Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Saudi Arabia

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Saudi Arabia

Post by RTH10260 »

Saudi Operatives Who Killed Khashoggi Received Paramilitary Training in U.S.
The training, approved by the State Department, underscores the perils of military partnerships with repressive governments.

By Mark Mazzetti, Julian E. Barnes and Michael LaForgia
June 22, 2021 Updated 8:52 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — Four Saudis who participated in the 2018 killing of the Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi received paramilitary training in the United States the previous year under a contract approved by the State Department, according to documents and people familiar with the arrangement.

The instruction occurred as the secret unit responsible for Mr. Khashoggi’s killing was beginning an extensive campaign of kidnapping, detention and torture of Saudi citizens ordered by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler, to crush dissent inside the kingdom.

The training was provided by the Arkansas-based security company Tier 1 Group, which is owned by the private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management. The company says the training — including “safe marksmanship” and “countering an attack” — was defensive in nature and devised to better protect Saudi leaders. One person familiar with the training said it also included work in surveillance and close-quarters battle.

There is no evidence that the American officials who approved the training or Tier 1 Group executives knew that the Saudis were involved in the crackdown inside Saudi Arabia. But the fact that the government approved high-level military training for operatives who went on to carry out the grisly killing of a journalist shows how intensely intertwined the United States has become with an autocratic nation even as its agents committed horrific human rights abuses.

It also underscores the perils of military partnerships with repressive governments and demonstrates how little oversight exists for those forces after they return home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/us/p ... ining.html?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Saudi Arabia

Post by raison de arizona »

To borrow a phrase from the Trumpsters, fuck your feelings. I'm sure Khashoggi had some feelings about the issue too.
Jeffrey Goldberg @JeffreyGoldberg wrote: MBS has told people close to him that the murder of Khashoggi was the "worst thing ever to happen to me."
He told @gcaw and me that the murder "hurt me a lot. It hurt me and it hurt Saudi Arabia, from a feelings perspective."

Read @gcaw's story here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ew/622822/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Boo fucking hoo
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Could we stop arming the Saudis? Please?
Bloomberg @business wrote: The US approved the potential sale of additional Patriot missiles and related equipment to Saudi Arabia in a deal valued at as much as $3.05 billion, just weeks after an awkward meeting between Biden and MBS
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Saudi Arabia

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Saudi Arabia

Post by RTH10260 »

Family: Saudis sentence US citizen to 16 years over tweets

AP
Tue, October 18, 2022 at 7:29 PM·

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — An American citizen has been arrested in Saudi Arabia, tortured and sentenced to 16 years in prison over tweets he sent while in the United States, his son said Tuesday.

Saad Ibrahim Almadi, a 72-year-old retired project manager living in Florida, was arrested last November while visiting family in the kingdom and was sentenced earlier this month, his son Ibrahim told The Associated Press, confirming details that were first reported by the Washington Post. Almadi is a citizen of both Saudi Arabia and the U.S.

There was no immediate comment from Saudi officials.

State Department deputy spokesman Vedant Patel, speaking to reporters in Washington, confirmed Almadi's detention Tuesday.

“We have consistently and intensively raised our concerns regarding the case at senior levels of the Saudi government, both through channels in Riyadh and Washington DC as well and we will continue to do so,” he said. “We have raised this with members of the Saudi government as recently as yesterday.”

It appeared to be the latest in a series of recent cases in which Saudis received long jail sentences for social media posts critical of the government.

Saudi authorities have tightened their crackdown on dissent following the rise of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who is seeking to open up and transform the ultraconservative kingdom but has adopted a hard line toward any criticism.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/family-saudi ... 54083.html
RTH10260

Saudi Arabia

Post by RTH10260 »

Saudi ruler Mohammed bin Salman is seeking to humiliate Biden as part of a global power play

Tom Porter
Fri, October 28, 2022 at 1:41 PM·

Relations between the US and Saudi Arabia are worsening.

Saudi ruler Mohammed bin Salman wants to assert himself internationally.

He humiliated the Biden administration by cancelling a secret oil deal.

This week, a diplomat spat between the US and Saudi Arabia degenerated into petty name-calling, a public sign of the dire state of relations between the two countries.

The exchange, fueled by a dispute over oil production, is a further blow to an alliance which for decades has been marked by predictability: The US provides arms and security to the Saudis, and gains a key strategic partner in a volatile region in return.

It is a change driven by the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, who is deliberately snubbing the US in an attempt to chart a more independent path, an expert told Insider.

Giorgio Cafiero, the CEO of Gulf State Analytics, said: "With Mohammed bin Salman at the helm, Saudi Arabia is very determined to assert its autonomy from the US.

"The leadership in Riyadh has been sending many signals to Washington that the Kingdom will pursue its own national interests as perceived by Saudi officials, which includes deepening cooperation with Beijing and Moscow."

Specifically, this has taken the form of Saudi Arabia joining Russia other oil-rich nations to announce a steep cut in production.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/saudi-ruler- ... 05730.html
(original Insider)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Saudi Arabia

Post by AndyinPA »

I guess they can get their arms from Russia or China.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Saudi Arabia

Post by RTH10260 »

China, Russia has a supply chain problem on the roads to the Ukraine.
Volkonski
Verified:

Saudi Arabia

Post by Volkonski »

SABIC, which is 70% owned by Aramco, is a large petrochemical company.

Petrochemicals are counter cyclical with oil. When oil prices are high petrochemical companies earn less because oil and gas are their primary feedstock. When oil prices are low petrochemical companies do well.

SABIC depends to a large degree on western partners for technology. That is why before I retired I made regular trips to KSA to troubleshoot and to teach.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Saudi Arabia

Post by Phoenix520 »

All that time Jared spent with his bestie, the murderer MBS, imagine what they must have been plotting. They considered themselves, both, rightful heirs to whatever.

More danger. I guess it will unfold in the coming months. If what we’ve seen of Jared’s competence is true in all his endeavors , perhaps no worries?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Saudi Arabia

Post by Foggy »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:41 pm ... imagine what they must have been plotting.
Or even doing together, the Jew and the Muslim?

Drugs? Alcohol? Getting wasted and carousing?

No, they're not the type.

Prostitutes (of whatever stripe, I like to be inclusive)?

No again. I mean, like the drugs and liquor, they'd both be so paranoid that the other one might be making videos, they wouldn't dare. I don't know about MBS, but I think Jared lives in fear.

Plotting to make more money? I mean, if you can't spend it on drugs, liquor, and beautiful women, what's the point? Jared already has a sex robot, if it still functions. :mrgreen:

They probably had a prayer meeting with Paula White. Yeah, that's the ticket. :thumbsup:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Saudi Arabia

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I'ma go stand in the corner now for being a sexist pig toward Ivanka.

Satan made me say that.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Saudi Arabia

Post by RTH10260 »

Repent! And if you chose the one and only proper brand of xianity you may repeat tomorrow without sorrow ;)
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Saudi Arabia

Post by Ben-Prime »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:32 pm Repent! And if you chose the one and only proper brand of xianity you may repeat tomorrow without sorrow ;)
Or he could just become Joobish himself. I mean, I was born that way, and I am very bad at it, but I can recommend the basic theology - as I understand the BASIC Rabbinical take on things, sin that does not involve harm to others (such as insulting someone who will never see it) is really just an accumulation of grit on the spiritual, mental, and emotional gears, and that's between you and the Creator. It's the stuff that brings harm to others that is the problem.

Of course, Rabbis live for nuance, so :shrug: ... though my Mom's younger brother went to his grave in 2015 insisting the Rabbinate took a hit when I decided once as a youth and once again in adulthood not to become one.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Saudi Arabia

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

Saudi Arabia

:torches:
U.S. moves to shield Saudi crown prince in killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi
The administration said the prince’s official standing should give him immunity in the lawsuit filed by the fiancée of slain the Washington Post columnist and the rights group he founded.

The Biden administration declared Thursday that the high office held by Saudi Arabia’s crown prince should shield him from lawsuits for his role in the killing of a U.S.-based journalist, a turnaround from Joe Biden’s passionate campaign trail denunciations of Prince Mohammed bin Salman over the brutal slaying.

The administration said the prince’s official standing should give him immunity in the lawsuit filed by the fiancée of slain Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi and by the rights group he founded, Democracy for the Arab World Now.

The request is non-binding and a judge will ultimately decide whether to grant immunity. But it is bound to anger human rights activists and many U.S. lawmakers, coming as Saudi Arabia has stepped up imprisonment and other retaliation against peaceful critics at home and abroad and has cut oil production, a move seen as undercutting efforts by the U.S. and its allies to punish Russia for its war against Ukraine.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/us-m ... -rcna57817
Suranis

Saudi Arabia

Post by Suranis »

What the hell do the Saudis have? In terms of society they make Iran look like a Homosexual Pride march, In terms of
Terrorism they have done SO MUCH that any other country would be Radioactive Glass my now. But they do active stuff against the west and USA in particular, and the USA just comes up wagging its tail and begging for more.

Hell the Saudis financially backed Musk in his takeover of Twitter and are now sitting back looking innocent as the incompetent ass wrecks it. They are NO FANS of "freedom of speech"

What gives?
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Saudi Arabia

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:51 am What the hell do the Saudis have? In terms of society they make Iran look like a Homosexial Pride march, In terms of
Terrorism they have done SO MUCH that any other country would be Radioactive Glass my now. But they do actuve shut against the west and USA in articular and the USA just comes up wagging its tail and beffing for more.

Hell the Saudis financially backed Musk in his takeover of Twitter and are now sitting back looking innocent as the incompetent ass wrecks it. They are NO FANS of "freedom of speech"

What gives?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Saudi Arabia

Post by Ben-Prime »

So you're saying some guy named 'Derrick' is responsible? DON'T BE COY HERE, NEONZX! NAME NAMES!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
noblepa

Saudi Arabia

Post by noblepa »

Saudi Arabia is not our friend.

They want us to believe that they are, but they are anything but.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Saudi Arabia

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Saudi Arabia

Post by neonzx »

The Saudis are our heroin dealers and we are the addicts.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Saudi Arabia

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:25 pm The Saudis are our heroin dealers and we are the addicts.
Oil is America's crack....

Want another hit mutha [expletive deleted]!!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

Saudi Arabia

Post by RTH10260 »

Saudi Arabian academic on death row for using Twitter and WhatsApp
Court documents reveal reasons for Awad Al-Qarni’s arrest – even though rulers are major investors in social media platforms

Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Washington
Sun 15 Jan 2023 05.00 GMT

A prominent pro-reform law professor in Saudi Arabia was sentenced to death for alleged crimes including having a Twitter account and using WhatsApp to share news considered “hostile” to the kingdom, according to court documents seen by the Guardian.

The arrest of Awad Al-Qarni, 65, in September 2017 represented the start of a crackdown against dissent by the then newly named crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman.

Details of the charges brought against Al-Qarni have now been shared with the Guardian by his son Nasser, who last year fled the kingdom and is living in the UK, where he has said he is seeking asylum protection.

Al-Qarni has been portrayed in Saudi-controlled media as a dangerous preacher, but dissidents have said Al-Qarni was an important and well-regarded intellectual with a strong social media following, including 2m Twitter followers.

Human rights advocates and Saudi dissidents living in exile have warned that authorities in the kingdom are engaged in a new and severe crackdown on individuals who are perceived to be critics of the Saudi government. Last year, Salma al-Shehab, a Leeds PhD student and mother of two, received a 34-year sentence for having a Twitter account and for following and retweeting dissidents and activists. Another woman, Noura al-Qahtani, was sentenced to 45 years in prison for using Twitter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... d-whatsapp

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”