Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

UK - England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

UK - England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland

Post by RTH10260 »

Barbarians and Vandals at work

many more cases mentioned after the into paragraphs
Art students seek to take university to court over ‘heartbreaking’ clear-out
Royal College of Art offers compensation for work and materials damaged or lost in studio tidy

Rachel Hall
Thu 20 May 2021 17.14 BST

The conceptual artist Farvash Razavi had planned to use the colour-changing inks she spent two years developing with scientists for an intricate installation at her master’s graduation show. That is, until she found her delicate pieces shattered in a box after her university, the Royal College of Art (RCA), cleared out her studio over the summer.

Razavi’s sculpture, which explored censorship and belonging through the lens of her experience as an Iranian living in Sweden, was just one of many art works irreparably damaged or missing as a result of the RCA’s botched clear-out while the university was closed due to the pandemic. Now, she and other affected students are planning to take the university to court.

“It’s heartbreaking,” she said. “The value of this, the amount of people who’ve been involved, the time I’ve put in, the facilities I’ve been using with labs and printing layers and developing inks, is a minimum £50,000. This is a type of technology that’s still in research, that’s not available. Every piece of it is handmade, there is nothing we can easily remake.”

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -clear-out
In an email to students sent on 19 May, the university said it would offer a “limited compensation process” for students who can produce evidence of missing or damaged personal items, equipment or materials.
Suranis

Re: UK - England, Wales, N.Irland, Scotland

Post by Suranis »

Edwin Poots, head of the DUP, resigns after 21 days on the job
But exactly three weeks after being formally ratified as her successor he was forced to announce that he was standing down.

He had no option after the rebellion against his decision to nominate his friend Paul Givan to be First Minister.

The vast majority of the party's MPs and Assembly members voted against nominating Mr Givan because of deep unease about the British government's promise to introduce Irish language legislation.

Sinn Féin had demanded the move as the price for going back into powersharing with the DUP.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Re: UK - England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland

Post by RTH10260 »

Classified Ministry of Defence documents found at bus stop
By Paul Adams
Published1 day ago

Classified Ministry of Defence documents containing details about HMS Defender and the British military have been found at a bus stop in Kent.

One set of documents discusses the likely Russian reaction to the ship's passage through Ukrainian waters off the Crimea coast on Wednesday.

Another details plans for a possible UK military presence in Afghanistan after the US-led Nato operation there ends.

The government said an investigation had been launched.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said it is investigating "an incident in which sensitive defence papers were recovered by a member of the public". The MoD employee concerned reported the loss at the time, it said.

The documents, almost 50 pages in all, were found in a soggy heap behind a bus stop in Kent early on Tuesday morning.

A member of the public, who wishes to remain anonymous, contacted the BBC when he realised the sensitive nature of the contents.

The BBC believes the documents, which include emails and PowerPoint presentations, originated in the office of a senior official at the MoD.

The documents relating to the Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyer, HMS Defender, show that a mission described by the MoD as an "innocent passage through Ukrainian territorial waters", with guns covered and the ship's helicopter stowed in its hangar, was conducted in the expectation that Russia might respond aggressively.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57624942
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Test And Trace Has Lost Track Of Nearly 600 Million Covid Tests
Beleaguered service sent out mass tests but just 14% have been registered as used.

Paul Waugh
25/06/2021 12:01am BST | Updated June 25, 2021

Test and Trace, which was run by Tory peer Dido Harding, has already come under fire for its use of private firms.

Boris Johnson’s £37bn Test and Trace service is facing fresh criticism after a damning new report found that it had lost track of nearly 600 million Covid tests.

The National Audit Office spending watchdog concluded that the system was still failing to “deliver value for taxpayers”, with a lack of any targets for self-isolation by the public and a continued reliance on private consultants.

Test and Trace, which was run by Tory peer Dido Harding, has already come under fire for its use of private firms Serco and Deloitte and its repeated failures in 2020 to track down contacts of people who had Covid.

The latest report sets out a raft of problems, including paying for tracing staff it does not use, the use of emergency procurement powers that dole out contracts without competition and a lack of data sharing with local public health chiefs that hinders efforts to tackle outbreaks.

In the six months from November last year to April this year, it failed to reach nearly 100,000 people who had tested positive for Covid and as result failed to identify their contacts who could potentially infect others.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entr ... 1fc857eeb/
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Twitter 'troll' to pay Stephen Nolan six-figure sum in damages”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57684497
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Millions in UK face disenfranchisement under voter ID plans
Labour says bill to be published on Monday is tantamount to US Republican-style ‘voter suppression’

Aubrey Allegretti
Sun 4 Jul 2021 22.30 BST

Millions of voters could be disenfranchised under “discriminatory” plans due to be unveiled on Monday that will force people to carry identification to cast a ballot, Labour has warned.

Ahead of the introduction of the elections bill to parliament, the shadow democracy minister, Cat Smith, said the sweeping changes were tantamount to US Republican-style “voter suppression”.

The government made the policy one of its flagship announcements in this year’s Queen’s speech, and claimed the overhaul would make elections more secure by cracking down on in-person voter fraud. It also wants to limit the number of postal votes that a person can hand in on behalf of others.

Various pilots of voter ID, ranging from people simply having to present polling cards to mandatory photo documents such as passports or driving licences, took place in a series of English council districts at local elections in 2018 and 2019, with 1,159 voters turned away at the polling station.

Critics say a national requirement for all voters to carry identification will cost the taxpayer about £40m over the next decade, and pointed to a Cabinet Office-commissioned study released in May that found more than 2 million voters could lack the necessary ID to take part in future elections.

The prevalence of voter fraud has also been downplayed by the Electoral Commission, which said the UK had “low levels of proven electoral fraud”. In 2019, there was just one conviction and one police caution for impersonating another voter.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... r-id-plans
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ahead of the introduction of the elections bill to parliament, the shadow democracy minister, Cat Smith, said the sweeping changes were tantamount to US Republican-style “voter suppression”.
:oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy:

But this will make your day.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/18 ... jBAcfoHXEk

A corresponding meme
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (114.4 KiB) Viewed 12626 times
The boy was found a match at a later, smaller event but this one was able to match six other cancer patients with donors.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

I didn't know that I needed to read that. But I did. Thanks.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Eaststander

Post by Eaststander »

Any chance you could change the spelling of the subject title to ‘Ireland’? I’m not Irish, but if I were, I would be a bit cross. Maybe it’s just me.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Eaststander wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:32 am Any chance you could change the spelling of the subject title to ‘Ireland’? I’m not Irish, but if I were, I would be a bit cross. Maybe it’s just me.
Can't risk the ire of the members here ;)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Honestly I didn't even notice. :lol: :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Priti Patel to reveal proposals for offshore centres for asylum seekers
Borders bill will allow for charges against migrants ‘knowingly’ arriving in UK without permission

Lisa O'Carroll
Mon 5 Jul 2021 22.30 BST

Ministers are to reveal proposals for a suite of new laws paving the way for offshore centres for asylum seekers and criminal charges for migrants “knowingly” arriving in the UK without permission.

The nationality and borders bill, formerly known as the sovereign borders bill, has been described by the Home Office as containing “the most radical changes to the broken asylum system in decades” making it harder for those who enter illegally to stay in the UK.

But campaigners say the new laws could see thousands of refugees turned away and vulnerable migrants criminalised for seeking a better life.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, said it was part of her mission to crack down on “vile criminals” who run a flourishing smuggling operation across the channel. If the laws are passed, people-smuggling will attract tougher sentencing, up to life imprisonment.

Patel said she is also going to make it easier to remove migrants who have arrived in the country unlawfully and to punish countries that refuse to take back their own citizens with a new “power to control visa availability” for legal entrants to the UK.

The plans will also provide for the removal of asylum seekers to offshore centres where they can be housed while their claims, or appeals, are being processed.

Ascension Island, disused ferries and abandoned oil rigs have all been mooted in leaked reports as potential destinations considered in Whitehall for people seeking asylum in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... um-seekers

comment: the lady has a huge disregard for the European Human Rights Convention :brickwallsmall:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Boris Johnson ends Covid as a ‘me problem’ and makes it a ‘you problem’
Zoe Williams
Mon 5 Jul 2021 19.05 BST

With so much leaking and briefing, there’s very little suspense left in a Downing Street announcement, save whether or not their lecterns are still standing. I suppose there’s always a chance somebody will get divorced live on air.

So, we already knew what so-called “Freedom Day” would entail, and we already knew that, if it came, it would be 19 July, unless it was postponed to some other day. Johnson promised the removal of all legal limits: on the numbers of people at sporting events and theatres, at gatherings, and on which businesses would be allowed to open. No face masks, no social distancing, no Covid certificates, no more instructing people to work from home. How well it’s going to play instructing them to come back to the office is another matter, but the beauty of that is that it’s not his problem.

The prime minister’s overriding imperative – you could tell by the very many times he said it – is to “move from universal government diktat to relying on people’s personal responsibility”. He’s basically had enough of making all the decisions, and wants someone else to have a go. Absent an obvious single candidate, he’s throwing it on to all of us.

In one way, it’s a relief, since his diktats were always so hit and miss; and yet it was a little unsettling to hear his rationale. “We must be honest: if we can’t reopen society in the next few weeks, we must ask ourselves, when will we be able to return to normal?” At least technically, it’s the middle of summer. We’re outdoors, schools will have their holiday “firebreak”, winter is when the virus is at its most powerful, so if not now, when? He sounds much more like a guy in B&Q, who’s just lost patience with looking for the right shade of white – what do you want him to do, go to Homebase? – than he does like a man carefully weighing up the intricate and often incomparable risks and benefits as have been produced for him by the nation’s finest minds. Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance, two of those very minds, flanked him with almost palpable reluctance.

More of us will unfortunately die: if Johnson takes any pleasure from these briefings at all (such a shame to see the love affair between him and limelight reduced to this shadow), it’s in delivering the news of our own mortality, more or less his constant message since the crisis began. It must be a boarding school thing. Whoever finishes their gruel fastest gets to be memento mori for the day.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ou-problem
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I feel like a future biographer is going to have a field day with the cautionary tale angle of Boris Johnson's life. He's the dog that caught the bus. All his life, he's made no secret of wanting - desperately - to be prime minister. But what has he wanted the job for? What did he want to do once he became prime minister? I suspect he hardly gave those questions a second thought on his way up. He was only interested in the power and the trappings of the office to satiate his oversized ego. Then he finally gets what he wants and is confronted with the reality that being PM means taking responsibility for a whole lot of deadly serious issues. And this for a man who has pathologically avoided taking responsibility for anything in his personal or political life since he got started.

"Here's the power you've always wanted. Also here's an political and economic train wreck in Brexit and also a global public health disaster. Have fun." No wonder he seems rather glum lately.

(All of this applies rather broadly to Donald Trump as well. The guy loved the red-carpet stuff, but had absolutely no clue what to do in the Situation Room except shout at people and order them to do things that the law said they couldn't do. Perhaps we need an island for coddled wealthy egomaniacs where they can live out their fantasies of being saluted and treated like royalty without doing manifest harm to the rest of us.)
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:43 am I feel like a future biographer is going to have a field day with the cautionary tale angle of Boris Johnson's life. He's the dog that caught the bus. All his life, he's made no secret of wanting - desperately - to be prime minister. But what has he wanted the job for? What did he want to do once he became prime minister? I suspect he hardly gave those questions a second thought on his way up. He was only interested in the power and the trappings of the office to satiate his oversized ego. Then he finally gets what he wants and is confronted with the reality that being PM means taking responsibility for a whole lot of deadly serious issues. And this for a man who has pathologically avoided taking responsibility for anything in his personal or political life since he got started.

"Here's the power you've always wanted. Also here's an political and economic train wreck in Brexit and also a global public health disaster. Have fun." No wonder he seems rather glum lately.

(All of this applies rather broadly to Donald Trump as well. The guy loved the red-carpet stuff, but had absolutely no clue what to do in the Situation Room except shout at people and order them to do things that the law said they couldn't do. Perhaps we need an island for coddled wealthy egomaniacs where they can live out their fantasies of being saluted and treated like royalty without doing manifest harm to the rest of us.)
Reminds me of an interview by now former impotus during the 2016 election run: "I will be president and Mike Pence will be governing"
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Data predicts 2m UK summer Covid cases with 10m isolating
Guardian analysis prompts health warnings as Javid says England entering ‘uncharted territory’

Peter Walker and Heather Stewart
Tue 6 Jul 2021 20.20 BST

Two million people could contract Covid this summer, potentially meaning up to 10 million must isolate in just six weeks, Guardian analysis shows, prompting warnings over risks to health and disruption to the economy.

The figures come as Sajid Javid, the health secretary, said England was entering “uncharted territory” in its wholesale scrapping of lockdown rules from 19 July. New infections could easily rise above 100,000 a day over the summer, he said, more than at any point in the pandemic.

Javid announced that anyone who has been double-vaccinated will not have to isolate after coming into contact with a confirmed Covid case from 16 August, with under-18s also exempt. The rule for adults applies at least 10 days after their second dose. Anyone who has caught Covid must still isolate by law.

The Guardian understands ministers were warned that waiving the requirement for contacts to isolate immediately on 19 July would result in cases being up to 25% higher than if waiting another four weeks to do so.

But the decision to wait before dropping the self-isolation rule, combined with soaring cases amid further unlocking, has triggered growing concerns over the toll of long Covid and potential chaos for businesses forced to close because of staff absences.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... alth-fears
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

UK - their an island :blackeye:
UK to block visas for countries refusing to take back asylum seekers
Bill would give home secretary power to take action against citizens of countries deemed not to be cooperating

Jamie Grierson Home affairs correspondent
Tue 6 Jul 2021 15.19 BST

The UK will block visas for visitors from countries the home secretary believes are refusing to cooperate in taking back rejected asylum seekers or offenders.

In proposed legislation published on Tuesday, Priti Patel and future home secretaries would have the power to suspend or delay the processing of applications from countries that do no “cooperate with the UK government in relation to the removal from the United Kingdom of nationals of that country who require leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom but do not have it”.

The clause in the nationality and borders bill also allows for the home secretary to impose additional financial requirements for visa applications – that is, an increase in fees – if countries do not cooperate.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... d-migrants
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall:
Elephants might not fly: confusion over Carrie Johnson charity’s rewilding plan
Kenyan ministry of tourism and wildlife expresses concern about reports of scheme to transport herd from Kent
The Aspinall Foundation had announced plans to transport 13 savannah elephants from Howletts Wild Animal Park to Kenya.

Patrick Greenfield
Wed 7 Jul 2021 17.57 BST

Confusion has erupted over plans to fly a herd of elephants from Kent to Kenya, after the Kenyan wildlife service said it had not been contacted or consulted about the operation.

On Monday, the Aspinall Foundation announced ambitious plans to transport 13 savanna elephants, born and bred in captivity, almost 4,500 miles from their home at Howletts Wild Animal Park to a site in the east African country, in partnership with the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS). The wildlife charity, where the prime minister’s wife, Carrie Johnson, has a top corporate role in communications, said it would be a world-first operation to “rewild” the mammals.

But on Wednesday, Kenya’s ministry of tourism and wildlife tweeted its concern about newspaper reports of the plan and said it had not been contacted.

In a statement, the ministry said it had “noted with concern an article published in the Daily Mail, UK, stating that a herd of 13 elephants will be relocated from Kent Wildlife Park in the UK to Kenya in what is referred to as a ‘world first rewilding project’ by the publication”.

“The ministry wants to state that neither them nor the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) have been contacted or consulted on this matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... t-by-kenya
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

and then the Brits wonder why they cannot export their shellfish to the EU
Southern Water fined record £90m for deliberately pouring sewage into sea
Privatised firm dumped billions of litres of raw sewage off north Kent and Hampshire coasts to avoid costs and penalties

Sandra Laville
Fri 9 Jul 2021 15.06 BST

Southern Water has been fined a record £90m for deliberately dumping billions of litres of raw sewage into protected seas over several years for its own financial gain.

Mr Justice Jeremy Johnson, sentencing the privatised water company, said it had discharged between 16bn and 21bn litres of raw sewage into some of the most precious, delicate environments in the country.

“These offences show a shocking and wholesale disregard for the environment, for precious and delicate ecosystems and coastlines, for human health, and for fisheries and other legitimate businesses that operate in the coastal waters,” said the judge.

He said the company had a history of criminal activity for its “previous and persistent pollution of the environment”. It had 168 previous offences and cautions but had ignored these and not altered its behaviour. “There is no evidence the company took any notice of the penalties imposed or the remarks of the courts. Its offending simply continued,” he said.

The judge said the fine he imposed should be a deterrent to other companies and hoped it might act to prompt shareholders to ensure that the utility improved its regulatory compliance.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-into-sea
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:doh: :brickwallsmall:
NHS staff abused by people seeking second Covid jab early for holiday
Doctors say some vaccination centres have had to call police or hire security guards over safety fears

Denis Campbell
Sat 10 Jul 2021 07.00 BST

Covid vaccinators are facing abuse, threats and aggression from people demanding their second jab early so they can go on holiday this summer, doctors have said.

In one incident, vaccination site staff were so concerned for their safety that they called the police, while some GP-led vaccination centres have had to hire security guards to protect them, the Guardian has learned.

Those involved appear to be “angry and frustrated” people who want to have their second Covid jab sooner than eight weeks after the first one – the official minimum gap – so they can go abroad.

One vaccination lead in the south-east of England said: “We’ve had a number of violent and aggressive incidents at sites, and even had to call the police, with people demanding their vaccine earlier than eight weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... or-holiday
Lani

Post by Lani »

Strange juxtaposition. In the US, healthcare workers who provide vaccinations are threatened.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Home Office ‘acting unlawfully’ in rush to deport asylum seekers

Mark Townsend
Sun 11 Jul 2021 07.12 BST

Hundreds of people arriving in England in small boats are being immediately detained in immigration removal centres, raising fears of a new, secret Home Office policy to deport them without their asylum claims being properly considered.

Among the detainees are apparent trafficking and torture victims from countries including Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, who would normally be allowed asylum accommodation in the community while their claims are processed but instead are effectively imprisoned.

Children are also among those who have crossed the Channel and have been sent directly to immigration removal centres, with solicitors claiming the Home Office has classed minors as adults despite not age-assessing them in person.

Some small-boat asylum seekers have been denied access to a lawyer since early May after landing and being immediately detained in a removal centre.

Campaigners said the development was “not the act of a civilised and compassionate nation”.

The outcry follows the publication of home secretary Priti Patel’s nationality and borders bill on Tuesday. It claims to reform the asylum system but has been described by the UN as having an “almost neocolonial approach” in allowing the UK to shirk its international responsibilities to refugees.

Immigration lawyers say the apparent undisclosed policy change, which appears to have been introduced over the past two months, is unlawful and they are preparing to challenge it.

Toufique Hossain, director of public law and immigration at Duncan Lewis, described it as a potentially “grave abuse of power”.

Hossain added: “They have effectively started bypassing the asylum system and saying to individuals with strong claims that their claim is weak, that they may not get an appeal and that they intend to remove them quickly.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... um-seekers
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The UK run by technological inept people
Pin resets wipe all data from over 100 Treasury mobile phones
Permanent secretary Tom Scholar among those affected after entering incorrect passwords repeatedly

Mon 12 Jul 2021 00.01 BST

The Treasury wiped all data from more than 100 government-issued mobile phones last year because their users, including the department’s boss, entered the wrong pin.

In response to a freedom of information (FOI) request from the PA Media news agency, the Treasury said its IT desk had reset 117 of its 2,100 mobile phones in 2020.

With each reset, texts sent from those phones are likely to have been lost. This includes messages sent by Tom Scholar, the department’s permanent secretary, which MPs have said should be released. Scholar was asked earlier this year to disclose the communications he had with the former prime minister and lobbyist David Cameron.

:snippity:

“Under government security as applies to mobile phones, if the password is incorrectly entered more than a few times, the phone is locked, and the only way to unlock it is to reset it,” he said.

“Resetting it means that the data on it is lost. I knew that when it happened last June, and I am certainly not the only person to whom that has happened.”

Users of government phones are required to change their pins and passwords frequently. The Treasury refused to say how often such changes are required, citing security concerns.

During a hearing of the Treasury select committee, one MP said there was a “public interest” in publishing Scholar’s text messages. Under FOI laws, the Treasury and other departments can be required to publish texts concerning government business.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ile-phones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

after the hooligans had their minutes of fame with the EURO2020 football (soccer for the Americansm) finals

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”