Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Notre Dame de Paris

AndyinPA
Verified:

Notre Dame de Paris

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/paris-emmanu ... 6446821912
PARIS (AP) — The rector of Notre Dame said Friday that the burned-out Paris cathedral and its esplanade could remain a building site for another “15 or 20 years.”

Rector Patrick Chauvet spoke to The Associated Press following Good Friday ceremonies, including venerating the “Crown of Thorns” at Notre Dame’s temporary liturgical base, the nearby church of Saint-Germain l’Auxerrois.

He added that: “I can guarantee that there’s work to do!”

In the days following the April 15, 2019, blaze that engulfed Paris’ Gothic gem, French President Emmanuel Macron set a five-year restoration deadline for 2024, when Paris is to host the Summer Olympics. But French officials quickly backpedaled Macron’s statement, conceding that it was unrealistic to complete the enormous project by that time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Notre Dame de Paris

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Good to hear this. Normal news. Life going on quietly, with due respect to the importance of history. I need this.
MisterC

Post by MisterC »

Glad to hear they can soon commence reconstruction work, now about all those funds that were promised... :batting:

The tragedy of the fire at Notre Dame hit fairly close to home, as my home town cathedral suffered a near identical fire in the summer of 1968. Shoddy workmen ignored a total ban on any open flames (they were working on copper roofing, which is infinitely easier to do with a blowtorch) and tragedy struck, resulting in a spire that was completely ablaze in a matter of moments.
The cathedral is a World Heritage site, as it is the burial site of 21 Danish kings and 19 Queens, and it would have been a national tragedy had the spire collapsed into the transept and choir underneath.

To cap it off, then when it was rebuilt, they chose to utilise all sorts of preservatives and fireproofing chemicals (it was the 1960's after all), resulting in a corrosive coctail that meant the whole thing had to be replaced again in the 2000's.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

That's Roskilde, isn't it?

I have visited the museum of Viking ships there, the hulks that were sunk in the harbor as a barricade and then recovered by archeologists. Fascinating. But I didn't have time for the cathedral, which is a shame. I'll put it on the list for a future trip to Copenhagen.

It's interesting to see and compare both the unrestored hulls in Roskilde, most missing the sides and upper parts which (iirc) are now outlined in metal framework, and the three fully restored boats in Oslo, at the Viking Ship Museum on Bygdøy. The Bygdøy boats are so elegant with their sleek lines, which is hinted at in Roskilde but requires one to imagine the missing parts.
MisterC

Post by MisterC »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:06 am That's Roskilde, isn't it?

I have visited the museum of Viking ships there, the hulks that were sunk in the harbor as a barricade and then recovered by archeologists. Fascinating. But I didn't have time for the cathedral, which is a shame. I'll put it on the list for a future trip to Copenhagen.

It's interesting to see and compare both the unrestored hulls in Roskilde, most missing the sides and upper parts which (iirc) are now outlined in metal framework, and the three fully restored boats in Oslo, at the Viking Ship Museum on Bygdøy. The Bygdøy boats are so elegant with their sleek lines, which is hinted at in Roskilde but requires one to imagine the missing parts.
It is. It's been far too long since I visited the viking museum itself, but I've walked past their outdoor workshops numerous times. It's where they build replica ships and experiment with techniques, which I always found to be much more interesting.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Modernization of Notre-Dame Interior Gets Green Light
A commission of heritage experts approved proposals to bring in contemporary art and move some furniture to make more space for visitors. Critics say it will debase the centuries-old church.

By Constant Méheut
Dec. 10, 2021

PARIS — The latest in a series of controversies that have surrounded the renovation of Notre-Dame unfolded on Thursday, when a commission of heritage experts gave the green light to a revamp of the interior of the fire-stricken cathedral.

France’s National Heritage and Architecture Commission approved proposals by the diocese of Paris to bring a more modern look to Notre-Dame before its planned reopening in 2024, including the installation of contemporary artworks and new lighting effects. Opponents say the changes will debase the 850-year-old cathedral and disturb the harmony of its Gothic design.

The heritage commission also authorized cathedral administrators to rearrange the tabernacle and other items to create more room for visitors. Msgr. Patrick Chauvet, Notre-Dame’s rector, said the proposals would allow for an easier and more pleasant visit to the religious monument and create “a dialogue” between Notre-Dame’s medieval architecture and new, more modern features.

Artworks from the 20th and 21st centuries could be placed next to old master paintings from the cathedral’s collection, such as Mathieu Le Nain’s “Nativity of the Virgin Mary,” Chauvet said.

He added that the diocese was also considering light projections on the walls of some chapels that would display short text excerpts from the Bible.

Most of the confessionals would be moved to the first floor in the rearrangement of the cathedral’s 2,000 or so furniture items, Chauvet said, and Notre-Dame’s more than 12 million annual visitors would now enter through the central portal instead of via a side door.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/10/arts ... y-art.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. The Cathedral of Montreal has inside lighting effects, and it made it a very memorable cathedral for me.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

How dare you replace that burnout light bulb. My family gave the bulb to the church 40 years ago. You are destroying our history by replacing the light bulb.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:29 pm How dare you replace that burnout light bulb. My family gave the bulb to the church 40 years ago. You are destroying our history by replacing the light bulb.
I suspect indoor plumbing with running water was added at some point.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

northland10 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:29 pm How dare you replace that burnout light bulb. My family gave the bulb to the church 40 years ago. You are destroying our history by replacing the light bulb.
:crying: the centuries of history lost when they replaced the smoking torches by electricity :cantlook:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The National Cathedral in DC employed stonemasons from the original Italian families who built the Cathedral every time they undertook significant repairs. Are they doing similar with Notre Dame?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm The National Cathedral in DC employed stonemasons from the original Italian families who built the Cathedral every time they undertook significant repairs. Are they doing similar with Notre Dame?
My understanding is that they are.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm The National Cathedral in DC employed stonemasons from the original Italian families who built the Cathedral every time they undertook significant repairs. Are they doing similar with Notre Dame?
Notre Dame de Paris was largely completed in the 13th Century. If current repairs were being performed by the descendants of the original builders, that would be quite the family tradition.

The National Cathedral in DC was only completed in the latter part of the 20th Century. (I suspect some of the skilled Italian stone masons who worked on it moved up to NYC to work on the St. John the Divine Cathedral in Morningside Heights, which is still unfinished as far as I know.)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

ABC13 Houston
@abc13houston
·
41m
Nearly 3 years after the Notre Dame fire, restoration has finally begun.
@NatGeo
received unprecedented access to #NotreDame and published stunning images that capture the seismic effort of rebuilding a masterpiece. Find out more at http://NatGeo.com.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... notre-dame
Several tombs and a leaden sarcophagus likely dating from the 14th century have been uncovered by archaeologists at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris as work continues on the building’s reconstruction after its devastating 2019 fire.

The burial sites “of remarkable scientific quality” were unearthed during preparatory work for rebuilding the ancient church’s spire at the central spot where the transept crosses the nave, France’s culture ministry announced late Monday.

Among the tombs was a “completely preserved, human-shaped sarcophagus made of lead”.

It is thought the coffin was made for a senior dignitary in the 1300s – the century after the cathedral’s construction.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

RTH10260

Notre Dame de Paris

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Notre Dame de Paris

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks.
Volkonski
Verified:

Notre Dame de Paris

Post by Volkonski »

Notre Dame cathedral's spire revealed in Paris as reconstruction continues after fire
Scaffolding that shrouded the top of Notre Dame cathedral following a devastating fire in April 2019 is being removed, marking a milestone in its reconstruction

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... -107195050
As the shell at the summit has been taken down in recent days, it has revealed the cathedral’s new spire for the first time, adorned with a golden rooster and cross, offering a glimpse of the building's expected appearance upon completion.

A resident near the cathedral, Frederico Benani, who witnessed the 2019 blaze, felt emotional Tuesday at seeing the spire once more.

“I can open the window in the morning. I see Notre Dame. I see the spire — it’s for me, beautiful and it’s much better (than) before," Benani said. "It gives us hope."

There has been anticipation among Paris residents as Notre Dame is on track to reopen Dec. 8. The cathedral will not be open to the public during the Paris Olympics in July and August, when the city will host millions for the Summer Games.

Much of the cathedral remains surrounded by scaffolding, which could take weeks if not months to remove. The spire alone, cathedral officials said, was protected by some 70,000 pieces of scaffolding, totaling a dizzying 600 tons.

In a symbol of resilience and renewal, a new golden rooster, reimagined as a phoenix with flaming feathers, was installed atop the spire in December, marking the cathedral’s rise from the ashes.

Other restoration efforts include the implementation of an anti-fire misting system beneath the cathedral’s roof and the recreation of the original cross.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Notre Dame de Paris

Post by AndyinPA »

Appropriate.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”