the abduction this weekend of 17 people associated with an American missionary group as they visited an orphanage shocked officials for its brazenness.

On Sunday, the hostages, five of them children, remained in captivity, their whereabouts and identities unknown to the public. Adding to the mystery was a wall of silence from officials in Haiti and the United States about what, if anything, was being done to secure their release.

“We are seeking God’s direction for a resolution, and authorities are seeking ways to help,” the missionary group, Christian Aid Ministries, an Ohio-based group founded by Amish and Mennonites that has a long history of working in the Caribbean, said in a statement.

The authorities identified the gang behind the kidnappings as 400 Mawozo, an outfit infamous for taking abductions to a new level in a country reduced to near lawlessness by natural disaster, corruption and political assassination. Not content to grab individual victims and demand ransom from their family members, the gang has taken to snatching people en masse as they ride buses or walk the streets in groups whose numbers might once have kept them safe.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/17/worl ... idnap.html

Haiti is a heartbreaking place :cry:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Haiti’s Leader Kept a List of Drug Traffickers. His Assassins Came for It.
In the months before his murder, President Jovenel Moïse took a number of steps to fight drug and arms smugglers. Some officials now fear he was killed for it.

By Maria Abi-Habib
Dec. 12, 2021

PORT-AU-PRINCE — President Jovenel Moïse of Haiti was about to name names.

Before being assassinated in July, he had been working on a list of powerful politicians and businesspeople involved in Haiti’s drug trade, with the intention of handing over the dossier to the American government, according to four senior Haitian advisers and officials tasked with drafting the document.

The president had ordered the officials to spare no one, not even the power brokers who had helped propel him into office, they said — one of several moves against suspected drug traffickers that could explain a motive for the assassination.

When gunmen burst into Mr. Moïse’s residence and killed him in his bedroom, his wife, Martine Moïse — who had also been shot and lay bleeding on the floor, pretending to be dead — described how they stayed to search the room, hurriedly digging through his files.

“‘That’s it,’” they finally declared to one another before fleeing, she told The New York Times in her first interview after the assassination, adding that she did not know what the gunmen had taken.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/12/worl ... ckers.html

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”