The royal nonsense.

suszq

Re: The royal nonsense.

Post by suszq »

That’s an unfair comment about PG, Bill. She hasn’t lashed out, she restrained herself, IMO. And I totally agree with her comments.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

suszq wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:05 pm That’s an unfair comment about PG, Bill. She hasn’t lashed out, she restrained herself, IMO. And I totally agree with her comments.
Really? Who knew so many people followed the royals. The thread is aptly named.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Well, if it fits. Vile is what I consider some of the comments dismissing the core issue of racism by commenting that she wears expensive clothes and she should have known, as opposed to recognizing that racism itself exist there in the Royal Family and in the media and in the country. yes, I think it is vile to blame her for the racism she has obviously experienced and which has not been acknowledged by the Royal Family. if you think an opinion is lashing out, you might have chosen my Neanderthal comment.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Sunrise wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:06 am I’m surprised no one’s commented on the absurdity of Meghan wearing a $4,700.00 Armani dress while Harry wore a scruffy suit, socks that were waaay too short so his bare lower legs were showing (Ugh! Such an ugly look.), and scuffed up shoes. If nothing else, I’d think Meghan would want her husband to be as fashionable as she strives to be, since it cheapens her appearance when he looks like a shlub. :nope:

Pgirl, since I apparently started the ‘expensive clothes’ aspect that you so strongly object to, please allow me to assure you that my only point was that Meghan and Harry wore outfits that presented diametrically opposite views of themselves. If anything, I was startled by the fact that while Meghan looked elegant, Harry looked, as I wrote, like a shlub.

I was glad to read Mr. Brolin’s comments and I completely agree with him. Meghan distanced herself from her entire family except for her mother, and she has distanced Harry in the same way. Like many people, I was surprised to see only her mother at the wedding, and the ‘friends’ she invited consisted of mainly celebrities who she had never met (including Oprah, who sat in the front row in a place of honor). It’s almost as though she had a plan to be interviewed by Oprah at some point.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:07 pm
suszq wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:05 pm That’s an unfair comment about PG, Bill. She hasn’t lashed out, she restrained herself, IMO. And I totally agree with her comments.
Really? Who knew so many people followed the royals. The thread is aptly named.
I dont follow the Royals. I follow issues of racism. And yet, here you are.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The biggest problem with a lot of places is to take any criticism of someone, load on all the victimization categories on the person you can, and them charge fourth with fury on some crusade of riotousness.

saying you don't like Markle just means you don't like her as a person especially when you look at her objectively, without all the list of 3 million years of oppression for this or that, and see her having a ruinous affect on her partner's life.

And I don't think the comment on her dress was on the fact she was wearing it because who cares, it was the contrast of her immaculately done up to the gills with perfect hair etc and her partner looking shabby and decrepit beside her. Its just another thing that raises your eyebrow and suggests something wrong here.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Also, apparently the accusation of Racism comes from one incident of someone having a screaming row with her and saying something stupid like "will you r baby be black." Reading between the lines it probably was Kate Middleton who never got on with her at all, and again its her side of the story. But the Royal Family splashed out on a 20 million wedding for her, which is a funny thing to so when they are all discriminating against her because of Racism.

Again, there is too much here that is just wrong. and dismissing it to have a crusade on racism risks clouding your view of a possible abuse situation.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I think there is some high-horseism going on here too.

Meghan married into a well known, entrenched family, and she is not navigating it well. Best of luck to her. May she find happiness someday.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Suranis wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:13 pm Also, apparently the accusation of Racism comes from one incident of someone having a screaming row with her and saying something stupid like "will you r baby be black." Reading between the lines it probably was Kate Middleton who never got on with her at all, and again its her side of the story. But the Royal Family splashed out on a 20 million wedding for her, which is a funny thing to so when they are all discriminating against her because of Racism.

Again, there is too much here that is just wrong. and dismissing it to have a crusade on racism risks clouding your view of a possible abuse situation.
I disagree, Sur. it was not one incident. It has been an ongoing rash of negative press as to Markle, in direct comparison to her sister-in-law. It isnt subtle at all. The Royal Family splashed out 20 Mil for Harrys wedding too, and he is pushing back as well. Hmmmm.

I think it tells a stark story that Markle was lambasted in the press for touching her baby bump as a "show", while her SIL was viewed as a loving mother anticipating her baby. SIL was applauded for eating avocados for morning sickness yet now Markle was lambasted for loving avocado toast because the avocado industry is exploitive! The list of side-by-side articles is exhausting. And so, I ask why is that? Maybe the failure to defend Markle goes back to Phillip referring to spear chuckers? Maybe the Royals feel that Markle brought this on herself because she did not have the stamina to ignore it? Silence speaks volumes. And silence is complicity.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:26 pm I think there is some high-horseism going on here too.

Meghan married into a well known, entrenched family, and she is not navigating it well. Best of luck to her. May she find happiness someday.
Yes.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I don't have much to say on this, except...

Harry has always seemed a decent man, even in his late-teen/young adult rebel phase (sure, was wild at times but nothing bad-bad). Now, as a fully mature grown-up adult with child, you can hear his intellect in interviews.

He walks to his own drum. He's like his mum.

I wish them the best.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

I agree with Patagonia girl. And let me also observe that I wish I looked as good when dressed to the nines as Harry looks as a shlub.

(I can speak with some authority, having been married to both the Princes' mother as well as Kate Middleton's mother. On TV at least.)
Neither disbarred nor disciplined while representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

For what it’s worth I don’t think the initial reason for the current kerfuffle is racist, or a deserved or otherwise dislike of Meghan Markle. The “palace” (or “firm”) is as one would expect a quite unique clique where I suspect many of the “functionaries” behave more royally than the royals. My opinion is that Harry was seen as upstaging the heir-apparent and his future queen which is a definite no no, and this was the cause of the initial conflicts.

I have no idea if marriage to Meghan Markle was or was not well received within the “palace” but it definitely garnered further media coverage. From what I have seen the “dislike” of Markle has been driven by the media not an independent response from the public at large.

Watching the various “royal correspondents”, commentators, and hangers-on reciting the same hackneyed tripe provides a cheap laugh. Generally speaking the media promotes the image of our wonderful royal family and any controversy will not be met with measured reporting.

N.B. If you hadn’t guessed, I’m a republican.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Uninformed wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:09 pm N.B. If you hadn’t guessed, I’m a republican.
I guess that would be in the Oliver Cromwell sense of "republican," not the Goldwater->Reagan->Trump sense? :wink:
slq

Post by slq »

Suranis wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:07 pm The biggest problem with a lot of places is to take any criticism of someone, load on all the victimization categories on the person you can, and them charge fourth with fury on some crusade of riotousness.

saying you don't like Markle just means you don't like her as a person especially when you look at her objectively, without all the list of 3 million years of oppression for this or that, and see her having a ruinous affect on her partner's life.

And I don't think the comment on her dress was on the fact she was wearing it because who cares, it was the contrast of her immaculately done up to the gills with perfect hair etc and her partner looking shabby and decrepit beside her. Its just another thing that raises your eyebrow and suggests something wrong here.
I find the comments that Meghan was responsible for Harry's clothes puzzling. As if he isn't responsible for his own clothing, or the production manager, etc. There is no indication he dresses at her behest and any such suggestion minimizes his own strength, and that he was a lifelong member of a royal family. Also, I didn't find anything wrong with his appearance, except that his jacket appeared to be too narrow in the shoulders and kept rising up. But that's what happens when you try something on standing up then do an interview sitting down.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
slq

Post by slq »

Suranis wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:13 pm Also, apparently the accusation of Racism comes from one incident of someone having a screaming row with her and saying something stupid like "will you r baby be black." Reading between the lines it probably was Kate Middleton who never got on with her at all, and again its her side of the story. But the Royal Family splashed out on a 20 million wedding for her, which is a funny thing to so when they are all discriminating against her because of Racism.

Actually, per Meghan's and Harry's comments in the interview, someone made the "how dark will your baby's skin be" comment to Harry, not Meghan. And he was horrified.
--Yoda
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

chancery wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:20 pm
Uninformed wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:09 pm N.B. If you hadn’t guessed, I’m a republican.
I guess that would be in the Oliver Cromwell sense of "republican," not the Goldwater->Reagan->Trump sense? :wink:
That is the Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell to you!
(and me ;) )

Not well regarded in Ireland...
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:29 pm Not well regarded in Ireland...
Oops, forgot about that, sorry.
slq

Post by slq »

Here's a Harper's Bazaar article about Harry's J Crew suit, which is reportedly a favorite of his and which he has worn on multiple occasions, including Archie's christening: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity ... interview/

Edit: I suspect Harry has found some extra COVID weight, which is why his favorite suit seems a bit ill-fitting.
--Yoda
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

chancery wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:30 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:29 pm Not well regarded in Ireland...
Oops, forgot about that, sorry.
No worries!

Talking about nonsense...
My mother’s side comes from Ireland...
One half of the family knows who killed an ancestor who let the English soldiers sleep in his barn (as if he had a choose) and the other half don’t know who murdered that ancestor.

Spoiler
It was his brother who drew the short straw
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

My understanding was that Harry was looking to get out long before he met Meghan.

So blaming her for his exit seems pointless.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

One thing you can say about Cromwell is that he was a man of principle. Of course, one of those principles was killing Catholics by the dozen squared, to the point even people at the time were calling it brutal.

I grew up next to a castle that Cromwell dynamited after blowing it to bits with massed cannon fire, then hung the leader of what remained of the Catholic resistance from what remained of the Keep. These things left a mark. I showed Ms Daisy around when she was in Ireland. That round hole near the top is from one of the Cannon balls by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askeaton
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Chilidog wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:44 pm My understanding was that Harry was looking to get out long before he met Meghan.

So blaming her for his exit seems pointless.
Yes, he did. He pushed against the "acceptable norms" of the royals since he was young. Like his mum did.

Meghan loves Harry and Harry loves Meghan, and they have a child. They want a life, but not in that bubble of BS "tradition".
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Suranis wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:49 pm One thing you can say about Cromwell is that he was a man of principle. Of course, one of those principles was killing Catholics by the dozen squared, to the point even people at the time were calling it brutal.

I grew up next to a castle that Cromwell dynamited after blowing it to bits with massed cannon fire, then hung the leader of what remained of the Catholic resistance from what remained of the Keep. These things left a mark. I showed Ms Daisy around when she was in Ireland. That round hole near the top is from one of the Cannon balls by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askeaton
:fingerwag:

Nope.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Actually based on the the appearances of the time Harry was NOT looking to "escape" his lot pre Meghan

He had a visibly happy relationship with his brother and his sister in law
He was very fulfilled with the work he was doing with Armed forces charities
He was very engaged with the Invictus Games
He was closely engaged and enjoying his work with the Marines and his other Colonel'cies
The Queen and his brother were both leaning on him for greater engagement with the Commonwealth
He had a selection of long time, very loyal and close mouthed male friends he could let his hair down with socially

All things he no longer has..... now when did this start to unravel......?

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”